Subbies Thread

I will easily have a go at the VTCA, which seem to be running very poorly and I would think the Subbies are far better run. It's just that I think regional cricket will be better for the game in the long run. Numbers are dropping off everywhere, its the length of a days play and the travel especially for younger players in lower XI's. It is now a fact that Saturday's are now the worst times on our roads. I also believe that Premier should be slashed to 12 teams, hows that ?

Agree with your last point.

The expansion of Premier Cricket is absolutely ludicrous, 20 teams of 4 XI's will make things much, much worse.

Agree with your last point.

The expansion of Premier Cricket is absolutely ludicrous, 20 teams of 4 XI's will make things much, much worse.

Although I think 20 is probably the limit, provided they are in the right areas I don’t have a problem with 16-20 premier teams. I have real a problem with 3rds and 4ths XIs – and I was involved in a developmental role with a premier club in the lower grades.
Get rid of 3rds and 4ths – have the players play for their local club, and get called up to 2nds when required.
· This should be done under the proviso that clubs are encouraged to encourage their kids to play at that higher level.
· And premier clubs are required to run development squads. Hopefully that'll involve the talented kids in each region training with premier clubs, so they are ready to move straight into Premier 2nds – while also getting the added benefit of playing with and against older, harder (perhaps wiser) cricket heads

If you drop premier to 12 teams either clubs will have to merge or join another which I can't see it happening NO club in premier will dive on there own sword to many egos in premier for that to happen it should but won't

Although I think 20 is probably the limit, provided they are in the right areas I don’t have a problem with 16-20 premier teams. I have real a problem with 3rds and 4ths XIs – and I was involved in a developmental role with a premier club in the lower grades.
Get rid of 3rds and 4ths – have the players play for their local club, and get called up to 2nds when required.
· This should be done under the proviso that clubs are encouraged to encourage their kids to play at that higher level.
· And premier clubs are required to run development squads. Hopefully that'll involve the talented kids in each region training with premier clubs, so they are ready to move straight into Premier 2nds – while also getting the added benefit of playing with and against older, harder (perhaps wiser) cricket heads
I'm not sure the "call up" system is ever going to work.

The novelty of being "called up" for youngsters is soon going to wear off. They will feel no connection to the other players and their local clubs will soon tire of losing players at short notice when they are selecting their own teams.

I've been banging on for a while about the need for any restructure to include a promotion/relegation system through to Premier Cricket and I'm still to see a workable model being espoused by CV.

But we are certainly seeing an increase in "traffic" on the Subbies site, with every man and his "dog" from the VTCA telling us what we should be doing with our competition. I repeat, "thanks for the gratutitous advice, lads, but we'll take it from here".

And, if any of your VTCA clubs want to jump ship. tell 'em to form an orderly line and we'll give them the once over in due course.

I wonder why Ken is leaving the subbies--is he at odds with the uncompromising stance taken by colleagues on the VSDCA executive? Or, alternatively, very unhappy with CV's plans to put the turf-only comps out of business? I wouldn't be surprised if there was not complete uninamity within the ranks of the VSDCA executive on its defiant stance. If you hear anything I would be interested to know.The loss of such a key and super-competent official at this critical time is bound to raise speculation unless and until the reasons are known.
I'm not sure if Ken is leaving subbies. His helping out at McKinnon to guide us through a tough period for cricket in the area to make sure the club comes out the other end in a strong position.

Westland I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for anything of substance to come back from Scratch. His posts are pretty much taking potshots at subbies, taking potshots at individuals, taking potshots at subbies, taking potshots at anyone other than VTCA, taking potshots at subbies, taking potshots at anyone associated with subbies, taking potshots at subbies, carping on about the defunct subbies dividend, taking potshots at subbies, and his other specialty, giving donuts. That's what you will get back from him on your request.

Thanks for the ''heads up''. In future, I will think long and hard as to whether I should respond to ''rumours'', irrespective of the poster. We obviously have plenty matters of substance to post about at the moment. I share with many of you deep concern at the current uncertainties in respect to the future structure of metropolitan cricket. At this critical time, cheap potshots are a luxury we can ill afford. That has not, and never will be, my modus operandi.

I will easily have a go at the VTCA, which seem to be running very poorly and I would think the Subbies are far better run. It's just that I think regional cricket will be better for the game in the long run. Numbers are dropping off everywhere, its the length of a days play and the travel especially for younger players in lower XI's. It is now a fact that Saturday's are now the worst times on our roads. I also believe that Premier should be slashed to 12 teams, hows that ?

It's a start but you posted that CV have made changes to the restructure proposal, is there a reason why you can't elaborate?

I see Brighton and Coburg have just started advertising for a CC. Would seem late to start looking with pre-season not far away.

Extremely late. Wouldn't think there would be too much quality left. All premier club's will be about to start pre-season and subbies clubs should've planed their's.

I'm not sure if Ken is leaving subbies. His helping out at McKinnon to guide us through a tough period for cricket in the area to make sure the club comes out the other end in a strong position.

I think you will have enough help with a Mckinnon person also on CV committee wouldn't you think ?????

The president of the SECA didn't rule it out at a recent presentation night, he said that the SECA would likely be apart of some sort of re-structure. It would make sense for them to align with south.

There are many clubs and club reps in the SECA that are concerned with the perceived view of the president and a couple of his Hench men in relation to CV's proposed re-structure. The SECA is one of the premier synthetic comps in Melbourne and most people want it to stay that way, therefore, any thoughts of SECA aligning with a Turf comp / structure will certainly not get past the vote from its members.

Mr Cox was the one I believe pushing it

Yes Mr Cox in his wisdom and grab for glory is pushing forward with empire building. The problem is, most senior people in the SECA do not want this to happen. Their fear is that the Synthetic component of the proposal would allow the turf comp to take precedent at the expense of the Synthetic clubs on which the comp has been based on for over 80 years.
I know of at least 6 Longmuir clubs who would not vote for this at the moment.

Back