Subbies Thread

I hear 6 in total from the 11 that played in the semi last year.

N. Allen, M. Allen, Geisler, Rogers (premier), Buhagiar and Mwayenga.

Of the above, I am advised Geisler is in discussion with Darley. Don't know where the Allen's are headed. My info is that the club's major sponsor over recent years wished to be president and he walked when the existing pres would not stand down resulting in the club not being as flush with funds as it once was.

Of the above, I am advised Geisler is in discussion with Darley. Don't know where the Allen's are headed. My info is that the club's major sponsor over recent years wished to be president and he walked when the existing pres would not stand down resulting in the club not being as flush with funds as it once was.
Aren't you only allowed to pay 2 players........................................

Had a little chuckle myself...seriously we should all have lucky dip where Mick Allen might end up,i'll go Sunshine,they might have some cash left at this late stage?

C'mon guys, is it really appropriate to be espousing, in a public forum, supposed departures en masse from one of our VSDCA brethren club’s?

Discussing rumoured coming and going’s and key signings is one thing but talking to mass playing departures at a club and/or Executive Committee disputes, etc is another.

Kevin Vernon has been President of the Melton Cricket Club for 25 years and has overseen, arguably, the most successful VSDCA on-field program of the past decade. The Melton Cricket Club should be one of the most respected and revered within the VSDCA.

Let us have respect for our fellow VSDCA clubs and particularly those that have been as successful as Melton. Many on this forum hold inner-sanctum positions at their respective clubs and, as such, certain things would be known based on discussions had with Executive peers at other clubs or through players who have been engaged to consider new horizons – is this a forum to share information that has been either procured “in-confidence” or shared from a club “insider” that wouldn’t have the foggiest idea as to what was truly going on at his own club.

As for insinuations as to how many players may be paid at any VSDCA club, correct – all 28 VSDCA clubs are bound by the same rules that no more than 2 players can be paid. I’m sure that we could cast our eye over all clubs and conclude (as outsiders) that 20 to 24 clubs must be paying more than 2 players but what would we know. Caulfield, Werribee, Oakleigh, Malvern, Melton, Ormond, Bayswater, Plenty Valley, Williamstown (now), my own RPBCC have deep squads but we would have no idea as to what the incentive of individual players at those clubs is to play where they do.

In a time of such uncertainty for turf cricket within Metropolitan Melbourne and the untold pressure confronting the VSDCA, I would think it best that we rally together and try to protect our VSDCA brethren as opposed to spreading rumour and innuendo with regards to en masse player departures or Executive Committee upheaval.

Precisely,just doing what cricket people do,talk cricket,no disrespect or dancing on anyones grave that i can see.
we like to know who's not playing,who's going where etc,just general interest to most of us.
Lighten up!

Yeap. Good call. Agree 100% and there is certainly much value add with any cricket forum and 99% of this forum is conducted within the right spirit. However, I have too much respect for the Melton Cricket Club and both their Administration and playing personnel to not pass comment that I feel current conversation going down a tactless path.

However, if it’s going to take this current tact, let’s remove the cloak of anonymity with aliases and openly share information we know about all clubs within our peer universe. Would all be happy if their own club was opened to the same level of scrutiny and public opinion?

If a cricket forum is to hypothesise as to how many players get paid, cast aspersions, engage in and spread rumour and innuendo let’s set the boundaries now but I would suggest this a path that no cricket forum wants to go down with no winners at either a club or individual level.

Yeap. Good call. Agree 100% and there is certainly much value add with any cricket forum and 99% of this forum is conducted within the right spirit. However, I have too much respect for the Melton Cricket Club and both their Administration and playing personnel to not pass comment that I feel current conversation going down a tactless path.

However, if it’s going to take this current tact, let’s remove the cloak of anonymity with aliases and openly share information we know about all clubs within our peer universe. Would all be happy if their own club was opened to the same level of scrutiny and public opinion?

If a cricket forum is to hypothesise as to how many players get paid, cast aspersions, engage in and spread rumour and innuendo let’s set the boundaries now but I would suggest this a path that no cricket forum wants to go down with no winners at either a club or individual level.

Ben, why haven't the subbies introduced a player points system? It is clearly more transparent. It is the lack of transparency of the existing provisions that is the cause of the ribald mirth evident on posts on this page. Has your club raised the issue of introducing a player points system and, if not, will it consider doing so? As my initial post on this page was devoid of inferences I do not think I have overstepped the mark. Although I have never been connected with Melton, I have favourably known Kevin Vernon for more years than both of us would care to remember.

Ben, was a light hearted comm

Ben, was a light hearted joke. But the post does beg the question if the money has gone why have 6 blokes walked out? Might be good reason.

The last thing I would do is have a go at another club, but the sooner the points system comes in, the better.

Ben, was a light hearted comm

Ben, was a light hearted joke. But the post does beg the question if the money has gone why have 6 blokes walked out? Might be good reason.

The last thing I would do is have a go at another club, but the sooner the points system comes in, the better.

Fully agree. What I strongly disagree with is Ben's view we should voluntarily restrict our right to free speech. For example, if people at Melton disagree with recent posts on this forum they are perfectly entitled to exercise their right to free speech by posting their views on this forum.

Fully agree. What I strongly disagree with is Ben's view we should voluntarily restrict our right to free speech. For example, if people at Melton disagree with recent posts on this forum they are perfectly entitled to exercise their right to free speech by posting their views on this forum.

Hang on guys, a couple of things to clarify with regards to my comments:

- I have no objection to anyone's right to free speech. None whatsoever and, infact, that is the primary purpose of these forums; an outlet to express an opinion

- what I was concerned with was the naming of 6 players, insinuation that they are paid, the public representation of rumour that there has been a falling out at an Administrative level, etc

Whether 6 players are leaving Melton or not, whether Melton used to pay big money for playing personnel, whether Melton has had a behind the scenes falling out or not is moot and irrelevant to my position.

Personally, I am uncomfortable with the public domain representation of certain information (whether fact or rumour) about peer group clubs and simply ask individuals to consider how they would feel if sensitive information with regards to their own club was being shared in a public domain.

Anyone who knows me personally would know that I am one of the more connected individuals in the VSDCA with both players and officials alike. Maybe it's a personal position only but I would think it inappropriate for me to share in a public domain all that I am privvy to as fact (not rumour) with regards to peer VSDCA clubs, players of these clubs, finances of clubs, who is paid and who is not and how much certain players are paid. I just feel certain things are not for public consumption and individual players were named today, money troubles insinuated and Executive Committee/benefactor disharmony represented.

Ben, why haven't the subbies introduced a player points system? It is clearly more transparent. It is the lack of transparency of the existing provisions that is the cause of the ribald mirth evident on posts on this page. Has your club raised the issue of introducing a player points system and, if not, will it consider doing so? As my initial post on this page was devoid of inferences I do not think I have overstepped the mark. Although I have never been connected with Melton, I have favourably known Kevin Vernon for more years than both of us would care to remember.

The introduction of a Player Points system was proposed to VSDCA Affiliates some years ago and the concept was overwhelmingly defeated.

A Player Points system is not a silver bullet solution to anything. Premier Cricket introduced this model a few years ago and, following the introduction of said system, many clubs are trading in the red.

The Player Points system is as open to manipulation (anyone who understands the nuances of the system will understand what I an saying with this regard).

My personal view is that I would abolish reference within the VSDCA Rules to 2 paid players and openly allow a free market economy (this stops all innuendo as any club can do as they wish - let's be honest, it is as happens now anyway).

Cricket has changed in the last 10 years. 2 or 3 marquee players in the twilight of their career does not a Premiership team make. If you have role playing athletes who can run between wickets and can field - you can start a game 40 to 60 runs ahead of the opposition.

You do not need names and you do not need spend money to enjoy success.

People can contend otherwise and mock the unique view of approach I have on list management but the fact is that using this "money ball" role playing approach to list management with a non-negotiable requirement on athleticism resulted in a RPBCC 1st XI (with an average age of less than 21) finishing as minor Premiers and 3 wickets away from a Premiership in the season past.

The fact is, in 2015, I would rather an elite fielding side of 17 to 21yo's who are hungry to further their career and thankful for the opportunies they have been presented than I would returning Premier players seeking a superannuation payment.

The introduction of a Player Points system was proposed to VSDCA Affiliates some years ago and the concept was overwhelmingly defeated.

A Player Points system is not a silver bullet solution to anything. Premier Cricket introduced this model a few years ago and, following the introduction of said system, many clubs are trading in the red.

The Player Points system is as open to manipulation (anyone who understands the nuances of the system will understand what I an saying with this regard).

My personal view is that I would abolish reference within the VSDCA Rules to 2 paid players and openly allow a free market economy (this stops all innuendo as any club can do as they wish - let's be honest, it is as happens now anyway).

Cricket has changed in the last 10 years. 2 or 3 marquee players in the twilight of their career does not a Premiership team make. If you have role playing athletes who can run between wickets and can field - you can start a game 40 to 60 runs ahead of the opposition.

People can contend otherwise and mock the unique view of approach I have on list management but the fact is that using this "money ball" role playing approach to list management with a non-negotiable requirement on athleticism resulted in a RPBCC 1st XI (with an average age of less than 21) finishing as minor Premiers and 3 wickets away from a Premiership in the season past.

The fact is, in 2015, I would rather an elite fielding side of 17 to 21yo's who are hungry to further their career and thankful for the opportunies they have been presented than I would returning Premier players seeking a superannuation payment.
Agree with your last comment Ben, you need to build a side with a far chunk of local/young talent that have some commitment to the club. If not, then if you lose the names one year, you have a big hole!

As a club, I think Malvern seem to do this really well. Whenever I thing they're gone, they seem to pull some good young kids from nowhere!

You can't on one hand (dismiss) talk about premier clubs trading in the red due to the points system and then on the other advocate a free market, it's contradictory. Look no further than local football to see how a lack of a cap on player payments can damage clubs and competitions. And then look at a "regulated" comp like the VAFA and the never ending speculation about who is on the take. The points system is e most transparent and I'd back that in every competition. It might revitalise the hatch comp too.

Many clubs trading in the red you say. Is this fact? Who?

Back