Subbies Thread

Turns out my 'mail' wasn't too bad...
South/West next year will be massive if the changes do go ahead as predicted.
You don't sound too impressed with the merger Super Saint, were you in that 7% against it?
Best of luck to Kingston going into Premier Cricket.
That is now the 10th VSDCA Club that has made its way into Premier ranks and still CV are trying to eliminate our competition, funny how it works, they are happy to get rid of us but as soon as they need a top up Club we are the ones they turn to...
Same as you do with the VTCA !

I'm a bit indifferent. Undoubtedly a great opportunity, having been part of the committee for a long time, I know how hard it is to get people to do work, which has to happen here. Let's hope plenty of people put up their hand. for me, this is the perfect opportunity to hand the batten to the next generation.

I have a tinge of sadness for you SS, despite my not knowing you at all. The passion and enthusiasm for the Saints, and the subbies, so often evident in your posts means you have suffered a significant loss. It would be a good for you, I think, to direct your energies to getting a 5ths and 6ths established. BTW, given Phil O'M will be the director of cricket, does that mean he will relinquish his subbies involvement? I was then about to ask you who you think may take his place at the subbies, but then realised I probably shouldn't now be asking you that question! It's quite a wrench for you at this time.

I have a tinge of sadness for you SS, despite my not knowing you at all. The passion and enthusiasm for the Saints, and the subbies, so often evident in your posts means you have suffered a significant loss. It would be a good for you, I think, to direct your energies to getting a 5ths and 6ths established. BTW, given Phil O'M will be the director of cricket, does that mean he will relinquish his subbies involvement? I was then about to ask you who you think may take his place at the subbies, but then realised I probably shouldn't now be asking you that question! It's quite a wrench for you at this time.
Yes, I must admit there are some things that concern me about this merger. I have been at the club all my career, other than a fleeting preseason at Prahan a long time ago, and was there when we merged 20 years ago. The process over the last few months has given me the proverbial 'pain in the guts' as well as a lot of sleepness nights.
From a cricket point of view, I have probably enjoyed my time in the subbies the best over my 25+ year career. The competition is fierce, however, the comradeship between players of both sides is fantastic. There are plenty of guys who, once you've played against, you really enjoy a chat and a beer afterwards. To me, its a fantastic competition.
From a personal point of view, I had probably set myself for one last year of having a real crack. This will not happen at Kingston Saints, who knows where I may end up. It is sad, but the club as a whole, has categorically gone down that path and I respect that. I just hope to hell it is a success.
Whilst I hope the club goes down the 5th or 6th XI's, I'm not sure I would want to play in it this year, but in years to come I will certainly return. Whatever happens going forward, St Bedes Old Collegians/St Johns St Bedes/Kingston Saints/Kingston Hawthorn will be where I consider my home to be. After being on the committee for 25 years, now is as good as any time to hand over.
In relation to Phil, I can only assume he would resign from all subbies positions, not sure who will take over, but I'm sure someone with a passion for subbies will.
One last piece of advise, if I was a subbies club, I would be trying to hook into our captain coach.

Going to be interesting after tonight's vote.

My mail is that it will go through, Hoppers will come into the VSDCA and into the West Group, RPB will move into the North Group, Balwyn into the East and then Oakleigh into the South.

A few months ago you posted Hoppers would come into the VSDCA and I expressed surprise given VTCA president, Steve McNamara, is a Hoppers man. But, of course, that would not prevent it happening if sufficient members were to vote in favour of the move. Have you heard if matters are at the stage where members will be asked to vote? If the club intend to move as from 2015-16 there would need to be a vote pretty soon I should think.

There was an article in the Star Weekly this afternoon stating Hoppers had formally submitted an EOE to the VSDCA on Tuesday, and will vote upon moving on the 1st July.

One last piece of advise, if I was a subbies club, I would be trying to hook into our captain coach.[/QUOTE]

You and the CC a double package Super? ;)

Good Luck to the Saints/Hawks.

There was an article in the Star Weekly this afternoon stating Hoppers had formally submitted an EOE to the VSDCA on Tuesday, and will vote upon moving on the 1st July.

Very interesting and thanks. May help them lure players from W'bee, particularly the ones not interested in being part of Premier cricket. And, of course, avoids a bye in subbies. I don't think CV will be happy with this development --too bad, they are not entitled to any sympathy.

Yes, I must admit there are some things that concern me about this merger. I have been at the club all my career, other than a fleeting preseason at Prahan a long time ago, and was there when we merged 20 years ago. The process over the last few months has given me the proverbial 'pain in the guts' as well as a lot of sleepness nights.
From a cricket point of view, I have probably enjoyed my time in the subbies the best over my 25+ year career. The competition is fierce, however, the comradeship between players of both sides is fantastic. There are plenty of guys who, once you've played against, you really enjoy a chat and a beer afterwards. To me, its a fantastic competition.
From a personal point of view, I had probably set myself for one last year of having a real crack. This will not happen at Kingston Saints, who knows where I may end up. It is sad, but the club as a whole, has categorically gone down that path and I respect that. I just hope to hell it is a success.
Whilst I hope the club goes down the 5th or 6th XI's, I'm not sure I would want to play in it this year, but in years to come I will certainly return. Whatever happens going forward, St Bedes Old Collegians/St Johns St Bedes/Kingston Saints/Kingston Hawthorn will be where I consider my home to be. After being on the committee for 25 years, now is as good as any time to hand over.
In relation to Phil, I can only assume he would resign from all subbies positions, not sure who will take over, but I'm sure someone with a passion for subbies will.
One last piece of advise, if I was a subbies club, I would be trying to hook into our captain coach.
If Kingston Hawthorn go down the 5th and 6th path try to get them into DDCA or MCA

You and the CC a double package Super? ;)

Good Luck to the Saints/Hawks.[/QUOTE]
Don't think so but he is a super player and a good pick up. Not interested in playing premier. Then again could be a package

Back