Subbies Thread

Can't believe I just wasted valuable time reading that 'articulate' piece of writing.
I think he deserves a little better, YWL, because there would be at least 20 clubs who would love to have him as President

We all marvel at what he and his administrators have done at RPB. With all the challenges and setbacks they have suffered over the last few years, it would have been easy to walk away and say "its all too hard." Instead he stuck and developed an imaginative program that had his club finish on top of the powerful West Group, make the final and almost win the flag.

Based on that record, I'm happy to read anything he's got to say.

Last edited:
I think he deserves a little better, YWL, because there would be at least 20 clubs who would love to have him as President

We all marvel at what he and his administrators have done at RPB. With all the challenges and setbacks they have suffered over the last few years, it would have been easy to walk away and say "its all too hard." Instead he stuck and developed an imaginary program that had his club finish on top of the powerful West Group, make the final and almost win the flag.

Based on that record, I'm happy to read anything he's got to say.

Maybe there is a lot of love between Melton and RPB.

Not disputing his record but all that was, was five paragraphs of how good he is and me, me, me, give us a spell.

Wouldn't have thought that I am positioning myself as the guardian angel of all things VSDCA, not in the least.

In fact, in the last 4 years, there has only been 3 occasions as to where I have felt a need to comment on anything within this forum; 1) in defence of an uneducated and prejudiced attack on my Captain/Coach of the time and close personal friend of 15+ years, Jody Hutchinson, 2) when certain comments were made with regards to the 14/15 Grand Final wicket at Lakeside Reserve, and 3) the most recent example where I (personally) feel that certain developments at Melton were being misrepresented.

In a 4 year period that I have held a BigCricket account, my total posts would be limited to a dozen total and covering the 3 subjects (as above) exclusively. As such, we probably conclude that 1) I will defend the club for whom I have been President for 12 years only when I feel the need arises, and 2) I will come to the defence of those that I have personal relationships with where I have misgivings as to how they are being represented. I don't involve myself in any of the other musings/observations/rumour mongering, etc even when I know content to be devoid of fact.

All said, no offence taken with the perception that I am positioning myself as a moral or ethical guardian of all things VSDCA but, rather, more simply - I have proven myself to defend club as well as personal relationships where I have felt the need arose. Furthermore, anyone who knows me certainly knows and appreciates that I have zero interest in the public perception of myself and that I do not represent the views and opinions of VSDCA but, rather, I would imagine my reputation being that of someone who is unfiltered and passionate in his views when it is something close to his heart (outside that - none of my business).

Anyone thinking that I would be positioning myself as a moral guardian clearly hasn't played against me or any side that I have Captained as I am the last individual with any right to take the moral and ethical highground on all things cricket. I'm sure SS can speak to a game out at Kingston 3 years ago as evidence to the fact that I certainly have no intention of positioning myself as a moral guardian of all that can be considered good and ethical in cricket.

I well remember point 1 of your above post. I so dismayed by the disrespectful responses you recieved I then suggested you refrain from further posting on this forum and, until recently, you have. I accept that on this forum I risk from time-to-time posters having having potshots at me whether justified or not. But I do not think it advisable for someone who holds such high office as you to put yourself in this situation. Surely there must be someone at your club who can post your club's views in respect to matters such as all three in your above post. This logically leads me to my final point, and it is I agree totally with what I think RTG is trying to convey to you--that you cannot post on this forum expressing your personal view because of the position you hold at your club. The great majority on this forum adhere to the philosophical view that we should post under usernames for reasons given in my most recent post to YWL. If you continue posting you must accept you are out of line with the thinking of the majority.

Do we know if Oakleigh have lost any? Word was half way through the season that last year was going to be Spike's swansong. Do we know if he has changed his mind and is suiting up?

Not too sure mate, Spike is a much loved and revered character you would think that there would have been some sort of send off. Oakleigh surely premiership favourites and as previously mentioned what a comp the South/West will be if they join it.

Or perhaps we can take a VERY abridged portion of your #1527 post. "I was relying on third parties.... I took their advice in good faith.... they had always been correct etc. etc.

Perhaps you could then forward an apology to Melton for your irresponsible and (inaccurate) comments regarding their major sponsor,
or do you refer them to #1527?

Good work by YWL, he was all over it, you, not so much!!!

YWL,decent trek from Gisborne to Oakleigh,certainly have gazumped all the west group sides,anything known on his brother,thought they were inseparable?

I well remember point 1 of your above post. I so dismayed by the disrespectful responses you recieved I then suggested you refrain from further posting on this forum and, until recently, you have. I accept that on this forum I risk from time-to-time posters having having potshots at me whether justified or not. But I do not think it advisable for someone who holds such high office as you to put yourself in this situation. Surely there must be someone at your club who can post your club's views in respect to matters such as all three in your above post. This logically leads me to my final point, and it is I agree totally with what I think RTG is trying to convey to you--that you cannot post on this forum expressing your personal view because of the position you hold at your club. The great majority on this forum adhere to the philosophical view that we should post under usernames for reasons given in my most recent post to YWL. If you continue posting you must accept you are out of line with the thinking of the majority.

Thankyou for this advice. Noted and appreciated and also have not forgotten your support during the Jody Hutchinson saga of a few seasons ago.

No - I have no intention of delegating the responsibility of communications to any member of my club and this approach is quite deliberate. All public communications and representation of club opinion has always and will continue to be owned exclusively by myself. I, alone, are therefore responsible and accountable.

Our club is driven by the importance of brand equity and how brand equity drives brand loyalty (with members, sponsors, 3rd party benefactors and contributors, players, etc). I will ensure that, at all times, RPBCC views or opinions are espoused only by myself to best protect the club's brand and the loyalty of those who we need to have in the brand. As a leader, you cannot demand unequivocal and non-negotiable loyalty of your club, members and those within your peer universe if you do not afford those same parties the loyalty you request of them.

At the RPBCC, we have stringent, non-negotiable standards with regards to the public representation of the club. As evidence of this, can anyone ever recall a Falcon member publicly revealing going's on at the Falcons or talking to rumours at any other VSDCA club? The answer is categoric no. Infact, if any Falcon member was to pass negative comment in a public domain with regards to another VSDCA club or player - they are well aware as to what a difficult conversation would ensue for them. Other clubs clearly do not operate under a similar model of controlled messaging in a public forum and this is their choice.

Each to their own but the Falcon's operate in accordance with our own values, standards and beliefs and, to be honest, if any member of the Falcons had been responsible for posts talking to mass player exodus, Committee upheaval, etc - a firm discussion would have already been had as to whether said member is best suited to continue to live Falcon values.

We, at the Falcons, know what we stand for and I, personally, will never shirk the responsibility of defending what I believe is right. The responsibility of representing club values or opinions sits with I alone.

All said, as has been the approach for years, I have no intention in involving myself in idle gossip or innuendo. Furthermore, contributors to this page have and are welcome to continue to say whatever they like about me personally. Love me, loathe me, personally attack me - no response will be forthcoming.

However, I have and will continue to respond on any occasion that my club, leaders of my club or others within cricket circles are disrespected. If this approach is uncomfortable for some, I am prepared to live with it

If out of line with the majority opinion of anonymous posters, so be it but we at the Falcon's hold ourselves to our own standards and not those that others wish to impose on us and we have become a successful club, both on and off-field, by not adhering to what could be considered the "norm" or the "majority opinion".

I hope and trust that this is the last I need comment with regards to concerns expressed to the "majority view" held over my ability to pass public commentary in defence of what I consider right/wrong.

Ben Wood
President
RPBCC Falcons

Or perhaps we can take a VERY abridged portion of your #1527 post. "I was relying on third parties.... I took their advice in good faith.... they had always been correct etc. etc.

Perhaps you could then forward an apology to Melton for your irresponsible and (inaccurate) comments regarding their major sponsor,
or do you refer them to #1527?

Good work by YWL, he was all over it, you, not so much!!!

The opening sentence of your post 1514 reads ''Come round 1, there is every change (sic) that the Allen brothers might still be at Melton.''
After that effort, you are in no position to be critical of me. What does your statement say about your sources? What I want to hear from you is why Mick Allen has left.

The opening sentence of your post 1514 reads ''Come round 1, there is every change (sic) that the Allen brothers might still be at Melton.''
After that effort, you are in no position to be critical of me. What does your statement say about your sources? What I want to hear from you is why Mick Allen has left.
See the phrases " Every Change (sic) and MIGHT" may give you just a slight clue that the club was still in negotiations with the Allens' and was hopeful of retaining them, no more or no less.

As opposed to your, and I repeat, irresponsible and inaccurate comments regarding their major sponsor. Obviously whilst you seem to have a view on everything else over the last few weeks, you have taken the vow of silence on this one.

As far as the Allen brothers are concerned, I have no idea why they have decided to leave ,and, as such I won't be commenting until I do.

Perhaps you can follow suite?

Long trek but good luck to him, has been a great player and joins a great Club. Nathan will either be at Spotswood or Yarraville next season I believe.
Is this confirmed? (M. Allen)

Long trek is understating it. That's insane. Perhaps he's working on that side of town or moving. Oakleigh is a great cricket club. But with Saturday morning traffic these days, his best bet will be to leave for the game Friday evening.

Is this confirmed? (M. Allen)

Long trek is understating it. That's insane. Perhaps he's working on that side of town or moving. Oakleigh is a great cricket club. But with Saturday morning traffic these days, his best bet will be to leave for the game Friday evening.
What about getting to training on a Tuesday & Thursday night?

Thankyou for this advice. Noted and appreciated and also have not forgotten your support during the Jody Hutchinson saga of a few seasons ago.

No - I have no intention of delegating the responsibility of communications to any member of my club and this approach is quite deliberate. All public communications and representation of club opinion has always and will continue to be owned exclusively by myself. I, alone, are therefore responsible and accountable.

Our club is driven by the importance of brand equity and how brand equity drives brand loyalty (with members, sponsors, 3rd party benefactors and contributors, players, etc). I will ensure that, at all times, RPBCC views or opinions are espoused only by myself to best protect the club's brand and the loyalty of those who we need to have in the brand. As a leader, you cannot demand unequivocal and non-negotiable loyalty of your club, members and those within your peer universe if you do not afford those same parties the loyalty you request of them.

At the RPBCC, we have stringent, non-negotiable standards with regards to the public representation of the club. As evidence of this, can anyone ever recall a Falcon member publicly revealing going's on at the Falcons or talking to rumours at any other VSDCA club? The answer is categoric no. Infact, if any Falcon member was to pass negative comment in a public domain with regards to another VSDCA club or player - they are well aware as to what a difficult conversation would ensue for them. Other clubs clearly do not operate under a similar model of controlled messaging in a public forum and this is their choice.

Each to their own but the Falcon's operate in accordance with our own values, standards and beliefs and, to be honest, if any member of the Falcons had been responsible for posts talking to mass player exodus, Committee upheaval, etc - a firm discussion would have already been had as to whether said member is best suited to continue to live Falcon values.

We, at the Falcons, know what we stand for and I, personally, will never shirk the responsibility of defending what I believe is right. The responsibility of representing club values or opinions sits with I alone.

All said, as has been the approach for years, I have no intention in involving myself in idle gossip or innuendo. Furthermore, contributors to this page have and are welcome to continue to say whatever they like about me personally. Love me, loathe me, personally attack me - no response will be forthcoming.

However, I have and will continue to respond on any occasion that my club, leaders of my club or others within cricket circles are disrespected. If this approach is uncomfortable for some, I am prepared to live with it

If out of line with the majority opinion of anonymous posters, so be it but we at the Falcon's hold ourselves to our own standards and not those that others wish to impose on us and we have become a successful club, both on and off-field, by not adhering to what could be considered the "norm" or the "majority opinion".

I hope and trust that this is the last I need comment with regards to concerns expressed to the "majority view" held over my ability to pass public commentary in defence of what I consider right/wrong.

Ben Wood
President
RPBCC Falcons

My absolute last comment on the matter.

Here is what you said a few pages back "Discussing rumoured coming and going’s and key signings is one thing but talking to mass playing departures at a club and/or Executive Committee disputes, etc is another."

Since then, it seems that 3 players will leave Melton, and perhaps another 3 who are easily replaced despite being in their semi side last year. Cut it or dice it any way you like but at this point it would appear the mail was spot on. In my opinion, this now makes you look silly.

As for the sponsor who may or may not of wanted to be President, I don't see how this even reflects poorly on Melton should it be fact. If Melton did tell the guy to take his $$$ and get going, that's good, so they should have. And, none of us will probably ever know the truth assuming we actually care which I definitely don't. Either way, what you are doing by commenting and then continuing to comment is keeping it topical, you are giving it oxygen, precisely the opposite of what I expect Melton would prefer. Have they felt the need to comment publicly? I haven't seen it if they have.

If I was Melton's President, I would be telling you to drop it, and to stick to looking after your own backyard.

My absolute last comment on the matter.

Here is what you said a few pages back "Discussing rumoured coming and going’s and key signings is one thing but talking to mass playing departures at a club and/or Executive Committee disputes, etc is another."

Since then, it seems that 3 players will leave Melton, and perhaps another 3 who are easily replaced despite being in their semi side last year. Cut it or dice it any way you like but at this point it would appear the mail was spot on. In my opinion, this now makes you look silly.

As for the sponsor who may or may not of wanted to be President, I don't see how this even reflects poorly on Melton should it be fact. If Melton did tell the guy to take his $$$ and get going, that's good, so they should have. And, none of us will probably ever know the truth assuming we actually care which I definitely don't. Either way, what you are doing by commenting and then continuing to comment is keeping it topical, you are giving it oxygen, precisely the opposite of what I expect Melton would prefer. Have they felt the need to comment publicly? I haven't seen it if they have.

If I was Melton's President, I would be telling you to drop it, and to stick to looking after your own backyard.

Absolutely, it was YWL's revelation of the departure of 6 players that was the big news. The issue of the major sponsor was very much a secondary issue and what you have said in this post about that matter also sums up perfectly my thoughts. As I have failed to dissuade Ben from his present path I can see no point in further concerning myself with this matter. Hence, like you, this will be my final post on this issue.

Back