Subbies Thread

Those that think bringing in the points system will encourage spending should highlight this to AFL Victoria, who are bringing in the points system to stop over the top spending.

Funny, most other comps are going towards points system. But yeah, subbies is the best so why change right.

Wish Cricket Victoria followed the lead of footy and tell the associations this is how cricket will be run in this state, rather than negotiating.

AFL Victoria are doing this because there are Club's who are dominating year in and year out without losing games and spending obscene amounts of money making the competition extremely uneven. I don't believe this to be the case in subbies. Yes sides like Caulfield and Oakleigh and recently Plenty Valley have been very, very strong but not to the same extent of a Deer Park in the WRFL or an Aberfeldie in the EDFL.

AFL Victoria are doing this because there are Club's who are dominating year in and year out without losing games and spending obscene amounts of money making the competition extremely uneven. I don't believe this to be the case in subbies. Yes sides like Caulfield and Oakleigh and recently Plenty Valley have been very, very strong but not to the same extent of a Deer Park in the WRFL or an Aberfeldie in the EDFL.
To some degree thats to do with the vagaries of cricket. The way Malvern can knock off Plenty Valley and Caulfield in the finals just won't happen in footy.

A couple of fundamental changes since the player points system was defeated several years ago that now need to be factored in are that the dividend has been phased out and the subbies clubs have decided to go it alone having rejected the subbies model. A decision I support by the way. What a mess CV is making of things at the moment. The only certainty is uncertainty!

A couple of fundamental changes since the player points system was defeated several years ago that now need to be factored in are that the dividend has been phased out and the subbies clubs have decided to go it alone having rejected the subbies model. A decision I support by the way. What a mess CV is making of things at the moment. The only certainty is uncertainty!

Sorry, I meant to say having rejected the CV model

I believe the vtca cap is 39 points

Scratch, below is an actual case involving the 39 points cap which may be of interest. As you know, Yarraville Club C C's K Kurta had an outstanding 2014-15 season but played the entire 2013-14 season in the twos. The reason given me by a member of the club's executive was that in 2013-14 they couldn't fit him into the ones without exceeding the 39 points. That is, the player they would have wished to drop to make way for him had a lesser numerical ranking on his head than had Kurta. B&G is absolutely correct in his interpretation of the points system in that it would not have prevented the club paying Kurta to play in the twos. But whether or not that happened I have no idea, nor do I care. I do, however, believe the loyalty displayed to the subbies by all the clubs getting behind the Executive in defying the bullyboy tactics of CV should should be rewarded by it doing whatever it reasonably can to allow member clubs to compete on a level playing field. The Executive should form a sub committee to explore avenues to allow this to happen, the sub committees report then being provided to all clubs for their input.

Westland, I agree with the sentiment but would the proposed system attribute points to premier players coming back to play subbies? If so could that discourage premier players, paid/ unpaid, to head back to local cricket if they're at risk of not getting a game or creating headaches for their club?

Westland, I agree with the sentiment but would the proposed system attribute points to premier players coming back to play subbies? If so could that discourage premier players, paid/ unpaid, to head back to local cricket if they're at risk of not getting a game or creating headaches for their club?
This sort of thing is what is thrashed out in the detail. If somebody played subbies at a club then went to premier and is coming back. He'd be considered a junior, or home grown player.

If they're going to go to a subbies club they never played at, if they're a 1s or 2s premier cricketer, likely they'll have been recruited to the club. And that's something they and the club would have to consider when assessing their list. If "Caulfield" won't be able to fit him into the ones at their club then he might consider playing at "Ormond" or "Malvern" who may have room in the cap in that given year. And that would be the point system working as intended (as an equalisation measure).

But until you attribute a points cap and points values to these players/player categories then its something you can't really fret.

Its something that should be up to the clubs/comp to decide and could be done by benchmarking teams from the last couple of years to decide what is an appropriate limit for clubs.

Basically yes, I think it would dramatically change the culture of a competition which has operated essentially under the same conditions for the best part of 100+ years. Local footy often has every player paid, even if only a nominal amount, I prefer the clear dilineation between paid and non-paid and think it creates a more harmonious relationship. We certainly want to avoid greed, and clubs spending outside their means. By all means though I am open as I've stated to look at models which achieve better results overall for the comp.

There isn't a clear delineation between paid and unpaid players when people are speculating that players are getting their money in a brown paper bag.

Recruitment announcements are often greeted with raised eyebrows and explanations like "playing with mates", "knows the coach", "knows somebody on the executive" are met with derision.

Thanks for that. shortnwide and I are clearly on the same wave length on this issue and, on reading his two most recent posts, he has covered everything I would have thought of, and then some. He also suggested in an earlier post we should not simply consider a carbon copy of the VTCA set up. A sub committee should be given a free rein to investigate the issue. They could, for example, touch base with the Western Region Football League, given its stated intention to introduce a system to even out its competition, their planning already well advanced. Also, shortnwide has astutely pointed out the existing system, no matter how strictly enforced, cannot overcome the ''brown paper bag''. I anticipate the Executive would need to exercise courage in the interests providing a more level playing field in deciding to set up a sub committee to look at a more transparent system.

Subbies run the risk of becoming irrelevant if they restrict clubs paying players.

You'll even see new ACA grants of up to $10k a season to be given to ex first class cricketers to stay involved in premier cricket.

There's really not that much coin in cricket for this to be a massive issue. Not like the $100k+ budgets in local footy which is standard these days.

Well Brighton well run havnt even got them selfs a captain/coach yet Mentone are just a club and Beaumaris are a club that is good enough to play Subbies and all these clubs do play turf but if you look at East Sandringham they have a great record in recent years and if there have the coin to pay Brad Hodge good luck to them no crime in playing synthetic cricket
Don't worry about Brighton.2015/16 looking very good.

Subbies run the risk of becoming irrelevant if they restrict clubs paying players.

You'll even see new ACA grants of up to $10k a season to be given to ex first class cricketers to stay involved in premier cricket.

There's really not that much coin in cricket for this to be a massive issue. Not like the $100k+ budgets in local footy which is standard these days.

I was very interested to learn of the ACA grants--the first I had heard of it. I wonder if the ex Premier/first class players at Melton were offered this deal before the mass exodus or, alternatively, if it was now offered, whether it would encourage some to change their mind and stay on? I am not too sure if $10k is enough. A committee member of VTCA club located near my home told me they will struggle to keep their best batsman (a SriLankan import) because he has been offered $20k by another VTCA club playing just one division higher (still below Senior Division). I am gob-smacked at the money deals offered by a number of VTCA clubs around here. As you will appreciate, a VTCA club can offer a player any sum it choses as money is not a factor in the player points cap system. The subbies clubs in this region have more to fear from their players being lost to VTCA clubs offering them big dollars than anything else, and particularly so when the numerical total of a VTCA club's existing playing group is well below the team salary cap. As long as Doutta Stars team salary cap is not exceeded by Lorenzo Ingram's inclusion, that is all that matters in the VTCA.

Yes but realistically how many Subbies players have left to go to VTCA recently. Ingram is the only one that comes to mind and supposedly that's due to his friendship with Parchment?
Not many that have come directly from a subbies club. An exception was when Boglis went directly to the Yarraville Club C C from Altona about 3 seasons ago. However, some of the ex Premier players they have had playing for them over the years started out with subbies clubs before being picked up by them. I may be wrong, but of the current crop, I think Christofaro started at Melton. As you know, they generally prefer to pick up players who have had Premier experience. Looking ahead, I will be fascinated to see the player movements at Melton, Werribee and Plenty Valley in the lead up to their admission to Premier. Another factor that should, I think, be considered in tandem with the player points issue is that the VTCA also has a promotion/relegation system. In the North and the West a total of 165 teams take the field in the VTCA allowing it to provide several grades which, together with the promotion/relegation system, better allows clubs to find a level at which they are competitive. The VSDCA simply does not have the number of teams to permit such diversity and is a major reason why it is unlikely a carbon copy of the VTCA system would be appropriate. We can merely speculate, the decision to form a sub committee rests with the Executive.

Another player lost to the subbies via Premier is Sunshine's Joseph Blake. After playing one season at Premier he played last season for Yarraville Club, (joined by older brother Johnathon, also ex Sunshine). There are no stats available on how many players who, having started their playing days in the subbies fail to return to their subbies club after having a go at Premier, opting instead to continue their playing career elsewhere. Out here, if you are a subbies club short of cash you face competition by VTCA clubs for good players. Bear in mind many VTCA clubs play in grades below Senior Division and may only seek to pick up one really good player. As to the future structure of metro cricket, I suggest the only certainty at the moment is uncertainty.

Don't know why people are getting overly political about others mentioning some rumours (that were shown to be correct), it's an Internet forum.

Anyway, Melton will still be competitive you'd think. Jones, Kirk, Wheelahan and Alexander very good players. Will miss the spin combination of N Allen and Buhagiar though as well as the obvious batting from M Allen.

Any sides such as RPB, Sunshine or Willy picked up anybody?

We have signed Dale McDonald as captain/coach and have got four other players in Matt Twentyman, Hayden Castle, James Cook and Pat O'Malley from Greenvale/North Melbourne as well. We are hoping to acquire one more player in the coming days.
RPB announced Yates as CC, haven't heard anything else and haven't heard anything out of Sunshine.

Thanks for that. shortnwide and I are clearly on the same wave length on this issue and, on reading his two most recent posts, he has covered everything I would have thought of, and then some. He also suggested in an earlier post we should not simply consider a carbon copy of the VTCA set up. ....

Might I suggest that you steer clear of the VTCA model!!
The primary focus of a points system should be to allow clubs to pay whatever they want, provided they invest in developing their own players at the same time. Therefore home grown players should be the base points – whatever that is.

The VTCA allocates junior players 2 points – so a player who has played 10 years of juniors, then makes their 1st XI debut – they'll be more points than a bloke who has been paid for 5 (and perhaps as few as 3) years.

Might I suggest that you steer clear of the VTCA model!!
The primary focus of a points system should be to allow clubs to pay whatever they want, provided they invest in developing their own players at the same time. Therefore home grown players should be the base points – whatever that is.

The VTCA allocates junior players 2 points – so a player who has played 10 years of juniors, then makes their 1st XI debut – they'll be more points than a bloke who has been paid for 5 (and perhaps as few as 3) years.

In the event the Executive established a sub-committee, I expect it would seek input from persons with first-hand experience of the VTCA system. Despite it may have shortcomings, the VTCA has at least had a fair dinkum go at attempting an equalisation measure. Prior to that, it had similar player payment conditions to that still current in the subbies. It is reasonable to assume the VTCA would not have felt it necessary to introduce an alternative if they thought the one already in place was an effective equalisation measure.

Back