Subbies Thread

The Development Coach ad belongs on the Advertisements Thread only. Posting it here is the equivalent of spam.

By posting it here, it is subject for review and discussion by forum members.

Therefore, analysing a statement on a player who has knocked back other offers from clubs is quite likely.

It is the club and whoever drafted the advertisement who should have been mindful of this prior to making it public knowledge and potentially subject to criticism.

For a club who seems to trumpet their use of social media, it looks like on this instance they have failed to grasp some of the basics in Social Media 101.

A
In reference to Jacob Austin:

1) I believe that the reference above is to "elite YOUNG talent" and was strongly considered for the VSDCA's Best Young Player award

2) at only 18 years of age, Jacob; 1) took the most dismissals, as a keeper, across all of VSDCA 1st XI (both groups) with 36 Season dismissals, and 2) top scored for the VSDCA Under 21 Representative team with 60+.

3) is Jacob regarded by VSDCA pundits as one of the most talented, up and coming, players having just turned 18? Are Premier clubs keeping a very close eye on his development as a keeper/batsman?

An earlier comment was also made questioning as to how vigorously he was approached. Don't believe that we have ever specifically referred to approaches by VSDCA clubs and I would suggest that electing to remain with the Falcons and further develop his game at VSDCA level and, in the process, turning down many $hundreds a game to play local cricket is credit to the young man and his commitment to the development of his game.

Feel free to have a go at or question me but calling out and highlighting one sentence within the above that pertains to a kid who has only just turned legal age??

When you want to bring some actual facts to the table as I have above in this retort, happy to listen.

I have said it before and I will say it again, feel free to say as you wish about me in this forum. However, I will not stay silent on comments made about either my club or members.

The above was an advert for a Development Coach. If you're not interested, so be it - move on.

Average player in a team carried by 2 blokes.. jog on wood

Exactly, this is a forum for conversation - not advertisement. If you post, don't get offended when the post is responded to.

Austin is 18 years old, not 15 years old. And averaged just 15. If I were him I'd be embarrassed by the way you were carrying on.

Exactly, this is a forum for conversation - not advertisement. If you post, don't get offended when the post is responded to.

Austin is 18 years old, not 15 years old. And averaged just 15. If I were him I'd be embarrassed by the way you were carrying on.

Correct, Allen, Damiano and Mitchell are clearly the benchmark keeper bats in the comp, all of whom no doubt get various offers to play elsewhere for big $$

Correct, Allen, Damiano and Mitchell are clearly the benchmark keeper bats in the comp, all of whom no doubt get various offers to play elsewhere for big $$
Exactly. They'd have the most keeping dismissals if they bowled twice every home game as well.

"Seems strange how the Southern corridor is neglected. Also a massive growth area with very strong cricket history. Have lost teams over years such as Dandenong, Frankston, Monash and now Kingston. Leaves Brighton and Moorabbin as Southern most clubs with massive population spreading down the Peninsula. Surely Subbies would look at Beaumaris or Mordiallic or Parkdale etc to balance regions. It seems subbies are happy to hand this area over to DDCA. Probably why VCA so keen to have a Premier club there."

With all due respect to Subbies and the posters on this thread but Parkdale CC has no interest in the VSDCA, and I'm aware Scratch has no affiliation with VSDCA or it's clubs - but why you'd make a comment like this is beyond me.
You wouldn't even know who I am Dale, but have an affiliation with a southern Subbies club. All I was saying is that , compared to a well run Sub -District club, Parkdale would be a basket case. Not at any stage in the higher levels of the VTCA , so would not even be considered to be any part of a higher competition.

I'm truly saddened and disappointed to hear this as I, my club members, sponsors, benefactors, involved 3rd parties, etc of the RPBCC value your opinion highly.

If it's any consolation, I have called an urgent Executive meeting to take on feedback of "nancy" and his perceptions on our presence and excessive brand promotion with social media. I am confident that, following this meeting, appropriate refinements will be made to our approach to better align with your expectations as to how a club should promote themself.

You are starting to embarrass yourself!

You wouldn't even know who I am Dale, but have an affiliation with a southern Subbies club. All I was saying is that , compared to a well run Sub -District club, Parkdale would be a basket case. Not at any stage in the higher levels of the VTCA , so would not even be considered to be any part of a higher competition.
Correct me if im wrong, but Parkdale CC are in the DDCA? Their 1's were near the bottom of Turf 2. So no they wouldn't be considered. And are probably focused on working there way up towards Turf 1.

Parkdale United are in the VTCA. And you're right they're a million miles from subbies standard. The strong clubs out that way tend to run around in the DDCA. And are generally strong off the back of financial strength rather than strong junior programs (take Spoljaric, Chasemore and Te Davis out of Cranbourne). South Springvale are battling demographics and cultural/socio economic shifts in fielding a strong junior program in the future.

In reference to Jacob Austin:

1) I believe that the reference above is to "elite YOUNG talent" and was strongly considered for the VSDCA's Best Young Player award

2) at only 18 years of age, Jacob; 1) took the most dismissals, as a keeper, across all of VSDCA 1st XI (both groups) with 36 Season dismissals, and 2) top scored for the VSDCA Under 21 Representative team with 60+.

3) is Jacob regarded by VSDCA pundits as one of the most talented, up and coming, players having just turned 18? Are Premier clubs keeping a very close eye on his development as a keeper/batsman?

An earlier comment was also made questioning as to how vigorously he was approached. Don't believe that we have ever specifically referred to approaches by VSDCA clubs and I would suggest that electing to remain with the Falcons and further develop his game at VSDCA level and, in the process, turning down many $hundreds a game to play local cricket is credit to the young man and his commitment to the development of his game.

Feel free to have a go at or question me but calling out and highlighting one sentence within the above that pertains to a kid who has only just turned legal age??

When you want to bring some actual facts to the table as I have above in this retort, happy to listen.

I have said it before and I will say it again, feel free to say as you wish about me in this forum. However, I will not stay silent on comments made about either my club or members.

The above was an advert for a Development Coach. If you're not interested, so be it - move on.

Instead of feeling compelled to speak up, maybe you should feel compelled to shut up.

All you're doing is fueling the conversation futher. Jacob would probably prefer you shut up and let it go. You're inadvertently putting pressure on him. Even though your intentions are good.

People have opinions, and this is a forum to express them. You wanting to debate each of them that is about your club in a tit for tat is futile and makes you come across as a bit petty. Whether you care or not, think about the image it projects. Even if they're your personal opinions, as president they're inextricably linked to the club!

I'm truly saddened and disappointed to hear this as I, my club members, sponsors, benefactors, involved 3rd parties, etc of the RPBCC value your opinion highly.

If it's any consolation, I have called an urgent Executive meeting to take on feedback of "nancy" and his perceptions on our presence and excessive brand promotion with social media. I am confident that, following this meeting, appropriate refinements will be made to our approach to better align with your expectations as to how a club should promote themself.

Ben, I hope it not only the opininion of Nancy you value highly. You should also present to your Executive all of your posts in the last month or so, and the posts in response, to give them a proper overview of the situation. I still remain of the view a person holding your office at a subbies club is well advised to refrain from posting on this forum, and I hope my view is on the agenda to be discussed by your Executive.

Ben, I hope it not only the opininion of Nancy you value highly. You should also present to your Executive all of your posts in the last month or so, and the posts in response, to give them a proper overview of the situation. I still remain of the view a person holding your office at a subbies club is well advised to refrain from posting on this forum, and I hope my view is on the agenda to be discussed by your Executive.

Westland,

let me clarify so that we all have complete understanding.

My club and its members will NOT defame anyone (club or individual) publicly. We will NOT push anyone down to pull ourselves up (club or individual) publicly. We will NOT engage in rumour, innuendo or hearsay (club or individual) publicly. Divulging secrets or inside information about club, individuals or the direction of the Association would; 1) be highly inappropriate as a long standing and highly informed figure within cricketing circles, and 2) lack class.

My members, as much as they may want to, are under explicit instruction not to reply or comment upon any posts within this forum. My members are not to report upon any rumours or innuendo. Other clubs and or official Office Bearers from other clubs want to take an alternate approach and either engage in rumour or innuendo and/or snipe from the trees, fine – whilst I don’t agree, I will not judge where it is unrelated to my club.

My posts and or comments have been in defence of my club or individuals and/or the clarification of misrepresentations. I have also defended the Melton Cricket Club for whom I am close. No clubs or individuals have ever been attacked or defamed in these defences.

I agree with Shortnwide, as above, that any defence of individual and/or club comes from a good place. Whether these views are inextricably linked to a club that I am the figurehead of and have been for 12 years, is a fair challenge. I do reiterate, however, that defence of individual and/or club comes from a good place.

With all due respect, whether you believe that, as President, I should not be seen to be making comment or not is irrelevant. I am accountable to my members only and not the views of independent parties within an on-line forum. As I have previously positioned, if I am the sole voice of the club - I control the message and ensure it is aligned to who we are and what we stand for whilst also ensuring that no individuals or clubs are torn down in response.

My club and membership is conditioned to be passionate about our club and, equally, our Association. Whether it is agreeable or not to others, I will defend a club for whom I have dedicated my heart and soul to. Moreso, I will defend players and members whom I have always regarded and treated as family.

We, at the Falcons, have non-negotiable commitment to loyalty to club and each other. If my most heinous crime is defending my club and/or members (without defaming others in the process), I can live with that.

Having a voice or opinion on something that you believe in, are passionate about or where you believe the wrong thing is being done are expectations and qualities that I try and engender with my club, my members as well as my two sons. You will not always be popular as a result and you most certainly will not always be right - but, in having courage of conviction, you can rest easy at night that you actually stand for something. Furthermore, the people who look to you to lead know that you stand for something.

Most people in cricket know me well and how I go about things. My approach to club, members and life in general hasn’t changed over the years. If I feel something needs to be said, it will be said. Many individuals within cricket circles like me and how I go about things, some others begrudgingly respect me. However, just as many (if not more) have a deep disdain and dislike for me. Again, this is fine and perfectly acceptable. What is most important is that my club, members and (to a lesser extent) the Association know and appreciate that I will risk personal scorn and ridicule to protect them all.

Neither I or any member of my club will ever defame, attack or push down another club or individual within a public forum (note - "nancy" received a smart ar#e reply to a smar ar#e comment. He was not defamed, attacked or vilified). Whether right or wrong, your or others cup of tea (and I do appreciate the sentiments of Shortnwide who is an individual that I respect enormously) - I will continue to defend my club and members of my club. I would much rather be guilty of being passionate in the defence and promotion of my club and members than be seen (like other club reps on here who sit on club Committee's) to be running their mouths in reporting upon scurrilous rumour or innuendo of competing clubs or the snide sniping of other individuals or clubs. If I am hated and ridiculed within an on-line forum that has little relevance to the real world - so be it, as long as my club and members know that I will stand behind them at all times.

All said, I do hope that this makes sense and whether you agree or not as what public voice a club President should have, I am not answerable or accountable to you (with all due respect). If, however, anyone from my club took umbrage as to how I go about things - well, that is another discussion but all are aware of who I am, how I go about things (right or wrong) and understand, above all else, that it comes from a good place of putting my club, my members and the Association at the forefront of all we do whilst not pushing others down to pull ourselves up. So whilst you may think it inappropriate for a club President to have a public voice (I respectfully agree to disagree), I would contend it highly inappropriate for official VSDCA Club Committee Members to make public comment about peer universe competitors of theirs (again, appears that we are going to have to agree to disagree as this appears to be the norm). Our club will live our values whilst other clubs can live theirs and we are going to have to agree to disagree as to what each other considers right and wrong.

Ben, A one-line response advising you either will, or will not, place all your recent posts and responses in front of your Executive was all that was needed.

Back to cricket. Interesting announcement on twitter from Brighton. Chris Rushworth as C/C. Top 5 wicket taker in current County season. Makes the coming season even more interesting.

Back to cricket. Interesting announcement on twitter from Brighton. Chris Rushworth as C/C. Top 5 wicket taker in current County season. Makes the coming season even more interesting.
Great pick-up. How many years has he signed on for? Does this mean that Hurt won't be coming back?

And as Paul Amy tells us Graham Manou will be a handy bloke to have around the club. I have heard that Liam Hurt as a young quick wanted a break from year round cricket but expect to see him back in the future.

Very handy pick up. Have noticed your quietly confident demeanor on this forum for a while now, can understand why. South / West just got more interesting.

So where are they going? Bit of an indictment on them if they are leaving because they don't see success on the horizon, are they part of the problem?

Allen is a big loss but surely you don't walk out of a club because of the loss of one player?

Allen is a loss no doubt, but he doesn't make the club.
Not sure on exactly where these individuals are heading too. I guess in time once clearances forms are sent through the Hills will know.
From the conversations I have had, this seems to be more an Administration issue.

Back