Subbies Thread

Congratulations to Malvern and Noble Park on their respective victories. Both of these teams were losers in the 1st round of finals. Thoughts on the lucky losers progressing? Personally, I'm not a fan. Would prefer 1 and 2 have the 1st week off and 3 play 6 and 2 play 5, if we are to have a final 6.

The final 6 is fine - both sides won their last 2 games against great opposition and deserve everything they collected.
The Damiano situation is extroadinary - was he in the bridal party?
The bigger issue for me is having no reserve days in case of rain - i would bring the GF forward a week and have a reserve weekend

Must have been a shit deck, or pressure got to all
It was definitely the latter. Little bit in the pitch early. But it was just a combination of good bowling and grand final pressure. With maybe one or two tight decisions.

The wedding thing will piss a few off at Caulfield, but really, they faced 38 overs, they shouldn't have been 8fa overnight! And the shot for the 9th wicket, with Damiano at the other end capable of making the runs himself. Isn't a reply I'd want to see again. Great days cricket for a spectator

Looks a similar issue over at Oakleigh, 0/40 all out 117.

I was told last Sunday by an official of the W'bee CC that in respect of their 3rds semi v Preston at Preston's ground that when the teams fronted on Sunday 23rd it was evident ice had been put under the cover overnight on a good length. Even though at W'bees appeal hearing no-one could be accused of being the culprit, I am told that nevertheless Preston was fined $500. To me, this sends a signal that in future home participating clubs needs to think seriously about providing overnight security given the severity of the fine that can be expected having regard to what would appear to be an uncompromising and unsympathetic attitude of the subbies exec towards such matters. One wonders what the fine would have been if it had been a senior final? Well in excess of the cost of providing overnight security I suggest. Any comments?

The Damiano situation is nothing short of staggering!
It stinks of arrogance. As pro and captain to leave the game because you had written the opposition off is a disgrace. If he had a wedding he should have just not played and let someone else play the game, its not like they Caulfield wouldn't have an adequate replacement. I wonder if he will be at Caulfield next year?

It stinks of arrogance. As pro and captain to leave the game because you had written the opposition off is a disgrace. If he had a wedding he should have just not played and let someone else play the game, its not like they Caulfield wouldn't have an adequate replacement. I wonder if he will be at Caulfield next year?

Caulfield knew he had to leave at 4. They selected him. So they're as responsible as he is. They didn't have to pick him.
In reality, it almost couldn't have worked out worse! Had they bowled all day it wouldn't have mattered. Had they batted, He might have opened or batted 3 and thrown the bat after tea.

And I doubt Caulfield have an adequate replacement to be honest. He's far and away their best bat.

Caulfield knew he had to leave at 4. They selected him. So they're as responsible as he is. They didn't have to pick him.
In reality, it almost couldn't have worked out worse! Had they bowled all day it wouldn't have mattered. Had they batted, He might have opened or batted 3 and thrown the bat after tea.

And I doubt Caulfield have an adequate replacement to be honest. He's far and away their best bat.
Nah sorry its indefensible from both parties, as I said its stinks of arrogance, its a grand final for god sakes. of course they dont have an player as good as him to replace him I was making the point that rather than take the risk play someone who might get you a 20 or 30, sure as hell beats having Rick coming in 10. when picking the team you have to prepare for the worst possible outcome, Caulfield certainly did not.

Agree completely with the logic of your post. Logic sometimes goes out the window though when it comes to clubs dealing with star players. Always feel sorry for the unsung heroes around cricket clubs when something like this arises and the matter gets 'swept under the carpet'. It would seem logical that Damiano's advice to the club of his unavailability for part of the final should have (and may have) been accompanied by an offer to take a significant reduction in his fee, for he would have been in no doubt why the club pays him. That said, I cannot help being a little cynical --may have something to do with having played the game for 35 years and been around cricket clubs more than 50. Seen it all before.

I have strong mail out of Caulfield that they were disgusted by Damiano on the weekend and both parties will be looking to move on. More to come..

Agree completely with the logic of your post. Logic sometimes goes out the window though when it comes to clubs dealing with star players. Always feel sorry for the unsung heroes around cricket clubs when something like this arises and the matter gets 'swept under the carpet'. It would seem logical that Damiano's advice to the club of his unavailability for part of the final should have (and may have) been accompanied by an offer to take a significant reduction in his fee, for he would have been in no doubt why the club pays him. That said, I cannot help being a little cynical --may have something to do with having played the game for 35 years and been around cricket clubs more than 50. Seen it all before.

It's a gamble. Or calculated risk if you will. I've been involved in a very similar situation and it blew up in our faces too. As it were, I think he 2nd top scored. You never know with a game of cricket, but watching him bat on Sunday my impression was that he'd have got them there if he batted in the top order. His dismissal was him just trying to protect the number 11.

Well done to Noble and to the great Dean 'Hasselhoff' Edmunds. There isn't a better bloke in cricket. Seeing the 'older brigade' win flags inspires us 'evergreens' to keep going.

Really, issues with pitches are a disgrace. We played Kew earlier in the year, they made 270, we rolled up 2nd week where it had rained for 15 minutes in the morning and the pitch was soaked. Gilly was embarrassed. Appealed the result, as we believed we didn't have a fair chance. We had to put $100 up as a bond. Kew found guilty, fined $500 but kept their points. Kingston Saints received their $100 back. Hardly going to be a deterent!!!

Well done to Noble and to the great Dean 'Hasselhoff' Edmunds. There isn't a better bloke in cricket. Seeing the 'older brigade' win flags inspires us 'evergreens' to keep going.

Really, issues with pitches are a disgrace. We played Kew earlier in the year, they made 270, we rolled up 2nd week where it had rained for 15 minutes in the morning and the pitch was soaked. Gilly was embarrassed. Appealed the result, as we believed we didn't have a fair chance. We had to put $100 up as a bond. Kew found guilty, fined $500 but kept their points. Kingston Saints received their $100 back. Hardly going to be a deterent!!!

We also had the inexplicable situation early in the season at Maccy park where the no 1 oval was unfit for play but the no 2 was OK. I don't know whether Willy just copped it sweet or lodged an appeal . Cricket administrators do seem loath to take effective action on such matters. I wonder if a principal reason for this is they are terrified of upsetting municipal councils in areas where council support in pitch preparation is provided? I am not qualified to offer an opinion, for over here pitch preparation has for many seasons been in the hands of people like me, that is, present or former cricketers often connected with the club for whom they curate. Both of Sunshine's curators are former players at Sunshine, and so was I. None of us hang out a shingle claiming to be professional curators because we are not. So, I can understand cricket administrators wanting to avoid clubs being burdened with the responsibility for pitch preparation if at all possible, and having to rely in many instances on persons connected with a club to have a go at pitch preparation never before having been involved in curating. Definitely not ideal at the subbies level.

Back