Subbies Thread

Big ins at Kew. Interesting to see the Thornes going to different clubs. Kew must be early favourite in NE. With Oakleigh moving to South and Endeavour Hills loosing players East is wide open. Ingram big loss for Plenty Valley and Balwyn will be pushing . Interesting to see who Brunswick picks up.

Thompson will be a real good get and it keeps the link between Kew and Melbourne going. The other two will be interesting, Zac Thorne and Bevan may not be dominant 1st XI players.

Big ins at Kew. Interesting to see the Thornes going to different clubs. Kew must be early favourite in NE. With Oakleigh moving to South and Endeavour Hills loosing players East is wide open. Ingram big loss for Plenty Valley and Balwyn will be pushing . Interesting to see who Brunswick picks up.

Might take the Kew guys a while to "gel" as a team, always looks good on paper getting quality players but getting them to work as one has always been a problem at Kew, lots of big ego's in one room can cause large amounts of unrest. Wide open in the N/E though, Noble Park and PV still the teams to beat, Wintle a huge get for Noble, hard for PV to cover the loss of Ingram as he was a genuine star, lots of depth in the 2's though so still reckon they will be super hard to beat, certainly the most competitive and "hostile" team I have competed against over the last 3 seasons.

Might take the Kew guys a while to "gel" as a team, always looks good on paper getting quality players but getting them to work as one has always been a problem at Kew, lots of big ego's in one room can cause large amounts of unrest. Wide open in the N/E though, Noble Park and PV still the teams to beat, Wintle a huge get for Noble, hard for PV to cover the loss of Ingram as he was a genuine star, lots of depth in the 2's though so still reckon they will be super hard to beat, certainly the most competitive and "hostile" team I have competed against over the last 3 seasons.

Agreed with the second half of your statement re Plenty Valley. I played against their 2's last season and that side would've knocked over a number of 1st XI sides. Well drilled, fielding was excellent, as you said though hard to cover Ingram but will have other guys who can pitch in. Will be interesting to see if Ayres can still dominate, he isn't getting any younger.

Might take the Kew guys a while to "gel" as a team, always looks good on paper getting quality players but getting them to work as one has always been a problem at Kew, lots of big ego's in one room can cause large amounts of unrest.
Most of those Kew inclusions over the past 24 months all know each other anyway.

I've played against kews 1st xi a lot over the past few year, i don't think Kew have many egos, I think whilst they've looked good on paper, the type of players they've recruited haven't quite suited subbies cricket combined with some being grossly overrated.

I've played against kews 1st xi a lot over the past few year, i don't think Kew have many egos, I think whilst they've looked good on paper, the type of players they've recruited haven't quite suited subbies cricket combined with some being grossly overrated.
apart from Gilmore who have they recruited? Gilmore a one time state contracted bowler, not too bad. graham may not be a star these days but handy as a playing coach?

apart from Gilmore who have they recruited? Gilmore a one time state contracted bowler, not too bad. graham may not be a star these days but handy as a playing coach?

Fair play, Graham and Gilmour did both have better than average years. But maybe not as dominant as some people thought they'd be. Certainly good contributors last year

Very interesting reading. I'm almost tempted to go to the Kingston AGM next Wednesday to hear what the plans are. Definitely Kingston's home ground isn't fit for Premier, wonder where they will play.

In other news, hearing stories of a mass walk-out from a Subbies club, to the point where they won't be able to field a team. Huge.

What club is that?

Last edited:
Allen is a loss no doubt, but he doesn't make the club.
Not sure on exactly where these individuals are heading too. I guess in time once clearances forms are sent through the Hills will know.
From the conversations I have had, this seems to be more an Administration issue.
But they have lost a lot of players.

Back