Subbies Thread

Some amazing outcomes alright,didn't take Dougie long to dance on Brunswick's grave!
Hope the weather allows us to get on this week.
I reckon Moorabbins resurgence has been a highlight,some had them disbanding/going into Mercantile ,couldnt field a side etc and look at them now,terrific.
On another front,anyone heard the rumour that expansion is back on the table,4 clubs considering joining as early as next season???

I hadn't heard the rumour but not surprised given Phil O'Meara pointing out in April 2017 that an 8x8 fixture is preferable to the present 7x7. I wouldn't be surprised if Strathmore is still interested.
VTCA clubs recently resoundingly rejected a salary cap model put forward by the VTCA executive. I am advised a major stumbling block was that for adequate policing, production of personal banking records as and when demanded by the VTCA executive, would have been a requirement. I know the VSDCA was in discussion some time ago with the VTCA on the salary cap issue and will doubtless be aware of the VTCA outcome.

VTCA clubs recently resoundingly rejected a salary cap model put forward by the VTCA executive. I am advised a major stumbling block was that for adequate policing, production of personal banking records as and when demanded by the VTCA executive, would have been a requirement. I know the VSDCA was in discussion some time ago with the VTCA on the salary cap issue and will doubtless be aware of the VTCA outcome.

Premier clubs also voted against an introduction of a salary cap last month.

It's quite amazing that only one east team finished in the top 8. I wonder if you could put that down to them having to play against the west this season and traveling every second week resulting in the loss of players before the season had started or even recruiting players for that matter.

Take the top division in the ECA in Dunstan Shield, players who live in and around that area would only travel a max of 20 mins to the furthest ground but if they played for a club like Box Hill, Balwyn etc, then those players could be travelling up to an hour to play a game of cricket which is not ideal.

As for Brunswick, considering the time and money they have outlaid to get the ultimate success which has ultimately backfired, I wonder how much pressure they have put themselves in for the next few years and beyond.

Spot on Dougie! Brun$wick don't make finals after big cash outlay and lost the Sydney Road Trophy. Anything else they will lose soon? Some rumours of tension in the group!

Premier clubs also voted against an introduction of a salary cap last month.

In view of your advice, I should imagine the salary cap issue is dead in the water for the time being and further tweaking of the points system may be considered. Perhaps, as earlier discussed on this thread, a slower scaling down of the points should be considered by the executive. It would be preferable the major turf pitch comps have identical player points systems, but I guess that is too much to hope for!

Brighton would be very disappointed, lost their last 3 games. Batting was strong with Damiano but bowling a letdown. What happened to Hewett from last season?
Everyone keeps mentioning Brunswick but with Lampard and Pearson missing they don't look strong at all IMO. Not surprised to see them miss.
Well done to Moorabbin although I'm not sure how sustainable it is, wasn't the rumour on this page that Grenville was leaving and taking players with him at the end of the year?

Strathmore in the North
Spotswood in the West
Donvale in the East
????????? in the South
There is already an over-concentration of subbies clubs in the inner west. Spotswood will just add to it. That said, Spotty is a good club and would be an embarrassing and serious loss to the VTCA given my recollection that former VTCA administrator Peter Howarth is/was connected with it, and its clubrooms were for many years used for VTCA delegates' meeting

Agreed,surface is superb now the ground has been re-laid,they always said it was their aim to return,could easily slot into the south group,would really need to improve their playing stocks but,currently in the lower grades of csb

Port finished 3rd in CSB Division 2 (and will be playing South Caulfield 2nds in the semi-final) and as Piston Broke says, would need to improve enormously to be competitive in the Subbies. They only have 3 teams in the CSB, but may have one or more in Mercantile?

Well done to Moorabbin although I'm not sure how sustainable it is, wasn't the rumour on this page that Grenville was leaving and taking players with him at the end of the year?

Rumour circulating that Moorabbin were exempt from playing under the points cap and were over at times this year. Clubs will be demanding player points assessments be made public in 20/21.

Rumour circulating that Moorabbin were exempt from playing under the points cap and were over at times this year. Clubs will be demanding player points assessments be made public in 20/21.
Shouldn't Caulfield already be demanding the VSDCA's assurance Moorabbin will not this weekend be over the points cap?

Port finished 3rd in CSB Division 2 (and will be playing South Caulfield 2nds in the semi-final) and as Piston Broke says, would need to improve enormously to be competitive in the Subbies. They only have 3 teams in the CSB, but may have one or more in Mercantile?

We actually have 4 senior turf sides all competing in CSB with our 1s,2s and 4s making finals this season and our Masters team winning the grand final on Sunday. Where our club is different from last time when we were in Subbies is our junior program with over 120 local children playing for our great club and growing each season, the club is also working hard to get a women's cricket program up and running for next season and beyond. We are also looking at fielding more senior teams next season, The mighty Borough are flying on and off the field.

We actually have 4 senior turf sides all competing in CSB with our 1s,2s and 4s making finals this season and our Masters team winning the grand final on Sunday. Where our club is different from last time when we were in Subbies is our junior program with over 120 local children playing for our great club and growing each season, the club is also working hard to get a women's cricket program up and running for next season and beyond. We are also looking at fielding more senior teams next season, The mighty Borough are flying on and off the field.
Apologies, I must have missed one (although did notice the Masters team). It's great to hear about a burgeoning junior program - when Port were in the VTCA we played quite often, and the difficulty in getting "locals" always came up in conversation. With all the new housing in the area it is wonderful news about the juniors - although in my experience having lots of juniors (these days) doesn't always equate to a bunch of young kids moving into senior ranks. I wish you good luck, both in the finals and in coming seasons.

So can you confirm that you have applied for Re-admission as it were?
The Club actually spoke to Subbies in 2018/19 about a possible re admission into competition, but thought we weren't quite ready for it, at the time, At the moment the club is concentrating on our finals campaign and will discuss playing options once this season has been completed.

The Club actually spoke to Subbies in 2018/19 about a possible re admission into competition, but thought we weren't quite ready for it, at the time, At the moment the club is concentrating on our finals campaign and will discuss playing options once this season has been completed.

your first 11 is playing against weak first 11s and 2nds teams in an apparent inferior competition. Do you think moving to the subbies would attract better players or would it be wise to get to championship before contemplating a move ??

Back