Subbies Thread

The standard will be terrible apart from the usual powers .

There are too many clubs concentrated in the inner west in the context of the supply of junior cricketers. Demographics has played a part in this plus so many alternative activities/pastimes these days. Moving from one competition to another will not overcome these issues>

Really enjoyed Holten medal night last night,pretty decent crowd considering it was a weeknight.Todd Greenberg spoke very well,had the audience's attention throughout.On a sad note they announced the passing of Sunshine stalwart Laurie Simpson,I presume Westland would have known him well.

Really enjoyed Holten medal night last night,pretty decent crowd considering it was a weeknight.Todd Greenberg spoke very well,had the audience's attention throughout.On a sad note they announced the passing of Sunshine stalwart Laurie Simpson,I presume Westland would have known him well.

I certainly did know him well and Laurie was my first captain when I played for Sunshine many years ago. I also got along with him very well and recognised the very significant contribution he made to cricket in this area. I will pay my last respects, as I did for his brother Frank.

It will be interesting to observe the effect of the inability of clubs to bring in "imports'' due to Covid -19. Taylors Lakes, for example, blamed their poor on-field performance last season on the inability of players to return to Australia. It may be the case clubs will attempt to improve their playing stocks by enticing players from other clubs until such time as it will be possible to again import players. I hope I am wrong, but is there an alternative?

It will be interesting to observe the effect of the inability of clubs to bring in "imports'' due to Covid -19. Taylors Lakes, for example, blamed their poor on-field performance last season on the inability of players to return to Australia. It may be the case clubs will attempt to improve their playing stocks by enticing players from other clubs until such time as it will be possible to again import players. I hope I am wrong, but is there an alternative?

It's an interesting thought Westland, there has been plenty of discussion about the so-called exodus from Premier Cricket to Subbies and other local comps, perhaps it's just clubs adapting to the pandemic enforced conditions of not being able to look overseas, so have targeted local options.

Given a large proportion of cricketers will not have had 2 jabs by the commencement of the season and the present pattern of lockdowns at short notice, are we destined for another season of one-dayers?

Given a large proportion of cricketers will not have had 2 jabs by the commencement of the season and the present pattern of lockdowns at short notice, are we destined for another season of one-dayers?
Think your right on that one with 1-day games.
But expect Premier to get their wickets done before others then it will be a bun fight for others to be done after that.

Back