Test XI Selection Thread

Hussey will probably extend his career longer than Ponting's. Ponting has been tremendous, but he is an "eye" player, and he pushes hard at the ball. As his reflexes slow, he will find it harder to make runs, and will get out early more and more. Hussey has a more adaptable game in my opinion, he can grind it out more.

I'd expect this summer would be Ponting's last series. Hussey might continue for a bit longer, but it's hard to see him being there for the next Ashes in 2013.

Who do others predict will be there in 2013 for the Ashes?

I reckon we'll look like this:

Hughes
Khawaja
Marsh
Watson
Clarke
Maddinson/ Hussey
Paine/ Wade
O'Keefe/ Smith
Cummins
Copeland
???

Hussey will probably extend his career longer than Ponting's. Ponting has been tremendous, but he is an "eye" player, and he pushes hard at the ball. As his reflexes slow, he will find it harder to make runs, and will get out early more and more. Hussey has a more adaptable game in my opinion, he can grind it out more.

I'd expect this summer would be Ponting's last series. Hussey might continue for a bit longer, but it's hard to see him being there for the next Ashes in 2013.

Hughes
Khawaja
Marsh
Watson
Clarke
Maddinson/ Hussey
Paine/ Wade
O'Keefe/ Smith
Cummins
Copeland
???

I think it will look like:

Marsh
Clarke
Watson
Paine
Khawaja
Hussey
Smith
Johnson
Copeland
Pattinson
?
?

Hughes
Khawaja
Marsh
Watson
Clarke
Maddinson/ Hussey
Paine/ Wade
O'Keefe/ Smith
Cummins
Copeland
???

Hang on, there's something not quite right with this ... oh yeah, the 'keeper won't be a New South Welshman! And nor is Marsh. Better make a couple of adjustments and get it right - I'm sure you can do better;)

Ricky, I respect what you have done and given to the game but it is time to step aside thanks. You are not making enough runs to hold your spot ATM and are keeping potential young players such as Khawaja and Ferguson out of the side. And what's with this batting order?? Hussey at 6?? Ricky, if you're not at 3 making runs then see ya later.

My side, but it won't happen:

Watson
Hughes
Marsh
Clarke
Hussey
Khawaja
Haddin
Harris
Lyon
Siddle
Cummins

Well, since the squad has been announced and nobody else is going to comment, allow me:

Seems Andrew HIlditch is determined to go down fighting now that he's been told his time in charge is coming to an end. He has rolled the dice and launched Pat Cummins into Australian calculations based on age and promise alone. Whilst I agree he looks good "so far", with 9 First Class wickets at an average of 46, and best figures of 3/111, it wouldn't happen to anyone else outside of New South Whatever.

It must be that James Pattinson just didn't deliver the goods during his zero opportunities during the tour of Sri Lanka recently and is not considered too old at 21. And Mitchell Johnson's bowling average of 42 over the past 18 months has ensured he gets the nod at the head of the attack.

Yes, Katich got knifed whilst he wasn't looking, but Andy just couldn't bring himself to draw the curtain on any other of yesterday's heroes in order to keep the Test team healthy, so now is desperately trying to make a mark if it's the last thing he does.

Well, since the squad has been announced and nobody else is going to comment, allow me:

Seems Andrew HIlditch is determined to go down fighting now that he's been told his time in charge is coming to an end. He has rolled the dice and launched Pat Cummins into Australian calculations based on age and promise alone. Whilst I agree he looks good "so far", with 9 First Class wickets at an average of 46, and best figures of 3/111, it wouldn't happen to anyone else outside of New South Whatever.

It must be that James Pattinson just didn't deliver the goods during his zero opportunities during the tour of Sri Lanka recently and is not considered too old at 21. And Mitchell Johnson's bowling average of 42 over the past 18 months has ensured he gets the nod at the head of the attack.

Yes, Katich got knifed whilst he wasn't looking, but Andy just couldn't bring himself to draw the curtain on any other of yesterday's heroes in order to keep the Test team healthy, so now is desperately trying to make a mark if it's the last thing he does.

Yes, it's all a bit bonkers. Hilditch is desperate to make one of his 'rabbits out of the hat' come good - it's all part of his legacy, I assume. Hughes hasn't really come up to the mark, lord knows, Smith hasn't so now it's Cummins turn to assume the mantle.

Imagine if BAD Mitch turns up while we've got a first gamer in Cummins, a third gamer in Lyon and Harris who is made of glass in the attack. We'll have to hope for Good Mitch.

We'll have new selectors soon and all I really want is someone who doesn't talk such utter bilge when announcing teams. I wouldn't even mind Cummins being selected to be drinks waiter if it wasn't accompanied by such high flying predictions about him from THE BLOODY CHAIRMAN OF SELECTORS.

I wonder if they will go Lyon or Beer as the spinner, you would think Lyon did enough to stay in but you never know with the selectors.

For the record, my earlier message was regarding the latest test selections.

Mate, you are a man of reasonable intelligence? Surely you don't think a man working at this high level of professionalism is trying to sabotage Australian cricket simply because he is getting the flick soon? Not likely. And in my opinion, Cummins deserves his spot over Pattinson. He shows a bucket load more talent, and then some. I agree Pattinson hasn't been given much of a go, but he does'nt perform when it matters (i.e tour matches right before the first test, ODI's etc) That's how close competition is for spots ATM, coming down right to the final tour match before the first test. Hilditch hasn't really changed much from a winning side in Sri Lanka and I agree with the selections apart from Ponting; where I think a certain forgotten young prospect named Callum Ferguson deserves a spot.

Mate, you are a man of reasonable intelligence? Surely you don't think a man working at this high level of professionalism is trying to sabotage Australian cricket simply because he is getting the flick soon? Not likely. And in my opinion, Cummins deserves his spot over Pattinson. He shows a bucket load more talent, and then some. I agree Pattinson hasn't been given much of a go, but he does'nt perform when it matters (i.e tour matches right before the first test, ODI's etc) That's how close competition is for spots ATM, coming down right to the final tour match before the first test. Hilditch hasn't really changed much from a winning side in Sri Lanka and I agree with the selections apart from Ponting; where I think a certain forgotten young prospect named Callum Ferguson deserves a spot.

Yes I agree, Cummins is talented but is he ready? My view is that he should only play t20's and ODI's. A player this young is likely to be suseptable to injury, burnout, homesickness and just not ready for the rigours of all 3 forms of top level cricket.

I am not too sure he will be as great as warnie though..... if he follows in his footsteps.... will he end up with a super model like liz...

Don't think I was having a go at your selections, nor am I suggesting Hilditch would commit sabotage on his way out. What I am saying is that after having established a reputation for sticking with players past their best whilst denying others a decent opportunity, Hilditch now seems intent on - as Beeswax put it - pulling a rabbit out of a hat. To those of us more sceptical, this would seem a desperate final lunge of sorts.

Can't really go wrong with a kid so young with so much going for him. Not from a selector's point of view anyway, nothing to lose. You might worry for the kid though if it turns out to be a horrible ordeal for him up against Kallis, Smith, Amla, de Villiers, Duminy, etc. and they paste him and/or he breaks down from having to "carry" the attack due to Johnson's waywardness, Harris & Watson injuries or whatever.

I'm not here to pump for Pattinson, but this kind of treatment of our bowlers is what has been killing us in recent years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't reckon he had the "warm-up match" opportunity you speak of.

When was the last time a player was given an Australian cap after having played 4 first class matches? The kid did ok in his first match but he is not ready.He needs time and more experience.If they start bowling him into the ground he will simply breakdown. Just because a bowler is quick does not mean that he should automatically get a game. Warner was plucked out of obscurity based on a smash and grab 20/20 innings and was playing at National level without having played in a Shield match.
I am not sure what is happening at Cricket Australia but they have totally lost the plot.They are petrified of making the hard call with Ponting and to a lesser extent Hussey. Once again Watson demonstrated that he is the only bowler capable of bowling on the spot and getting the ball to jag around.Now he is injured so one less bowler for this match. The rest bowled up and down with some early movement which the batsmen picked up and left alone. Why can't Aussie bowlers swing the ball? I just wonder what havoc Shaun Tait could have inflicted on the South Africans in the last Test.

When was the last time a player was given an Australian cap after having played 4 first class matches? The kid did ok in his first match but he is not ready.He needs time and more experience.If they start bowling him into the ground he will simply breakdown. Just because a bowler is quick does not mean that he should automatically get a game. Warner was plucked out of obscurity based on a smash and grab 20/20 innings and was playing at National level without having played in a Shield match.
I am not sure what is happening at Cricket Australia but they have totally lost the plot.They are petrified of making the hard call with Ponting and to a lesser extent Hussey. Once again Watson demonstrated that he is the only bowler capable of bowling on the spot and getting the ball to jag around.Now he is injured so one less bowler for this match. The rest bowled up and down with some early movement which the batsmen picked up and left alone. Why can't Aussie bowlers swing the ball? I just wonder what havoc Shaun Tait could have inflicted on the South Africans in the last Test.

ShaunTait? If you are looking for consistency, you wont find it in Shaun Tait and anyway, he has retired from Test matches. I do agree about how the Australian selectors have gone nutz and can't make the decisions though

I think we need Ricky pointing , hussey , and micheal Johnson to retire before we're going to startback up climbing to the number 1 team what do u guys think about this
This is just mUy thoughts feel free to post urs below :)

Ponting should be politely told that this is his last summer and then asked to retire or be dropped. Johnson should go as well and also Haddin. I'd keep Khawaja for Ponting, Copeland for Johnson and Paine for Haddin if he is fit.

I agree, Johnson has failed too many times and is simply a passenger (I have been a long time fan of his, but he needs to go). The current team is unable to carry anyone on the hope that they may come good. Ponting is getting to a similar position. This innings should be his best possible chance to play himself into some form because his openers have finally done their job and actually hung onto their wickets. If he fails again this match there will be a lot of uncertainty as to whether he will play in Australia.
On a bowling note; your guys thoughts on Ben Cutting? 81 wickets at 25.25 and looking good this year. I think some Queenslanders need to be rewarded for their awesome domestic season thus far.

Ponting should be politely told that this is his last summer and then asked to retire or be dropped. Johnson should go as well and also Haddin. I'd keep Khawaja for Ponting, Copeland for Johnson and Paine for Haddin if he is fit.
Agree, these need to happen in the period between SA and the first test against NZ. One would like Ponting to simply retire when they get home but you get the feeling he is heading for a train wreck. The only other thought is will Hughs make it but enough changes at once.

What happens if Punter tons up? I'm sure he has no intention of retiring anyway, but this will make it even less likely. Interesting to see what happens with the selections for the NZ series.

All the way with LJP, those are the necessary changes. Actually wonder whether a Ricky ton on top of an AUS win tonight would be the note he could happily depart on??? Awesome career Punter (apart from captaincy and a couple of dubious off field indiscretions), it is time for Huss to go as well as much as I love him but there really are not any bats putting up their hands at the moment. Maybe take a stab at someone like Lynn (talented)/Ferguson even though his first class record is not overly inspiring. And surely the newby selectors will discard the cancers that are Haddin & Johnson. Copeland could be awesome on helpful tracks and is at least disciplined enough to bowl accurately and build pressure for others on unhelpful decks. As for Hughes, I like his ability, temperament and ethic (has worked hard to sort his short ball issues) but his defensive technique cannot succeed at test level now and he needs to go away and sort it for a year or two. In the meantime what about a guy like Rob Quiney who could have a nice 2-3 year test career (has a solid tecnique). Cummins, exciting talent, brilliant debut but agree with Clocker that he will be on the surgeons table in the next 6 months if we bowl him 25 overs plus every week, but Clock-Man seriously...................Tate!!!! One of the biggest fair weather sailors in history, tries for a couple of overs then gives up. The antithesis of D.K.Lillee, and like McDermott, tried harder and found an extra yard when things went his way, not a "trenches" kind of guy.

Back