The BaggyGreens Thread

baggygreen man

also known as Richie
Staff member
Break in play.. break in concentration with both openers back in the sheds. Sayonara Harris. Not Test standard.

Labs gone now! He was motoring at a run a ball. But like in the entire series India finds something to halt our momentum.

Now Wade has tickled one down the on side. This aint looking good with the lead a piddling 160. Need a solid partnership from Smithy and Cam Green now to get us back on track.

This is nerve wracking now. I reckon that embarrassing 36 at Adelaide has galvanised the Indians. Shows their incredible character. Respected Indian commentator Harshe Bogle made a good point about what may lie behind this Indian character, resilience and never say die attitude being shown in this series and last in 2018 for that matter. Many of the good young cricketers coming thru the Indian system have not been given an easy ride into first class cricket due to them being from poorer rural areas with far less amenities than the cities. This means far fewer opportunities to show their talent.

This race will never again be termed easybeats when playing abroad if they can pull off a win in this last game and retain the B/G trophy..

Last edited:

Signman

also known as Mal
The Harris wicket was very soft Craig, he only had to drop the hands to keep the gloves & bat well out the way... also instead of a batsman ducking I prefer the method of swaying out the way in a standing position.

Pretty even at the moment... yeah, didn't expect India to show as much fight & guts as they have.

Signman

also known as Mal
Evidently my analysis of this was wrong Pete. Sorry Tim Paine. According to Josh Hazlewood the plan was to keep it short as the fuller ball was having little affect as no swing or sideways movement. I guess to pick up a fivefor in those conditions was quite an effort. Just took a squizz at Josh's series figures. Mate he is averaging less than @16 and striking every 40 balls. Cummins trails him @21/48.. Starc.. no surprise @33/66
Green may be yet to snare his first Test wicket but the man mountain has sure snaffled some terrific catches. Just call him Albatross for his wide wingspan. ;)
Yeah, with no swing & not much movement off the pitch I suppose you needed to bowl shorter stuff, but reckon they bowled too many bouncers & not enough of back of a length bowling.
That's outstanding figures by Josh, just shows the red hot form he is in... Green is bowling well without much luck, but he's looking very good with the bat.

baggygreen man

also known as Richie
Staff member
Yeah, with no swing & not much movement off the pitch I suppose you needed to bowl shorter stuff, but reckon they bowled too many bouncers & not enough of back of a length bowling.
That's outstanding figures by Josh, just shows the red hot form he is in... Green is bowling well without much luck, but he's looking very good with the bat.
Josh added that while the stock ball was the shortie they had to use the fuller pitched one occasionally as these two were not top 6 batsmen. I agree with you mate they overdid the short stuff.. specially Starc who was getting smacked all round the ground.

Green will get his first wicket and then a rush of em after that. Only a matter of time. The last three decks have not been exactly condusive to his ability to extract tricky bounce from a good length. I saw him do that on his debut at the WACA four years ago. He was allbut unplayable.

Last edited:

Signman

also known as Mal
Marcus Harris and probably Matthew Wade are playing for their careers today.

Pete Australia needs to win this.. India a draw to walk away with the B/G trophy. As I see the scenario we have to go full speed today and build a lead that will entice India to chase on the final day but not one that will take the win out of reach of India. There is some chance of handing the trophy to India by doing the latter tho. These cracks that have hovered first three days have to start opening soon. Some smart thinking is needed by the Aussie strategists.

Aussies will be eyeing off setting them between 330/350 I suspect Pete. There is some rain predicted last day tho. Have to factor that in too.
Yeah, there must be big pressure on Harris & Wade.
Mate, that would be pretty annoying if they win the B/G Trophy through getting a draw in the last test - to try and get the win it's going to depend on how quickly you can get to a total where they can't win... when they bat your blokes are going to need to be very proactive in the field, only has to be in short bursts, or you might be able to leave those attacking fields in place a bit longer depending on situations.

baggygreen man

also known as Richie
Staff member
Yeah, there must be big pressure on Harris & Wade.
Mate, that would be pretty annoying if they win the B/G Trophy through getting a draw in the last test - to try and get the win it's going to depend on how quickly you can get to a total where they can't win... when they bat your blokes are going to need to be very proactive in the field, only has to be in short bursts, or you might be able to leave those attacking fields in place a bit longer depending on situations.
Mate i t promises to be an enthralling last day and a half whatever strategy is used. One thing is certain this Indian outfit will never again be called easybeats when playing abroad. If they win it their cricket mad people will worship them as gods..

Signman

also known as Mal
Josh added that while the stock ball was the shortie they had to use the fuller pitched one occasionally as these two were not top 6 batsmen. I agree with you mate they overdid the short stuff.. specially Starc who was getting smacked all round the ground.

Green will get his first wicket and then a rush of em after that. just a matter of time. The last three decks have not been exactly condusive to his ability to extract tricky bounce from a good length. I saw him do that on his debut at the WACA four years ago. He was allbut unplayable.
Agree, Josh did bowl very good back of a length stuff, he's bowled superbly overall.

Yeah, sport is a confidence thing, when Green gets his first wicket he'll certainly get many more after that, Those 6'8'' accurate bowlers with good pace are a great asset for any team.

Signman

also known as Mal
Mate i t promises to be an enthralling last day and a half whatever strategy is used. One thing is certain this Indian outfit will never again be called easybeats when playing abroad. If they win it their cricket mad people will worship them as gods..
Absolutely mate, going to be a ripper - yeah, with the fight they've shown they won't be easy to beat away anymore... if your blokes get a 300 plus lead India is going to find it very difficult batting last, reckon Aussie will do enough to win this one Craig :thumbsu:

Signman

also known as Mal
This is nerve wracking now. I reckon that embarrassing 36 at Adelaide has galvanised the Indians. Shows their incredible character. Respected Indian commentator Harshe Bogle made a good point about what may lie behind this Indian character, resilience and never say die attitude being shown in this series and last in 2018 for that matter. Many of the good young cricketers coming thru the Indian system have not been given an easy ride into first class cricket due to them being from poorer rural areas with far less amenities than the cities. This means far fewer opportunities to show their talent.
True Mate, that shocking 36 was definitely what motivated them to playing with a lot more pride & steel.

Harshe Bogle makes a very good point... the ones that come from the slum areas are going to have a ton of determination to do well & try & make their way into the Indian team for themselves & their families to try & away from the dreadful poverty they have there, makes you wonder how many die in those slum areas yearly ?

baggygreen man

also known as Richie
Staff member
True Mate, that shocking 36 was definitely what motivated them to playing with a lot more pride & steel.

Harshe Bogle makes a very good point... the ones that come from the slum areas are going to have a ton of determination to do well & try & make their way into the Indian team for themselves & their families to try & away from the dreadful poverty they have there, makes you wonder how many die in those slum areas yearly ?
Pete not so much the slums .. they are usually in the cities. I'm sure Harshe's point is those boys from poor rural peasant families.

Plenty have died in the city slums from the Covid virus mate. I doubt if there is ample free area in these slums to even play a decent game of cricket. If I have facts correct there are something like 1 million people crammed into a four square mile slum in Mumbai. Just living hand to mouth day to day is most on their minds. Cricket is no more than a dream.

baggygreen man

also known as Richie
Staff member
How is Smith's conversion rate Pete. .. 30 fifties 27 maximums. Wonder if Williamson and Kohli can match that. Pretty sure Smith has both covered on the least matches to 7000 runs too. On track to do same with 8000.

baggygreen man

also known as Richie
Staff member
Reckon two of our dismissals were from ball hitting a crack. Smiths definitely rose suddenly off a good length.. Green's seems to have gotten big on him at last moment. As no Indian bowls faster that 135 clicks you cant say either were beaten by pace.

Last edited:

Signman

also known as Mal
How is Smith's conversion rate Pete. .. 30 fifties 27 maximums. Wonder if Williamson and Kohli can match that. Pretty sure Smith has both covered on the least matches to 7000 runs too. On track to do same with 8000.
Smith's conversion rate is very impressive Craig - Williamson isn't too far behind him with 32 50's & 24 100's, what's so amazing about Williamson's stats is we normally only play a one test or two test series & hardly ever play a 3 test series... the big 3 have a big advantage of playing a 4 or 5 test series allowing batsmen to get a much better flow going with their batting.

Going to be a cracker on the last day mate - India need just over 100 per session... hope you put the squeeze on them tomorrow Craig & get early wickets, then keep chipping them out.

Last edited:

baggygreen man

also known as Richie
Staff member
Smith's conversion rate is very impressive Craig - Williamson isn't too far behind him with 32 50's & 24 100's, what's so amazing about Williamson's stats is we normally only play a one test or two test series & hardly ever play a 3 test series... the big 3 have a big advantage of playing a 4 or 5 test series allowing batsmen to get a much better flow going with their batting.

Going to be a cracker on the last day mate - India need just over 100 per session... hope you put the squeeze on them tomorrow Craig & get early wickets, then keep chipping them out.
Good point you make Pete. I have Williamson ahead of Kholi then as my #2.

A cracker indeed mate..that is if bad weather does not intervene and cruel the finish. Aussie star quicks.. Cummins and Hazlewood must be feeling weary after a tortuous workload last two matches. But a Border/Gavaskar trophy is at stake so these blokes will grow another leg for the final hurdle. Starc and Lyon need a big step up.

Just took a look at the deck Pete.. cracks a plenty and most have doubled in size since day one. Our quicks will be targeting those as theirs did yesterday. We just happen to bowl 5/10ks faster on average. Tipping Cam Green to break his wicket duck as is Smithy.

Last edited:

baggygreen man

also known as Richie
Staff member
Pete it is cricket such as we have seen in this entire series that can only be good for the survival of the Test format. White ball cricket just does not get the senses and competitive juices flowing or the nerve ends jangling like an enthralling Test cricket contest does.

baggygreen man

also known as Richie
Staff member
Hazlewood looks overdone to me. His most wayward spell since the second match. Cummins looks completely on song. Interesting Green bowling before Starc. Will be good for the kid's morale. C'mon now give us your first test wicket big fellar.

Hazlewood has left the field after only three overs. There did seem something amiss with him. To be honest he and Pat have been bowled into the ground past two matches. Australia can ill afford losing either of them for our crack at the Test Championship final.

Josh is back on so obviously nothing serious. Pitch is not playing up at all.. that is a surprise with all those cracks. Did the overnite moisture soften them.

Last edited: