The BaggyGreens Thread

When you go on about your great NSW players, I find it tiresome and won't reply in the future.
Am I supposed to write touche now?
..and where are all these NSW players I am supposed to go on about then? Your talking thru your hat again.
Two certainties in Will Pucovski and Cameron Green. Bryce Street (probable), Daniel Drew, Lachlan Hearne, Corey Hunter, Ryan Hackney, Mitchell Owen, Oliver Davies, Cooper Connolly, Bradley Hope, Tom Kelly (possibles).
Jason Sangha, Henry Hunt, Mac Wright
(outsiders)
Ten of that list are not from my state. So where is the NSW bias.
Will Parker, Jarrod Freeman are not from NSW, Jaden Goodwin is from WA as are Clint Hitchcliffe and Liam O'Connor. I am also backing your claims about Sam Fanning (WA) I have seen some WC footage.. albeit white ball.. and he looks a destructive batsman. I also saw some footage of him in the nets. He has a eye like a dead fish and I was specially impressed with his spin play.. good use of feet and not scared to meet the ball and loft. Nothing pisses off a spin bowler more than having some bloke drop kick you back over your head.

I reckon it is a case of you doing same as what you say I am doing. I deny I am bias against players from my state while you tend to push mostly Qlanders and to a lesser extent Vics and how great they are.. Do you deny that.

Last edited:
Ryan Hadley, Ryan Hackney, Lachlan Hearne.
They are promising..along with plenty from other states. They just happen to be born in my state is all. Mac Wright and Nick Winter dont belong in that list. I never wrapped Liam Scott or Charlie Wakim and I lamented that Ian Carlisle, Hunt, Neil-Smith, Ellis, Tim Ward and Henry Thornton were all lost to us because of poor selection. They are all good cricketers. You are clutching at straws 69er.

Heaven help me when NSW actually are playing.
If they play like crap I'll be bagging them along with you.

Last edited:
The oddest thing this. As far as I know Henry Thornton is now supposed to be playing his cricket in Victoria. Why then was a Henry Thornton with the same initials (HTR) playing for Eastern Suburbs in the NSW Premier League on October 10.

The oddest thing this. As far as I know Henry Thornton is now supposed to be playing his cricket in Victoria. Why then was a Henry Thornton with the same initials (HTR) playing for Eastern Suburbs in the NSW Premier League on October 10.
That's very unusual mate.

Richie - you probably have some top up-and-coming players in particular that are applying real pressure on some of the incumbents in your test team... what players would you say deserve a crack ?

Common sense has prevailed and the touring Indians will now be able to train while being quarantined before the 4 tester in December. Was the pinko run state of Qld trying to scuttle the series thru Palaszczuk 's draconian regulation of confining the Indian squad to a hotel during quarantine. The BCCI said no way so CA had to go searching for another state that was prepared to allow India the freedom of a bio-security bubble to train while in a two week quarantine. They found one so now expect the Indian squad to be occupying a Sydney hotel and a Sydney training ground. You blew it OLD.

Last edited:
That's very unusual mate.

Richie - you probably have some top up-and-coming players in particular that are applying real pressure on some of the incumbents in your test team... what players would you say deserve a crack ?
Good to see your input here Mal. Top of the next gen list is Cameron Green and Will Pucovski. Green a 199cm native West Aussie has the tools to be as good a pace bowling all rounder as the game has seen. He announced himself at 17 years when he took a fivefor in his first FC match. In another he took a bag of wickets and scored a 50+. Then he was struck down and missed almost three seasons with stress fracture injuries. He returned late last season and proceeded to smash a big FC hundred. He has started this season in similar mode.. yesterday completing a marathon 197 (440 balls batted all day) to drive Western Australia's push for victory. After remodeling his action Green will return to bowling within two weeks. He is more an accurate seamer than a hit the deck merchant. But he can push the speed gun at 145mph. and with his great elevation is a real handful.
His current FC averages are: @51.5 bat, @21.5 ball after 17 matches.
I'll give you some gen on batsman Will Pucosvski next time Mal.

Last edited:
Will keep an eye out for both of them mate - Green sounds an excellent cricketer, he's very similar in height to our bowling all-rounder Kyle Jamieson who's 6' 8'' ...bowlers at Green's & Jamieson's height are always going be difficult to face with the steep bounce they're going to get if they bowl 135 plus with accuracy.

Looking forward to info on Will Pucosvski when you're able to post it Richie.

Will keep an eye out for both of them mate - Green sounds an excellent cricketer, he's very similar in height to our bowling all-rounder Kyle Jamieson who's 6' 8'' ...bowlers at Green's & Jamieson's height are always going be difficult to face with the steep bounce they're going to get if they bowl 135 plus with accuracy.

Looking forward to info on Will Pucosvski when you're able to post it Richie.
:thumbsu:

More idocy from Cricket Australia Mal. Again a case of putting the importance of white ball cricket ahead of red ball. Seems to be CA's mantra. I am reading that the four Test players now in the IPL will be rested ahead of the upcoming Indian Test series despite not have any red ball match practice since way back in January. All four are being prepared to play the ODIs and T20s but will play in only one of the two Aussie A/India Test warm up matches.. a three dayer at Sydney. They will not play the A/India pink ball day/niter in Adelaide despite it being only four days before the First Test. So we bend over backwards to accommodate the BBCI re the quarantine/train security bubble so India will feel well prepared yet CA comes up with this nonsense that will only hurt our chances as this quality quartet of Smith, Hazlewood, Cummins and Warner will be going into this all important red ball series well underdone.

Last edited:
More idiocy from Cricket Australia Mal. Again a case of putting the importance of white ball cricket ahead of red ball. Seems to be CA's mantra. I am reading that the four Test players now in the IPL will be rested ahead of the upcoming Indian Test series despite not have any red ball match practice since way back in January. All four are being prepared to play the ODIs and T20s but will play in only one of the two Aussie A/India Test warm up matches.. a three dayer at Sydney. They will not play the A/India pink ball day/niter in Adelaide despite it being only four days before the pinkie First Test. So we bend over backwards to accommodate the BBCI re the quarantine/train security bubble so India will feel well prepared yet CA comes up with this nonsense that will only hurt our chances as this quartet of Smith, Hazlewood, Cummins and Warner who combined can win us the series will be going into it well underdone. Not for the first time either.
They kind of have to because of the world cup coming up. Also covid19 playing a big part in everything.
Tests have to be delayed due to covid19

Last edited by a moderator:
World cup?.. you mean the final of the World Test Championship?
Had they not chosen to chase the big bucks in IPL and instead stayed home and played these four Shield matches then a rest was warranted.

T20 world cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes the T20 WC is important. I expect our blokes wud've been more confident had it been played in our backyard instead of being postponed with India to play it in India.
There is sweet revenge to be had against India in the Test series tho. They beat us last time they were here.. first time at home in something like three decades.

Yes the T20 WC is important. I expect our blokes wud've been more confident had it been played in our backyard instead of being postponed with India to play it in India.
There is sweet revenge to be had against India in the Test series tho. They beat us last time they were here.. first time at home in something like three decades.

That is on next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As promised Mal something on Will Pucovski. The 22 year old stylish right hander has been talked about as the next "big thing" since his first red ball state games four year ago. He had also been a standout in the white ball U19 Nationals but with that praise came plenty of ill fortune for the young Victorian. He has since suffered several bad concussions which has led to worrying mental issues. The reason he pulled out at the last minute when selected for his first Baggy Green cap last year. At the time Pucovski was averaging @42 at First Class level.. well over acceptable for national selection when other candidates were still batting in the mid @30s.

To be honest it was a shock when Pucovski turned his back on a Baggy Green.. but understandable given his battle with mental health. Cricket purist tragics like yours truly wondered if the prodigiously talented batsman would ever play for Australia.

Well excellent news only this morning with Pucovski putting up his hand for national selection as in his words he has done "a mountain of work" the past year on his mental health.
" It's been a dream of mine since I can remember to play for Australia. From that perspective I'm definitely very keen to hopefully put my best foot forward in the Shield games. But it (Test selection) is out of my control, so I'll just be focusing on what I can control."

Last edited:
:thumbsu: good to see you here Jessica.

As promised Mal something on Will Pucovski. The 22 year old stylish right hander has been talked about as the next "big thing" since his first red ball state games four year ago. He had also been a standout in the white ball U19 Nationals but with that praise came plenty of ill fortune for the young Victorian. He has since suffered several bad concussions which has led to worrying mental issues. The reason he pulled out at the last minute when selected for his first Baggy Green cap last year. At the time Pucovski was averaging @42 at First Class level.. well over acceptable for national selection when other candidates were still batting in the mid @30s.

To be honest it was a shock when Pucovski turned his back on a Baggy Green.. but understandable given his battle with mental health. Cricket purist tragics like yours truly wondered if the prodigiously talented batsman would ever play for Australia.

Well excellent news only this morning with Pucovski putting up his hand for national selection as in his words he has done "a mountain of work" the past year on his mental health.
" It's been a dream of mine since I can remember to play for Australia. From that perspective I'm definitely very keen to hopefully put my best foot forward in the Shield games. But it (Test selection) is out of my control, so I'll just be focusing on what I can control."
Will Pucovski sounds like an excellent young player with a great attitude Richie... got to really admire him the way that he has battled through his mental issues.
Mate, did a lot of his concussions issues happen through playing a lot of pull & hook shots, mainly hook shots ? ...also what is his technique like at leaving short pitch deliveries directed accurately at throat & head level ?

Yeah, Pucovski definitely did the right thing turning his back on the Baggy Greens when he knew his mental attitude etc wasn't very good... in those type of situations all you are going to do is perform poorly when you know you can't focus properly.

Last edited:
More idocy from Cricket Australia Mal. Again a case of putting the importance of white ball cricket ahead of red ball. Seems to be CA's mantra. I am reading that the four Test players now in the IPL will be rested ahead of the upcoming Indian Test series despite not have any red ball match practice since way back in January. All four are being prepared to play the ODIs and T20s but will play in only one of the two Aussie A/India Test warm up matches.. a three dayer at Sydney. They will not play the A/India pink ball day/niter in Adelaide despite it being only four days before the First Test. So we bend over backwards to accommodate the BBCI re the quarantine/train security bubble so India will feel well prepared yet CA comes up with this nonsense that will only hurt our chances as this quality quartet of Smith, Hazlewood, Cummins and Warner will be going into this all important red ball series well underdone.
All this IPL crap is ruining test cricket Richie... as you say mate having 4 of your top players well underdone going into a test series is really going to disrupt your performance as an unit, that's almost a third of your starting team.

Will Pucovski sounds like an excellent young player with a great attitude Richie... got to really admire him the way that he has battled through his mental issues.
Mate, did a lot of his concussions issues happen through playing a lot of pull & hook shots, mainly hook shots ? ...also what is his technique like at leaving short pitch deliveries directed accurately at throat & head level ?

Yeah, Pucovski definitely did the right thing turning his back on the Baggy Greens when he knew his mental attitude etc wasn't very good... in those type of situations all you are going to do is perform poorly when you know you can't focus properly.
Mate I hope to heck he has given away the hook as I believe getting sconed several times created his concussions. The great Steve Waugh gave away the hook and he turned out ok. He has a solid and compact technique and plays the difficult on drive as well as anyone I have seen in the past.. Ponting included.

Back