The Lounge 2

Voting is compulsory in Australia Jessica, however the penalty is just a small fine and not hard to give an excuse like "I forgot".

I once worked as a local election officer and when counting up votes I made a special pile for all the Donkey votes where the paper was deliberately spoiled with rude words and drawings. I found them very entertaining and a nice break from a boring job. It paid well though.

Today's the day when Charles gets his Carnations. I jest.
Even tho I lean a little left I greatly respect the Monarchy and think King Charles III is a man very fit for his Crown. I'll vote against a Republic and while watching the Coronation today I will stand quietly, with hand on heart, as I make my pledge to my King.
Our PM will likewise give his pledge as he attends the ceremony. For the many millions watching on telly, it was suggested they make thier pledge at home watching the ceremony, and as I will.

Viewers will be invited to state: “I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law.

A good friend is in London holidaying and would love to attend the ceremony but will just wave her flag outside Westminster Abbey.
She's been buying up souvenirs including the anti-monarchy ones too for a bit of contrast. "Not my King" , ... "Camilla is my Queen."...

hhfv.jpg rwhoc.jpg

I once worked as a local election officer
My daughter has been doing that for years starting as a normal officer and now heading a polling station.
I hadn't voted for twenty-five years but have done it four or five times since 2015.

Last edited:
Voting is compulsory in Australia Jessica, however the penalty is just a small fine and not hard to give an excuse like "I forgot".

I once worked as a local election officer and when counting up votes I made a special pile for all the Donkey votes where the paper was deliberately spoiled with rude words and drawings. I found them very entertaining and a nice break from a boring job. It paid well though.
Can voters be identified and penalised though for Donkey votes?

I'll vote against a Republic and while watching the Coronation today I will stand quietly, with hand on heart, as I make my pledge to my King.
Is this said in jest Terry. You a pinko voting for a monarch.

I am an avowed Republican but I tell you what I dont like the way Harry has been treated by his family because he dared marry a commoner and a foreigner.

Last edited:
After very pleasant Autumnal weather Sydney has been hit with a bitterly cold stream of Polar air from the Great Southern Ocean.🥶

I used to wear socks like Charles above.
Long knee high white socks we called Walk socks. We'd wear them during hot summer months to still look respectable whilst wearing short shorts. Short sleeved shirts too, but still a tie, leather belt and clean shoes. The Ladies loved seeing a bit of male knee and would whistle and call out " Hey, sexy socks, ..." It was very embarrassing.
This picture below shows that wonderful old fashion style, which now is looking at a resurgence in popularity after King Charles' vision to resurrect that watershed of Men's liberation bearing their naked knee caps.
Charles above shows a more conservative style having socks that modestly cover his kneecaps. Note our King's royal garters to hold up his socks. The Most Noble Order of the Garter is an order of chivalry founded by Edward III of England in 1348. Fun fact!🤣

This used to be high fashion in Australia. The moustache too.
walksocks.jpg

All in jest of course, like my pledge Craig. I did it so I can honestly declare I did so. My dog witnessed my pledge.🐶🌤🇬🇧

Last edited:
Even tho I lean a little left I greatly respect the Monarchy and think King Charles III is a man very fit for his Crown. I'll vote against a Republic and while watching the Coronation today I will stand quietly, with hand on heart, as I make my pledge to my King.
Our PM will likewise give his pledge as he attends the ceremony. For the many millions watching on telly, it was suggested they make thier pledge at home watching the ceremony, and as I will.

Viewers will be invited to state: “I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law.

A good friend is in London holidaying and would love to attend the ceremony but will just wave her flag outside Westminster Abbey.
She's been buying up souvenirs including the anti-monarchy ones too for a bit of contrast. "Not my King" , ... "Camilla is my Queen."...

View attachment 1769View attachment 1770
Old Charlie looks looks like an 18th Century ponse in that royal regalia..

Last edited:
Long knee high white socks we called Walk socks. We'd wear them during hot summer months to still look respectable whilst wearing short shorts. Short sleeved shirts too, but still a tie, leather belt and clean shoes. The Ladies loved seeing a bit of male knee and would whistle and call out " Hey, sexy socks, ..." It was very embarrassing.
This picture below shows that wonderful old fashion style, which now is looking at a resurgence in popularity after King Charles' vision to resurrect that watershed of Men's liberation bearing their naked knee caps.
Charles above shows a more conservative style having socks that modestly cover his kneecaps. Note our King's royal garters to hold up his socks. The Most Noble Order of the Garter is an order of chivalry founded by Edward III of England in 1348. Fun fact!🤣

View attachment 1790

All in jest of course, like my pledge Craig. I did it so I can honestly declare I did so. My dog witnessed my pledge.🐶🌤🇬🇧
Mate I used to also wear shorts, long socks and those tie abominations like these two dudes. You'd have to say by todays dress standards these are the lowest depth of style. Imagine the cracks you'd get in this day if you turned up for work dressed like that.
We should start a nostalgia thread Terry. Post more of these 70/80s styless fashions.

Last edited:
Who would I vote for if I don't agree with what the parties offer?

That is a common explanation used by non-voters but it's more of an excuse since it can't reasonably be expected that anyone agrees completely with any party's programme that is meant to appeal to hundreds of thousands sometimes millions of people. It's the core elements of a programme (fundamental or long-term goals) that make a person vote for a party, sometimes even one element only (short-term goal). The other points are a pill to be swallowed. It's other reasons why people choose not to vote which often have to do with their self.

It's interesting, though, that in AUS there's a fine for not voting. Wouldn't have expected that in a liberal society even if it's kind of symbolic.

View attachment 1769View attachment 1770
We now know that the right pic is a fake since he's not wearing the leather glove to hold the sceptre nor the other garments. ;)

View attachment 1790

Hasn't that fashion style survived in the Bahamas?

Is this said in jest Terry. You a pinko voting for a monarch.

I am an avowed Republican but I tell you what I dont like the way Harry has been treated by his family because he dared marry a commoner and a foreigner.
He married a racist washed up actress. Most Brits have never even heard of her.
Kate was a commoner, but she has grace and dignity, unlike meg.

Most Brits have never even heard of her.
Jess he fell in love with her. As a member of the British Royal family he should have been respected over his choice of wife. He at least deserved that. It seemed to me looking from the outside that his own family virtually disowned him.

Jess he fell in love with her. As a member of the British Royal family he should have been respected over his choice of wife. He at least deserved that. It seemed to me looking from the outside that his own family virtually disowned him.
I'd disown him too. He's a traitor. She's married him for fame and fortune as her acting career was none existant. I'm not a royalist but he has brought shame onto the royal family.

That is a common explanation used by non-voters but it's more of an excuse since it can't reasonably be expected that anyone agrees completely with any party's programme that is meant to appeal to hundreds of thousands sometimes millions of people. It's the core elements of a programme (fundamental or long-term goals) that make a person vote for a party, sometimes even one element only (short-term goal). The other points are a pill to be swallowed. It's other reasons why people choose not to vote which often have to do with their self.

It's interesting, though, that in AUS there's a fine for not voting. Wouldn't have expected that in a liberal society even if it's kind of symbolic.
I'd sooner pay the penalty for not voting. I have no intention of ever voting. Most of my family share my views and don't vote either.👍

Mate I used to also wear shorts, long socks and those tie abominations like these two dudes. You'd have to say by todays dress standards these are the lowest depth of style. Imagine the cracks you'd get in this day if you turned up for work dressed like that.
We should start a nostalgia thread Terry. Post more of these 70/80s styless fashions.
You too Craig, a long walking sock man.. That style was indeed garish, but we went along with it.
Remember those platform shoes too for men mainly. I had a few pairs. Bay City Rollers stuff...to roll one's ankle!

I once heard a phrase to excuse one voting.
It was "There was no place to hitch my horse up", or something like that. An old expression inferring the voter didn't want to vote for any candidate or party. That 's fair.
I however do like the idea of "Compulsory Voting" for several reasons. It gets more people interested in the governance of our society, it gives them a say but most importantly the great unwashed masses tend to vote Left wing!! That's nice imho. It gives a truer and broarder snapshot of citizens' preferences...even Donkey votes. :)

Back