The Lounge 2

Nuclear fusion breakthrough: 'Holy grail' of power production is closer to reality

For years, nuclear scientists have tried to replicate the fusion process that takes place in billions of stars to create clean power on Earth. Now, a British team has reported hitting a major milestone in the quest, heating a nuclear reactor to the 'magic figure' of 100 million degrees Celsius.

This is the threshold where hydrogen atoms can begin to fuse into helium, releasing sustainable energy in the process that could put an end to fossil fuels.

Described as the 'holy grail', the milestone was achieved using the ST40 'spherical tokamak' – a 'cored-apple' shaped nuclear device in Oxfordshire – and the team is now working on a fusion reactor that can connect to the national grid in the 2030s.

The milestone is short of the record set by Chinese scientists in 2021, who ran their reactor at 120 million degrees Celsius.

Perth numero uno I suspect as you are from WA as Terry is. What prey tell is second over my magical Harbor City. Surely not Brisbane, I'd have Hobart ahead of it.
Don't tell any Victorians but I'd have Melbourne 2nd, I like how it's so different to here. Sydney is good but more of a large version of Perth.

To be honest they are just way to big and expensive, heck even Perth has become too big.

Ljp86 Ljp86 I'm actually looking to finally move back and buy a townhouse along the border of Inglewood/Maylands and even here I'll have to spend $700k+. Was earlier thinking Mosman Park but that's too expensive now after the recent rise in prices.

Lord knows what somewhere 4kms from the CBD would cost in Sydney or Melbourne.

And that's a big problem with those places, might be great if you are rich but any average Joe has to live way out in the sticks.

Last edited:
To be honest they (Sydney/Melbourne) are just way too big and expensive, heck even Perth has become too big.
Yeh more to a city than aesthetics, price and attraction. Reckon Hobart has all three covered.

Attachments

• 1686049483955.png
    1686049483955.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
As a Brit, Sydney is the most popular place to me. I've heard of Perth, Alice Springs, Melbourne, Queensland, can't think of anymore places at the top of my head 🤔

Don't tell any Victorians but I'd have Melbourne 2nd, I like how it's so different to here. Sydney is good but more of a large version of Perth.

To be honest they are just way to big and expensive, heck even Perth has become too big.

Ljp86 Ljp86 I'm actually looking to finally move back and buy a townhouse along the border of Inglewood/Maylands and even here I'll have to spend $700k+. Was earlier thinking Mosman Park but that's too expensive now after the recent rise in prices.

Lord knows what somewhere 4kms from the CBD would cost in Sydney or Melbourne.

And that's a big problem with those places, might be great if you are rich but any average Joe has to live way out in the sticks.

Nice, how come the move back to Perth?

Inglewood and Maylands are pretty reasonable areas these days and you'd need a fair bit to buy into there given their relative location from the CBD. Mosman Park would be incredibly expensive, even more so now after the price rises induced by the pandemic. Your best option is to have as much of a deposit as you can to assist with your buying power as the market is still very competitive at the moment.

Where else have you been looking?

Why thank you m'am 🤗

I am close to 30km south of the 'Coathanger'. Posted pics recently of our surroundings, including a river and bridge.
Do you visit the harbour? That is just a dream come true for me. A once in a lifetime opportunity but don't reckon it'll ever happen. ☹

Nice, how come the move back to Perth?

Inglewood and Maylands are pretty reasonable areas these days and you'd need a fair bit to buy into there given their relative location from the CBD. Mosman Park would be incredibly expensive, even more so now after the price rises induced by the pandemic. Your best option is to have as much of a deposit as you can to assist with your buying power as the market is still very competitive at the moment.

Where else have you been looking?
Nah I'll be paying cash so no loan, budget up to 800k. Racked my brain for other areas but pretty much decided on there. I used to live in Morley and Bedford so know it and it ticks all the boxes.

It will be a huge adjustment after all this time, it's certainly a different way of living that's for sure.

Nah I'll be paying cash so no loan, budget up to 800k. Racked my brain for other areas but pretty much decided on there. I used to live in Morley and Bedford so know it and it ticks all the boxes.

It will be a huge adjustment after all this time, it's certainly a different way of living that's for sure.

Hiya Kram and Ljp, I'm another Sandgroper Perthite living just east of Morley in Kiara.
I'm an Anglo-Irish-Aussie Grandfather POM having escaped Ulster 53 years ago.
All my family has drifted to the east like my two grown up daughters, siblings, grandkids, ... , but not me. I have a dog.

I worked in the Pilbara and all over WA as a Surveyor in my twenties several centuries ago. 😉 Now driving down to Morley Galleria is usually as far as I go. I used to push K-Mart trolleys there 50+ years ago. Even went to the Wirrina drive-in movies on Walter road, next to the old Boans store, the zenith of good taste in 1970 Morley.

ggyyfg.jpg large.png large.jpg

Last edited:

You have that much in cash!!!! 😱🤑😆

Staying at my brother's in Balmain/Sydney many decades ago, from his loft bedroom's skylight, I could just see all the Bridge explodinng with fireworks. He bought into the Sydney real estate market 5 decades ago, for a steal by today's figures, even cpi adjusted into today's real values.?

I don't like Sydney myself, too fast n furious 4 me. 😬
I'd much prefer Melbourne to Sydney, but doubt I'll ever leave my beloved Perth.

Back