The Lounge 2

I just posted this on another Forum about Russia starting to implode upon itself:

Another member wrote that it will take a civil war in Russia to stop Putin.

That civil war may have just started I replied, with the Evil of the Russian rogue state turning in on itself.

This is what Austrailia's trusted ABC is saying:

The founder of Russia's Wagner mercenary force, Yevgeny Prigozhin, says his men had crossed the border from Ukraine into Russia and were ready to go "all the way" against the Russian military.

Key points:Mr Prigozhin accused the Russian military leadership of killing a huge number of his fighters in an air strikeHe vowed to punish them, stating that this was not a military coup but "a march of justice" The Kremlin scrambled to tighten security as it accused Mr Prigozhin of armed mutiny

The move came not long after the Kremlin accused Mr Prigozhin of calling for armed mutiny.

Mr Prigozhin said earlier that Wagner field camps had been struck by rockets, helicopter gunships and artillery fire on orders from the chief of the military’s General Staff, General Valery Gerasimov.

He charged that General Gerasimov issued the order after a meeting with Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu, at which they decided to destroy Wagner.

As the Wagner troops were said to be driving into the Russian city of Rostov, Mr Prigozhin said that his mercenaries were greeted by border guards.

He said young conscripts at checkpoints stood back and offered no resistance, adding that his forces "aren’t fighting against children.”

"But we will destroy anyone who stands in our way,” he said. “We are moving forward and will go until the end."

Updates from the mercenary boss came from his channel on the messaging app Telegram, using audio messages in which the sound of his voice sometimes varied and could not be independently verified.

The presence of Wagner groups in Rostov is yet to be independently verified.

State news agency Tass reported that security was heightened in Rostov-on-Don.

www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-24/wagner-bo...nto-russia/102519616

No doubt the evil and callous War Criminal Putin is in for some sleepless nights. He is probably nervous about poisoned food too from his Cooks. Russians love assassinating with Poison as we all know.
:dry:
:unsure:
:blink:
:S

As much as I wish they’d succeed, I feel it is a completely insane attempt since it seems badly prepared and based on a blatant miscalculation of the balance of power. They will be defeated and Putin and his clique will be stronger than ever which will discourage all those with similar plans. Reminds me strongly of the events in 1934, 1944, and the failed move against Erdoğan.

Good decision considering that OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, whose Titan submersible took tourists down to see the seafloor wreck of the RMS Titanic, once told a reporter that "at some point, safety is just pure waste." And also sneering at the US submarine industry for being "obscenely safe, because they have all these regulations".

As much as I wish they’d succeed, I feel it is a completely insane attempt since it seems badly prepared and based on a blatant miscalculation of the balance of power. They will be defeated and Putin and his clique will be stronger than ever which will discourage all those with similar plans. Reminds me strongly of the events in 1934, 1944, and the failed move against Erdoğan.

Excellent points Thomas and in hindsight I agree except for one point, namely Putin's sway over Russia given the ABC article:

Listening to an ABC discussion someone said Putin's position of power comes mostly from three factors:
First he keeps the Elites divided.
Second he had a blunt instrument outside the law called Wagner.
Thirdly is Putin's Fear factor. 'Fear' to keep quiet all voices of dissent with implicit retaliation.

Well total control of Wagner's 25,000 hardened professional army is up in the air now.

Next is that the fear factor has decreased now that Yevgeny Prigozhin has stood up to Putin. (I'm paraphrasing here).

Lastly, seeing a weakened Putin the Elites may act in some manner?

Wagner Boss Yevgeny Prigozhin was banished to Belarus as an exile but he may well regret that. Putin's Henchman Alexander Lukashenko, Grand brutal Dictator of Belarus neighbouring both Russia to its east and Ukraine to its south.
He allowed the huge Russian military convoy passage through to the border with Ukraine just south of them.
What damn strategic exercises, lies, lies, lies ... !?

I doubt Putin will allow ex Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin to live much longer than a year unless Putin is got rid of first?
What happens then?

Lukashenko of Belarus may well serve up Putin's old cook Yevgeny a nice Arsenic salad. Russian diplomacy.

Last edited:
Yevgeny Prigozhin, says his men had crossed the border from Ukraine into Russia and were ready to go "all the way" against the Russian military.
Our hope of the downfall of the current Russia and Putin was short lived as the brutal mercenary turned chicken within view of Moscow after a deal by another of the region's brutal dictators Lukachenko apparently offered him sanctuary in Belarus rather than face mutiny charges if he was captured in Russia.
There was a chance that had the Wagner and the Free Russia military group made up of dissident soldiers, joined forces, that the Kremlin may have fallen. No doubt this is a huge setback for mad Vlad, but I wonder if had Prigozhin triumphed whether he'd have been any better than Putin. The Kremlin needs a moderate leader to restore Russia to good times.

No doubt this is a huge setback for mad Vlad, but I wonder if had Prigozhin triumphed whether he'd have been any better than Putin.
At the moment it looks like anybody is better than Putin except Kadyrow, of course. Prigozhin spoke out on why the war was started, and more importantly, his present ideas seem to reflect different war aims, which are less extreme than Putin's. He stated that until Feb. 24, 2022 there was no “insane aggression” on Ukraine's part, and Ukraine had no intention of jointly attacking Russia with NATO.
He denied that cities in the Donbas had been attacked by Ukraine over the first eight years of the war, and added that the Ukrainian army had only exchanged fire with Russian proxy forces. He also said the Donbas had been “plundered” by people from the Russian presidential administration, Russia’s FSB security service, and Russian oligarchs.
These are quite realistic insights and are diametrically opposed to Putin's official narrative. The question now is how that would have translated into practical policies, had he come to power?

Excellent points Thomas and in hindsight I agree except for one point, namely Putin's sway over Russia given the ABC article:

Listening to an ABC discussion someone said Putin's position of power comes mostly from three factors:
First he keeps the Elites divided.
Second he had a blunt instrument outside the law called Wagner.
Thirdly is Putin's Fear factor. 'Fear' to keep quiet all voices of dissent with implicit retaliation.

Well total control of Wagner's 25,000 hardened professional army is up in the air now.

Next is that the fear factor has decreased now that Yevgeny Prigozhin has stood up to Putin. (I'm paraphrasing here).

Lastly, seeing a weakened Putin the Elites may act in some manner?

Wagner Boss Yevgeny Prigozhin was banished to Belarus as an exile but he may well regret that. Putin's Henchman Alexander Lukashenko, Grand brutal Dictator of Belarus neighbouring both Russia to its east and Ukraine to its south.
He allowed the huge Russian military convoy passage through to the border with Ukraine just south of them.
What damn strategic exercises, lies, lies, lies ... !?

I doubt Putin will allow ex Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin to live much longer than a year unless Putin is got rid of first?
What happens then?

Lukashenko of Belarus may well serve up Putin's old cook Yevgeny a nice Arsenic salad. Russian diplomacy.

As you say, Prigozhin's half-hearted coup d'etat will make him a dead man walking before he shares Litvinenko's fate. His days are numbered. However, Europe can't be interested in a tottering Russian state heading towards complete chaos. A regime change is badly wanted but it must be a smooth one.
I'd like to add to the three pillars of Putin's power his neo-imperial ambitions which strike a cord with many people. They enable him to divert attention from domestic issues to foreign affairs which helps to establish some common ground among people and to unite them on that basis. Putin comes across bruised and battered. We'll see how his followers evaluate his undoubtedly weakened position. Let's also hope that Putin won't be going berserk.

Last edited:
This is the coldest winter I can remember in years.
Sydney has been copping what I termed the Beast from the South, a bitterly icy polar air stream that thankfully has moved north overnite. So this morning we are back to a mild sunny winter day. I can remove the beanie, gloves and other thermal attire during the day now.

As you say, Prigozhin's half-heated coup d'etat will make him a dead man walking before he shares Litvinenko's fate. His days are numbered. However, Europe can't be interested in a tottering Russian state heading towards complete chaos. A regime change is badly wanted but it must be a smooth one.
I'd like to add to the three pillars of Putin's power his neo-imperial ambitions which strike a cord with many people. They enable him to divert attention from domestic issues to foreign affairs which helps to establish some common ground among people and to unite them on that basis. Putin comes across bruised and battered. We'll see how his followers evaluate his undoubtedly weakened position. Let's also hope that Putin won't be going berserk.

This is the Russian private army trying to bring down the Kremlin that I alluded to earlier.

It's been very cold about Perth with a few places hitting zero C and a few in the minuses.
I actually pulled out my long johns to keep warm at night. My dog is wearing his thickest coat and I put his little blanket over him when he settles down at night in his bedding.

I thought Prigozhin would be mad to go to Belarus where he'd be knocked off but it seems he has gone there after all.
President Lukashenko of Belarus seems to want him and his Wagner army to strengthen his own army.
There seems to be more twists and turns in this story than a cut snake.

I also heard Ukraine's offensive is slowing down having little air cover from Russian jets. That's why Zelenskyy wants those F16 jets it said.

Seems the word is Putin's position has been greatly weakened by the recent almost revolt of Prigozhin.
I had a chuckle when I heard Putin was having hissy fits and tantrums. Hopefully it'll end up on U tube! 😄

God forbid Putin might resort to nukes but I heard one analyst say that was highly unlikely. It's still possible though.

I've been in minus temps and been snowed in, I loved it
You are a strange human being Jessica ;)
I also heard Ukraine's offensive is slowing down having little air cover from Russian jets. That's why Zelenskyy wants those F16 jets it said.
Puzzles me then why Zalensky did not hold back his much mooted offensive until the F-16s arrived and his pilots were fully trained. That Wagner neo-nazi leader is now saying that he never intended attacking Moscow. Not what he said after the Ruskies hit Wagner positions with missiles over criticsm of Putin and the Kremlin.

Last edited:
I actually pulled out my long johns to keep warm at night. My dog is wearing his thickest coat and I put his little blanket over him when he settles down at night in his bedding.
Is there no heating at all, or the heating lowered too far at night?

You are a strange human being Jessica ;)

Puzzles me then why Zalensky did not hold back his much mooted offensive until the F-16s arrived and his pilots were fully trained. That Wagner neo-nazi leader is now saying that he never intended attacking Moscow. Not what he said after the Ruskies hit Wagner positions with missiles over criticsm of Putin and the Kremlin.
It would've taken many months if not years before pilots are suffciently trained and enough jets delivered. As this war is gonna last a couple of years, he'll get his jets for the next offensive.
Why was the offensive mooted?

Back