The Lounge

I find it fiddly. I now ask my son to do it. He is cyber smart.. still takes him about 10 minutes or longer depending on amount of pics.

Last edited:
Haven't given an update for awhile. Thought i would try and do so politely.

Going ok have had to do my course from online because of some personal and private issues going on in my life at the moment.

Been able to get to umpire of a weekend but this weekend it's taking a break because of a covid19 spike in cases concerning the guy from Wollert.

Haven't given an update for awhile. Thought i would try and do so politely.

Going ok have had to do my course from online because of some personal and private issues going on in my life at the moment.

Been able to get to umpire of a weekend but this weekend it's taking a break because of a covid19 spike in cases concerning the guy from Wollert.
Good luck with your course👍
I've just completed a health and safety course 🤗

The European Football Championships are starting today. Germany's first match will be on Tuesday against France, the current champion. Will be an uphill battle, I suppose. I don't expect much from our team anyway 'cos it did not perform well in the qualification and completely failed in the last world cup in Russia.

Summer is setting in now but we're still benefiting from supplies from overseas such as these apples I'm enjoying. Thanks, Mal, for your generosity. 🤗

1623430642948.jpeg

Australia also grows Royal Gala Thomas. Not sure if we export them like the Kiwis do. To be brutally honest I dont enjoy an apple anymore as they are not the crunchy kind of my youth. All our best fruit is exported and we Aussies get the inferior product. I have always enjoyed delicious Muscatel grapes. The best are exported fresh while we get the stored version. In fact a lot of our fruit is wax stored.

Well, my remark on Mal's generosity was tongue-in-cheek, of course. The downside undoubtedly is apples being shipped around the world rather than people feeding on local produce even if that means that they can't eat, say, grapes at any time throughout the year.
No chance of making them change their mind, it seems.
Since you mentioned wax storing, this very apple I photographed felt waxy indeed and that's why I peeled it as I usually do. My impression is that our apples are also stored waxed. So what's the point of importing waxed ones from down under? I usually buy not the least expensive apples but reasonably priced ones. So this time, I picked those from NZ but only noticed at home where they are from. I usually end up buying German ones but these are not Royal Gala but Braeburn which originate from NZ, too, but are grown over here and are constantly on offer. The grapes that I, admittedly, eat all year round are, during our winter season, from South Africa, South America (Peru, Brazil), India, and Egypt.
Incidently, and perhaps B BettyBoo can help since she works for Tesco, Sainsbury's, or Asda?, who actually decides what produce is imported from which place in the world? The large import/export companies or someone else?

It's hard to imagine that Aussies get inferior produce. Is that really so? I'm asking because that is typical of weak economies that don't have freely convertible currencies or weak ones at least. I grew up in a country where everything was exported just to earn valuta because our currency was not convertible. But that certainly doesn't apply to AUS?

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine that Aussies get inferior produce. Is that really so?
Probably not but seems so is all. I refer to apples and grapes mostly. We certainly get the freshest tropical fruits.. pineapple, paw paw, melons, coconuts and bananas.. nothing waxed stored among this large variety. Mostly tropical fruit is grown in northern New South or further up in North Queensland.

Well, my remark on Mal's generosity was tongue-in-cheek, of course. The downside undoubtedly is apples being shipped around the world rather than people feeding on local produce even if that means that they can't eat, say, grapes at any time throughout the year.
No chance of making them change their mind, it seems.
Since you mentioned wax storing, this very apple I photographed felt waxy indeed and that's why I peeled it as I usually do. My impression is that our apples are also stored waxed. So what's the point of importing waxed ones from down under? I usually buy not the least expensive apples but reasonably priced ones. So this time, I picked those from NZ but only noticed at home where they are from. I usually end up buying German ones but these are not Royal Gala but Braeburn which originate from NZ, too, but are grown over here and are constantly on offer. The grapes that I, admittedly, eat all year round are, during our winter season, from South Africa, South America (Peru, Brazil), India, and Egypt.
Incidently, and perhaps B BettyBoo can help since she works for Tesco, Sainsbury's, or Asda?, who actually decides what produce is imported from which place in the world? The large import/export companies or someone else?

It's hard to imagine that Aussies get inferior produce. Is that really so? I'm asking because that is typical of weak economies that don't have freely convertible currencies or weak ones at least. I grew up in a country where everything was exported just to earn valuta because our currency was not convertible. But that certainly doesn't apply to AUS?
I just do home deliveries Thomas, I don't have anything to do with what gets imported, I do however know that Brits love Golden Delicious apples, I do deliver lots of those, and I had a box of grapes myself yesterday, I love the green seedless ones 😋

Probably not but seems so is all. I refer to apples and grapes mostly. We certainly get the freshest tropical fruits.. pineapple, paw paw, melons, coconuts and bananas.. nothing waxed stored among this large variety. Mostly tropical fruit is grown in northern New South or further up in North Queensland.
Bush Tucker Man, in one of his episodes, pointed across the sea to The Solomon Islands and said the fluid inside coconuts gets used inside IV drips used in hospitals over there. The missionaries planted the coconut trees so many years ago. 🌴

Last edited:
Waiting for a big storm to hit the UK at the moment and there's talk of the worst winter in over 100 years to follow. If that's the case, Jesus it's gonna be bad, the last 2 were in 1961 and 1949 and that was in the days when people had hard lives and they got on with stuff. 6" of snow here these days throws the country into chaos, so snow for 3 or 4 months several feet deep will be carnage what with 95% of our food and good moving around by road!
I think I remember this, I was living in a rural village at the time, the snow was bad and the weight of it as it gathered on a tree actually uprooted the tree, it landed across our main access road cutting us off from the nearest town ☃️

Jessica the G7 Summit was held in your home town of Cornwall. Was it located anywhere near where you lived. Australia and UK have just signed off on a new trade deal. Hopefully you now taking our products like wine and beef will help offset the losses to our farmers when China shut its door to our exports last year. And by us taking your products we can aid your economy to get back on its feet. It has taken a fearful beating from Covid.

Last edited:
Hey, Mal, I've been missing you, too, and so have Jessica and Richie! Where are you? Hope you are OK and you can read this and if so, come here again please and join our little forum again. Signman Signman

Last edited:
The white grapes.. even tho they are a lite green? I like those and the black seeded variety. You do know that eating grape seeds is healthy for you Jessica and Thomas.
Yep, I know because precious oil is made of them but I prefer the red seedless because the seeds are not good for my teeth.

Jessica the G7 Summit was held in your home town of Cornwall. Was it located anywhere near where you lived. Australia and UK have just signed off on a new trade deal. Hopefully you now taking our products like wine and beef will help offset the losses to our farmers when China shut its door to our exports last year. And by us taking your products we can aid your economy to get back on its feet. It has taken a fearful beating from Covid.
I've been to that beach that our leaders were on many times Richie, I lived only a few miles away. I saw on our news that a new trade deal had been struck, it's about time we had some good news 🤗
Hope you enjoy our products, I'm sure we'll enjoy yours, we can discuss them here when it all happens 👍

Good morning,

We're having our first heatwave with temps of 95F. Need to keep cool ;-) but have just been jogging with my new shoes. Bought three pairs yesterday.

Yesterday my miniature dachshund Sari (for those who don't know) was operated on and two tumours at her teats were removed. She also lost two more teeth and now has to take pills due to dysfunctional heart valves. Cost 950 AUD. Two more appointments, tomorrow and on Monday to check.

Sari-OP2.jpg
Sari-OP3.jpg

Back