Victorian Premier Cricket 08/09

Re: Victorian Premier Cricket 08/09

Paul.crown6;220134 said:
Any thoughts on the pitches at casey fields? any good?

Not too bad. Bit it it for bowlers. Good for batting.

Its hard to say.. Casey got smacked every week so once they are competitive it will be a better indicator.

Paul.crown6;220134 said:
Any thoughts on the pitches at casey fields? any good?

Will take 3 or so years to see what the pitches down at casey fields have to offer in full as they were brand new squares placed in. The first season was tough for them, teh ground was only half done really.

Some news from Richmond

A new coach as been appointed 25 year Jarrod Loughman he has bere n playing at the club for a while now bertween the 1sts and 2nds.

Allan Wise has gone to South Australia (he has signed a 2 year deal) after Victoria failed to give him a contract.

Sam Taylor will continue to play for Richmond next season although not as captain.

English recruit Neil Edwards will not return for the 2008/09 season but another Somerset player will come and play with Richmond instead.

Good to see you across MRobbo (if you are the same feller) hope to see the premier cricket discussion take off like all the other local leagues we have going here

Right down to business. Pick your top eight in order for this season. Taking into account playing lists, personel, etc here is my tip as follows.

1. Dandenong
2. Carlton
3. Geelong
4. Footscray
5. Ringwood
6. Melbourne University
7. Casey-SM
8. Melbourne
----------------------
9. Fitz-Donc
10. Prahan
11. St.Kilda

footscray, casey are the better lower grade pitches, footscrays is a road but rewards you if you bend your back. chris rogers to essendon which is exciting for us, a good bloke too.

Here's my top 8:

1. Melbourne
2. Dandenong
3. Carlton
4. Footscray
5. Geelong
6. Ringwood
7. Melbourne Uni
8. Hawthorn/Monash
--------------------
9. StKilda
10. Camberwell

Rest will struggle

I feel the couple of players the SOuth have picked up will make for an intersting time with that side. Could be a bit of a dark horse with a top 6 finish for me.

Frankston to finish bottom two

Guru™;220340 said:
I feel the couple of players the SOuth have picked up will make for an intersting time with that side. Could be a bit of a dark horse with a top 6 finish for me.

South have a handy little bowling attack now with Wright, Herrick, Perera and Rose however batting is still going to be a massive issue. They will be big improvers and I tipped them to finih 7th before, maybe 9th or 10th is more realistic.

Dandenong going to be hard to stop with Dempsey replacing Ayres one for one. Carlton will be up there again without doubt and the challenge is there for Ringwood, Geelong and Footscray to back up last years break out seasons.

Guru™;220340 said:

Think that you're bang on with the batting. Entwhistle needs to make 600+ for them to have any chance, with Hansen chipping in.

Cutting Half Volleys;220643 said:
Think that you're bang on with the batting. Entwhistle needs to make 600+ for them to have any chance, with Hansen chipping in.

Entwhistle is the most selfish player in the competition. He goes from sh*t club to sh*t club and rapes them for cash! Hawthorn to Franskston to South Melbourne. Racking up games at sh*t clubs doesn't mean you can play the game...

Hottip06 - I can't deny that Entwistle is a tool but if clubs are willing to pay him, it's not his fault. You can say what you want about him but he has developed into a more than handy 1st XI player. It will be very interesting this year to see where so called sh*t clubs finish up.

hottip06;220585 said:
South have a handy little bowling attack now with Wright, Herrick, Perera and Rose however batting is still going to be a massive issue. They will be big improvers and I tipped them to finih 7th before, maybe 9th or 10th is more realistic.

you forgot hawking.

hottip06;221329 said:
Entwhistle is the most selfish player in the competition. He goes from sh*t club to sh*t club and rapes them for cash! Hawthorn to Franskston to South Melbourne. Racking up games at sh*t clubs doesn't mean you can play the game...

Very harsh on Craig. He started at Frankstons, improved his cricket greatly got the opportunity (the way he thought) was better with the Hawks and now I feel he is at South to try and build a successful club or one that is on the way up. He is ageing and being at South gives him more 1st eleven games while giving the kids the opportunity to play with young guys.

Young spinners are making their name at the moment. Rose and Holland have both shown to be up there at Victorian junior levels. Who else are spinners to watch?

Obviously Beer has been going very well the past few years, but St Kilda are pretty excited about a young legspinner Wallace. I don't think he's got a game in the 1sts yet, but there are some wraps on him. In the High Performance Academy this year.

Sean Sturrock from Melbourne gives it a good rip, a left arm wrist spinner with a good wrong-un.

DizzyGillepsie;221340 said:
you forgot hawking.

A handy first XI at a sh*t club! He makes 100's and they get flogged because he is selfish and bats for himself!

And about Hawking, anyone who has played over 100 games (no finals) and never taken a five-for cannot be taken seriously!!!!

1. Carlton - always consistent, adding Holland should help their 2 Day fortunes a bit. If Pilon plays all the year, should be in the top couple. Qualms a bit over the batting, with a lot of stroke makers, and weren't as effective last season when Allen struggled. Missing him permanently now, they'd hope to find someone else to bat around at the top.
2. Ringwood - batting still a little behind a few other sides, but with a very solid bowling attack. If Gale can stay fit for a whole season, it would only get better. Stray should continue his improvement, notching up a big season.
3. Footscray - again be up there, mainly due to their bowling attack. McCammond, Lindsay and Duckworth are a great pace attack. Geisler the key when batting, tend to have a bit of a weakness against spin; lots of spinners have done well against them in the past few years.
4. Dandenong - batting somewhat underperformed last year, Sarna didn't have his greatest year nor did Ayres. Yet another kid comes off the production line down there though in Forsyth. Hoping that they will be able to keep their quicks out on the park for most of the season; if Boraston has consistent support then they'll be up this end of the table for nearly all the year.
5. Melbourne - be interesting to see who wicket keeps for them this year. Batting is always strong, but rely on Kent much like Carlton relied on Allen. A lot of stroke players who perform best when they have someone to bat around. Expect Baldwin to have a big year. Dale to sure up the bowling, couple of young quicks who will be OK.
6. Geelong - with that batting line-up, you'd expect them to win more than they lose again this year. Improvement to come from Shanahan and Dean.
7. Camberwell - Evans had a breakout year last year. Batting still has question marks around it, would be hoping to get Bray back this year, and looks a fair bit better when Wade is there. Troy Ryan had a great season, hopefully he can do the same. Have made the finals every second year for the last seven years or so, thus I'm tipping them to do the same again.
8. Fitzroy Doncaster - making this tip on the assumption that Knowles will stay. Knowles and Fagg are two very good quicks, just need a bit of pace in the deck to work with. Batting relies a fair bit on Dickson, especially without Mash when he's got Vic duties. Tim Sheehan becomes vital.
---
9. University - outside of 06/07, always very well disciplined. Their batting still lacks a bit, but a well drilled bowling unit led by Williams, and hopefully Mark Simpson can find some form with the stick.
10. Richmond - hopefully they get something happening on that deck of theirs, slowest thing in the world. Anyways, always win a few games when they get their Vic players back, loss of Wise will hurt but hopefully Fekete can get through the season and take some poles.
11. St Kilda - a little bit in hope this one, because you know that they'll pick up some players. However, at this stage, they've lost Carr, Herrick, Klinger, Jewell and with Quiney playing more and more cricket for the Bushrangers, it's just hard to see how they'll win games, in spite of the efforts of Beer and Warren.
12. Hawthorn-Monash - will always win games off the back of Dart and Spoljaric. Rumoured to have lost Alleyne, but seemed to unearth a few finds last year, esp. Dewar who did well at the end of the season. Another mid table year, just missing out on the finals again.
13. Frankston - depends on how often Jewell is available, but expect some improvement. They've got some handy kids coming through, Ryan and Clement are both good. Need Miller to stay out on the track, and expect big Groves to be a handful at home.
14. Essendon - bowling seems a tad fragile without Clint McKay, although when I saw them they didn't have his brother who did pretty well last year. Batting revolved around Fletcher and Mato, and can rely on Berger and Hutchison to value their wicket highly. Always competitive, and will probably finish higher than this, just didn't really know where to put them.
15. Prahran - Huckett will try his heart out, Schlittler will get going in a few games. Harrison hopefully has that big year, because he's that good to watch it's silly. Just missing the depth, with a lot of players who are good 2nd XI players but just haven't found their niche in 1st XI cricket.
16. Casey-South Melbourne - will get some momentum in the back half of the year, but I reckon they'll be a bit like Fitzroy last year; a few name pickups but Wright and Herrick both have injury baggage. Batting still needs some oomph.
17. Northcote - picked up Alleyne, which will help give the side some batting depth. Him, Gloury and Wildsmith should hopefully get some runs for them. Bowling really struggled last year, that's where they need some help. Brad Page can bowl with some OK wheels, but is inconsistent.
18. North Melbourne - who will they have!? Their decent players have left (Maurice, Pizaro) for retirement, Dempsey has headed to Dandenong, and McDonald wants to go to Footscray. Why would you want to play on that deck? And train out of portables? And now even their afternoon tea has hit the skids. Urgh!

Back