Victorian Premier Cricket 08/09

Re: Victorian Premier Cricket 08/09

It's a Fevolution!!!;222507 said:
Anyone rate the bombers for the upcoming season?

Got a reasonably experienced side, with Berger, Fletcher, Hutchinson, Chris Rogers for a few games and young guns in Aaron Mato and Ben McRae (Two 1st XI tons in 07/08), plus C.McKay for a few games and his brother, as well as young spinner in Johnstone (did ok last year) and Steven Reid, a vic u17 fast bowler.

Pretty versatile team with plenty of allrounders, but batting last year had many collapses.

There bowling is not all that strong, but a few youngsters coming through (Johnstone,Reid)

Any thoughts???

Not bad there but you say a few of the guys will only play a couple of games so they will need to hope that those games are against weaker sides

My pre-season ladder for season 08/09, plus explanations for each.

1. Dandenong: Team to beat. Although they have lost Ayres, replaced him with Dempsey. Sarna and Forsyth two on the rise, plus bowling attack of Pattinson x2, Siddle (occassionally), Boraston and Newman.
2. Footscray-Edgewater: Great bowling attack, McCammond, Duckworth, Lindsay etc, batting reasonable, with Geisler, Love and Gunn. Had a good season last year, will be keen to back it up again.
3. Carlton: Always up the top, but have lost Allen and Gulbis may push for a one-day spot. Bowling very similar but effective, addition of Holland won't hurt either.
4. Geelong: Finch, Shaun Dean, Buchanan and Davies form nucleus of batting, while bowling was very effective last year.
5. Melbourne: Hill, Baldwin and Kent to make the majority of the runs, while Scheetz was good late last year and Sturrock made some progress as last season went on.
6. Hawthorn Monash University: Dart, Spoljaric, Sillence and maybe Benham will be their side, the rest can contribute.
7. Ringwood: Not a case of second year blues, but teams will begin to work them out and they will not be unknowns anymore.
8. Casey-South Melbourne: Great bowling depth with Hawking, Wright, Herrick, Perera, Hoogenboom ad Rose, but batting extremely fragile.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
9. Melbourne University: Well-drilled side with no superstars, all players contribute. Will be ultra-competitive, but can't see them in top 8.
10. Essendon: Could be a bolter, with Mato and McRae hungry for runs, addition of Rogers, and Berger, Hutchinson and Fletcher providing experience. McKay will play a few games, and a few young bowlers pushing through (Johnstone, Slevison and Reid). Hard to predict.
11. Fitzroy Doncaster: Capable of much more, but have underperformed recently. May have Mash more often due to arrival of Rogers. Bowling not too bad on paper. Could be a suprise packet, but recent history suggests not.
12. St Kilda: Massive shake-up, new captain and coach, no Jewell and Klinger, but somehow they are always are competitive and have a winning culture.
13. Camberwell Magpies: Evans very good last year, Hill a good player. Ryan very good bowler, but may be an also-ran.
14. Richmond: Year of transition, with new coach once again. Lost Wise, but bowling still ok on paper. Just too inconsistent. Read Fremantle in the AFL.
15. Prahran: Rely heavily on Schlittler and Huckett, Harrison may re-emerge. Too much left to too few.
16. Northcote: Rely heavily on Alleyne, Gloury, Carlson and Wildsmith for runs, only bowler to speak of is Hoare, the rest are military medium.
17. Frankston Peninsula: When Jewell and Walker play competitive, when they don't, easybeats.
18. North Melbourne: Bad year coming up for the Roos, poor facilities, crap pitch, no Dempsey, no good....

I was drinking in st kilda on the weekend and met a few Hawks players and i asked about the rumours about sillence and benham, but apparently they arnen't going to be getting any more professionals and are looking to develop their quality youngsters e.g. porker, rengarajah, dewar and they have already got a few marquee players in Dart, Spoljaric, Miller and Cookson. So i thought that was interesting!

I also heard that North are currently in the move towards Beer from St Kilda, to become their professional (good money from what is going around). Apparently Beer isn't happy that all his mates from the saints have left and is looking to further his development. Definately a good move i think.

Beer is moving from a club that will be alright to a side that has no hope, stupid decision.

Hawks also have Dale Tormey, young guy who is over in England making some runs. Played as a middle order batsman last season didn't do anything special but will be one to watch for the future

Stupid move by Beer, but I reckon he'll take 70 wickets at Arden St.

Where's that dale tormey playing in england? Is there a website to see his scores?

Yeh i think Beer will do well at arden st. I guess he wants to help a struggling club get better, and would make sense him leaving seeing though all his teammates have shipped out as well/

Wheels;222652 said:
I was drinking in st kilda on the weekend and met a few Hawks players and i asked about the rumours about sillence and benham, but apparently they arnen't going to be getting any more professionals and are looking to develop their quality youngsters e.g. porker, rengarajah, dewar and they have already got a few marquee players in Dart, Spoljaric, Miller and Cookson.

Please dont EVER say the name Cookson and marquee players in the same sentence again! That physically put sick in my mouth!
He spent the first 70 games of his career keeping and batting 11 at two Ringwood (who never got near the finals) and Hawthorn (ditto).

I think the Hawks may come good this year, but it wont be because of him - just a player at this level.

Cookson is a top player. He is obviously a class keeper to be able to keep ahead of Alleyne who was a county player. He has also made valuable runs when its counted for the Hawks.

Cookson is not a top player, he would be in the bottom 4 keeper/batsmen in the comp. He only kept in front of Alleyne because Alleyne preferred to stand at mid-off picking daisies, he couldn't be bothered keeping.

I saw Cookson bat against Dandenong in a Semi Final (I think) 2 seasons ago. He got some quick runs that day and handled Siddle and Pattinson with ease!

Wheels;222695 said:
Cookson is a top player. He is obviously a class keeper to be able to keep ahead of Alleyne who was a county player. He has also made valuable runs when its counted for the Hawks.

You've got to be kidding! What does he average for his career - 12-13? Remember he batted at no.11 for his first 70 games!
He was only keeping because Alleyne didn't want to having kept all winter! So please get your facts right.
Valuable runs when it counted - when? The Hawks haven't been involved in a game that counted for over a decade...

It's a Fevolution!!!;222586 said:
My pre-season ladder for season 08/09, plus explanations for each.

1. Dandenong: Team to beat. Although they have lost Ayres, replaced him with Dempsey. Sarna and Forsyth two on the rise, plus bowling attack of Pattinson x2, Siddle (occassionally), Boraston and Newman.
2. Footscray-Edgewater: Great bowling attack, McCammond, Duckworth, Lindsay etc, batting reasonable, with Geisler, Love and Gunn. Had a good season last year, will be keen to back it up again.
3. Carlton: Always up the top, but have lost Allen and Gulbis may push for a one-day spot. Bowling very similar but effective, addition of Holland won't hurt either.
4. Geelong: Finch, Shaun Dean, Buchanan and Davies form nucleus of batting, while bowling was very effective last year.
5. Melbourne: Hill, Baldwin and Kent to make the majority of the runs, while Scheetz was good late last year and Sturrock made some progress as last season went on.
6. Hawthorn Monash University: Dart, Spoljaric, Sillence and maybe Benham will be their side, the rest can contribute.
7. Ringwood: Not a case of second year blues, but teams will begin to work them out and they will not be unknowns anymore.
8. Casey-South Melbourne: Great bowling depth with Hawking, Wright, Herrick, Perera, Hoogenboom ad Rose, but batting extremely fragile.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
9. Melbourne University: Well-drilled side with no superstars, all players contribute. Will be ultra-competitive, but can't see them in top 8.
10. Essendon: Could be a bolter, with Mato and McRae hungry for runs, addition of Rogers, and Berger, Hutchinson and Fletcher providing experience. McKay will play a few games, and a few young bowlers pushing through (Johnstone, Slevison and Reid). Hard to predict.
11. Fitzroy Doncaster: Capable of much more, but have underperformed recently. May have Mash more often due to arrival of Rogers. Bowling not too bad on paper. Could be a suprise packet, but recent history suggests not.
12. St Kilda: Massive shake-up, new captain and coach, no Jewell and Klinger, but somehow they are always are competitive and have a winning culture.
13. Camberwell Magpies: Evans very good last year, Hill a good player. Ryan very good bowler, but may be an also-ran.
14. Richmond: Year of transition, with new coach once again. Lost Wise, but bowling still ok on paper. Just too inconsistent. Read Fremantle in the AFL.
15. Prahran: Rely heavily on Schlittler and Huckett, Harrison may re-emerge. Too much left to too few.
16. Northcote: Rely heavily on Alleyne, Gloury, Carlson and Wildsmith for runs, only bowler to speak of is Hoare, the rest are military medium.
17. Frankston Peninsula: When Jewell and Walker play competitive, when they don't, easybeats.
18. North Melbourne: Bad year coming up for the Roos, poor facilities, crap pitch, no Dempsey, no good....

I think your on the money. Although I think Melbourne Uni have enough going for them to make the eight. Very disciplined unit and a good one day side which should give them enough wins to get there.

Essendon and Camberwell are the ones outside the finals there that could finish anywhere between 5th and 8th. Both unknown quantities but have the talent to beat most teams on their day. Fitzroy too can fit into that boat, but haven't got the support for Dickson and Mash in the top 6, although at full strength are a dangerous side.

Top four is spot on but could be in any order - Dand, Foots, Carl and Geel

hottip06;222712 said:
You've got to be kidding! What does he average for his career - 12-13? Remember he batted at no.11 for his first 70 games!
He was only keeping because Alleyne didn't want to having kept all winter! So please get your facts right.
Valuable runs when it counted - when? The Hawks haven't been involved in a game that counted for over a decade...

Cookson has made runs when its counted and my mail is that Alleyne wasn't up to where Cookson was when keeping to Hewat (the leggy).

five80;219097 said:
David Alleyne is named Captain of Northcote, 3rd club in 3 years? Wonder what happened there?
Try 5 clubs in 5 years played at Bundoora OP's in the subbies and one of the clubs in Eastern Cricket ASS. I know for a fact when he left OP's they had given him a car to use and he rang them from the airport to to tell them he had left the car behind the pavillion with key in it and it was trashed

gloves74;222826 said:
Try 5 clubs in 5 years played at Bundoora OP's in the subbies and one of the clubs in Eastern Cricket ASS. I know for a fact when he left OP's they had given him a car to use and he rang them from the airport to to tell them he had left the car behind the pavillion with key in it and it was trashed

I would be questioning the reasoning behind Northcotes decision, the guy obviously just plays for money and nothing else. I wouldn't want him leading the side or plain old playing for the guy. He must be an awesome captain

Guru™;222832 said:
I would be questioning the reasoning behind Northcotes decision, the guy obviously just plays for money and nothing else. I wouldn't want him leading the side or plain old playing for the guy. He must be an awesome captain
Mate he abusers umpires and his own players I just hope Northcote know what there in for

There is a rumor going around that Paul Newman is joining his brother at Dandenong that will make there side even harder to beat.

Wheels;222811 said:
Cookson has made runs when its counted and my mail is that Alleyne wasn't up to where Cookson was when keeping to Hewat (the leggy).

Like I said, when was the last time the Hawks played in a game that counted?

Its hard to make runs in games that count when you haven't actually played in any!

gloves74;222844 said:
There is a rumor going around that Paul Newman is joining his brother at Dandenong that will make there side even harder to beat.
Definitely happening. Both living in Ky at the moment, travelling down together for training/games, etc. Played a bit at South Melbourne a few years ago, and did OK. With their line-up, would have thought he'd end up being a fringe player though.

Guru™;222832 said:
One place Northcote has gone right is their appointment of coach. Huge coup.

Alleyne spent two years at Richmond, not just one.

Back