VTCA Cricket - General Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: VTCA Cricket - General Chat

cherried_lid;364304 said:
Cash helps, but it isn't the most important factor....

I actually reckon it's going a little the other way...clubs are setting there budget very tightly and some players are pricing themselves out of reach!! Too many clubs have gone to the wall chasing big name players....we won't be one of them!!

Former South Caulfield keeper Jon Simpson made 87 and 41 on debut for Middlesex last week. Any other former VTCA players doing well Overseas.

southern sledge;364714 said:
Former South Caulfield keeper Jon Simpson made 87 and 41 on debut for Middlesex last week. Any other former VTCA players doing well Overseas.
Stuart Broad, ex Hoppers Crossing player is going ok I believe.

I think Gavin Hamilton (Scotland, formerly Yorkshire and Durham) may of played somewhere like Spotswood or Sedden? sure one of these clubs will confirm or not.

roosters hack;364310 said:
I actually reckon it's going a little the other way...clubs are setting there budget very tightly and some players are pricing themselves out of reach!! Too many clubs have gone to the wall chasing big name players....we won't be one of them!!

cherried_lid;364304 said:
Cash helps, but it isn't the most important factor....

Good point. Strange how DollarVille can continually put a side on the paddock each weekend many of whom would still be playing Premier First IX. It is sad that the VTCA Senior Division premiership has become a trophy for the club with the biggest purchasing power, legitimate or not. Unfortunatley $$ are ruining the fabric of suburban cricket and I'm not sure of the long term value of clubs that rely on mercinaries. Not only that, but in recent years Senior Division has depleted the quality of cricket in South and North Divisions largely because the better players are being enticed and succumbed by the wealthy clubs in Senior and Senior A.

Too Old Body Broke;364169 said:
I agree with you that a quality bat will make runs at most clubs. However, I strongly disagree with your comment that "loyalty doesn't matter". It does now appear that there are quite a few players that do not wish to show loyalty to a club, which is sad IMO. Most clubs are built around players/officials that have been at their club for many years. These are the quality people that keep clubs strong and get enjoyment out of seeing their club thrive. In my time at Spotty (18 years) , I cannot recall ever losing a "professional player" to another club in the vtca, however my memory is not great. It has been a pleaseure to play with so many dedicated guys who play on with Spotty for $0, when they could have taken the option of moving on for more $'s. Each to their own.....:)

Agreed. Sadly some clubs (particularly in recent years) are losing sight of what makes a great club a great club. Credit to Spotswood - the fact that you have retained blokes over a period of time says lots about you as a club and the quality of people you have attracted /nurtured/ retained at your club.

underarm bowler;364892 said:
I think Gavin Hamilton (Scotland, formerly Yorkshire and Durham) may of played somewhere like Spotswood or Sedden? sure one of these clubs will confirm or not.

Played with Spotswood in 97/98 and 98/99 i think. was a decent bowler, but now apparently has the yips. has played alright for scotland on occasions, lets not talk about his only test appearance for england though :eek:

EDIT: maybe we only had him in 97/98 and had Garry Fellowes in 98/99 and 99/00. i remember we definetly had fellowes for 2 seasons.

Dizzy you are right he did get the yips....Fellows and Hamilton were both tidy county players.....who like a drink! Seems like there is a bit of a trend that not so many county players (1st X1 squad) are being allowed to come over for full seasons.....possibly why clubs are looking more to sub cont players.

underarm bowler;364968 said:
Seems like there is a bit of a trend that not so many county players (1st X1 squad) are being allowed to come over for full seasons

Partly due to things like the ICL and IPL, county teams were scared of losing players so signed them to 12 month contracts instead of the usual 6/7/8 months.

Also, some county teams have moved in terms of professionalism and now expect players to train under their watch all year round; not go away and then turn up in March in a state.

Whether it's a good thing or a bad thing is open to debate but there is no doubt that players are missing on experiencing something different. This is one of the reasons that the ECB (I think may be the PCB) have been sponsoring or at least part sponsoring select players to play in Australia.

I have no doubt that fixturing is a nightmare and made especially difficult when grounds are being redeveloped, etc, however why is it that Premier, Subbies (of which I consistently read we are on par with - if not better than), and even CMCA have all their fixtures out?

2 weeks to go and no-one has any idea as to who or where they are playing for the season - let alone Round 1!!!

If the VTCA are fir dinkum about being one of the elite turf competitions they should focus on things like getting the fixtures out at a reasonable time rather than defend their competition and constantly make excuses.

Fully agree Member with everything you just said. I guess it doesn't matter who we are playing but more so the structure of the fixtures.is it going to be all 2 dayers then 1 dayers.or 1 dayers thrown in between 2 day games. Like someone posted before, some clubs actually need to arrange social functions (often on the result day of a game) and can't plan their season on someone writing a cheque!!!!!

Have made some inquiries over the weekend and it seems like the Fixture is just about done, but a couple of clubs stuffed up their ground availabilities which meant that it had to be redone once again, also the ground sharing with the Mercantile Social Cricket Association has caused problems. With over 100 grounds needed for weekly games it causes problems when over a dozen are out for the year.

Was just wondering about any sides in nth senior that have got off to good starts in practice matches. Players getting wickets/runs etc in the early part of the season?

mr roliek;363215 said:
g,day max, your dead right about airport west last year suprising everyone and preforming so well. they are a great team and the blokes are a good bunch, BUT i no first hand that after their new recruit signed recently that a few of those blokes who guided apw to a grandfinal are ready to jump ship due to dispysing this new guy. not a good start to their season and a shame for apw. hes a wet blanket.

Haven't seen the VTCA webiste, who is the recruit you are referring to? Obviously not on your christmas card list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back