Watson - Love him or hate him?

Re: Watson - Love him or hate him?

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386351 said:
I still reckon seeing KP get out is better.

Difference is.. Watson actually plays decent cricket shots and is therefore screwing up something decent :/

Im quite happy for him to get out in the 90's every innings he bats, we'll win more games then we lose.

Come on, do you honestly think it isn't funny to see KP get out, the guy thinks his the greatest cricketer to ever set foot on a field. Seeing him run himself out in South Africa was a classic, not least because half way down the pitch he looked at Trott as if to say "sacrifice yourself" but instead KP just kept running.

I never liked selfish cricketers when I played the game so why would I like them now. In my mind KP is a selfish cricketer who plays it primarily for the pursuit of individual greatness rather than team success.

Mousey;386291 said:
The bloke isn't allowed to show emotion?

Sure, but it's how he does it. There are times when you need to show a stiff upper lip and get on with it, or to pull your head in and maintain some dignity. There are times when you should think beyond the "me/now".

eddiesmith;386306 said:
99% of people watching were spewing :D

One of the more lamentable moments in Test cricket.

Mind you, he had to break through sooner or later. It would have been fun to watch the torment continue but it was becoming more of an issue than the contest between the teams.

The other day I swear I saw a player by the name of C.Rogers do an interview with a Bushranger singlet on.. spotted geek that can't get a go skillwise at international level or just a complete tool?

Didn't see the interview. Fair chance he looked a bit silly. Depends on the context though - maybe he was at training. One thing you have clarified for us though: he was not representing his country on the international stage.

By the way, what do you mean can't get a game "skillwise"? He can only put the runs on the board, and you can't take that away from him.

SS' Watson hatred shines through once again. I can tell you I've worn singlets, thongs and shorts when I go out to shake the oppositions hands, I don't think they'd take it as being cocky.

breeno;386524 said:
SS' Watson hatred shines through once again. I can tell you I've worn singlets, thongs and shorts when I go out to shake the oppositions hands, I don't think they'd take it as being cocky.

PLaying d grade club level vs international level. bit of a difference :eek:

D.K;386529 said:

Actually played my fair share of games in the reserves and one at the top, but thanks for the sneaky insult. :p

It shouldn't make a difference, when it's hot, I wear singlets. When it's hot people like to wear less restricting clothes. Would you blame him if he was in a jumper and it was freezing?

breeno;386559 said:
Actually played my fair share of games in the reserves and one at the top, but thanks for the sneaky insult. :p

It shouldn't make a difference, when it's hot, I wear singlets. When it's hot people like to wear less restricting clothes. Would you blame him if he was in a jumper and it was freezing?

I really think there has been WAY too much read into this, I'm sure there are some people giggling out there at the idea that we are even discussing this.

But the thing is, when I first saw it, the rest of the team were in either their playing uniform or their representative uniform to come out and shake hands. Watson was the only one in his training uniform. He was probably wearing this for comfort, as you say Breeno, but he probably should have just chucked on a shirt to go out and show his respects to their game just played. Australia is one of not many countries that singlets are very acceptable, but they still show a little bit of tardiness, you are either showing off your guns or you are a bogan (stereotype). He should have conformed with his team and shown that respect to the opposition.

Sober Symonds;386514 said:
Didn't see the interview. Fair chance he looked a bit silly. Depends on the context though - maybe he was at training. One thing you have clarified for us though: he was not representing his country on the international stage.

By the way, what do you mean can't get a game "skillwise"? He can only put the runs on the board, and you can't take that away from him.
If it was at the one day game then he wasnt even playing and had been out having a hit in the nets

breeno;386524 said:

FFS, I was just pointing out as an aside that I thought it looked a bit tacky. I'm not calling for the ICC to step in over it.

Yes, you know I don't like him. That's what this thread is for, isn't it? Strangely enough, there's not one like this for Mitch Johnson, Marcus North, Brad Haddin, or anyone else. Only widespread dislike for SW could sustain 8+ pages of such plop.

D.K;386529 said:

Precisely.

Although Boris and I disagree on a multitude of issues, his comments summed it up wonderfully well. Credit where it's due - good post.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386619 said:
I still think that the main reason people dislike Watson is because his a good looking guy.

nah sorry mate. I think its the arrogance.
That and the fact that he's actually scoring runs and taking wickets! that sort of stuff is bound to make us poms hate him!

I still think that the main reason people dislike Watson is because his a good looking guy.

I think the main thing that annoys everyone is that he is a pretty boy, arrogant prick - but the main hatred of him stems from the jealousy that a pretty boy is actually doing alright.

Is he? I always thought he looked like a try-hard, but I'll take your word for it. Not something I've been concerned with. Perhaps I may have taken a bit of pity if he looked like a cross between Peter Siddle and Dom Thornley, but it seriously didn't feature in my opinions of the man.

There are many reasons. I'm not that shallow:D His body language/conduct is what attracts most chagrin, I'm just re-hashing old ground.

Sober Symonds;386737 said:
Is he? I always thought he looked like a try-hard, but I'll take your word for it. Not something I've been concerned with. Perhaps I may have taken a bit of pity if he looked like a cross between Peter Siddle and Dom Thornley, but it seriously didn't feature in my opinions of the man.

There are many reasons. I'm not that shallow:D His body language/conduct is what attracts most chagrin, I'm just re-hashing old ground.

There's an image I didn't need...

What if I threw in Doug Bollinger's hair style and Mark Cosgrove's guts?

Sorry, I'm dragging this way down.:eek:

Back