Ways to improve BigCricket...help us make the site better

Re: Ways to improve BigCricket...help us make the site better

Caesar;393259 said:
Splitting them would reduce traffic even further.

I understand that, but take the thread I created on Pakistan cricket. I don't want to post that on a board pretty much dedicated to South Africa and sometimes India that nobody looks on.

I think if the site wants more international members then there has to be some effort to move away from just an "Australia" board and an "England" board.

It's more specific than posting it on the general international board. Given the traffic that the Rest Of The World forum currently gets it's hard to justify splitting it any further.

If the SA and India threads were burying everything else then I would see your point, but they're not. The reason that England and Australia are the only counties with their own forums is because they're the only countries that need them.

Caesar;393278 said:
It's more specific than posting it on the general international board. Given the traffic that the Rest Of The World forum currently gets it's hard to justify splitting it any further.

If the SA and India threads were burying everything else then I would see your point, but they're not. The reason that England and Australia are the only counties with their own forums is because they're the only countries that need them.

Plus it is questionable whether England deserves its own forum.

I understand the less traffic and the lack of need for it, but how can you attract a South African to the site when their board has every other country in the world with it on there?

Eventually wouldn't mind seeing the subcontinent get its own board.

Boris;393434 said:
I understand the less traffic and the lack of need for it, but how can you attract a South African to the site when their board has every other country in the world with it on there?

Regardless of whether there is a 'board' for them they won't come unless there are already people talking about the topic. We can give them a board but unless there are existing members to post and populate the area it is unlikely that others will join in.

mas cambios;393585 said:
Regardless of whether there is a 'board' for them they won't come unless there are already people talking about the topic. We can give them a board but unless there are existing members to post and populate the area it is unlikely that others will join in.

That makes sense.

Doesn't really concern me anyway, just a thought I had.

I may change the layout slightly later this year but it is a bit of a catch 22 situation.

I noticed a lot of teams of the decade/teams of all time threads starting(some my fault) and wondered if there could/should be a sub-section for all team selection threads?

brickwaller99;397865 said:
I noticed a lot of teams of the decade/teams of all time threads starting(some my fault) and wondered if there could/should be a sub-section for all team selection threads?

Will look at the situation, although a sub forum is unlikely to be created.

Matt2010;408676 said:
A thank button allow us to thank posts without detailed replies

You can use the reputation button to do pretty much the same thing. Just click
reputation.gif
and enter your message.

What I don't understand is - the spin forums with all their threads in the past have had a fair few people contributing to the discussions and they're quite active generally. But, if you search for spin related info using Google you're almost going to find another rival forum that seems to have more members but a lot less activity within the spin forum threads. How come Google picks them up but seems to miss out on 'Us' when it's obvious that our threads are far more active and have far better content and discussions?

Just how google works. Rest of the site plays a part to some extent.

Also, lets be honest here, whilst the spin threads are great the rest of the site is dross.

Really turned into a ghost town around here lately, a bit of a worry with a World Cup being on and all. Boris seems to have completely disappeared and although almost always disagreeing with Sober Symonds he was a good poster.

Really turned into a ghost town around here lately, a bit of a worry with a World Cup being on and all. Boris seems to have completely disappeared and although almost always disagreeing with Sober Symonds he was a good poster.

Yeah - has the season finished in Australia yet, because over here we're still a couple of months away from the start, might be more traffic once the season kicks off? But realistically I reckon it's Facebook. I just looked at a students facebook account (I'm a teacher) the bloke had 1250+ friends all girls and all looking for action. Sex or cricket? I think facebook and sex possibly wins.

The site is going through a transition phase at the moment, Caesar has some things to attend to outside the site and Richard the Third has recently joined the site as an administrator.

We're working on a few things behind the scenes which we'll be loooking to start implementing once the World Cup finishes. It's hard to try and change the dynamics of the site with the biggest tournament in the game on right now so unfortunately things will have to wait for a while. After that the admin team will be making a more concerted effort to get the site back up and running again in terms of international cricket and such.

Not sure what happened to Boris, was a really good poster but I think the floods in Queensland have kept him occupied since then. Sober Symonds has always been a sporadic poster, I'm sure he'll be seen around here again soon.

Yeah - has the season finished in Australia yet, because over here we're still a couple of months away from the start, might be more traffic once the season kicks off? But realistically I reckon it's Facebook. I just looked at a students facebook account (I'm a teacher) the bloke had 1250+ friends all girls and all looking for action. Sex or cricket? I think facebook and sex possibly wins.
Interesting you bring up facebook. I don't use it all that much but while I was away from the computer for the most part for a couple of months it is so much easier to pick up on a facebook conversation in a couple of seconds and then wander off again, which was what I was doing. Got a fairly large group of friends together that all talk cricket on there, so I think that would most definitely be the biggest threat to forums in general, not least with cricket, especially when you can have group pages like Cricket Australia where complete strangers can discuss the sort of thing you'd expect in the Australia thread here, and the same with every country (although the quality posts are pretty sporadic).

Interesting you bring up facebook. I don't use it all that much but while I was away from the computer for the most part for a couple of months it is so much easier to pick up on a facebook conversation in a couple of seconds and then wander off again, which was what I was doing. Got a fairly large group of friends together that all talk cricket on there, so I think that would most definitely be the biggest threat to forums in general, not least with cricket, especially when you can have group pages like Cricket Australia where complete strangers can discuss the sort of thing you'd expect in the Australia thread here, and the same with every country (although the quality posts are pretty sporadic).

Facebook is the end of everything, why would you want to sit and talk about cricket if there was the chance that you could talk about cricket and then during the same process have girls making interesting offers constantly in some form or another? I know when I was 18 or so I know how easily I'd have been distracted by the mere chance of having the attention of a girl, so to have literally hundreds of them (as young lads seem to have these days) why on earth would you want to talk to a bunch of blokes?

Facebook is the end of everything, why would you want to sit and talk about cricket if there was the chance that you could talk about cricket and then during the same process have girls making interesting offers constantly in some form or another? I know when I was 18 or so I know how easily I'd have been distracted by the mere chance of having the attention of a girl, so to have literally hundreds of them (as young lads seem to have these days) why on earth would you want to talk to a bunch of blokes?
It's not all about the girls, Dave :D

I'm not a fan of facebook either, but it can be used as a tool for cricket, particularly in promoting the game. The best way to advertise now is to post something up on there and everybody will see it and spread it if they like it.

In particular with cricket my club has set up a facebook page onto which all updates are posted so we know exactly who is playing, who is in reserves, when games are and you can even keep track of things like your runs scored and wickets taken if you've got somebody motivated and enough people joined up on there. There are also pictures and down the track probably things like videos as well. You can often get a pretty thoughtful conversation going between club members that wouldn't normally be discussed down on the park because down there people are too busy either drinking, eating, chatting about their weekend or occasionally (very occasionally) playing cricket. Usually cricket talk is reserved only for bagging out the English team (or Australian team this year), but on facebook you can actually think about what you are going to say. It's much like a cricket forum but, like you say, you can do other things as well.

Remember, though, that MySpace was meant to be the end of all things internet-based, but it's now on the verge of being closed down. Won't be long until something better will come along and everybody will go to that. What will remain true, however, is the forums and generally you'll only get true lovers of the sport here and hence much better conversation than what you'd get on say a YouTube page (generally an argument over whether India or Pakistan are better). Facebook only lets you talk to your "friends" or everybody, and you definitely don't want to do the second.

I was going to suggest that maybe we could use facebook as more of a tool - sort of like we do YouTube - but that will never work because people don't want to give up their personal details. On facebook you can choose who sees you, forums everybody will. If you put a link to your facebook page instantly anybody anywhere can see who you are and you can't remain behind the facade of a nickname.

Back