West Indies in Australia

Re: West Indies in Australia

Well North is gone, it remains to be seen what happens now. I presume Ponting will bat after Johnson if it comes to that. Hauritz is OK.

Even if they run through our tail they'll still be chasing 350-400, and it's too much time to bat out the game. I think Australia will struggle to lose this one even if they tried to.

Johnson and Hauritz are now taking things very slowly.

Agree with you Ceasar, they won't chase it down. But they might as well try.

Agree with you Ceasar, they won't chase it down. But they might as well try.[/QUOTE]

Lets hope they do!

Great to see Benn get Haddin out!

AB1;381128 said:
Lets hope they do!

Great to see Benn get Haddin out!

I hope the Windies win this one, I was hoping they'd win the series. It doesn't appear that way though.

Haddin got his part of Benn though with the six then four.

This is interesting with Ponting coming out now. Short bowling seems to be the plan. Rarely comes off with Ponting even if he is injured.

Wow. Total collapse. Ponting's dismissal was just good bowling, but the other wickets have been very soft.

I still don't like the Windies' chances much, but they've given themselves the best shot possible after such a massive first innings capitulation. Ponting should have been more ruthless with the follow-on, particularly when he knew he wasn't fit to bat.

I reckon Bravo could be one of the world's class all rounders. Add to that his terrific fielding and cricket brain, he would be an important asset to any side.

breeno;381133 said:
I reckon Bravo could be one of the world's class all rounders. Add to that his terrific fielding and cricket brain, he would be an important asset to any side.

Agree there fully, and known that for quite a while.

disgusting celebration from Watson. Hope he gets 50% of his match fine done.

cant see the Windies getting close with the line up to come

Sarwan will have to have a serious couple of sessions with the bat

I live around 250 kms east of Perth and it's a massive storm here pissing down with rain, hopefully it stay away from the game!

Watson is an absolute disgrace to himself and his country. We don't need this sort of garbage in the game, the sooner he does his hammy or shoulder again, the better for everyone. If I was Chris Gayle, I would have decapitated him with his size 10 bat.....but the guy's got class and respects the opponent.

He's not up to it as a bowler and is a mediocre batsman, get rid of this bogan, we don't need this crap.

I hate Shane Watson with a passion and hate the fact that he is representing my country!

PS. Apologies to Chris Gayle and the West Indies cricket team on behalf of Shane Watson and the Australian Cricket team....we're not all like that.

I'm pretty sure under those dredlocks and that helmet Gayle just took one look at him and had a little giggle to himself.

Watson isn't the nicest bloke, but there is no way any batsman could take that sort of crap seriously. The only thing it would have done is cheer him up seeing the biggest teddy bear, as Greig described it, of the year.

It is shown that nothing can phase Mr Cool. He is the perfect representative of West Indian cricket, doesn't care about a single thing, doesn't move quickly but does things very fast, and stands and delivers. He is like a number 11 batsman that can hit the ball back over you head 6 times in a row for ten overs straight.

You gotta love him.

And I see Ponting is back to his old trick of putting his bowlers on high rotation when nobody's getting any wickets and he's run out of ideas. I'm not sure how he expects his bowlers to build pressure and develop partnerships when the pair changes every three overs.

Truly someone needs to give him some captaincy lessons. He's OK for the most part as the game rolls along, but whenever things stall and he needs to take some initiative to make something happen he appears completely lost.

Caesar;381214 said:
And I see Ponting is back to his old trick of putting his bowlers on high rotation when nobody's getting any wickets and he's run out of ideas. I'm not sure how he expects his bowlers to build pressure and develop partnerships when the pair changes every three overs.

Truly someone needs to give him some captaincy lessons. He's OK for the most part as the game rolls along, but whenever things stall and he needs to take some initiative to make something happen he appears completely lost.

Maybe we should get you to captain?

I have always been a big believer of rotating bowlers when a big stand is on, 3 over spells or even 2 overs. I also remember Geoff Boycott being a big fan of the same tactic.

It's one of the best tactics to use when a stand is on, breaks up the batsmen's momentum and doesn't let them get into a pattern.

molly29;381211 said:
Watson is an absolute disgrace to himself and his country. We don't need this sort of garbage in the game, the sooner he does his hammy or shoulder again, the better for everyone. If I was Chris Gayle, I would have decapitated him with his size 10 bat.....but the guy's got class and respects the opponent.

He's not up to it as a bowler and is a mediocre batsman, get rid of this bogan, we don't need this crap.

I hate Shane Watson with a passion and hate the fact that he is representing my country!

PS. Apologies to Chris Gayle and the West Indies cricket team on behalf of Shane Watson and the Australian Cricket team....we're not all like that.

Look, I don't disagree that Watson's antics were cringeworthy and uncalled for, but calling for him to get injured is a bit rich as well as saying his a 'disgrace' to himself and his country. Ponting didn't appear to impressed either and I dare say he'd have a quite word to Watson.

But lets not indulge in hyperbole.

Watson's celebration after dismissing Gayle was unsavoury. It was obvious to all that there has been niggle in this match between both sides - still that doesn't excuse that type of celebration.

With regards to Benn, if you plead not guilty and then are found guilty you are going to come a harsher penalty then what you would have got if you were found guilty. That, to me anyway, is common sense.

Benn has been treading a fine line all series, his trait of standing in the crease when Australian batsmen are taking guard, no doubt exchanging words, isn't going to win him many favours with the match referree.

Really though, the main factor behind his two game fan was probably the idiotic decision to plead not guilty, really can't understand the reasoning behind that.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;381223 said:
Maybe we should get you to captain?

I have always been a big believer of rotating bowlers when a big stand is on, 3 over spells or even 2 overs. I also remember Geoff Boycott being a big fan of the same tactic.

It's one of the best tactics to use when a stand is on, breaks up the batsmen's momentum and doesn't let them get into a pattern.
He does it all the time and it never works. He did it in England and the wickets didn't ever come until he eventually settled into two bowlers who built some pressure.

What's more, it didn't work yesterday either. The rot started with Deonarine and Bravo in quick succession. That breakthrough didn't come until Ponting put Watson and Johnson together and left them there for an extended period.

I take it you never bowled when you played? Swapping bowlers around a lot sounds like a good tactic if you're not a bowler. The reality is that comparatively few wickets fall in the first 1 or 2 overs of a bowler's spell - you need time to build pressure, and test the batsmen.

Abrupt bowling changes can sometimes be inspired, but they need to be used sparingly in order to be effective. Not letting any of your bowlers get set or develop a partnership with the man at the other end is just going to do damage to your cause if the batsmen are already set and comfortable.

Back