West Indies in Australia

Re: West Indies in Australia

Watson: I was provoked
Cricket Australia > Latest News > News
"I'm not embarrassed. I am very passionate in the way I play. There's no doubt that what did happen is raw emotion. Because of the situation and the build-up that was there, but I'm not embarrassed," Watson said on Tuesday.

Shut up, just shut up you preening little girl. If you're not embarrassed by that display than you have absolutely no shame whatsoever.

I like Gayle's comments better. Saying he has 'no higher expectation of him to do that' and that he is a 'very passionate player, perhaps stepping over the line a little' in his calm and collected West Indian accent, not flustered whatsoever.

As the articles say, I think Watson forgot that in the future he will very likely be bowling to Gayle again. Would love to see the distance record for a six be beaten!

The West Indies begin their limited overs part of the tour on Feb 4 with a match against the Prime Ministers XI, a pretty good side this year, other than the hack of a captain the rest of the side really stands out as a superb side, I just cant put my finger on what it is about the rest of the squad :)

The Prime Minister's XI team: Matthew Hayden (C) George Bailey (TAS), Tom Cooper (SA), Travis Birt (Tas), Mitchell Marsh (WA), Tim Paine (Tas), Jon Holland (Vic), Ben Oakley (ACT), James Pattinson (Vic), John Hastings (Vic), Peter George (SA). 12th man: Jordan McLennan (ACT).

http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvwi09/content/story/444977.html
West Indies will be missing a group of key men to injury for their tour to Australia next month, with Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Ramnaresh Sarwan among the major omissions. The experienced batsmen, who were part of the 2-0 Test loss late last year, will be joined at home by Adrian Barath, Daren Bravo, Jerome Taylor and Fidel Edwards.

Sulieman Benn, who was suspended for two ODIs for an incident in the Perth Test, is also not part of the trip due to injury, leaving Chris Gayle to lead a patched-up squad of 15. "We are missing some key players, but this is an opportunity for other players to re-establish themselves," Clyde Butts, the chairman of selectors, said.

West Indies squad: Chris Gayle (capt), Travis Dowlin, Runako Morton, Dwayne Bravo, Narsingh Deonarine, Brendan Nash, Kieron Pollard, Dwayne Smith, Denesh Ramdin (wk), Darren Sammy, Lendl Simmons, Nikita Miller, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Gavin Tonge.

Itinerary
February 4, tour game v Prime Minister's XI, Canberra
February 7, 1st ODI, Melbourne
February 9, 2nd ODI, Adelaide
February 12, 3rd ODI, Sydney
February 14, 4th ODI, Brisbane
February 19, 5th ODI, Melbourne
February 21, 1st T20, Hobart
February 23, 2nd T20, Sydney

Too bad Australia's ODI side is better than the Test side, because the Windies have a very good side there, unfortunate that the Australian side would win a World Cup as it is now.

Boris;385181 said:
Too bad Australia's ODI side is better than the Test side, because the Windies have a very good side there, unfortunate that the Australian side would win a World Cup as it is now.
I dont know, I think thats a very poor West Indies side and I couldnt see them even challenging Australia A

The West Indies are often hit by injury, I suppose it must have something to do with the lack of money and probably a lack of decent training and fitness setups in the Carribean

eddiesmith;385186 said:
I dont know, I think thats a very poor West Indies side and I couldnt see them even challenging Australia A

The West Indies are often hit by injury, I suppose it must have something to do with the lack of money and probably a lack of decent training and fitness setups in the Carribean

Yeah, you are right.

I guess I'm thinking more about the individual talents within that team. There are some players there when at their best could easily be the best in the world, it's just the teamwork that really lets the side down.

If a collapse starts then all the batsmen follow suit, there is nobody to stop them keep falling and then they hit the ground. When they struggle to lift run rates it's because they are waiting for an individual to start it off when there is no one individual to do that. When their bowling gets hammered all the bowlers automatically lose confidence and they just start bowling with no plan.

It could be because they are just too cool to be bothered. :D

The Windies has some genuine match winners in Gayle, Roach and Bravo so I guess they are more then capable of pushing Australia on their day. Still, you'd expect Australia to account for the Windies relatively comfortably.

Fidel Edwards could be included in that list of match winners as well.

It's unfortunate that all of them are are also inconsistent.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385206 said:
Yeah well Edwards isn't named in the squad is he?:eek::rolleyes:

I know, but I like him so I don't want him missing out on that list of yours ;)

Very ordinary outfit, Australia should really win the first three games and treat the rest as a blooding type thing for the World Cup. West Indies' batting is fairly weak with the exception of Dowlin, Bravo and Gayle and Pollard can hit a few down the order. Other than those guys they will struggle to score runs.

Bowling department looks okay with Tonge and Roach there, Miller is a reasonable spinner plus there's Sammy and Bravo to bowl some overs.

Yeah that squad of theirs is pretty terrible. If Gayle doesn't score a third of their runs I'll go he. How they go will be more or less down to him, with the odd cameo from Bravo & Pollard. Roach will also have his moments but it's not enough when you're competing against such well-drilled outfits as Australia are.

This Windies team goes one of two ways. They either collapse for a score of 150, or they score 300 in 30 overs. If they get away they will score very big... but that chance is extremely small.

... If they still had Lara in the team ... and maybe Chanderpaul, and Sarwan. Gayle can't score all of those runs. Who else could get that many? Can't see Nash scoring heavily - let alone quickly.

Sober Symonds;385550 said:
... If they still had Lara in the team ... and maybe Chanderpaul, and Sarwan. Gayle can't score all of those runs. Who else could get that many? Can't see Nash scoring heavily - let alone quickly.

The Windies have a good T20 team, and that seems to be their ODI team as well. I think if the Windies are going to score anything, it is going to be hard and fast, explosive and unexpected. The trouble is that would only happen in 1 out of 50 games. 300 off 30 overs was an exaggeration, but what I mean is going for ten runs an over off the last 10 overs is the only way they are going to post competitive totals with that team.

eddiesmith;385171 said:
The Prime Minister's XI team: Matthew Hayden (C) George Bailey (TAS), Tom Cooper (SA), Travis Birt (Tas), Mitchell Marsh (WA), Tim Paine (Tas), Jon Holland (Vic), Ben Oakley (ACT), James Pattinson (Vic), John Hastings (Vic), Peter George (SA). 12th man: Jordan McLennan (ACT).
I'll be interested to see how this side performs, but some odd selections. Goodness knows why we need Hayden in this side.

Who is Ben Oakley? Is he just a nod to the home crowd, or is he actually decent? Who does he play for?

Surely you know that it has been a long running tradition with the Prime Minister game to play a recently retired Australian international to recognize the said player's achievements and to give them an encore performance so to speak.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386844 said:
Surely you know that it has been a long running tradition with the Prime Minister game to play a recently retired Australian international to recognize the said player's achievements and to give them an encore performance so to speak.
If by "long running tradition" you mean "since Langer got the gig last year", then sure.

Didn't realise there was a tradition of selecting a local boy, but I guess I kind of understand that.

Come off it, there has always been a long running tradition to play a retired player, not always a recently retired player, but a retired player all the same in these PM fixtures.

Geoff Lawson played in 2004 from memory, the late David Hookes had a hit in 2002/03 against England, I think Boof Lehmann had a centre wicket in 06/07.

It isn't exactly a new thing.

Back