West Indies in Australia

Re: West Indies in Australia

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386881 said:
Come off it, there has always been a long running tradition to play a retired player, not always a recently retired player, but a retired player all the same in these PM fixtures.

Geoff Lawson played in 2004 from memory, the late David Hookes had a hit in 2002/03 against England, I think Boof Lehmann had a centre wicket in 06/07.

It isn't exactly a new thing.
Well you're welcome to have a go at finding a trend for me. I can't see either Hookes or Lawson there.

Lehmann was still captaining South Australia in the Shield at the time he was selected.

Good to have experience in there to show the youngsters the way in the change rooms, especially with someone the might idolise.

Not sure Hayden is the right choice with that, but definitely will have some sort of an impact.

Australian ODI squad for first 2 matches at the MCG and Adelaide Oval

Watson, Marsh, Ponting, Clarke, White, Hussey, Haddin, Johnson, Hauritz, McKay, Bollinger, Hopes, Harris

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;387300 said:
GOod to see Hopes has been retained, his a quality utility cricketer.

Hopes isn't quality, he is 31 and it is time to move on.

He hasn't done anything of note of late or his whole career for that matter, somehow along the way he has cemented his spot with some seriously mediocre performances.

He always seems to bowl in the middle overs when most of the batsmen are content picking up 4 or 5 singles an over (ala Michael Clarke) and his batting has never been seen as a weapon.

The selectors would be better of selecting a decent bowler who can hold the bat at 8, as Hopes has shown his once-every-25-innings 50's are clearly not capable.

And, Boris if you come back with the remark: "He has only made 2 50's because he always comes in at the end of an innings" - then we should select another better bowler who can slog at the end.

Hauritz (as showed at the WACA) and Johnson are more than capable of batting inside the last 10 overs of and ODI.

I disagree strongly with that.

Hopes is a utility player, coming in at number 7 is always on a hiding to nothing.

People misunderstand what the role of a number 8 is in ODI cricket.

As Ian Chappell says, James Hopes will always give you somthing with the ball, bat or in the field.

There is no doubt James Hopes would be nervous but his bowling is tight and accurate if not always incisive, although he is capable of bagging important wickets.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;387313 said:
I disagree strongly with that.

Hopes is a utility player, coming in at number 7 is always on a hiding to nothing.

People misunderstand what the role of a number 8 is in ODI cricket.

As Ian Chappell says, James Hopes will always give you somthing with the ball, bat or in the field.

There is no doubt James Hopes would be nervous but his bowling is tight and accurate if not always incisive, although he is capable of bagging important wickets.

My scathing attack was a little harsh in hindsight, but I do stand by my point made.

There are a number of bowlers around who could bowl 10 overs in the middle of an innings for similar if not better results and a promotion of Johnson/Hauritz up the order to slot the new bowler in at 10 or 11 wouldn't take anything away from the team.

Also, there are a number of batsmen around who could bowl 6-8 overs between overs 20-40 with similar results and more importantly could bat substantially better if required at the number 7 slot. This is especially the case seeing as Watson has been bowling ok and opening the batting taking the all-rounders role in the side.

Chris Gayle went crazy against the PMs XI making 146 off 89 balls, young Victorian future superstar Alex Keath has got all 3 wickets to fall so far whilst George copped a massive batterring going for 12.33 an over

West Indies 3/255 (33 overs)
Simmons 9*
Pollard 1*
Dowlin 72
Gayle 146

Keath 3/27 (4)

thommy_rissole;387308 said:
Hopes isn't quality, he is 31 and it is time to move on.

He hasn't done anything of note of late or his whole career for that matter, somehow along the way he has cemented his spot with some seriously mediocre performances.

He always seems to bowl in the middle overs when most of the batsmen are content picking up 4 or 5 singles an over (ala Michael Clarke) and his batting has never been seen as a weapon.

The selectors would be better of selecting a decent bowler who can hold the bat at 8, as Hopes has shown his once-every-25-innings 50's are clearly not capable.

And, Boris if you come back with the remark: "He has only made 2 50's because he always comes in at the end of an innings" - then we should select another better bowler who can slog at the end.

Hauritz (as showed at the WACA) and Johnson are more than capable of batting inside the last 10 overs of and ODI.

You really must not watch cricket.

If you go past stats as anyone who watches the game should be able to do, you will see how well he has contributed to everything. I have said it over and over again, and if you don't get it, then fine, but it doesn't change it. If you have actually watched him play - which is what I base almost all of my opinions on - then you would have seen a fine cricketer.

And he is 31. So what? He hasn't had that many injury problems. He is a medium bowler. He doesn't bat for long of an innings. Therefore fitness wise he should make 37/38 should his form retain that long. That is 6 years you are wasting of what is already a fine career. I have found nobody better to replace him with.

Plus he has been a fine bowler, especially over the past two seasons. He has been up there bowling alongside Bracken and Lee and getting similar figures week in, week out. Plus he bowls the 'boring' overs in the middle where nothing happens.

If you took the time to watch the matches instead of analyse the scorecards you will see two completely different players.

thommy_rissole;387319 said:
My scathing attack was a little harsh in hindsight, but I do stand by my point made.

There are a number of bowlers around who could bowl 10 overs in the middle of an innings for similar if not better results and a promotion of Johnson/Hauritz up the order to slot the new bowler in at 10 or 11 wouldn't take anything away from the team.

Also, there are a number of batsmen around who could bowl 6-8 overs between overs 20-40 with similar results and more importantly could bat substantially better if required at the number 7 slot. This is especially the case seeing as Watson has been bowling ok and opening the batting taking the all-rounders role in the side.

Name some of these players then so we can discuss the matter.

eddiesmith;387327 said:
Chris Gayle went crazy against the PMs XI making 146 off 89 balls, young Victorian future superstar Alex Keath has got all 3 wickets to fall so far whilst George copped a massive batterring going for 12.33 an over

West Indies 3/255 (33 overs)
Simmons 9*
Pollard 1*
Dowlin 72
Gayle 146

Keath 3/27 (4)

One very high scoring game.

Very good to see Gayle in form. The crowd better brush up on their catching skills.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;387351 said:
Name some of these players then so we can discuss the matter.

Would have thought the ODI thread is the place for that. Just some advice.

Boris;387350 said:
You really must not watch cricket.

If you go past stats as anyone who watches the game should be able to do, you will see how well he has contributed to everything. I have said it over and over again, and if you don't get it, then fine, but it doesn't change it. If you have actually watched him play - which is what I base almost all of my opinions on - then you would have seen a fine cricketer.

And he is 31. So what? He hasn't had that many injury problems. He is a medium bowler. He doesn't bat for long of an innings. Therefore fitness wise he should make 37/38 should his form retain that long. That is 6 years you are wasting of what is already a fine career. I have found nobody better to replace him with.

Plus he has been a fine bowler, especially over the past two seasons. He has been up there bowling alongside Bracken and Lee and getting similar figures week in, week out. Plus he bowls the 'boring' overs in the middle where nothing happens.

If you took the time to watch the matches instead of analyse the scorecards you will see two completely different players.

NOTE: wrong forum I know.

Here you go Boris on and on again about how much cricket you watch (although sometimes you comment without watching much cricket Eg: Siddle in South Africa), but I think your XXXX Hat is to tight here and is clouding your judgement.

Batting - 50 Innings: He has predominately batted at number 7 (86% of the time) yet only averages 23 (including 6 not outs). In 50 innings only 2 50's.

Bowling - 61 Innings: He has bowled 10 overs 14 times yet has never taken more than 3 wickets in an innings. 91% of the time he is coming on either 2nd change or thereafter. He averages 6.2 overs an innings. An economy rate of under 4.5, granted that is good but it is what you expect from blokes bowling in the 'boring' overs when batsmen are content with singles.

And, I'm not sure we're talking about the same Nathan Bracken and Brett Lee here. There records are far superior than what James Hopes has ever/will ever produce. Don't throw that ridiculous argument at me again please, it is an insult to those players mentioned.

Young players who could potential get a game on State performances in recent times as replacement for James 'no' Hopes:

Bowlers - Cutting, Hastings, Rimmington, Haberfield.
Batsmen - Bailey, Birt, Christian, Warner.

Or we could even be super pro-active and bring in some very fresh talent along the lines of Mitch Marsh or Steve Smith (I'm not saying they should here, just a suggestion). We're better of getting some young talent in and seeing what they have to offer.

Watson can get through 6.2 overs an innings easily and will more than likely get better results, paving the way for another batsmen to bat at 7.
You get your 10 overs from batsmen 11, 10, 9, 8 and 1. And you also have room with Clarke, Hussey and the potential number 7 batsmen if one of your bowlers is getting stick.

On a personal note, when/if Lee, Siddle, Bracken and Hilf get fit again and look at getting back in the ODI side, I sure as hope (pardon the pun) they get rid of Hopes before McKay or Harris.

As this is the wrong forum, I will just say I will agree with you to disagree.

Hopes has been a pivitol part of the team that on many occasions has gotten very important wickets or chased down the last 15 or so runs from a last over. Those match winning performances are the ones that count.

Also a correction to your provided stats - Hopes has never scored a 50 at number 7. He has scored them both while opening, in one of the four times he has opened to my memory.

Boris;387369 said:

Hopes has been a pivitol part of the team that on many occasions has gotten very important wickets or chased down the last 15 or so runs from a last over. Those match winning performances are the ones that count.

Also a correction to your provided stats - Hopes has never scored a 50 at number 7. He has scored them both while opening, in one of the four times he has opened to my memory.
Actually both his 50's did come at no7, in his 6 innings at the top he never scored a 50 and averaged 22

Boris;387369 said:

eddiesmith;387372 said:
Actually both his 50's did come at no7, in his 6 innings at the top he never scored a 50 and averaged 22

I would like to know when he has chased down the last 15 runs in an over actually happened? I checked cricinfo but couldn't find anything :confused:

Also, I noted that he has never made a 50 opening but eddie beat me to the post. 48 being his top score.

If you're going to post something factual Bore-is, make sure that it is in fact factual.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;387454 said:
Just as a side note has anyone else had trouble getting onto big crickat lately?
The BIG group upgraded their server cluster yesterday in preparation for WC2010, but there were some complications with the DNS that delayed this site coming back online.

Back