West Indies in Australia

Re: West Indies in Australia

Hodge, Klinger, Bailey, Robinson, Jaques, Carseldine, Birt, St Smith, Da Hussey, Christian, Wade, Rogers, Warner, Hughes, Finch > Voges.

I can't believe we have him and Hopes in the same side, a sad day for Australian cricket.

Well if Hopes is going to prove my statements right lately he is going to have to perform now to get Australia somewhere. 164/5 from 42 overs.

I wonder if the Channel 9 commentators know that Harris has been a bowling all rounder all his life until he got to international level? Great performance in the last over, it's what he's reknowned for, despite the commentators thinking he's a pure number 10 batsman.

eddiesmith;388156 said:
Australia would have been better off with the 5 bowlers

C'mon 30 from a run a ball batting at 7 with 8 overs to face out?! These are the performances he puts in 8/10 matches which go unnoticed because it's not superhuman spectacular.

How often does someone like Afridi convert a big one, yet get's out a lot in single figures? Yet they are regarded as better finishers and batsmen than Hopes. He has an average of 23 that he gets damn near every game (he's not very good at getting not outs, but generally get's out in the last over, something he could work on) and puts in that consistent amount of runs.

If it was anyone else it could have been say 60 off 30, or 2 off 2, 50/50 chance. Consistency is the key to this.

Ryan Harris looked more likely to score more runs than him, he isnt vital to the side and with 4 decent batsmen in the tail they could have played the 5 bowlers

eddiesmith;388159 said:
Ryan Harris looked more likely to score more runs than him, he isnt vital to the side and with 4 decent batsmen in the tail they could have played the 5 bowlers

Sure :rolleyes:

Boris;388158 said:
C'mon 30 from a run a ball batting at 7 with 8 overs to face out?! These are the performances he puts in 8/10 matches which go unnoticed because it's not superhuman spectacular.

How often does someone like Afridi convert a big one, yet get's out a lot in single figures? Yet they are regarded as better finishers and batsmen than Hopes. He has an average of 23 that he gets damn near every game (he's not very good at getting not outs, but generally get's out in the last over, something he could work on) and puts in that consistent amount of runs.

If it was anyone else it could have been say 60 off 30, or 2 off 2, 50/50 chance. Consistency is the key to this.

Actually most times I watch Afridi he gets a start but doesn't convert it. Our tail is strong enough to do without Hopes, even though he did okay today, I don't believe we should accept mediocrity.

breeno;388164 said:
Actually most times I watch Afridi he gets a start but doesn't convert it. Our tail is strong enough to do without Hopes, even though he did okay today, I don't believe we should accept mediocrity.

Add the bowling that has a number of big names at important parts of the match?

I think it is straight unfair that a lot of people have never even noticed his part in the team. It really does astound me. He has been the guy in the team that you could say is an automatic selection and nobody has any issues with it. All of a sudden half the people hate him. I can't believe it.

Looks like it's going to be rained out.

Shame for the West Indies, they had half a chance this time round. Would have been great for the series and both teams had they won.

I still reckon Australia would have been slight favourites, that ball that reard at Gayle in the 1st over that went for 4 byes was an absolute brute of a ball. Australia would have torn the West Indies up had they not come off for rain.

The pace off the wicket would have had them in all type of trouble and combine that with a bit of movement and I reckon we would have won easily.

The game has been reduced to a 20 over game, or thereabouts, 150 odd I think is needed.

Will be a miracle if the rain stays away judging by the latest rain radar on the bom.gov.au website.

Pretty silly to even run with the game when the groundsmen knew the rain was coming, would have thought it better to just call it off earlier and not to waste everyone's time.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;388169 said:
I still reckon Australia would have been slight favourites, that ball that reard at Gayle in the 1st over that went for 4 byes was an absolute brute of a ball. Australia would have torn the West Indies up had they not come off for rain.

The pace off the wicket would have had them in all type of trouble and combine that with a bit of movement and I reckon we would have won easily.

I don't think the Windies would have made above 200 IMO.

That game would have been an interesting contest had the rain stayed away and the Windies were chasing 150 off 24 overs with 10 wickets in hand.

Shame the rain came.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;388189 said:
That game would have been an interesting contest had the rain stayed away and the Windies were chasing 150 off 24 overs with 10 wickets in hand.

Shame the rain came.

Especially when they have a very capable T20 team..

Back