West Indies in Australia

Re: West Indies in Australia

eddiesmith;376241 said:
Judging from QLD results, the Windies are that bad

They will improve you'd think. I hope they don't go back to just collapsing when the going gets tough though.

Diamonds;377078 said:
They will improve you'd think. I hope they don't go back to just collapsing when the going gets tough though.

They seemed to do the opposite with Queensland actually. The first day when batting seemed a breeze, as the Bulls showed next innings, they collapsed. On the fifth day they shone and took home a draw to what I thought was a certain win to the Bulls.

As much as eddie says any different, the Queensland bowling line up is quite the good one. They are all young, but they are the reason that Queensland have been winning the little that they have. The Bulls batting is their downside, and for them to make 600 odd quite easily shows that it seemed like the Windies bowling attack is a little poor, it isn't full strength anyway.

It was a typical QLD wicket by the looks of the scores, some life on day 1, flattens out over days 2-3, but this time it didnt break up on Day 4 obviously

Most big scores in Shield cricket occur in the 2nd and 3rd innings at the GABBA, they probably had the same sort of wicket at AB Oval

eddiesmith;377135 said:
It was a typical QLD wicket by the looks of the scores, some life on day 1, flattens out over days 2-3, but this time it didnt break up on Day 4 obviously

Most big scores in Shield cricket occur in the 2nd and 3rd innings at the GABBA, they probably had the same sort of wicket at AB Oval

The AB wicket is similar, but the first day is usually a bit easier to bat on than at the Gabba, and the breaks up as you said on day 4. Better batting pitch.

The last time Australia were defeated in a Test match at the Gabba was against the West Indies in 1988/89, Australia have won the last 5 matches at the ground.

Australia 1.21
Draw 5.90
West Indies 12.00

West Indies were paying $18 for the win late yesterday, apparently. Those are phenomenal odds for a two-horse race.

Australia won the toss and will bat. Starting XIs:

Australia
1 Simon Katich, 2 Shane Watson, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Michael Hussey, 5 Michael Clarke, 6 Marcus North, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Nathan Hauritz, 10 Peter Siddle, 11 Ben Hilfenhaus.

West Indies 1 Chris Gayle (capt), 2 Adrian Barath, 3 Travis Dowlin, 4 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 5 Dwayne Bravo, 6 Brendan Nash, 7 Denesh Ramdin (wk), 8 Jerome Taylor, 9 Sulieman Benn, 10 Ravi Rampaul, 11 Kemar Roach.

Sarwan's back injury ruled him out, Bollinger was named 12th man for Australia. Suliman Benn has his work cut out for him - I can't remember the last time the Windies played a spinner during an Australian Test tour. Not sure if it's ever happened in my lifetime.

Gawd knows with that Windies line up. A lot rests on Gayle and Chanders; Nash will also bring his usual grittiness. Think they are light on bowling though and Benn could see a fair bit of action, especially if they need to try and tie up one end.

Windies still a bit low in the betting market, Bangladesh were alot higher when they knocked off the Aussies :D

In other news, Pakistan are getting dismantled by New Zealand across the Tasman, so don't expect them to be any more competitive than the West Indies are.

eddiesmith;377329 said:
Windies still a bit low in the betting market, Bangladesh were alot higher when they knocked off the Aussies :D

The ODI in England? I remember some bloke put $50,000 on Australia to win $500 and lost :eek:

And thus begins the end of Watson's harebrained stint opening for the Test side. Time for reality to reassert itself.

"OH GOD LOOK AT HOW SOLID WATSONS TECNHIQUE IS AND HE'S SUCH A HOTTY I COULD WATCH HIM BAT ALL DAY" - Shane Watson on himself

*Gets out LBW for the 10th time in 19 hits*

First time in a while I havent bothered to watch the 1st test of the summer, saw about 3 overs all day

Nope, just had no interest whatsoever in the days play, went out and put out some fires instead

Look, if you don't have an interest in the days play, for whatever reason, why do you come in here and say your not interested.

I enjoyed the days play, unlike others, I don't believe spectators have a god-given right to watch entertaining cricket that reaches the heights.

Just adding to the large number of people who thought the day was obviously crap and this will be a shit series, hopefully Peter Siddle can do what Lee does best and rip apart a shit team and bring his average down even further :D

South Australia v Australia would be more interesting and contested

Oh and its not about entertaining cricket, its about a contest and no one believes there will be one here, its boring even if Australia smashed 500 runs in a day, its not cricket, a huge letdown following another sensational Ashes series and what have been some good series over the last 18 months involving Australia

Back