West Indies in Australia

Re: West Indies in Australia

Gayle gone, 1 for 49. Don't know what he was thinking going to the 3rd umpire on that LBW.

West Indies in real trouble at the close of play, 5 for 134.

Dowlin 40 no and Ramdin 22 no.

Hussey should take up being an all rounder, he has now gotten his career bowling average beneath that of his batting average.

Well there was exciting bits of the Test that I didn't end up watching. Good practice hit around for them.

I think Adelaide will be a closer Test though, if they pick Hilfy and Siddle to bowl there they are going to get a hit around against a half decent batting line-up that those West Indians have.

This sucks.

It's depressing to see how far the Windies have fallen. At a time when Test cricket is undergoing something of a revival in terms of competitiveness, it's depressing that they're so far behind the game. They should be up there challenging the current big four.

There looks to be some bright sparks. Barath played brilliantly to dispatch the bowlers around, who still didn't seem comfortable with their roles with Hauritz and Watson playing the biggest part in the match with some great Hilfy moments but I feel him bowling on an Adelaide road might not suit him.

I honestly didn't think West Indies were that bad. The more experienced players should be ashamed with their performances, Gayle getting out twice LBW, once not even offering a shot and then having the contempt to sit in the changerooms thinking he was robbed was pretty poor form. Chanderpaul barely fired a shot, Nash was a failure and Bravo played below his best with the bat.

The best thing to come out of the game was Barath's century and Dowlin's effort in the first innings. They've looked to uncover some reasonable talent and in Barath's case he may carve out a long career for the Windies in what will likely be a major rebuilding period for them. Other than that the Windies were poor and Australia were just too good for them, to lose inside three days is just not good enough.

Hopefully the second test will be a lot closer. The game is at the Adelaide Oval so we should see bat dominate ball here. The Windies should be able to score more runs but they may struggle with the ball with Taylor's fitness looking shaky.

What a start to Barath's career though. A century against Australia on debut, playing for an understrength side.

Either a one hit wonder or a legend in the making here. Could be the one to carry them out of this slump, if I may be so bold.

Hilfenhaus misses the 2nd test due to knee tendonitis, this is when small tears take place in the tendom due to over-use.

Bollinger comes into his place and is likely to line up in the 2nd test, I really like the look of Bollinger so it will be interesting to see how he goes - especially if he gets the ball to leave the left hander, to combination with Johnson who drifts the ball into the lefties or away from the right hander.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;378094 said:
Hilfenhaus misses the 2nd test due to knee tendonitis, this is when small tears take place in the tendom due to over-use.

Bollinger comes into his place and is likely to line up in the 2nd test, I really like the look of Bollinger so it will be interesting to see how he goes - especially if he gets the ball to leave the left hander, to combination with Johnson who drifts the ball into the lefties or away from the right hander.

Now just what was I saying about overusing the youngsters and causing deterioration in skill and motivation and/or burnout or injury?

I don't like having two lefties in the team though, just a personal preference of mine.

With Knee tendonitis it is very important to rest and stregthen the tendon once symptoms start, continued use is likely to result in a need for surgery, which is quite rare with this kind of injury.

Well it's a good chance to let someone else take his spot and not let him back in...

Boris;378049 said:
What a start to Barath's career though. A century against Australia on debut, playing for an understrength side.

Either a one hit wonder or a legend in the making here. Could be the one to carry them out of this slump, if I may be so bold.
It'll take more than one player.

Be interesting to see what happens if Bollinger comes out and takes a bag of wickets, i mean, are Siddle, Hilfenhaus and Johnson all good enough to keep their places if this happens? Hilfenhaus yes, and i think the selectors have enough faith in Johnson and Siddle to keep them in. I may be jumping to conclusions to early, but who knows :confused:

I just want to state this without an uproar again, but I can't see how Siddle's records is keeping him in the side, especially if someone like Bollinger comes in and goes really well.

Boris;378332 said:
I just want to state this without an uproar again, but I can't see how Siddle's records is keeping him in the side, especially if someone like Bollinger comes in and goes really well.
Well, we're talking in "what ifs". Personally I can't see any reason why you would pick Bollinger over Siddle at the moment - possibly if you're on a crumbling subcontinental pitch or at the SCG, that's about it.

The reality is that our bowling stocks aren't that much scratch at the moment. Siddle isn't setting the world on fire, but objectively speaking he's not that bad. I honestly haven't seen much to indicate that Bollinger would be a significant improvement.

And that's coming from a New South Welshman.

Caesar;378339 said:
Well, we're talking in "what ifs". Personally I can't see any reason why you would pick Bollinger over Siddle at the moment - possibly if you're on a crumbling subcontinental pitch or at the SCG, that's about it.

The reality is that our bowling stocks aren't that much scratch at the moment. Siddle isn't setting the world on fire, but objectively speaking he's not that bad. I honestly haven't seen much to indicate that Bollinger would be a significant improvement.

And that's coming from a New South Welshman.

I'm only saying this if Bollinger fires at home on a pitch that isn't on the Subcontinent. If he can do well on an Adelaide pitch then he might be able to coerce the selectors to pick him again.

Back