What have you seen or done recently?

looker-on

aka Thomas the Kraut
As I don't want to derail the Lounge 2 thread, I have decided to open up this new thread for reports on what we've done or seen recently. I'm going to start with the pics I'd promised to Ritchie. Future posts can be about anything, though. :thumbsu:

I'm aware that photos of a coastal scenery won't knock your socks off as most of you live by or not far away from the coastline. I don't like hilly regions but had to live there for the best part of my life. That's why I'm blissfully happy to have made the move to where I live now. Living by the sea,though, would be the icing on the cake.
Spent a few days at Luebeck Bay which was a 500 km drive (one way) from where I live and it gave me the chance to test my new car thoroughly. The weather was ideal: always sunny, not too warm, not windy - just as I like it. We rented a three-room apartment on the ground floor with
patio and lawn around it so that Sari felt like at home and I didn't need to walk her in the morning.
Perhaps not surprising but it was a kind of new experience for me that this time the difference between the lake by which I live now and this part of the Baltic Sea was not as huge any more as it used to be compared to the place where I had to live before my move to the lake.

Why Luebeck Bay? Because it is a place through which the former inner German border once extended which makes this area especially interesting to me. I like the contrast between the vibrating city of Luebeck with its many-faceted history and the calm coastal region of the eastern bay which once belonged to that 9 miles-long restricted-access protective strip secured by border troopers with powerful mobile searchlights as seen in the pic and other equipment. If I had been out of luck, I could have been one of them. There was no choice. Whenever I drive across this strip of land and pass by some still existing former watchtowers used by the 6th Border Brigade Coast I have a strange feeling and rejoice at the same time.
flw79oot1v8.jpg

There we are: me, my wife, and the dog having to follow the long list of inevitable beach rules of course and being directed to the least attractive part of the beach everywhere because of the dog. Sari enjoyed it nonetheless except the salt water.
mawdu5te840.jpg

x3csu1x3to6.jpg

vqhd6tu4ilm.jpg

viulbq0eb51.jpg

There also was a pier:
f70patd68ie.jpg

The huge posters show the last fishermen still earning a living by fishing but being doomed as "The last in their guild".

Always being protected by a lot or rules.
v3mbzjcw3ly.jpg

Tried the local beer for a change and liked it. Do you still have those flip-top bottles, too?
rv1oe5n2wfa.jpg

Contrasting spa garden and urban Hanseatic architecture. If there are some gaps to be filled with new houses, the patrician style is patterned on which I like.

olm4ntvocz2.jpg

llg0hgs7f7h.jpg

m42rn6puftz.jpg

(end of part one)

Last edited:
Cobblestone wherever you go and drive.

diqdxrwjymh.jpg

Living in an old cowshed.
759874lkeot.jpg

Marina with old fisher boats and new residences.
alj0bhwlt2q.jpg

Those houseboats are for rent: USD 2000 a week.
t99mvooqom3.jpg

I like those thatched cottages as in this hamlet here although I wouldn't want to live in them. Very British?
sswncycywuz.jpg

Town gate from the 15th century.
0xj7r4wh7yw.jpg

Took a stroll around the port and discovered the Cinderella Noel III built by Sunseeker, UK and owned by Swiss Konrad Schnyder which seems to be a bit out of place among the old fisher boats and sailing boats. She is 35m long and he bought her because his wife doesn't like sailing which is his passion. The current crew of five is too small so that he's having a 50m yacht built.
mx46mhgymgs.jpg

A sense of urbanity was also established by being exposed to English frequently:
829tizf582l.jpg

7w4fe9u9sg5.jpg

And the inevitable proof of climate-caused erosion at a cliff coast.
qh5ysp86suc.jpg

For those who are not good on foot or who have no bike.
l1xl6z8cl1t.jpg

Jogging along the beach was enjoyable:
zo4mrujaq5t.jpg

Totally different from where I do it at home:
ynunxr4u1ee.jpg

The same applies to the waves: above: sea; below: at home
r1ppkpx3nzx.jpg

b7tt0tz8vtx.jpg

and also to the beach: at home

pza2tga2a0b.jpg

PS: I was quite a bit of work to select, resize, and upload the photos onto a photo server as they can't be simply uploaded here.

Last edited:
Stunning pics Thomas 👍

I love those cottages, I'd definitely live in one 🤗
I second that Thomas but other than swimming what else did you do at the lake as those restrictions leave you with little else.
You stayed in an old cow shed.. smelly :p

I second that Thomas but other than swimming what else did you do at the lake as those restrictions leave you with little else.
You stayed in an old cow shed.. smelly :p
Thanks, the two of you. Ritchie, drawing your attention to these pics took some doing. They had been online for days.
What else we did? Well, that's only a selection of pics. It was too cold for a bathing holiday. We had a quick swim only once to refresh the feeling. We are usually very active during our holidays. We cycle a lot because that way you can see the most. And we went to various places by car. We explored the whole bay from Timmendorf Beach in the west to Wismar in the east, visited Thomas-Mann-House in Luebeck, which was a highlight.
Talking of holidays, where did you go and what did you do on your most recent trip you mentioned?

Thomas I was off line one day due to an outage by our internet carrier NBN. Had some other things to do. Try to get on here at least once a day.

I went to a hamlet south of Sydney. Beautiful spot. I took some pics but, like you, is a fiddly job transfering them from fone to computer. The place was Huskisson. I will post some general pics from there to give you and Jessica a feel for the place.

1654309360729.png 1654309162245.png 1654309475626.png
We also canoed. I have found our B&B accommodation.

1654309212737.png
A typical beach. Was getting a bit nippy tho for swimming.

Last edited:
Thomas I was off line one day due to an outage by our internet carrier NBN. Had some other things to do. Try to get on here at least once a day.

I went to a hamlet south of Sydney. Beautiful spot. I took some pics but, like you, is a fiddly job transfering them from fone to computer. The place was Huskisson. I will post some general pics from there to give you and Jessica a feel for the place.

View attachment 1487View attachment 1485View attachment 1488
We also canoed. I have found our B&B accommodation.

View attachment 1486
A typical beach. Was getting a bit nippy tho for swimming.
Thanks, mate. Beautiful spot indeed. I envy you. Which month was it again? What was the weather like? Like in the pics?

Stunning pics Richie 👍
Your country is beautiful.

I've seen many pics of the Great Barrier Reef, have you ever been snorkeling there and is there more than 1?

Thanks Jess, Thomas. We Aussies are blessed to have such a beautiful and diverse land. Just south of Huskisson is any even more picturesque spot IMO.. Jervis Bay . Just take a squizz at the turquoise water.
1654994731077.png

Attachments

• 1654994617293.png
    1654994617293.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Stunning pics Richie 👍

I've seen many pics of the Great Barrier Reef, have you ever been snorkeling there and is there more than 1?
Yes I my brother and his mate went snorkeling at Green Island (Google it) way back. Yes Jess only one Great Barrier Reef? But it is enormous, composed of over 2,900 individual reefs and 900 islands stretching for over 2,300 kilometres (1,400 m)

Last edited:
Stunning pics Richie 👍

I went snorkeling there once as a kid late 90s, coral was impressive but fish wise they all the go into hiding! There was a pretty awesome giant clam.

Maybe a bit overrated imo but I don't think we went to one of the more 'prime' locations of it at Mackay, as above it's absolutely massive. Takes a decent boat ride to get out to it as well.

Back