World Cup 2015 Format?

Nice post once again trolly3.

I personally doubt that the proposed work at Hagley Park will be finished in time. Not because of the building process but more because of the councils' bureaucratic processes haha. We shall see though.

Nice map there troll3y. Can't see JE Hands Memorial Park being used at this stage as it hasn't hosted a List A game for over two years. Warm-up games will probably be played at the WACA or at some of the surburban grounds (James Oval, Richardson Park, Lilac Hill etc) if they choose to go down that path. At a guess for the Australian games Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and Hobart will get three each minimum with Canberra to get one game and perhaps North Sydney Oval to get one also (although that ground is quite small). Alice Springs might also be a chance with the favourable weather there and the fact that an Ashes warm-up game will be held there in November.

Docklands could also get a game with remaining matches split between the major grounds. With the weather being wet in Cairns and Darwin I couldn't see either of those grounds getting any games as it is very wet up there in February/March.

Here's hoping that Eden Park isn't included, I like the ground and it has a great atmosphere with good numbers but the field is embarrassingly small for cricket.

Here's hoping that Eden Park isn't included, I like the ground and it has a great atmosphere with good numbers but the field is embarrassingly small for cricket.

It is not a good ground for cricket but you can't not play matches in our biggest city. That'd be ridiculous.

Here's the first details:

Pool A: England, Australia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, New Zealand, Qualifier 2 and Qualifier 3
Pool B: South Africa, India, Pakistan, West Indies Zimbabwe, Ireland and Qualifier 4
Venue cities: Adelaide, Auckland, Brisbane, Canberra, Christchurch, Dunedin, Napier, Nelson, Hamilton, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Wellington

First match to be played at Hagley Oval with New Zealand playing Sri Lanka. Risky much?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/current/story/656365.html

With the weather being wet in Cairns and Darwin I couldn't see either of those grounds getting any games as it is very wet up there in February/March.
aha! I didn't realise this.

It is not a good ground for cricket but you can't not play matches in our biggest city. That'd be ridiculous.
True.

First match to be played at Hagley Oval with New Zealand playing Sri Lanka. Risky much?

I know, right? The Qualifiers next January also have fixtures at Hagley Park, but there's an asterisk next to the name for all the Qualifier and Cup fixtures. I'm all for the symbolism of opening in the rebuilt city, and I'm all for taking cricket back to Christchurch, but it's pretty bold (and a bit bossy, really) to officially and prominently slate those fixtures in before all the decisions have been made.

Aside from that, the every-ground-gets-three-group-games spread is sensible and I guess not all that surprising. Saxton Oval in Nelson was the biggest surprise, and I'm still struggling to find information on the ground. How many spectators can the ground hold? I'm also a little surprised that they favoured University Oval ahead of Carisbrook in Dunedin, even though Carisbrook is no longer the favour ground of the Otago district team. It's nice that the Blackcaps are travelling to Dunedin, but hosting a World Cup game at a ground with a 6000 capacity is a bit underwhelming.

I know, right? The Qualifiers next January also have fixtures at Hagley Park, but there's an asterisk next to the name for all the Qualifier and Cup fixtures. I'm all for the symbolism of opening in the rebuilt city, and I'm all for taking cricket back to Christchurch, but it's pretty bold (and a bit bossy, really) to officially and prominently slate those fixtures in before all the decisions have been made.

Agreed. They haven't even finished building the facilities, need alone tested as an international venue.

Aside from that, the every-ground-gets-three-group-games spread is sensible and I guess not all that surprising. Saxton Oval in Nelson was the biggest surprise, and I'm still struggling to find information on the ground. How many spectators can the ground hold? I'm also a little surprised that they favoured University Oval ahead of Carisbrook in Dunedin, even though Carisbrook is no longer the favour ground of the Otago district team. It's nice that the Blackcaps are travelling to Dunedin, but hosting a World Cup game at a ground with a 6000 capacity is a bit underwhelming.

Yes, Saxton Oval was a big surprise as I'd never even heard of it before it was named haha. I would have preferred if they'd used Cobham Oval in Whangarei but I guess that's favouring the North Island too much.

The can't use Carisbrook because it's in the process of being torn down (due to Forsyth Bar for rugby and University Oval used for cricket).

Yeah. I really thought you'd want more than 6000 for a Blackcap's match although it'd be perfect for some of the associate matches.

I agree but Auckland/NZ should grow some nuts and build stands at a proper cricket ground, Eden Park was a cop out for the rugby world cup and it is for the cricket world cup as well. If only they'd built that completely new stadium that was offered to them a few years ago.

Saxton Oval will be fine as will all the small NZ grounds.

Cricket doesn't pack them in like it used to and although it would be great to have big stadiums filled to the brim what we should be showing the world is the range of great cricket grounds we have in NZ as the bulk of those watching (and paying) will do so via TV and not at the ground.

Pretty good format in my opinion although the length is a bit long at around six weeks. Good to see seven grounds in Australia getting three matches too and also the same for the New Zealand games. I think they've done a reasonable job so far.

A lot of people are complaining that the tournament is too long, but it's because of the awkward number of teams. It's not the Associates' fault, either -- it's important for the global game to have a healthy number of Associates (four, in this case) competing against several Full Members, and it's great that they're guaranteed at least six games. One can only hope that, in eight years time, the parity between the Full Members and Associates will allow for 16 competing teams in a 31-game four-groups-of-four World Cup lasting just under a month.

I like the sound of that. The ICC really need to have multiple games on one day a lot more often in this tournament. If they could have two games per day on half the of the qualifying days and one game per day on the other half it would make for a shorter format and make people a lot more happy.

The length of the tournament wouldn't bother me if they made the round robin stage more meaningful.

Pool A: England, Australia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, New Zealand, Qualifier 2 and Qualifier 3
Pool B: South Africa, India, Pakistan, West Indies Zimbabwe, Ireland and Qualifier 4
Venue cities: Adelaide, Auckland, Brisbane, Canberra, Christchurch, Dunedin, Napier, Nelson, Hamilton, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Wellington

Not that it should matter much 4 friggen teams all going through but Group B looks a fair bit stronger than A. Since Perth wont get a final I would put money on them giving us Australia v Sril Lanka in the group stage. These days it seems like SL play an ODI over here every 2nd year..

Venue for the Aus v Kiwis game will be interesting, in 92 it played over in NZ at Eden Park which NZ won.

Didn't realise the actual fixtures were out.

So Perth gets India v Associate, Australia v Associate, India v West Indies. Some great games there :rolleyes:

To be fair with the WACA being badly out of date and small I should have seen this coming. Pity that the new 65K seat Perth Stadium wont be ready until 2018+ otherwise we might have got better games. Guess I could look at saving up for a plane ticket... Maybe a holiday to New Zealand for the first time ;)

Didn't realise the actual fixtures were out.

So Perth gets India v Associate, Australia v Associate, India v West Indies. Some great games there :rolleyes:

To be fair with the WACA being badly out of date and small I should have seen this coming. Pity that the new 65K seat Perth Stadium wont be ready until 2018+ otherwise we might have got better games. Guess I could look at saving up for a plane ticket... Maybe a holiday to New Zealand for the first time ;)

I think the fact that the WACA has a capacity of only 24,500 counted against us more than the outdated nature of the ground. I don't think the WACA is that outdated anyway, the grassed areas are pretty good and there are other parts of the stadium that could use a good refurbishment. The small capacity hurt us more than anything as the ground can only bring in a certain amount of dollars whereas the other grounds are bigger and can obviously raise more revenue.

Not happy with the games though, two India games and two Associates. Talk about shafted.

I think 24.5K would also be with the temporary stands already added that they use for the Ashes. Brisbane also got a bad deal, their games are arguably worse.

Pity that the new 65K seat Perth Stadium wont be ready until 2018+ ...
WOAH! I had no idea this was happening! Very promising.

I think the fact that the WACA has a capacity of only 24,500 counted against us more than the outdated nature of the ground.
Maybe, but New Zealand will host a World Cup game at the University Oval in Dunedin, with a capacity of only 6,000.

Saxton Oval in Nelson will be hosting its first ODI in the upcoming West Indian tour of New Zealand at the end of this year. The featured comment on the Cricinfo article vouches for the quality of the redeveloped ground, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I'm half expecting one of the ODIs against India to be held in Whangarei, as I understand that the ground there is also being primed for a future Test venue.

Saxton Oval in Nelson will be hosting its first ODI in the upcoming West Indian tour of New Zealand at the end of this year. The featured comment on the Cricinfo article vouches for the quality of the redeveloped ground, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I'm half expecting one of the ODIs against India to be held in Whangarei, as I understand that the ground there is also being primed for a future Test venue.

I'd have liked to have Cobham Oval in Whangarei as a world cup venue as it's already hosted England vs a NZ eleven and I think it has a capacity of 6000. Also, Whangarei seems to have a knack of producing good cricketers and never gets big matches.

Back