World Cup 2015 Format?

I'd have liked to have Cobham Oval in Whangarei as a world cup venue as it's already hosted England vs a NZ eleven and I think it has a capacity of 6000. Also, Whangarei seems to have a knack of producing good cricketers and never gets big matches.
I watched that Eng game, the ground looks incredible and is a great case of taking tests to smaller venues where the hosting costs will be less while advertising the game in places that don't get to see too much of it. Would you rather watch a test with a packed University Oval of 8,000 or an Eden Park test match that is 90% empty? (Excusing the last test match at Eden Park which was epic). When/if the game gets really popular again then you can look at the bigger venues once more, in the meantime it should all be grassroots.

Hagley Oval development gets the go-ahead!!!

Despite the favourable ruling, World Cup games in Christchurch are still a long way from a done deal.

Edit: "No more than two fixtures exceeding 12,000 spectators may be scheduled in any three-year period" isn't ideal, but I get why there are conditions.

A further four warmup and qualifying matches are scheduled for Christchurch and nearby Lincoln.
I didn't realise they had released any details for warm-up fixtures. Sussing them out now...

Edit: It appears they've only awarded warm-up games to cities, but haven't confirmed dates or teams.

Back