Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Thanks man, Ill try that in the next few training sessions.

I bowl much faster than guy, in fact I don't think I give it much air(played too many t20s).
We lost today, I bowled 9 overs for 28 runs, 2 wickets and 1 maiden. i got their opener and best batsmen.
What I was pissed off about was that I was bought into the attack in the 31st over. They were 94 for 2 (defending 185), had to watch 31 overs of medium pacers do jack. Is this normal, wth is even the point of bringing me on after having endured death by medium pace. So pissed off.

Anyway I'm currently on nightshift (got to work right after the game) and I have a t20 game in the morning right after work and another at 1pm, I gona be knackered by tomorrows nightshift. Anyway would like an update on how you guys went for the Sunday game.

Hmm, alright then. Maybe it’s because as a Chinamen you are always angling in to the batter making it harder to drift the ball against the angle? Or do you bowl from around the wicket (or I guess over for a leftie)?

those are some solid figures, sounds like you turned the game for your team. That’s a leg spinners job. That’s rough though when it comes to the over you were brought into the attack. Usually I’m bowling by the 15th over in a one Dayer. Keep putting in the performances and I’m sure you will work your way up.

We won today - we were bowled out for 85 (missing our 3 best batsmen) and we bowled them out for 73 in response. I managed 3/20 off 9 overs, bowling two with wrong uns and one stumped with a leggy. Most of my victims were middle order batsmen. We were very lucky to win the game.

Congrats on the win, thats great figures man.
I just came back from a solo net session and I got the ball to drift only when I gave it air. But its was too much air and the ball would land on the wicket line so basically only got drift when I bowled full tosses.
I tried what you said, middle foot/brace/swivel on toe, it works. However the hip rotation is not 180 degrees. I wonder if thats because my leading foot lands past the parallel to the back foot(goes across the back foot). Why do I do that, its to land the bowl outside off to the right hander(I bowl from over for both RH/LH)

Last edited:
Congrats on the win, thats great figures man.
I just came back from a solo net session and I got the ball to drift only when I gave it air. But its was too much air and the ball would land on the wicket line so basically only got drift when I bowled full tosses.
I tried what you said, middle foot/brace/swivel on toe, it works. However the hip rotation is not 180 degrees. I wonder if thats because my leading foot lands past the parallel to the back foot(goes across the back foot). Why do I do that, its to land the bowl outside off to the right hander(I bowl from over for both RH/LH)

Yeah, also how side on are you when you are going in to bowl? That affects hip rotation as well. I’ve also found that you can’t really force hip rotation itself - you must change other aspects of your technique to get it happening.

So I did some research and might have found why my back hurts. I have attached the image to this post (the circled diagram is how I position myself). To fix this will mean I'm going to lose my outside off stump line to the right-hander, which might mean side on is not for me. I already go really close to the wicket and usually umpires during games tell me I'm blocking their view of an LBW.

Also, I've tried looking for field settings for left arm wrist spin but haven't found anything, if you guys know of any resources that can help me out I would appreciate that. I'm currently using a mirror image of the Philpot field settings to the left-hander.

Today I figured out why the RH batsmen at the club can't pick my googly because it's more of a finger spinner with a slight rotation of the wrist. It looks like it is coming out of the side of the hand like my stock ball. It doesn't have much turn but because I'm always bowling across the RH batsman, it also goes with the angle, making it look like it turns more than it actually does.
Now to the LH it slightly turns and since there is no angle to the LH it doesn't work as effective. So I use a more orthodox googly to the LH which is easier to pick.

Does anyone else have trouble bowling from an end that is up hill? I basically lose line and length when my run up is up hill...weird.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 3.18.54 pm.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 3.18.54 pm.png
    351.1 KB · Views: 6
Yeah, which one are you in the diagram? Warne was the one on the left in the incorrect section but never had any problems. Might be an individual thing.

is there any way you can send those field settings?

Huh, a lot of bowlers have two or three types of googlies nowadays, so you may be on to something there.

never really had to run up uphill.

Oh, damn. Didn’t notice the circle haha. I’m the same as the one you circled then as well. Unless I start getting pain I am gonna stick with it.

Bowled the best I have in my career yesterday in the most ideal conditions for a legspinner. Turning track, with a breeze coming from backward point to midwicket, aiding with dip and drift. Bowled 10 overs straight (the most you can bowl) for 2/9. I somehow managed to churn out five maidens.

Got the first guy out, the opener, caught on the leg side boundary sweeping a topspinner. In the same over, I bowled a wrong un to a guy who didn't pick it and tried to drive it through the covers on the up. The ball ballooned off the inside edge for a sitter to short midwicket.
Before this over (a double wicket maiden) the opposition had been cruising at 2/72 (needing 150) and ended up getting all bowled out for 98 after I got out the two set batsmen, causing a collapse.

I bowled my backspinner a fair bit, and while it didn't get a wicket it was quite effective. It would typically skid on straight, and due to the fact my other deliveries were turning big, it kept the batsmen on their toes. Looked very promising, as the batsmen were expecting it to dip but instead it carried on a bit further.

Good to finally get some reward after toiling away in the nets the past 4 weeks without a game.
Very commendable - was it videoed?

Hello everyone,
First time poster, I’m 33 yr old left arm wrist spinner. This season I decided to start cricket again at club level after a couple years of hiatus. Ive been a spinner for a while but have switched bowling type many times from medium pace to off spin to carrom bowl. A few years back I decided to just stick to wrist spin. It was only this year after reading “The art of spin” which I found thanks to these spin threads on here have I finally started to understood what I was doing with my wrist. Thanks again, it has helped me a lot.
I’m currently working on a flipper but it seems a long way off and sometimes I think it might not even be worth it. Sometimes I wish I was a right hander as my stock ball would be very dangerous going away from the batsman.
Ive read a lot of posts on the slider here and I have been bowling it like The philpott way and I notice sometimes it swings in the air, I don't think it is drift and it skids a bit before it spins. I always seem to get an inside edge with it compared to my stock ball (my stock ball, which I think I am putting more revs, weird huh).
Mostly I work on my action and concentrating in nets has really helped. My main issue right now is I guess a mental problem, I bowl with my heart out in the nets and bowl well but during the games I never give it 100% I'm afraid of leaking runs or bowling wides or being taken out of the attacked.
This Saturday is the second day of our two dayer and Im hoping I finally bring my nets form to the game. Any advice or suggestions will be welcomed and I hope to post more on here, I just wished I found this place early because the Philpott book has finally opened my mind about spin and cricket.
Whoa! Whoa! Stick with the Flipper, don't disregard it, its such a good delivery to have in your armoury I reckon. (Caveat; How many deliveries are you already bowling and using already)?

Thanks man, Ill try that in the next few training sessions.

I bowl much faster than guy, in fact I don't think I give it much air(played too many t20s).
We lost today, I bowled 9 overs for 28 runs, 2 wickets and 1 maiden. i got their opener and best batsmen.
What I was pissed off about was that I was bought into the attack in the 31st over. They were 94 for 2 (defending 185), had to watch 31 overs of medium pacers do jack. Is this normal, wth is even the point of bringing me on after having endured death by medium pace. So pissed off.

Anyway I'm currently on nightshift (got to work right after the game) and I have a t20 game in the morning right after work and another at 1pm, I gona be knackered by tomorrows nightshift. Anyway would like an update on how you guys went for the Sunday game.
Mate where you from - you in Australia as well?

So I did some research and might have found why my back hurts. I have attached the image to this post (the circled diagram is how I position myself). To fix this will mean I'm going to lose my outside off stump line to the right-hander, which might mean side on is not for me. I already go really close to the wicket and usually umpires during games tell me I'm blocking their view of an LBW.

Also, I've tried looking for field settings for left arm wrist spin but haven't found anything, if you guys know of any resources that can help me out I would appreciate that. I'm currently using a mirror image of the Philpot field settings to the left-hander.

Today I figured out why the RH batsmen at the club can't pick my googly because it's more of a finger spinner with a slight rotation of the wrist. It looks like it is coming out of the side of the hand like my stock ball. It doesn't have much turn but because I'm always bowling across the RH batsman, it also goes with the angle, making it look like it turns more than it actually does.
Now to the LH it slightly turns and since there is no angle to the LH it doesn't work as effective. So I use a more orthodox googly to the LH which is easier to pick.

Does anyone else have trouble bowling from an end that is up hill? I basically lose line and length when my run up is up hill...weird.
Just look at field settings for Right-handers and modify them? I think you'll struggle to find field settings to be honest I think if I ever go looking for them you'll generally either find ones that I've put on-line or some that have been posted by David Hinchcliffe who does know what he's talking about. I think with the field-settings, you need to have your captains support and a definite plan of how you're going to take your wickets. Helps as well if you know your teams strengths and weaknesses so you can get your best players in the right places to cover all eventualities. Do a Google search "Bowlers Union" and you'll find my blog hopefully at the top - might give you some ideas? Let me know if it comes up at the top of the page when you search using 'Bowlers union'? Ta. Update - have a look here - the website is pitchvision as he's the bloke that developed the pitch vision analysis system https://www.pitchvision.com/category/field-settings

Last edited:
Anyone see anything of Rehman Ahmed in the England v Pakistan game (3rd Test). Interesting that he's a Googly Bowler naturally and that he's had to work on his Leg-Break. I wonder if as he develops the Leg-Break he'll not be able to bowl the Googly as well? Currently his Googly turns so much more than his Leggie. Jeetan Patel is working with him and they're focusing on getting his arm lower. I'm guessing that'll be for his Leg-Break to get a lot more side-spin? No doubt later today there'll be vids of his wickets.

I bowl the slider, the stock ball, googly(a weird one and a orthodox one) and a top spinner. The top spinner is the hardest for me to bowl, its not exactly on demand. Needs more work. Yeah the flipper needs a lot of work, I need to figure out my action first atm its a higher priority.

I am in WA Australia.
I have attached the field settings I use at time and adjust it as I go, but field setting is by far my weakest attribute.
Yeah I read some of your blog before I asked the question and you are right not much comes up on google for lefties.

I’m still battling not being able to bowl at 100% rip during matches but can do it in the nets. I will get there Allah willing.

Attachments

• 6DD37DF8-50BA-417C-B6F7-70C608F444F1.jpeg
    6DD37DF8-50BA-417C-B6F7-70C608F444F1.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 3
I bowl the slider, the stock ball, googly(a weird one and a orthodox one) and a top spinner. The top spinner is the hardest for me to bowl, its not exactly on demand. Needs more work. Yeah the flipper needs a lot of work, I need to figure out my action first atm its a higher priority.

I am in WA Australia.
I have attached the field settings I use at time and adjust it as I go, but field setting is by far my weakest attribute.
Yeah I read some of your blog before I asked the question and you are right not much comes up on google for lefties.

I’m still battling not being able to bowl at 100% rip during matches but can do it in the nets. I will get there Allah willing.
I see what you've done here, this is one of Philpotts right-hander fields just flipped for you. I think what you need to do is keep in mind that you're probably bowling to right-handers much of the time and one thing I reckon will help you and your team is if you can make notes about who you play against and what their strengths and weaknesses are. If you intend to play in the same league over a series of seasons if you keep notes of where the players you play against hit the ball, you'll be able to start to figure out where your fielders need to be and where you need to bowl the ball in order to maximise your chances of taking wickets. Do you actually get to set your field, or does your captain do it for you?

So, your stock ball is a basic wrist spinner stock ball - in your case an off-break to a right-handed batter and leg-break to a Left-handed batter yeah? But you also have Wrist-spinners googly which will be a Leg-Break to a right-handed bat and off-break to a leftie? Which is your better ball?

Last edited:
Anyone see anything of Rehman Ahmed in the England v Pakistan game (3rd Test). Interesting that he's a Googly Bowler naturally and that he's had to work on his Leg-Break. I wonder if as he develops the Leg-Break he'll not be able to bowl the Googly as well? Currently his Googly turns so much more than his Leggie. Jeetan Patel is working with him and they're focusing on getting his arm lower. I'm guessing that'll be for his Leg-Break to get a lot more side-spin? No doubt later today there'll be vids of his wickets.

Yeah, I was pretty impressed by him. Looked at his wickets and it seems he can bowl a few magic bowls. Bit inaccurate though. If he can develop a good leggie he will be unstoppable.

I am in WA Australia.

Looks good, but personally I might take one of the fielders from the offside (tempting the batter into playing against the spin) and move him into a catching position on the legside.

Didn't bowl too well on the weekend - 5 overs 1/30. First over I bowled and the two batsmen at the crease were not much chop, so I got one caught and bowled with a topspinner and the other was runout in the same over. Then two first grade batsmen came to the crease and I nearly got an lbw from a nice leg spinner - although the umpire reckoned it pitched outside leg. When I bowled good lengths they struggled, apart from a few cracking shots where my execution was perfect but they were just too good. Then I got frustrated and bowled 2 full tosses an over, which were smacked. They also turned a few relatively full balls into full tosses through the use of their feet. But man, those full tosses really annoyed me.

Do you guys struggle with full tosses? If so, what do you focus on to fix the problem?

Also, my next game is end of January, so I've got a fair amount of time to come back a better player.

I see what you've done here, this is one of Philpotts right-hander fields just flipped for you. I think what you need to do is keep in mind that you're probably bowling to right-handers much of the time and one thing I reckon will help you and your team is if you can make notes about who you play against and what their strengths and weaknesses are. If you intend to play in the same league over a series of seasons if you keep notes of where the players you play against hit the ball, you'll be able to start to figure out where your fielders need to be and where you need to bowl the ball in order to maximise your chances of taking wickets. Do you actually get to set your field, or does your captain do it for you?

So, your stock ball is a basic wrist spinner stock ball - in your case an off-break to a right-handed batter and leg-break to a Left-handed batter yeah? But you also have Wrist-spinners googly which will be a Leg-Break to a right-handed bat and off-break to a leftie? Which is your better ball?

Yeah as stated early in the thread I use the mirror image of Philpot's field settings to the left hander as my field setting.
Majority of the time, the captain sets the field and in the last game I didn't even get a slip but its alright I was playing for the 6th grade dropped down from 3rd grade for no reason.
Suffice to say I didn't bowl very well my mind wasn't in it, I bowled much better in 3rd grade(we don't have a second grade, the goal is to make it to 1st grade by next season but it looks like they want everyone to be able to bat in first grade....but lets see).

My stock ball is the off break but I worked on Philpots advice and have the little break, the big break.
Since I bowled the carom variety of spin for a 2 seasons back in the day, I have trained my ring finger to be stronger so I can bowl carom bowl type deliveries with my ring finger instead of the middle finger. So that is my third for the stock ball (pure side spin from the front of the hand).

About the googly, mentioned early in the thread.
"Today I figured out why the RH batsmen at the club can't pick my googly because it's more of a finger spinner with a slight rotation of the wrist. It looks like it is coming out of the side of the hand like my stock ball. It doesn't have much turn but because I'm always bowling across the RH batsman, it also goes with the angle, making it look like it turns more than it actually does.
"

best ball, I dont really know but the one I use to get out of trouble is my googly to the right hander generally takes the pressure of me.
We are on break till the 14th so I got time to work out my action.

Last edited:
Back