Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Just some leggies here, too short for my liking. I think I may struggle a bit more with length without a batter to judge where to pitch it maybe? Do you see anything in my action causing me to drop short here/ bowl inaccurately?
View attachment Untitled.mp4
View attachment Untitled (2).mp4
Does the below drift a bit? Also, I calculated the pace on the second ball bowled in the below video (the one where I use the white ball, which I believe drifts), using this method: https://www.bigcricket.com/communit...ting-speed-of-spin-bowling-from-video.184930/
The pace comes up as 46.2mph or 74.4kph. I'm pretty happy with that to be honest, though I think bowling this pace could be what has made my accuracy a bit all over the place? I'm sure if I keep bowling this sorta pace my timing should adjust and I should be a bit more accurate. Or is it something in my action causing this innacuracy with my stock ball, the leg spinner?
View attachment Untitled (3).mp4
View attachment Untitled (5).mp4

Last edited:
Just some leggies here, too short for my liking. I think I may struggle a bit more with length without a batter to judge where to pitch it maybe? Do you see anything in my action causing me to drop short here/ bowl inaccurately?
View attachment 1613
View attachment 1614
Does the below drift a bit? Also, I calculated the pace on the second ball bowled in the below video (the one where I use the white ball, which I believe drifts), using this method: https://www.bigcricket.com/communit...ting-speed-of-spin-bowling-from-video.184930/
The pace comes up as 46.2mph or 74.4kph. I'm pretty happy with that to be honest, though I think bowling this pace could be what has made my accuracy a bit all over the place? I'm sure if I keep bowling this sorta pace my timing should adjust and I should be a bit more accurate. Or is it something in my action causing this innacuracy with my stock ball, the leg spinner?
View attachment 1615
View attachment 1616
Thats looks good, keep practicing your only going to become more accurate. Are you focusing/staring at that stump on the pitch before you bowl? Try focusing/staring at the length you want to bowl at before you start your run up and dont stop until you have completed your follow through.

Hi guys, hope your all doing well. Got a new video of my bowling today, it seems like I might have got a bit of drift on some of these deliveries. One of the best wrong un's I've ever bowled features in here as well. I seem to have a real problem pitching it too full or too short for some deliveries though, can you see anything in my action that could lead to this?

I was thinking maybe it could be because my foot is pointing straight forward in delivery stride? Is this a problem? Or am I too open chested, causing inaccuracy? What are your thoughts on this? Would I be a better bowler if side on?

View attachment 1612

judging just from that photo, it looks like your falling away and your arm is too straight, so you must get alot of top spin.

Thats looks good, keep practicing your only going to become more accurate. Are you focusing/staring at that stump on the pitch before you bowl? Try focusing/staring at the length you want to bowl at before you start your run up and dont stop until you have completed your follow through.

Yeah, I probably need to do that a bit more.

judging just from that photo, it looks like your falling away and your arm is too straight, so you must get alot of top spin.

Yeah, I do get mostly top spin. I reckon it might be worth trying to be a bit more upright and get the arm coming in a bit more roundarm. It may help my accuracy and give me a few more revs on the ball.

Side by side to Warne:
1673216907521.png 1673216933920.png

Jeez, does look like there are a few things I gotta work on. I reckon the high arm action could be causing my fingers and wrist not to be able to get around the ball consistently, therefore leading to less revs and inaccuracy. I also reckon I should be a bit more side on, allowing for more of a pivot, like Warne here. Those two things should fix me up and make me a better bowler.

Side by side to Warne:
View attachment 1617View attachment 1618

Jeez, does look like there are a few things I gotta work on. I reckon the high arm action could be causing my fingers and wrist not to be able to get around the ball consistently, therefore leading to less revs and inaccuracy. I also reckon I should be a bit more side on, allowing for more of a pivot, like Warne here. Those two things should fix me up and make me a better bowler.
Your wrist isn’t cocked is another difference between the two photos, its basically putting heaps of top spin on the ball. Maybe try pointing your front foot towards leg stump. Use your jump to be more side on, also I use my front foot to go across my back foot but Im not sure thats a recommended practice, helps me with hip rotation and to be a little side on. I practiced today, recorded some stuff but it was pretty bad quality and I was bowling like shit so Im gona ignore it due to no activity during the holiday break. I used the speed calc method you tagged, ended up with 72km/h. I honestly thought I was faster than that.

Your wrist isn’t cocked is another difference between the two photos, its basically putting heaps of top spin on the ball. Maybe try pointing your front foot towards leg stump. Use your jump to be more side on, also I use my front foot to go across my back foot but Im not sure thats a recommended practice, helps me with hip rotation and to be a little side on. I practiced today, recorded some stuff but it was pretty bad quality and I was bowling like shit so Im gona ignore it due to no activity during the holiday break. I used the speed calc method you tagged, ended up with 72km/h. I honestly thought I was faster than that.

Yeah, that’s a really good pickup. Will certainly add some revs to the ball. I’m currently working on getting side on, did a bit of practice today, but keep falling into old habits. My foot just likes to point straight forward. But when I slow it down and get nice and side on with the foot towards leg stump instead of fourth stump, the ball comes out really well. I reckon it’ll be a welcome improvement to my bowling when I get it down pat.

72kmh is decent for a club leggie, and it only takes a few adjustments/improvements to bowl the extra 10-15kmh you would probably want.

Yeah, that’s a really good pickup. Will certainly add some revs to the ball. I’m currently working on getting side on, did a bit of practice today, but keep falling into old habits. My foot just likes to point straight forward. But when I slow it down and get nice and side on with the foot towards leg stump instead of fourth stump, the ball comes out really well. I reckon it’ll be a welcome improvement to my bowling when I get it down pat.

72kmh is decent for a club leggie, and it only takes a few adjustments/improvements to bowl the extra 10-15kmh you would probably want.
Try bowling from a stand still to get the action down pat. And your leading hand try to get it to go down towards your leading thigh instead of straight down might also help with the falling away, but if you go a bit more round around that should stop the falling away completely.
I need to stop filming footage in slow mo, I think that my speed calculation was wrong because Im sure Im faster than 72kmh haha. Will try again with better footage.

Try bowling from a stand still to get the action down pat. And your leading hand try to get it to go down towards your leading thigh instead of straight down might also help with the falling away, but if you go a bit more round around that should stop the falling away completely.
I need to stop filming footage in slow mo, I think that my speed calculation was wrong because Im sure Im faster than 72kmh haha. Will try again with better footage.

Cheers, will give that a go. Yeah the footage was supposed to be at 0.25 speed for the calculation to work, was yours at that?

Didn't bowl too well on the weekend - 5 overs 1/30. First over I bowled and the two batsmen at the crease were not much chop, so I got one caught and bowled with a topspinner and the other was runout in the same over. Then two first grade batsmen came to the crease and I nearly got an lbw from a nice leg spinner - although the umpire reckoned it pitched outside leg. When I bowled good lengths they struggled, apart from a few cracking shots where my execution was perfect but they were just too good. Then I got frustrated and bowled 2 full tosses an over, which were smacked. They also turned a few relatively full balls into full tosses through the use of their feet. But man, those full tosses really annoyed me.

Do you guys struggle with full tosses? If so, what do you focus on to fix the problem?

Also, my next game is end of January, so I've got a fair amount of time to come back a better player.

I don't worry if I bowl full tosses because I'd rather bowl too full than too short. Shit happens. It's the short ones that sit up and are begging to be smacked that are more of a problem for me, but I think I can iron it out. I don't bowl many full tosses, thankfully.

At the end of the day, most of us will never get the ball to pitch on the same length all of the time due to the nature of the bowling, it's inherent in leg spin that the ball pitches in different places because the ball spins up from out of the hand and not on a downward trajectory like a pace bowler. And add to that the fact that each batsman we bowl at requires a subtle adjustment of length.

I wouldn't judge too much from those still photos, the perspective can be funny as it looks like there's a tilt in the shot. Don't be Warne, be leggy88! The videos look good mate.

I don't worry if I bowl full tosses because I'd rather bowl too full than too short. Shit happens. It's the short ones that sit up and are begging to be smacked that are more of a problem for me, but I think I can iron it out. I don't bowl many full tosses, thankfully.

At the end of the day, most of us will never get the ball to pitch on the same length all of the time due to the nature of the bowling, it's inherent in leg spin that the ball pitches in different places because the ball spins up from out of the hand and not on a downward trajectory like a pace bowler. And add to that the fact that each batsman we bowl at requires a subtle adjustment of length.

Mate, thanks for that. That mentality actually makes me feel a fair bit better about my bowling right now. Hopefully if I take this mentality into games I should be a bit more relaxed and get better results.

Mate, thanks for that. That mentality actually makes me feel a fair bit better about my bowling right now. Hopefully if I take this mentality into games I should be a bit more relaxed and get better results.

It's always a fine line, isn't it? Between wanting to get better and just enjoying it. I was pretty stressed out during my season at times as my posts on here will attest, but looking back it was also great fun.

It's always a fine line, isn't it? Between wanting to get better and just enjoying it. I was pretty stressed out during my season at times as my posts on here will attest, but looking back it was also great fun.

Very true. This is also the reason why you often bowl better after taking a wicket, confidence is high and you are feeling good. It’s all mental.

Hey guys, ive been bowling leggies for quite some time now and am going through a rough patch with my bowling. Im able to bowl really well at training and in games i freeze up. Any suggestions?

What helps me in these type of situations (though I am no expert) is just having the mentality of spinning it as hard as you can, and if it lands in the right spot, you'll get a wicket. If you don't land it, its not the biggest deal. Just relax.

Hi dylbeast11, thanks for the videos I enjoyed watching them. They look good on full screen.

I would ask, how often do you practice and for how long?

For line and length, I think the best advice is to go back to basics or shorten your run up in the nets, bowl off two steps or a standing start. Or shorten the length of the wicket and bowl over a shorter distance until you are happy with line and length, then go back to 22 yards with a standing start or short run up. Then once you are happy with that go back to your full run up and action.

View attachment 1622
View attachment 1621
Hey guys, here are a few videos of me bowling in a match over the weekend. Struggled with bowling too short and the occasional fully. And line was also down leg as seen in the videos. Any technical aspects that you can notice that may be causing this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

View attachment 1620
View attachment 1620
View attachment 1627

That looks good mate. Does it feel like the ball sticks in your fingers for the short ones and slips out for the full ones? Or do you still find the ball comes out alright from the hand for these deliveries?

Hi dylbeast11, thanks for the videos I enjoyed watching them. They look good on full screen.

I would ask, how often do you practice and for how long?

For line and length, I think the best advice is to go back to basics or shorten your run up in the nets, bowl off two steps or a standing start. Or shorten the length of the wicket and bowl over a shorter distance until you are happy with line and length, then go back to 22 yards with a standing start or short run up. Then once you are happy with that go back to your full run up and action.
I practice pretty much everyday for around 2 hrs. Thanks for the tips

Back