Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

With your Flipper start with a smaller ball, even a tennis ball to get the click with the fingers going. I'd work on it just flicking it to your other hand for a couple of weeks, it'll be all over the place initially, but you'll get there and you'll build up the muscles in your hand bit by bit. Use a small ball for most of the time. A note of warning Richie Benaud reckoned you shouldn't bowl it till your 18 because your bones or something are not ready for it. I'd just be wary and not over-do it, if it gets sore rest up for a week or so and then see how it goes. It does put a fair bit of stress on your thumb and hand.

Yeah, I've been "flipping" the ball from hand to hand for a while now - I'm at the point where I can get a lot of spin on it, I just need a way for it to come out of the hand faster. My hands are fine for now but I will keep an eye on it. Only thing is I just haven't tried applying this "flipping" over 22 yards.

Yeah, I've been "flipping" the ball from hand to hand for a while now - I'm at the point where I can get a lot of spin on it, I just need a way for it to come out of the hand faster. My hands are fine for now but I will keep an eye on it. Only thing is I just haven't tried applying this "flipping" over 22 yards.
Don't start at 22 yards - use a far shorter distance 16 yards to start off with and just get a feel for it. I think the amount of effort to get it down there at 22 yards when you're starting out will dramatically impact on any potential accuracy and you'll probably be disheartened by accuracy inconsistency. 16 yards will be a lot easier and you'll find your accuracy might be better and it'll enable you to get a feel for the bowling action. Work like that for a while and gradually extend the distance. If starts to go wrong again - go back to shorter distance and till it comes good again.

I just noticed something - I don't have a tag where I'm a 'New member' or 'Active member'. I lost the login details to my account for a couple of years and when I re-joined I was a new member again, whereas at one point I was the 3rd or 4th largest contributor to the forum. I've just noticed today I haven't got a status I'm just 'Someblokecalleddave'. I kind of like that. I wonder how that happened?

Don't start at 22 yards - use a far shorter distance 16 yards to start off with and just get a feel for it. I think the amount of effort to get it down there at 22 yards when you're starting out will dramatically impact on any potential accuracy and you'll probably be disheartened by accuracy inconsistency. 16 yards will be a lot easier and you'll find your accuracy might be better and it'll enable you to get a feel for the bowling action. Work like that for a while and gradually extend the distance. If starts to go wrong again - go back to shorter distance and till it comes good again.

Thanks, will give it a go tomorrow and see how it feels. Gonna film it and see what you think after I've had a few sessions of trying it out.

I just noticed something - I don't have a tag where I'm a 'New member' or 'Active member'. I lost the login details to my account for a couple of years and when I re-joined I was a new member again, whereas at one point I was the 3rd or 4th largest contributor to the forum. I've just noticed today I haven't got a status I'm just 'Someblokecalleddave'. I kind of like that. I wonder how that happened?
Maybe the moderators changed it as they knew you were the same guy?

How did it go?

At the start it was pretty tough to control and get it to come out right, but towards the end I got it coming out nice and fast but the accuracy was a bit off. A couple really came out well and landed on a decent length and line however, and they really showed me the potential the delivery has.

What sorta length/line are you aiming for with the flipper generally? Middle stump line and maybe a bit shorter than a usual leg spin delivery? Is that about right?

Will get to the nets again next weekend hopefully and film it.

I usually bowl good to full, erring more towards full I reckon on a middle stump line if possible. Natural variation means it's there and abouts, but the flipper brings in LBW's and the one I love... the back foot shot where they're looking to hit you into the next state and it stays low and skittles 'em! Here in the UK so few people bowl it, they don't know what they're facing and they can't make sense of it. Only once did a young bloke spot it and telling the bloke at the other end "He's bowling back-spinners". But some batters have said that it moves though the air weird. I know because of the back-spin it uses the "Magnus effect" and holds its line through the air, so if you're mixing it with leg breaks with their over-spin and dip, this ball just keeps going and keeps them on their toes. The one I'm trying to master is the really slow flipper, that looks like a looping Leggie - a moon ball, this one is so slow it slows down dramatically and the batters sometime play over the top of it and it goes on to hit the stumps or they run past it. Short balls I wouldn't intentionally bowl, but I am aware that shorter balls do the same thing as the slow one, batters run past them or miss cutting them because they keep so low.

I usually bowl good to full, erring more towards full I reckon on a middle stump line if possible. Natural variation means it's there and abouts, but the flipper brings in LBW's and the one I love... the back foot shot where they're looking to hit you into the next state and it stays low and skittles 'em! Here in the UK so few people bowl it, they don't know what they're facing and they can't make sense of it. Only once did a young bloke spot it and telling the bloke at the other end "He's bowling back-spinners". But some batters have said that it moves though the air weird. I know because of the back-spin it uses the "Magnus effect" and holds its line through the air, so if you're mixing it with leg breaks with their over-spin and dip, this ball just keeps going and keeps them on their toes. The one I'm trying to master is the really slow flipper, that looks like a looping Leggie - a moon ball, this one is so slow it slows down dramatically and the batters sometime play over the top of it and it goes on to hit the stumps or they run past it. Short balls I wouldn't intentionally bowl, but I am aware that shorter balls do the same thing as the slow one, batters run past them or miss cutting them because they keep so low.

Yes, I can imagine that the trajectory would look very different to the batsman to a leg break, so they would probably go back and then watch as the ball pitches much fuller than they think due to the backspin, and the fact they have just been facing all this topspin.

That slow flipper sounds like it could be very useful too. Do you still bowl the offspinning flipper as well by the way?

I'd assume not many people in Australia would know the flipper as well, which is handy. Never seen anyone bowl it, and you have to dig really deep through youtube to find any tutorials on it which are as easy to understand as yours. It's the same with most aspects of leg spin as well, you'll find there are tons more tutorials on offspin and fast bowling than leg spin. And when you do find a leg spin tutorial, they often don't go in depth on the flipper.

I've got one problem with the flipper however, I've found that when you hold it in your run up and delivery your grip needs to be super loose, with the ball at the edges of your fingertips for the ball to 'flick' out properly. Am I doing this right then, because I'd assume holding it like this looks weird to the batter and they may know something is up? Or should I try bowling it through a leg spinners grip? I'm holding it like you do in your tutorial.

PS: do you hold the ball cross seam or upright in these flippers?

That slow flipper sounds like it could be very useful too. Do you still bowl the offspinning flipper as well by the way? I try it every now and then as a infrequent variation, but, because I put so little work into practicing it, it's pot luck as to whether comes out right. I reckon the success rate in terms of it being a good ball is pretty much 50/50, but when it is a good ball it works well. I've taken a few good wickets with it and almost caught out so many batters, but the good ones because of the lack of pace tend to get the bat down just in time.

I'd assume not many people in Australia would know the flipper as well, which is handy. Never seen anyone bowl it, and you have to dig really deep through youtube to find any tutorials on it which are as easy to understand as yours. It's the same with most aspects of leg spin as well, you'll find there are tons more tutorials on offspin and fast bowling than leg spin. And when you do find a leg spin tutorial, they often don't go in depth on the flipper. Absolutely, I think the Flipper is a massively under-rated delivery and because of the historical context in which exists... Grimmett claiming to have worked on it for 12 years before using, Benaud 5 years I think he claims and Warne talks about working on it for years as well and then there's the whole story of how it put him out of action for a long period. All those things combined with the fact that as you say "Never seen anyone bowl it" Means no-one's ever going to teach anyone at club level to bowl it! So it's as rare as Hen's teeth. I show loads of people it and they usually try it once and say 'Nah'.
There's a good book from the 1990's 1681939261067.png with a chapter on the Flipper and the bloke who writes the book has a go at with some success (basic versions), but he goes on to say that he doesn't understand why medium pace bowlers and even medium fast bowlers don't try it - as like me, he reckons there's something to gain from being able to bowl it.

I've got one problem with the flipper however, I've found that when you hold it in your run up and delivery your grip needs to be super loose, with the ball at the edges of your fingertips for the ball to 'flick' out properly. Am I doing this right then, because I'd assume holding it like this looks weird to the batter and they may know something is up? Or should I try bowling it through a leg spinners grip? I'm holding it like you do in your tutorial.
Being so obscure, I don't think you can say one way or the other, I think it's a case of practicing enough to make it work for you. I've only ever had one person who could pick the balls out of my hand and he was another Leggie that was a good batter and because he was a leggie - he knew what my conventional deliveries were and could pick them - but would also be able to see when it was the Flipper - he was good, he'd call them out of the hand in his trigger action. "Looks weird to the batter" is perfect. As Warne says you want them focused on what you're doing rather than on their batting! I think if you work so intently on it trying to make it look like leg-break you'll be in Grimmett mode - you'll be practicing for years and years!

PS: do you hold the ball cross seam or upright in these flippers?
Mostly I bowl with a mixed or cross seam, I use to bowl it with the upright seam like the Warne and Jenner demo's, but I think in this book Wilkins suggests using the crossed and mixed seam approach and for me it works. I now find if I try and bowl with an upright seam I'm less consistent for some reason and it feels odd - but again, it's up to you to try it and see what works for you. I used to notice the up-right seamed ball swung early in certain atmospheric conditions and swung a lot. The current flippers I don't notice then doing anything in the air, but I've had batters say it 'Deviates' through the air and is tricky to play.

Mostly I bowl with a mixed or cross seam, I use to bowl it with the upright seam like the Warne and Jenner demo's, but I think in this book Wilkins suggests using the crossed and mixed seam approach and for me it works. I now find if I try and bowl with an upright seam I'm less consistent for some reason and it feels odd - but again, it's up to you to try it and see what works for you. I used to notice the up-right seamed ball swung early in certain atmospheric conditions and swung a lot. The current flippers I don't notice then doing anything in the air, but I've had batters say it 'Deviates' through the air and is tricky to play.

Appreciate the in-depth response. Will probably keep the off spinning flipper as something that I may try after a couple more years of bowling. Doesn't seem that important. I think it would be a lot of work for something that wouldn't work as well as a wrong'un - the only advantage the offspinning flipper haves over the googly is the fact it is unique and unknown.

Yes, I will probably see if I can get the book. Sounds like a good read. Also recently ordered the Art of Leg Spin Bowling by Philpott, so that should help me too.

I think you're right about the flipper, if it looks weird to the batsmen then that must be good! Will continue trying to bowl it undisguised then. Noone will probably know what it is anyhow 😆 .

So you reckon bowling with the cross seam for the flippers just comes out of the hand better than the upright seam? With more backspin or pace? Or just more control? Will send a couple videos this weekend of some leggies and flippers (fingers crossed for good weather), cross seam and upright seam. Should be interesting to see what the flippers look like from a batsman's point of view.

Also, for my traditional leg break I have made a few small changes in my technique which I hope to consolidate over the next 6 or so months till the season. I am trying to pivot more, and basically follow some technique points from this video:
Hopefully this will give me more spin and accuracy.

I also found that in that video, I am making the mistake shown at 8:28 which is probably the reason why I feel rushed, and the ball slips short with little spin often. Looking to remedy this and the changes have looked good so far from a standing start in my backyard at least.

Appreciate the in-depth response. Will probably keep the off spinning flipper as something that I may try after a couple more years of bowling. Doesn't seem that important. I think it would be a lot of work for something that wouldn't work as well as a wrong'un - the only advantage the offspinning flipper haves over the googly is the fact it is unique and unknown.

Yes, I will probably see if I can get the book. Sounds like a good read. Also recently ordered the Art of Leg Spin Bowling by Philpott, so that should help me too.

I think you're right about the flipper, if it looks weird to the batsmen then that must be good! Will continue trying to bowl it undisguised then. Noone will probably know what it is anyhow 😆 .

So you reckon bowling with the cross seam for the flippers just comes out of the hand better than the upright seam? With more backspin or pace? Or just more control? Will send a couple videos this weekend of some leggies and flippers (fingers crossed for good weather), cross seam and upright seam. Should be interesting to see what the flippers look like from a batsman's point of view.

Also, for my traditional leg break I have made a few small changes in my technique which I hope to consolidate over the next 6 or so months till the season. I am trying to pivot more, and basically follow some technique points from this video:

I also found that in that video, I am making the mistake shown at 8:28 which is probably the reason why I feel rushed, and the ball slips short with little spin often. Looking to remedy this and the changes have looked good so far from a standing start in my backyard at least.

For me, after years of never even considering a mixed or cross seam approach and always bowling with the seam upright - the change was easy and I also think because your fingers have more of a definite contact with the ball you get (1) More spin and (2) Less wayward balls. When I used to bowl exclusively with the fingers on the seam, I used to do this thing where in the effort really flick the ball my fingers used seemingly slip off the seam and almost do something akin to dislocating my knuckle joint - never actually did, but it felt horrible and as though you don't want to be doing it on a regular basis! Since using the new method (Cross or mixed) with a lot more positive contact on the ball that hasn't happened.

I use my pivot as a way of varying the spin, I've not looked at the video yet, so I'm guessing it mentions the pivot? I've seen other videos previously and read stuff about how important the pivot is and I know that in my normal stock delivery I don't pivot that much. There used to be a woman on here Liz Ward and a bloke Tony Mowles who were advocates of strength/condition and bio-mechanics and they spent a lot of time and effort working with me trying to perfect my bowling action. I've got a feeling that they also used to try and reinforce the value of getting up on the toes in the pivot. Tony video'd me once at nets and was getting me to do it and I think we noticed that when I pivoted better the ball turned far more. Since then I've always had it in the back of my mind that if I want more action on the ball and get it to turn off the wicket more I can get right up on the toes and that makes a significant difference, so it's used as a variation. I can't do it a lot because I don't train enough and do it enough for my calf muscles to be able to handle it. I'll look at the video now.

Just watched the vid. I have seen it before and personally I think Stuart MacGills video is a better one to look at especially with regards the hip drive. MacGill advocates a very straight approach to the crease and the hip drive is more of a forward, up over and through as opposed to an action that goes around the pivot foot. Have a look and compare it. It might make sense to you and it might be the difference you're looking for?

For me, after years of never even considering a mixed or cross seam approach and always bowling with the seam upright - the change was easy and I also think because your fingers have more of a definite contact with the ball you get (1) More spin and (2) Less wayward balls. When I used to bowl exclusively with the fingers on the seam, I used to do this thing where in the effort really flick the ball my fingers used seemingly slip off the seam and almost do something akin to dislocating my knuckle joint - never actually did, but it felt horrible and as though you don't want to be doing it on a regular basis! Since using the new method (Cross or mixed) with a lot more positive contact on the ball that hasn't happened.

I use my pivot as a way of varying the spin, I've not looked at the video yet, so I'm guessing it mentions the pivot? I've seen other videos previously and read stuff about how important the pivot is and I know that in my normal stock delivery I don't pivot that much. There used to be a woman on here Liz Ward and a bloke Tony Mowles who were advocates of strength/condition and bio-mechanics and they spent a lot of time and effort working with me trying to perfect my bowling action. I've got a feeling that they also used to try and reinforce the value of getting up on the toes in the pivot. Tony video'd me once at nets and was getting me to do it and I think we noticed that when I pivoted better the ball turned far more. Since then I've always had it in the back of my mind that if I want more action on the ball and get it to turn off the wicket more I can get right up on the toes and that makes a significant difference, so it's used as a variation. I can't do it a lot because I don't train enough and do it enough for my calf muscles to be able to handle it. I'll look at the video now.

Hmm, I guess the fact that the flipper is all about the fingers means that the part of the ball which they touch plays a big role. Will definitely give both approaches a go, as I like the idea of the mixed seam one maybe coming out faster/more accurate/more spin, and the upright seam one getting some swing which would be cool. That knuckle thing did not sound pleasant, good that you found a way around it.

I think the pivot is crucial, whenever I get it right I always feel like the ball comes out of the hand well, and it always ends up on a good length and line. I also think that the pivot is the missing piece for my bowling at the moment, it is really inconsistent which is causing me to bowl short balls and full tosses with little spin.

That Macgill video is gold. If you listen closely you can really hear the snap and fizz he makes when the ball leaves his hand. Some say he actually got more revs than Warne, but with more overspin, which I certainly believe after watching some of his videos. Will give Macgill's method a try. Hopefully it fixes my problems with the pivot.

Hmm, I guess the fact that the flipper is all about the fingers means that the part of the ball which they touch plays a big role. Will definitely give both approaches a go, as I like the idea of the mixed seam one maybe coming out faster/more accurate/more spin, and the upright seam one getting some swing which would be cool. That knuckle thing did not sound pleasant, good that you found a way around it.

I think the pivot is crucial, whenever I get it right I always feel like the ball comes out of the hand well, and it always ends up on a good length and line. I also think that the pivot is the missing piece for my bowling at the moment, it is really inconsistent which is causing me to bowl short balls and full tosses with little spin.

That Macgill video is gold. If you listen closely you can really hear the snap and fizz he makes when the ball leaves his hand. Some say he actually got more revs than Warne, but with more overspin, which I certainly believe after watching some of his videos. Will give Macgill's method a try. Hopefully it fixes my problems with the pivot.
Yeah I really rate MacGill, he was a superb bowler, potentially better than Warne in so many ways. Yeah give it a go, see if it helps. I think in the longer run you'll find the right way for yourself, but it'll be potentially as a result of taking on board approaches used by others. I don't think there's a lot of value trying to replicate everything anyone does, but nuggets of info tried and implemented sometime reap rewards or lead to realisations and epiphanies.

Got my first game tomorrow - it's gonna be freezing 10-13 degrees, cloudy with a breeze with possible rain. Because the weather here has been so bad I feel half baked with regards fitness. Upper body's going to be okay, i reckon legs and stamina will be the issue. We always seem to get this friendly fixture as the first game and I can't remember beating them once, they always have 3-4 good and aggressive batters. It's a 3rd XI team I'm in, so might be fairy even. Looking forward to it other than the cold! MoMole MoMole have you got a game tomorrow?

Yeah I really rate MacGill, he was a superb bowler, potentially better than Warne in so many ways. Yeah give it a go, see if it helps. I think in the longer run you'll find the right way for yourself, but it'll be potentially as a result of taking on board approaches used by others. I don't think there's a lot of value trying to replicate everything anyone does, but nuggets of info tried and implemented sometime reap rewards or lead to realisations and epiphanies.

Absolutely, just take a little bit from everyone as long as it works for you. Good luck for your game tomorrow.

Hey all,
First time poster (only discovered the forum a little while ago and I've learned so much from it!)
One of the lads turned up to winter nets with a back strain so he recorded our nets session and I finally got some good footage against batsmen. I've included a bunch of different deliveries (some good some bad). Is there anything I am doing wrong/could do better? Am I bowling too slow?

This will be my first season playing in about 16 years so I've been pretty nervous. I've been bowling a lot in my back garden over the winter and I'm feeling really confident about my stock leg break. I don't have any variations yet, pretty much spent six months just trying to get a consistent leg break. I reckon I'm not at the point where I might bowl a wide down leg once every now and again and a full toss is much rarer.

My concern is whether my bowling at home and nets performance will translate to an actual game. A big unknown for me is that I get a lot of turn and bounce on every surface I've bowled on, but since I haven't bowled on an actual wicket there's a big question around whether I'll get turn and bounce like I'm used to. My stock ball tends to be on leg stump (or just outside) and just short enough I can't be swept. I find this cramps batsmen up and is difficult to get away but my not be a line that can produce wickets.

I'm more worried about bowling to good top order batsmen than anything else. I've had a lot of success against your average clubbies in the net and I've been using the opportunity to work more on making adjustments and trying to outthink the batsmen but I worry about getting smashed by an actual good batsman and not having an answer. For context my club is pretty bad and I think we play in the lowest division (maybe div 8?) and last year they finished second from the bottom of the table.

Appreciate any feedback and happy to answer questions. :thumbsu:

Looks great to me. Bowl like that in matches, you'll get wickets for sure.

I played my first game of the season today, a 35 over friendly against a good team who usually beat us and they did again today but on a personal level it's fair to say it went well. I bowled 3.3 overs and got 5/16 and will get the match ball presented at the end of the season. I came on for the 28th over, I think they were about 110-4 or something. First ball I cleaned bowled a right hander with a stock leg break. Then this tall guy came on, another right hander. I recognised him from the away match last season because he hit two sixes off the last two balls of my third over and I was taken off. This was playing on my mind a bit. I bowled a no ball to him first ball then remarked my run up and started about a foot back. I then bowled two hideous full tosses and he dispatched both for four. At this point he had hit me for 20 runs from four balls over the course of two seasons. I gave myself a little talking to, I was pissed off and just told myself to bowl a normal leg break. I finally managed a good delivery against him and it bowled him off stump. I think the soft ground was helping me, deliveries which would turn and bounce away to slips in the nets were turning less and staying lower and hitting off stump. After that second wicket I felt good.

Next over there was a right hander on strike for a few deliveries, I was into the tail now. He had faced a few dot ball leg breaks so I decided it was time to deploy the flipper. It didn't come out perfectly but it was good enough, it was angled and stayed very low and hit the bottom of leg stump.

Third over the captain was on strike, he had been there for a while and charged at me from the first ball I bowled at him. He played forward to one, missed and was stumped.

Fourth over a tail ender was on strike and dollied a catch to a fielder close in. With the bat I faced one ball and got 1 not out, I'll take that. We lost by about 25 runs or something.

I played my first game of the season today, a 35 over friendly against a good team who usually beat us and they did again today but on a personal level it's fair to say it went well. I bowled 3.3 overs and got 5/16 and will get the match ball presented at the end of the season. I came on for the 28th over, I think they were about 110-4 or something. First ball I cleaned bowled a right hander with a stock leg break. Then this tall guy came on, another right hander. I recognised him from the away match last season because he hit two sixes off the last two balls of my third over and I was taken off. This was playing on my mind a bit. I bowled a no ball to him first ball then remarked my run up and started about a foot back. I then bowled two hideous full tosses and he dispatched both for four. At this point he had hit me for 20 runs from four balls over the course of two seasons. I gave myself a little talking to, I was pissed off and just told myself to bowl a normal leg break. I finally managed a good delivery against him and it bowled him off stump. I think the soft ground was helping me, deliveries which would turn and bounce away to slips in the nets were turning less and staying lower and hitting off stump. After that second wicket I felt good.

Next over there was a right hander on strike for a few deliveries, I was into the tail now. He had faced a few dot ball leg breaks so I decided it was time to deploy the flipper. It didn't come out perfectly but it was good enough, it was angled and stayed very low and hit the bottom of leg stump.

Third over the captain was on strike, he had been there for a while and charged at me from the first ball I bowled at him. He played forward to one, missed and was stumped.

Fourth over a tail ender was on strike and dollied a catch to a fielder close in. With the bat I faced one ball and got 1 not out, I'll take that. We lost by about 25 runs or something.
5 for 16 - superb start Darth! That included a stumping of a bloke that you needed as well. Love stumpings me! Wish I had keepers that could pull em off!

Back