Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

5 for 16 - superb start Darth! That included a stumping of a bloke that you needed as well. Love stumpings me! Wish I had keepers that could pull em off!

Your bowling looks quicker than mine so I think stumpings would be more difficult for keepers. With my bowling being a bit slower I find that keepers have time to react. I've had a few stumpings and some decent catches behind the wicket. They've missed stumpings and dropped their fair share too, though.

Thanks mate, I'm happy with the start to the season. The flipper was the most pleasing wicket. I bowled one more and mistimed it, it went for a wide down the off side.

Your bowling looks quicker than mine so I think stumpings would be more difficult for keepers. With my bowling being a bit slower I find that keepers have time to react. I've had a few stumpings and some decent catches behind the wicket. They've missed stumpings and dropped their fair share too, though.

Thanks mate, I'm happy with the start to the season. The flipper was the most pleasing wicket. I bowled one more and mistimed it, it went for a wide down the off side.
No worries mate, good to hear another wrist spinner doing well. I think your basing my bowling off my youtube vids? I come in off 2-3 steps these days and rely more on flight and guile. Last year I just couldn't get a run-up together, I could do it in the field practicing perfectly. Draw some lines on the ground and have to work with them and it all went to pieces - stuttering and all sorts it was embarrassing! I just vary the pace, flight, length, line and delivery - mixing Leg-Breaks, Flippers and Top-spinners. I think since starting to draw the wagon wheels, I've had far more of an idea of how things will pan out when I'm bowling and I've been able to set fields with more confidence or bowl to the fields the captain set. That seems to have given me more confidence in my bowling and captains seem to have more confidence in my bowling, they seem to know that I'm going to go for runs, but they also know that there's a good chance I'm going to force a mistake, so I tend to increasingly bowl my full allocation of overs. I'm still chasing a five-fer! Well done for yours - is that your first?

No worries mate, good to hear another wrist spinner doing well. I think your basing my bowling off my youtube vids? I come in off 2-3 steps these days and rely more on flight and guile. Last year I just couldn't get a run-up together, I could do it in the field practicing perfectly. Draw some lines on the ground and have to work with them and it all went to pieces - stuttering and all sorts it was embarrassing! I just vary the pace, flight, length, line and delivery - mixing Leg-Breaks, Flippers and Top-spinners. I think since starting to draw the wagon wheels, I've had far more of an idea of how things will pan out when I'm bowling and I've been able to set fields with more confidence or bowl to the fields the captain set. That seems to have given me more confidence in my bowling and captains seem to have more confidence in my bowling, they seem to know that I'm going to go for runs, but they also know that there's a good chance I'm going to force a mistake, so I tend to increasingly bowl my full allocation of overs. I'm still chasing a five-fer! Well done for yours - is that your first?

Yes, on the youtube videos you look quick and with a brisk run in. Certainly your bowling on those videos is quicker than mine. Interesting to hear you're now coming in off 2-3 steps. When I bowl in the nets, after I have bowled all my balls (I have 18 of them) sometimes instead of picking them up I will bowl them back from a couple of steps at the batsman's end of the net. I think this habit is really helping with rhythm and accuracy.

My own run-up is currently 10 steps and incorporates two long strides pushing off the left foot, I don't know why I do this and I've read that long strides should be avoided but it's what works for me and helps me build momentum and keep rhythm. I like the long stride, for me it's like pushing off when you're swimming and using the wall to give you a little burst. That's how it feels. My run up is settled now and I'm keeping it. I used to bowl from a five step run up but it's been 10 for a good few years now and I'm keeping it.

Yes, on the youtube videos you look quick and with a brisk run in. Certainly your bowling on those videos is quicker than mine. Interesting to hear you're now coming in off 2-3 steps. When I bowl in the nets, after I have bowled all my balls (I have 18 of them) sometimes instead of picking them up I will bowl them back from a couple of steps at the batsman's end of the net. I think this habit is really helping with rhythm and accuracy.

My own run-up is currently 10 steps and incorporates two long strides pushing off the left foot, I don't know why I do this and I've read that long strides should be avoided but it's what works for me and helps me build momentum and keep rhythm. I like the long stride, for me it's like pushing off when you're swimming and using the wall to give you a little burst. That's how it feels. My run up is settled now and I'm keeping it. I used to bowl from a five step run up but it's been 10 for a good few years now and I'm keeping it.
I've always struggled with run-ups, almost every year I'm trying to do something different. There's a good chance this year as I get fitter I'll have another go at a 9 step run-up - this, when it works seems to give me a bit of increase in pace that makes a difference and doesn't kill me in terms of knackering me out! But, if things keep going as they are and I keep getting picked for the 3rd or 4th XI I may well stick with the current 2-3 step walk-in.

I've always struggled with run-ups, almost every year I'm trying to do something different. There's a good chance this year as I get fitter I'll have another go at a 9 step run-up - this, when it works seems to give me a bit of increase in pace that makes a difference and doesn't kill me in terms of knackering me out! But, if things keep going as they are and I keep getting picked for the 3rd or 4th XI I may well stick with the current 2-3 step walk-in.

I think always best to stick with what you have if you're performing well. Personally, I need the extra steps to gain enough momentum through the delivery stride. At first it was weird and I had too much time to think, but now it feels very natural.

I played my first game of the season today, a 35 over friendly against a good team who usually beat us and they did again today but on a personal level it's fair to say it went well. I bowled 3.3 overs and got 5/16 and will get the match ball presented at the end of the season. I came on for the 28th over, I think they were about 110-4 or something. First ball I cleaned bowled a right hander with a stock leg break. Then this tall guy came on, another right hander. I recognised him from the away match last season because he hit two sixes off the last two balls of my third over and I was taken off. This was playing on my mind a bit. I bowled a no ball to him first ball then remarked my run up and started about a foot back. I then bowled two hideous full tosses and he dispatched both for four. At this point he had hit me for 20 runs from four balls over the course of two seasons. I gave myself a little talking to, I was pissed off and just told myself to bowl a normal leg break. I finally managed a good delivery against him and it bowled him off stump. I think the soft ground was helping me, deliveries which would turn and bounce away to slips in the nets were turning less and staying lower and hitting off stump. After that second wicket I felt good.

Next over there was a right hander on strike for a few deliveries, I was into the tail now. He had faced a few dot ball leg breaks so I decided it was time to deploy the flipper. It didn't come out perfectly but it was good enough, it was angled and stayed very low and hit the bottom of leg stump.

Third over the captain was on strike, he had been there for a while and charged at me from the first ball I bowled at him. He played forward to one, missed and was stumped.

Fourth over a tail ender was on strike and dollied a catch to a fielder close in. With the bat I faced one ball and got 1 not out, I'll take that. We lost by about 25 runs or something.

Sounds like you bowled really well, good to see that you came back from getting hit around a bit by the second guy - that is hard to do. Sounds like your leggy and flipper came out well yesterday!

Hey spinners, I’m not really a leg spinner, I’m an offie but there is no one on the off spin thread .

I more was just keen to talk about changing pace, flight and all that good stuff rather than technique and off spin specific stuff.

If it means anything I can bowl a decent carrom ball and back spinner lol.

Just to add to the flipper discussion, I find when I’m bowling to left handers, ball turning away like legspin to a right hander, they tend to move across and try and cut me a lot. I have to bowl on syntho so I get a ton of bounce and it makes it’s fairly easy to sit back guide me down to 3rd man or point. So I’ve developed an arm ball (like a flipper) to keep them honest and make them play me off the front foot otherwise they get pinned LBW.

So I feel like even if the flipper doesn’t get a wicket it’d be pretty useful for stopping batsmen from just sitting back and cutting/pulling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey spinners, I’m not really a leg spinner, I’m an offie but there is no one on the off spin thread .

I more was just keen to talk about changing pace, flight and all that good stuff rather than technique and off spin specific stuff.

Just to add to the flipper discussion, I find when I’m bowling to left handers, ball turning away like legspin to a right hander, they tend to move across and try and cut me a lot. I have to bowl on syntho so I get a ton of bounce and it makes it’s fairly easy to sit back guide me down to 3rd man or point. So I’ve developed an arm ball (like a flipper) to keep them honest and make them play me off the front foot otherwise they get pinned LBW.

So I feel like even if the flipper doesn’t get a wicket it’d be pretty useful for stopping batsmen from just sitting back and cutting/pulling.

Yes, certainly. I find when I bowl to right handers as a leg spinner on big turning pitches they easily go back to cut and pull me, so I certainly think a flipper would be so useful in these situations. And to add to this, most of these cutters and pullers are on the top teams, and previously I haven't had an answer apart from bowling a slider type thing which sometimes turned and a topspinner. But this season, I'll have the flipper so I should run through some good teams hopefully.

Yeah a back-spinner of some sort is a must I'd say if anything with over-spin is sitting up enough to pull. It'd be great to hear a finger-spinner working on a flipper and having that as a part of your armoury. Never even heard of a finger-spinner with a back-spinner of any sort let alone bowling flippers - you might be a first!

Yeah a back-spinner of some sort is a must I'd say if anything with over-spin is sitting up enough to pull. It'd be great to hear a finger-spinner working on a flipper and having that as a part of your armoury. Never even heard of a finger-spinner with a back-spinner of any sort let alone bowling flippers - you might be a first!

Yeah so I have a traditional arm ball that is just like a square spinner and doesn’t get enough grip to turn.

But I’ve found that it still tends to sit up off of the pitch so I normally use this only to right handers because it’s pretty easy to disguise and I use it more to catch them playing for turn.

Against lefties I release it off of my index finger with the seam facing towards fine leg for the left hander. I get the seam to rotate pretty evenly so o get it to swing a fair bit. This works well because I’ll pitch some off breaks on off stump, turn them away, maybe get cut, and then I bowl the arm bowl out wide, they set up for the cut and then it dips in and doesn’t bounce as much.

It’s a very useful and easy to bowl delivery. I don’t use it to right handers much because it actually swings too much and it just gets left alone.

Found this really good video on the tactics and mindset for spinners. Even though he's an offie, all the advice he gives is applicable to leggies too as throughout the video he is basically just giving tips on how to analyse the batsman and get him out.

Found this really good video on the tactics and mindset for spinners. Even though he's an offie, all the advice he gives is applicable to leggies too as throughout the video he is basically just giving tips on how to analyse the batsman and get him out.

YES, I’ve found this before and I agree they are very, very good videos.

YES, I’ve found this before and I agree they are very, very good videos.

He is so knowledgable - I think he might have played a lot of professional cricket as he was talking about speaking to Saqlain Mushtaq and people like that. I particularly like in the video how he figured that the batsman was watching the ball off the pitch, and after missing one outside off he would be thinking about playing it differently next time it is outside off, so he fired one in as a yorker which bowled him.

Filmed some leggies and flippers today - thoughts? Any tips for helping the flipper come out faster? Also I find I can bowl really well from a standing start, getting tons of turn, drift and dip (as shown in one of the clips) but I can't really convert this to a run up for some reason, where it doesn't seem I get as much turn. Anyhow what do you guys think of the flipper in particular? I've filmed one from a standing start and one from a run up. Same for the leggies.

Attachments

• IMG_2562 (2).mov
    1.9 MB
  • IMG_2562 (1).mov
    2 MB
  • IMG_2562.mov
    2.8 MB
  • IMG_2562 (3).mov
    2.9 MB
Filmed some leggies and flippers today - thoughts? Any tips for helping the flipper come out faster? Also I find I can bowl really well from a standing start, getting tons of turn, drift and dip (as shown in one of the clips) but I can't really convert this to a run up for some reason, where it doesn't seem I get as much turn. Anyhow what do you guys think of the flipper in particular? I've filmed one from a standing start and one from a run up. Same for the leggies.

Ok 2 things I noticed:

1. Your run-up: you jog in, then stop and then really fling yourself in your action (3 phases), I think the problem being that you pause on the back foot a lot, try and keep your momentum forward and a lot of professionals say to spend as little time on the back foot as possible. If you can try to make it 1 or 2 "phases" instead of 3, so either jog/walk in and then fly into your action or put a lot into the whole action and run-up.

Try not to ruin your bowling by screwing your run up tho.

2. I took a photo from each stand-still and run-up video and have attached them.

Stand-still 1 and Run-up 1 are both taken with your Arm at about 90-135˚

Stand-still 2 and Run-up 2 are both taken with your Arm at about 0˚.

Stand still 1 Run-up 1 Stand-still 2 Run-up 2
Stand-still 1.png Run-up 2.png Stand-still 2.png Run up 1.png
Notice your back leg on the run up ones, I have/had a similar problem except my front foot would swing across too far and your back foot just gets planted too far back. Either way it makes you have to pivot too far and makes your weight go towards fine leg more than the stumps.

The back foot would be your main problem, I've found it quite hard to fix personally but its actually pretty easy, you just have to be willing to do actual target training rather than trying to change shit while you're bowling lol.

Thats all I noticed. Stand-still 2 is a great ball btw if thats the one you were talking about.

Hope you aren't on mobile because the images might be confusing, if you are they're in the order I listed them.

Back