Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

I’ve found the same thing but annoyingly when I was actually trying to make my bowling faster in general to stop myself getting pulled off length balls.

But yeah the more energy you have going through your arm the more you impart on the ball either by speed or revs.

Honestly personally arm speed=revs, momentum through the crease=speed. Obviously that’s a bit generalised because both of them would help both but I found getting my biomechanics and technique right helped me much more for getting air speed than just putting more afford into my arm did.

I think it’s because arm speed with no momentum means your body is going slower than your arm so it makes your hand whip off of the ball which gives more revs but slows it down as it exits your hand.

Momentum through the crease your whole body is going faster the ball naturally will come out with more pace because it’s being carried through faster.

Last edited:
Also careful putting too much effort into your arm you could end up ruining your shoulder or back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve found the same thing but annoyingly when I was actually trying to make my bowling faster in general to stop myself getting pulled off length balls.

But yeah the more energy you have going through your arm the more you impart on the ball either by speed or revs.

Honestly personally arm speed=revs, momentum through the crease=speed. Obviously that’s a bit generalised because both of them would help both but I found getting my biomechanics and technique right helped me much more for getting air speed than just putting more afford into my arm did.

I think it’s because arm speed with no momentum means your body is going slower than your arm so it makes your hand whip off of the ball which gives more revs but slows it down as it exits your hand.

Momentum through the crease your whole body is going faster the ball naturally will come out with more pace because it’s being carried through faster.

Hmm, I've never thought of it like that. I guess doing that as well may deceive the batsmen in that the arm action is fast but the ball doesn't come out nearly as fast as you would expect from that? Like they say, Warne had an arm action the same speed as Brett Lee...

Yeah, I just need to ease into it and not overwork so I don't get injured. I've been doing a fair bit in the gym lately so stronger muscles should protect me from injuries more though. Particularly focused on shoulder/wrist/back health as those are most important for spin bowlers.

Hmm, I've never thought of it like that. I guess doing that as well may deceive the batsmen in that the arm action is fast but the ball doesn't come out nearly as fast as you would expect from that? Like they say, Warne had an arm action the same speed as Brett Lee...

Yeah, I just need to ease into it and not overwork so I don't get injured. I've been doing a fair bit in the gym lately so stronger muscles should protect me from injuries more though. Particularly focused on shoulder/wrist/back health as those are most important for spin bowlers.

One of the best things I’ve seen is that Murali had a faster arm action than most fast bowlers.

I also need to do some strength/conditioning. Not a fan of gyms though tbh, I’d rather develop the muscle by bowling lol. It’s a terrible attitude tho.

One of the best things I’ve seen is that Murali had a faster arm action than most fast bowlers.

I also need to do some strength/conditioning. Not a fan of gyms though tbh, I’d rather develop the muscle by bowling lol. It’s a terrible attitude tho.

You can develop muscle through bowling but if you at least do a few other exercises you can develop muscles which are neglected during bowling and therefore prevent imbalances and injuries. I've certainly found doing this has increased my pace, spin, even my batting as well. Plus, once you have bowled for a while you can no longer really progress your strength through just bowling as you aren't progressively increasing the difficulty of the stimulus. So you get to a point where your body can bowl for an hour or two, and as you are only bowling for an hour or two, your body figures you simply need to maintain the strength you have now instead of needing to progress to meet a more challenging stimulus.

You can develop muscle through bowling but if you at least do a few other exercises you can develop muscles which are neglected during bowling and therefore prevent imbalances and injuries. I've certainly found doing this has increased my pace, spin, even my batting as well. Plus, once you have bowled for a while you can no longer really progress your strength through just bowling as you aren't progressively increasing the difficulty of the stimulus. So you get to a point where your body can bowl for an hour or two, and as you are only bowling for an hour or two, your body figures you simply need to maintain the strength you have now instead of needing to progress to meet a more challenging stimulus.

Yeah you’re right. I’ve got a rowing machine at home, you reckon that with some push ups, squats and stuff would do the job?

I have been told rowing does a very good job of targeting the muscles used for bowling.

Now that I’ve evidently sprained my side and have a constant dull pain at the bottom of my left ribcage.

Have any of you faced issues with side sprains when bowling? Either due to lack of fitness or a technical issue. I think my current one is the former, however I have was trying to get my front arm and shoulder up high at the nets which would have put more stress on my left side.

The only injuries I’ve had playing cricket is a couple of side sprains and a rolled ankle from taking a catch at training and clipping the metal beam at the bottom of the nets on my way down.

I don’t know if height would affect my susceptibility to side sprains because I’m fairly tall (190cm), but I’ve tried a lot to reduce the load on my side and it seems hard to maintain while trying to get the big front arm action that spinners should have.

I think it come down to how upright I am in my action as I tend to fall over a bit when I’m not paying attention to it (core strength again) and I think keeping my eyes more level would even the load across my body.

Yeah you’re right. I’ve got a rowing machine at home, you reckon that with some push ups, squats and stuff would do the job?

I have been told rowing does a very good job of targeting the muscles used for bowling.

Yeah, that would be sufficient. Although once you get good at squats, push ups, since you have no extra weight to use you need to find ways to make it harder. Try tougher variations such as one armed push ups, pistol squats, etc.

I would also recommend doing pull ups and chin ups. If you do tons of pushing (push ups) and don't do back work, or pulling, like pull ups, you will develop injuries and will also be neglecting some of the most powerful muscles in the bowling action. While rowing is pulling, again you will not get too strong with it as it is more muscular endurance and is often more used for cardio benefits.

Only injuries I've ever had are a bit of wrist pain, but I fixed that within a week of doing some wrist curls in the gym.

Now, side sprains can obviously be caused by action breakdown. But what is action breakdown caused by usually? Muscles that aren't doing their job properly as they are not strong enough/too fatigued.. So I would advise trying a workout regime, improving the strength of your whole body. However, there are a few things you need to focus on to strengthen the muscles which can prevent side strains.
Strengthen the abs, but particularly the obliques (outer abs) - do this through side planks.
Strengthen the glute medius and the glutes in general, so do stuff like lunges and squats.
Overall, try and strengthen the whole body but those parts in general should have emphasis.

Just make sure you rest the injury so it can fully heal before you try bowling again. However, if there is no pain doing exercises listed above, it should be safe to do and should only fasten the healing of the injury. I'm no expert on this subject, but this is just some knowledge I gained from the internet and know from topping my class in exercise science ( I am studying to be a sports physio).

Yeah, that would be sufficient. Although once you get good at squats, push ups, since you have no extra weight to use you need to find ways to make it harder. Try tougher variations such as one armed push ups, pistol squats, etc.

I would also recommend doing pull ups and chin ups. If you do tons of pushing (push ups) and don't do back work, or pulling, like pull ups, you will develop injuries and will also be neglecting some of the most powerful muscles in the bowling action. While rowing is pulling, again you will not get too strong with it as it is more muscular endurance and is often more used for cardio benefits.

Only injuries I've ever had are a bit of wrist pain, but I fixed that within a week of doing some wrist curls in the gym.

Now, side sprains can obviously be caused by action breakdown. But what is action breakdown caused by usually? Muscles that aren't doing their job properly as they are not strong enough/too fatigued.. So I would advise trying a workout regime, improving the strength of your whole body. However, there are a few things you need to focus on to strengthen the muscles which can prevent side strains.
Strengthen the abs, but particularly the obliques (outer abs) - do this through side planks.
Strengthen the glute medius and the glutes in general, so do stuff like lunges and squats.
Overall, try and strengthen the whole body but those parts in general should have emphasis.

Just make sure you rest the injury so it can fully heal before you try bowling again. However, if there is no pain doing exercises listed above, it should be safe to do and should only fasten the healing of the injury. I'm no expert on this subject, but this is just some knowledge I gained from the internet and know from topping my class in exercise science ( I am studying to be a sports physio).

Really appreciate the help, thanks.

I can’t really bowl for a while anyway because it’s cold and wet in Perth atm haha.

And yeah I’ve already learnt my lesson from not being patient with my ankle injury. I have always been extra conscious with upper body injuries (back, sides) so I won’t be doing much too it until it’s good to go.

I feel like upper body strength training for bowling can’t be too extreme anyway because it’ll get to a point where it starts limiting flexibility and movement. But yeah I’ll certainly start working up to more challenging exercises (once I’m recovered).

Ok so I misdiagnosed myself I actually sprained an intercostal muscle.

But I’m actually using the injury to fix the issue. I’m slowly going through my action and testing out what makes it hurt less. My long term goal is to be able to bowl a good, accurate stock ball with as little stress on my body as possible. So I kinda see this injury as an opportunity to reduce the stress on my side while I’m bowling.

It’s pretty handy that optimising body movements tends to make your bowling better as well. But even if it doesn’t my fitness and longevity is more important, I’d rather play a lot and be shit than be good and never play.

Last edited:
Hey all I'm back after finishing Ramadan and just played the first game of the season and boy what a game it was. The headlines figures were we lost the toss and were put into bat, ending up all out for 59 after 33 overs. That’s not a typo. We only scored 59 at a rate of less than 2 an over. We were unsurprisingly beaten but not easily. We dragged the opposition all the way to the 35th over, taking 6 wickets in the process, but we just never had enough runs to defend. And in a game with only 4 boundaries and at least 20 maiden overs, it was bloody good fun!
We arrived at 12pm for a 1pm start. It was a beautiful day. Sun was shining bright and the sky was blue and nearly cloudless. That was the best part of the conditions because the ground wasn’t in good nick. Our wicket is uncovered year round and it had suffered with the week of rain that preceded the game. The wicket was basically mud. It looked okay from a distance but on closer inspection, and a poke with the thumb, the wicket had the consistency of playdough. I literally left a thumb imprint in it with a light poke. Our wicket has never been fantastic but even the skipper said this was the worst condition he’d ever seen it in and it showed from the first ball. The outfield was just as bad. It was waterlogged with a marshmallow consistency so nothing was making it to the rope.

The oppo were the usual amalgamation of older chaps and young bucks but they were friendly enough. Just a shame the wicket wasn’t. From the get go it was doing all sorts and none of it was batter friendly. Balls were zipping low. Half trackers were skidding through an inch or two off the wicket and even the seamers were getting lateral movement. Our openers held fast for a few overs but then the wickets started tumbling. No one lasted more than a couple of overs out there. LBWs were coming thick and fast and playing across the line was impossible because the variable bounce. Even when we managed to get hold of a ball it went nowhere because there was just no pace coming off the wicket. The skipper managed to stick out there all the way to the end taking 21 from 51 balls for our highest score. After number six not a single batsmen troubled the scoreboard as our lower order tumbled for 5 ducks, including yours truly. Thankfully, I didn’t go out for a golden duck but batting was almost impossible. It was more like playing golf than cricket. I managed to stick out there for four overs before I played all around another half tracker that didn’t even get above knee height and was clean bowled. It was the first time I’ve ever batted on a wicket that felt like treacle beneath my feet. In the end we were skittled for a measly 59 runs. The opposition now only had to score at 1.5 runs per over to win.

After a ponderously long lunch break, we were ready to take the field and the boys walked out with their heads high. We were determined the defend our tiny total, confident that the wicket would be just as bad for them. Unfortunately, it was and wasn’t. The sun was beaming down all afternoon and the by the second half of their innings it had started to dry out and play somewhat normally.

Our opening bowlers did a brilliant job. Skipper shined again as he took 3 wickets, bowled 7 maidens, and only let off 8 runs! His particular brand of low, skiddy, seam bowling was perfect on the swampy wicket. The oppo were finding it just as hard as us initially. Things were looking somewhat in our favour as they dropped 4 wickets cheaply and somehow after 20 overs found themselves below the required run rate. But then, two of their batsmen managed to stick it out and stop the bleed of wickets.

I came on to bowl around this point as first change and my first ever bowling spell went pretty well, but it was hard work. The wicket was turning a mile but my balls were barely getting an inch or two off the ground. That, combined with the measly run rate, meant the batsmen could leave anything turning away from their wickets well alone. I had a couple dodgy LBW shouts, but other than that they gave me nothing to work with. They were content to block or leave. I unloaded my entire bag of tricks on them: floating them up trying to tease them out of the crease, quicker ones, pitching outside off, pitching outside leg, top spinners, slower ones. They didn’t bite at anything. They had shut down shop so hard that half of the runs I conceded were byes behind the stumps as the vicious turn and absence of bounce was proving to be a nightmare for the keeper. My only wicket came in my 5th over. Finally, the batsmen took the bait and swatted one straight to square leg who took a brilliant catch. In the end I gave up trying to rip it and was bowling mainly top spinners in my final over. It was a rough day to be a leggie. With no impetus to score and no bounce or pace off the wicket to create an opportunity, I finished with figures of: 7 overs - 2 maidens - 9 runs - 1 wicket. And the admiration of the skipper which is always handy when you're a spinner.

In the end, the oppo saw the game home safely but we dragged them kicking and punching all the way to the 36th over. Our boys kept their heads up and kept in the fight all the way to the end. The bowling attack was actually pretty good with only one or two bowlers being relatively expensive. Most of the attack finished with sub 2 economies and 4 out of 6 bowlers took a wicket. It reads like an absolute snoozefest on paper but was a brilliant game of attrition. Sometimes cricket’s like that.

Fingers crossed next week the wicket has a bit of life in it!

Attachments

• IMG-3193.jpg
    IMG-3193.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 3
Hey all I'm back after finishing Ramadan and just played the first game of the season and boy what a game it was. The headlines figures were we lost the toss and were put into bat, ending up all out for 59 after 33 overs. That’s not a typo. We only scored 59 at a rate of less than 2 an over. We were unsurprisingly beaten but not easily. We dragged the opposition all the way to the 35th over, taking 6 wickets in the process, but we just never had enough runs to defend. And in a game with only 4 boundaries and at least 20 maiden overs, it was bloody good fun!
We arrived at 12pm for a 1pm start. It was a beautiful day. Sun was shining bright and the sky was blue and nearly cloudless. That was the best part of the conditions because the ground wasn’t in good nick. Our wicket is uncovered year round and it had suffered with the week of rain that preceded the game. The wicket was basically mud. It looked okay from a distance but on closer inspection, and a poke with the thumb, the wicket had the consistency of playdough. I literally left a thumb imprint in it with a light poke. Our wicket has never been fantastic but even the skipper said this was the worst condition he’d ever seen it in and it showed from the first ball. The outfield was just as bad. It was waterlogged with a marshmallow consistency so nothing was making it to the rope.

The oppo were the usual amalgamation of older chaps and young bucks but they were friendly enough. Just a shame the wicket wasn’t. From the get go it was doing all sorts and none of it was batter friendly. Balls were zipping low. Half trackers were skidding through an inch or two off the wicket and even the seamers were getting lateral movement. Our openers held fast for a few overs but then the wickets started tumbling. No one lasted more than a couple of overs out there. LBWs were coming thick and fast and playing across the line was impossible because the variable bounce. Even when we managed to get hold of a ball it went nowhere because there was just no pace coming off the wicket. The skipper managed to stick out there all the way to the end taking 21 from 51 balls for our highest score. After number six not a single batsmen troubled the scoreboard as our lower order tumbled for 5 ducks, including yours truly. Thankfully, I didn’t go out for a golden duck but batting was almost impossible. It was more like playing golf than cricket. I managed to stick out there for four overs before I played all around another half tracker that didn’t even get above knee height and was clean bowled. It was the first time I’ve ever batted on a wicket that felt like treacle beneath my feet. In the end we were skittled for a measly 59 runs. The opposition now only had to score at 1.5 runs per over to win.

After a ponderously long lunch break, we were ready to take the field and the boys walked out with their heads high. We were determined the defend our tiny total, confident that the wicket would be just as bad for them. Unfortunately, it was and wasn’t. The sun was beaming down all afternoon and the by the second half of their innings it had started to dry out and play somewhat normally.

Our opening bowlers did a brilliant job. Skipper shined again as he took 3 wickets, bowled 7 maidens, and only let off 8 runs! His particular brand of low, skiddy, seam bowling was perfect on the swampy wicket. The oppo were finding it just as hard as us initially. Things were looking somewhat in our favour as they dropped 4 wickets cheaply and somehow after 20 overs found themselves below the required run rate. But then, two of their batsmen managed to stick it out and stop the bleed of wickets.

I came on to bowl around this point as first change and my first ever bowling spell went pretty well, but it was hard work. The wicket was turning a mile but my balls were barely getting an inch or two off the ground. That, combined with the measly run rate, meant the batsmen could leave anything turning away from their wickets well alone. I had a couple dodgy LBW shouts, but other than that they gave me nothing to work with. They were content to block or leave. I unloaded my entire bag of tricks on them: floating them up trying to tease them out of the crease, quicker ones, pitching outside off, pitching outside leg, top spinners, slower ones. They didn’t bite at anything. They had shut down shop so hard that half of the runs I conceded were byes behind the stumps as the vicious turn and absence of bounce was proving to be a nightmare for the keeper. My only wicket came in my 5th over. Finally, the batsmen took the bait and swatted one straight to square leg who took a brilliant catch. In the end I gave up trying to rip it and was bowling mainly top spinners in my final over. It was a rough day to be a leggie. With no impetus to score and no bounce or pace off the wicket to create an opportunity, I finished with figures of: 7 overs - 2 maidens - 9 runs - 1 wicket. And the admiration of the skipper which is always handy when you're a spinner.

In the end, the oppo saw the game home safely but we dragged them kicking and punching all the way to the 36th over. Our boys kept their heads up and kept in the fight all the way to the end. The bowling attack was actually pretty good with only one or two bowlers being relatively expensive. Most of the attack finished with sub 2 economies and 4 out of 6 bowlers took a wicket. It reads like an absolute snoozefest on paper but was a brilliant game of attrition. Sometimes cricket’s like that.

Oh hey BostallBandits

Also that pitch doesn’t actually look that bad, wouldn’t expect it to do what you’ve said.

Well written story, I enjoyed that! Really good economy for a leggy, even if the wicket was almost impossible to bat. Not a bad first game then I guess?

Ok so I misdiagnosed myself I actually sprained an intercostal muscle.

But I’m actually using the injury to fix the issue. I’m slowly going through my action and testing out what makes it hurt less. My long term goal is to be able to bowl a good, accurate stock ball with as little stress on my body as possible. So I kinda see this injury as an opportunity to reduce the stress on my side while I’m bowling.

It’s pretty handy that optimising body movements tends to make your bowling better as well. But even if it doesn’t my fitness and longevity is more important, I’d rather play a lot and be shit than be good and never play.

Damn, spraining an intercostal muscle is very hard to do. Does it hurt to laugh and cough?

Damn, spraining an intercostal muscle is very hard to do. Does it hurt to laugh and cough?

It’s quite mild so it’s more really uncomfortable than painful.

I do feel it when I sneeze and that yeah, also when I twist around to look at something or if I like bend to the side at all.

Had a fast bowler at my club almost completely tear an intercostal in a match last season. Everyone at the game said it sounded like a gunshot went off.

Hence why I bowl spin.

Hey all,
Since coming back from a month off from bowling I'm feeling super rusty and lacking control. My pitching is okay but I've noticed a definite degradation in my seam control. I'm bowling a long complete side spinners and accidental top spinners. I really want to work on getting my seam to point at first slip consistently as my stock delivery. Does anyone have any drills I could do or ways to specifically practice seam presentation?
Thanks in advance!

Hey all,
Since coming back from a month off from bowling I'm feeling super rusty and lacking control. My pitching is okay but I've noticed a definite degradation in my seam control. I'm bowling a long complete side spinners and accidental top spinners. I really want to work on getting my seam to point at first slip consistently as my stock delivery. Does anyone have any drills I could do or ways to specifically practice seam presentation?
Thanks in advance!

Hey, best thing I can offer you is just to spin it from hand to hand, getting the right seam presentation, then bowling from 15 yards, watching the seam presentation, and then once that's good take it through the proper 22 yards.

Hey, best thing I can offer you is just to spin it from hand to hand, getting the right seam presentation, then bowling from 15 yards, watching the seam presentation, and then once that's good take it through the proper 22 yards.

Yup pretty much the same from me. Emphasis on spinning it hand to hand when you’re just chilling, it gives you more awareness of how the ball is leaving your hand when you actually bowl.

I even spin leggies from hand to hand and I don’t even bowl leg spin. It’s just really easy to do it and it actually warms your hands up well for bowling.

Something I try when my seam presentation is bad is just rotate the seam a slight bit in my hand each ball until I start noticing a better seam presentation and it normally gets it coming out well. It also tends to get more revs because (as an offie) my spinning finger just gets more purchase on the seam the whole way through the release rotation. Should be the same for a leggie except your spinning finger is different.

Last edited:
Back