Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Well done on the trophy. That's a good plan for the offseason, how regularly do you reckon you can get to the nets? You'll return an even better player with that plan.

Nah, I played today, and in this format it is basically a one dayer - 50 overs a side over one day.

Opened the batting, had a decent 50 partnership with the other opener - only scored 10 myself though, then I got out to this spinner that bowled a really quick bouncer. Then when we came out to bowl, I would bowl like 2 bad, leg side short ones an over, and in this comp they get punished. So, not the best returns, 0-57 off 8. I didn't think I bowled that bad, as there were 4 missed chances - one dropped caught and bowled, one dropped by the keeper, and one dropped by cover, as well as an lbw call that was absolutely plumb but given not out. I also kept their best batter in all sorts until I'd drop one short at the end of the over and he'd hit it for six. He plays for NSW (he was the one with the lbw call).

Good news is I've got a t20 game tomorrow to redeem myself.
Was it videod?

Leggy88 Leggy88 how's the start of your season going? You had any of your games recorded on Frog box?

Almost non existent, haven't played since a t20 on October 17 - we've missed out on like 6 straight games due to games being rained out. Very unlucky, so that means I've only played 2 games this whole season so far (none recorded on youtube). 0 wickets and 23 runs with the bat. Does this sorta frustrating weather happen a lot in England?

On the bright side though, La Nina is supposed to wane off in about 2 weeks time, so hopefully we get a lot of games December onwards. There's two games in February which I think will be live streamed on frogbox as well, so thats good (we are versing rich teams that usually live stream their games). If we make the finals, I'm sure they will be live streamed as well.

Almost non existent, haven't played since a t20 on October 17 - we've missed out on like 6 straight games due to games being rained out. Very unlucky, so that means I've only played 2 games this whole season so far (none recorded on youtube). 0 wickets and 23 runs with the bat. Does this sorta frustrating weather happen a lot in England?

On the bright side though, La Nina is supposed to wane off in about 2 weeks time, so hopefully we get a lot of games December onwards. There's two games in February which I think will be live streamed on frogbox as well, so thats good (we are versing rich teams that usually live stream their games). If we make the finals, I'm sure they will be live streamed as well.
No, we've not really had a bad summer for some time now. There was one about 8-10 years ago, where the first 2 or 3 weeks were washed out consecutively, but then it became more sporadic and I think we only lost 5 matches altogether. Watching the news, it looks like you've had it bad over there for a couple of years now. It's ridiculously warm at the moment in the UK - we'd expect frosts and average temps of about 10 degrees at the moment during the day. Some places are going to be 19 tomorrow and it's been 8 degrees above the average for a few weeks now. A lot of rain though in between, but nothing like we're seeing you have. T20 final tomorrow over there and it sounds like it's going to be affected by the rain.

No, we've not really had a bad summer for some time now. There was one about 8-10 years ago, where the first 2 or 3 weeks were washed out consecutively, but then it became more sporadic and I think we only lost 5 matches altogether. Watching the news, it looks like you've had it bad over there for a couple of years now. It's ridiculously warm at the moment in the UK - we'd expect frosts and average temps of about 10 degrees at the moment during the day. Some places are going to be 19 tomorrow and it's been 8 degrees above the average for a few weeks now. A lot of rain though in between, but nothing like we're seeing you have. T20 final tomorrow over there and it sounds like it's going to be affected by the rain.

Yeah, well done England. I enjoyed watching Rashid, who bowled this beautiful wrong un to dismiss Babar. I also saw him bowl a few sliders.

Last season, first 3 games washed out. Season before that, first 4 games washed out - and this season we have had 6 missed games in a row after the first 2 games.

Leggy88 Leggy88 You at a game now? Is it being video'd? Just looking at some games on Youtube.

Nah, but got a one day game tomorrow. Also, I’ve been experimenting with a back spinner in the long break between games and I can land it almost 100% of the time now. When it pitches it does some really weird things - bounces high, stays low, drifts in, cuts away, goes on with the arm. I’ll film it soon. Gonna try it tomorrow.

Nah, but got a one day game tomorrow. Also, I’ve been experimenting with a back spinner in the long break between games and I can land it almost 100% of the time now. When it pitches it does some really weird things - bounces high, stays low, drifts in, cuts away, goes on with the arm. I’ll film it soon. Gonna try it tomorrow.
sounds good, what's the release out of the hand like - is it the proper OBS?

sounds good, what's the release out of the hand like - is it the proper OBS?

Nah, but it’s about half sidespin half backspin. Need to imagine I’m bowling the full OBS though for my hand to get round far enough - as if I imagine I’m getting my hand in the half backspin/sidespin position it is actually more like a pure side spinner.

Bowled the best I have in my career yesterday in the most ideal conditions for a legspinner. Turning track, with a breeze coming from backward point to midwicket, aiding with dip and drift. Bowled 10 overs straight (the most you can bowl) for 2/9. I somehow managed to churn out five maidens.

Got the first guy out, the opener, caught on the leg side boundary sweeping a topspinner. In the same over, I bowled a wrong un to a guy who didn't pick it and tried to drive it through the covers on the up. The ball ballooned off the inside edge for a sitter to short midwicket.
Before this over (a double wicket maiden) the opposition had been cruising at 2/72 (needing 150) and ended up getting all bowled out for 98 after I got out the two set batsmen, causing a collapse.

I bowled my backspinner a fair bit, and while it didn't get a wicket it was quite effective. It would typically skid on straight, and due to the fact my other deliveries were turning big, it kept the batsmen on their toes. Looked very promising, as the batsmen were expecting it to dip but instead it carried on a bit further.

Good to finally get some reward after toiling away in the nets the past 4 weeks without a game.

Hello everyone,
First time poster, I’m 33 yr old left arm wrist spinner. This season I decided to start cricket again at club level after a couple years of hiatus. Ive been a spinner for a while but have switched bowling type many times from medium pace to off spin to carrom bowl. A few years back I decided to just stick to wrist spin. It was only this year after reading “The art of spin” which I found thanks to these spin threads on here have I finally started to understood what I was doing with my wrist. Thanks again, it has helped me a lot.
I’m currently working on a flipper but it seems a long way off and sometimes I think it might not even be worth it. Sometimes I wish I was a right hander as my stock ball would be very dangerous going away from the batsman.
Ive read a lot of posts on the slider here and I have been bowling it like The philpott way and I notice sometimes it swings in the air, I don't think it is drift and it skids a bit before it spins. I always seem to get an inside edge with it compared to my stock ball (my stock ball, which I think I am putting more revs, weird huh).
Mostly I work on my action and concentrating in nets has really helped. My main issue right now is I guess a mental problem, I bowl with my heart out in the nets and bowl well but during the games I never give it 100% I'm afraid of leaking runs or bowling wides or being taken out of the attacked.
This Saturday is the second day of our two dayer and Im hoping I finally bring my nets form to the game. Any advice or suggestions will be welcomed and I hope to post more on here, I just wished I found this place early because the Philpott book has finally opened my mind about spin and cricket.

Regarding the slider, I haven’t exactly been bowling it like the philpot way (spinning back towards yourself). The way I understood his way was that when stationary it might seem like you’re spinning it toward yourself but during delivery your wrist is going from left to right(lefty bearings) to impart full side spin. This is my big break.
But the the slider that I bowl I spin toward my self (wrist going from the batsman towards me) and then palm or pushing it out of my hand towards the batman(well thats what I think I am doing in my mind at least haven’t recorded my self to know exactly what Im doing.
Ive seen that bowl swing sometimes, the reason I don’t think it is drift is because I don’t get drift with my big leg break so I don't seen how I can get drift from a delivery that I don't even put that many revs on. Drift is still a mystery to me, need to work more on my hip rotation.
I’m getting a lot of pain in my back the right side lower back just above the hip, I wonder if this is because Im falling away during delivery.

Whats the consensus on bracing the front leg on here?
Any advice on up and over hip rotation.

Welcome to the forum mate.

It's different bowling in the middle than in the nets, but the only way to be prepared is just to practice as much as possible. I don't think there's any magic formula, just gotta try your best when the captain throws you the ball.

Personally I try to bowl the same way in the nets and in a match, trying to spin the ball hard. I would not compromise on spinning the ball hard in a match. That's what we're there to do.

Don't worry about the runs. The wrist spinner is not the "safety option". You're there to take wickets, not keep the score down. That's the captain's job. So just have fun and enjoy it, spin the ball hard like you do in the nets and the wickets will come.

Hey mate, glad to see you here.

I agree with Darth on this one, even if you go for runs still keep pushing for wickets. One magic ball which takes a wicket is worth it even if balls before it get smacked.

Try and be nice and relaxed when you bowl in game, maybe try singing a song in your head to calm your nerves. This should help you recreate what you do in the nets into the game.

What you are describing regarding the slider sounds like it has a fair bit of backspin, like mine, right?

Drift is a result of pure revs on the ball, if you have a guy with insanely strong wrists who muscles the revs onto the ball, and a guy with perfect technique, hip rotation, everything, yet they get the same amount of revs, they will both drift the ball the same amount. So if you think hip rotation will give you more revs, go ahead and work on it and it may lead to more drift. Essentially, you need mostly sidespin + a lot of revs to gain significant drift.

Bracing the front leg is not necessary but could lead to more pace, accuracy and revs if mastered. Give it a go, it has benefited me.

Regarding hip rotation, when in your delivery stride (e.g bowling the ball) try and land your front leg (in your case, your right leg as a chinaman) on your toes. Minimal contact with the ground on your front foot will lead to less resistance in your pivot and therefore increased hip rotation.

I haven't had back pain but I know a bit about sport science and strengthening the core + hips should stop you falling away and keep your body in alignment.

Good luck for Saturday, I've got a big game Sunday too.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
Yes, I do put back spin on the slider and I find it very effective against good batsmen.
When I rotate the hips, I find I don't get the pain. I think the pain might be due to half my body being side on and the other half being straight on, that or falling away during delivery. I’m trying to perfect my action because I've noticed it helps so much with accuracy.
Yeah Ive tried the leading foot landing on my toes to help the rotation but then I can’t brace the front foot haha for some reason but Im working at it eventually it will come through. There is a leggy at the club who consistently gets drift but we both spin the ball the same amount judging from the ball moving after pitching, in fact I would say I spin it more but I don't get drift. It must be in the hip rotation or maybe I bowl too fast.
However I have learnt from the Philpott book that spinning the ball lots doesn’t always equate to how much it turns on the pitch.
Is there any book about field settings? My cricket IQ when it comes to field settings is embarrassingly low, I usually get other people to set my field.

Ps. Good luck on sunday, I play T20s on sunday, there I just bowl googlies to sloggy Mcgees that wanna cow corner everything haha.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
Yes, I do put back spin on the slider and I find it very effective against good batsmen.
When I rotate the hips, I find I don't get the pain. I think the pain might be due to half my body being side on and the other half being straight on, that or falling away during delivery. I’m trying to perfect my action because I've noticed it helps so much with accuracy.
Yeah Ive tried the leading foot landing on my toes to help the rotation but then I can’t brace the front foot haha for some reason but Im working at it eventually it will come through. There is a leggy at the club who consistently gets drift but we both spin the ball the same amount judging from the ball moving after pitching, in fact I would say I spin it more but I don't get drift. It must be in the hip rotation or maybe I bowl too fast.
However I have learnt from the Philpott book that spinning the ball lots doesn’t always equate to how much it turns on the pitch.
Is there any book about field settings? My cricket IQ when it comes to field settings is embarrassingly low, I usually get other people to set my field.

Ps. Good luck on sunday, I play T20s on sunday, there I just bowl googlies to sloggy Mcgees that wanna cow corner everything haha.

yeah, the pain makes sense then. It seems to me the pain pops up when your back has to deal with unequal, twisting forces, like when you don’t rotate fully.

Concerning the leading foot, just fixing something I said earlier - I meant land on your mid foot (e.g how you usually land when running) with a braced front leg and then swivel onto the toes, staying on the toes for as long as possible. That should help you get a braced front leg and onto your front toes.

In the case of the drift, does the other bowler bowl a similar pace to you? Because it could be possible that he is getting more revs than you but you are bowling slower, causing the ball to grip more and even though it has less revs than the other bowler, turn the same amount. These extra revs the other bowler may be getting could be resulting in increased drift. Again, it is very hard to figure out why one bowler gets drift and the other doesn’t as a lot of factors can come into play. Such as - arm angle: is he more roundarm than you, or vice versa; does he bowl from a higher, lower release point; does he bowl from very wide of the crease, causing a greater natural angle into the batter which may be mistake for or gently encourage drift? Drift is a very tough topic.

yeah, search up Someblokecalleddave field settings blog. Some good things there.

Back