Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

SomeblokecalledDave. SomeblokecalledDave. so you flick your wrist just before releasing the ball, so that all the top spin is gone and you are left with only side spin? And once you flick too much and impart backspin, it becomes a slider? Is that what you are saying.

(I hope the flick makes sense.)

SomeblokecalledDave. SomeblokecalledDave. so you flick your wrist just before releasing the ball, so that all the top spin is gone and you are left with only side spin? And once you flick too much and impart backspin, it becomes a slider? Is that what you are saying.

(I hope the flick makes sense.)
You always try and flick your wrist irrespective of the angle you're trying to achieve as a part of the release action. But yeah, anything that's nearing 90 degrees or beyond 90 degree (back-spin) has the potential to skid straight on. Personally I'd never call it a 'Slider' as I think that's anomalous - you've either bowled a leg-break or an orthodox back-spinner it's just that it hasn't gripped and it's skidded on. You might (As Warne did) call it a slider when the batter looks at you as if to say 'What was that'? But among wrist-spinners you'd call it what it was surely? Or am I being a pedant?

You always try and flick your wrist irrespective of the angle you're trying to achieve as a part of the release action. But yeah, anything that's nearing 90 degrees or beyond 90 degree (back-spin) has the potential to skid straight on. Personally I'd never call it a 'Slider' as I think that's anomalous - you've either bowled a leg-break or an orthodox back-spinner it's just that it hasn't gripped and it's skidded on. You might (As Warne did) call it a slider when the batter looks at you as if to say 'What was that'? But among wrist-spinners you'd call it what it was surely? Or am I being a pedant?
My use of the flick is confusing. I meant the flick you can do to go from normal leg break to let’s say orthodox back spin. So by flick I mean rotating the palm direction from conventional leg spin to something of a orthodox back spin. So if you flick hard enough, you get orthodox back spin, while doing it slightly will get you somewhere in between.
(So there are two flicks, one for spin, other for changing palm direction, I hope it make sense.)

I guess calling it slider here doesn’t make sense much. 😅 But in artificial pitch, not having enough overspin means sliding most of the time, so I am getting used to the idea of calling it the slider. I guess that would not be the case in real turf.

My use of the flick is confusing. I meant the flick you can do to go from normal leg break to let’s say orthodox back spin. So by flick I mean rotating the palm direction from conventional leg spin to something of a orthodox back spin. So if you flick hard enough, you get orthodox back spin, while doing it slightly will get you somewhere in between.
(So there are two flicks, one for spin, other for changing palm direction, I hope it make sense.)

I guess calling it slider here doesn’t make sense much. 😅 But in artificial pitch, not having enough overspin means sliding most of the time, so I am getting used to the idea of calling it the slider. I guess that would not be the case in real turf.
I'd refer to the angling of the wrist in order to change the release/variation as 'Rotating the wrist' (palm direction) - the snap action to facilitate more spin - that's what I'd refer to as the 'Flick'. Yeah it is potentially confusing.

I can make the ball skid on consistently using a "slider" type release, bowling it cross seam. If I get it right it goes straight on. Sometimes it will turn a little or straighten up from an angle, but I can get it to go straight on fairly consistently. I've only bowled it in a match once, it turned a fraction, stayed low and just missed off stump. I've toyed with it a fair bit in the nets, though. If you do enough hand to hand practice on back spin, I think you can work it into a delivery.

However, I prefer the flipper as it's easier to impart backspin that way, in my opinion, and it just looks great after it pitches with a lot of revs.

My league match tomorrow for the 2nd team is cancelled due to lack of numbers (our team's shortfall). Friendly on Sunday going ahead and I'm in the team for that.

Yeah among wrist spinners I'd just call it what it is, a leggy with a bit of backspin or whatever it happens to be.

I can make the ball skid on consistently using a "slider" type release, bowling it cross seam. If I get it right it goes straight on. Sometimes it will turn a little or straighten up from an angle, but I can get it to go straight on fairly consistently. I've only bowled it in a match once, it turned a fraction, stayed low and just missed off stump. I've toyed with it a fair bit in the nets, though. If you do enough hand to hand practice on back spin, I think you can work it into a delivery.

However, I prefer the flipper as it's easier to impart backspin that way, in my opinion, and it just looks great after it pitches with a lot of revs.

Only thing I'm struggling with the flipper now is when I'm bowling it, the timing of the 'flip' action at the right arm position in the action. If I get it perfect, it comes out super fast, but if I get it slightly wrong it comes out a bit slower than my legbreak which is not ideal.

I bowled some flippers mixed in with 'around the loop' to a batter yesterday and ended up getting my first wicket to the flipper, among getting smashed after bowling some flippers too short and slow. The batsman went back to pull, it skidded on him and trapped him lbw. Pretty happy about that one.

You could be bowling at the stumps more too maybe? Getting more turn as well, leading to more stumpings and batters missing the ball and getting bowled?

I think it's down to the rain mostly, my stock ball turns and bounces pretty comfortably past off stump on harder wickets and I'm sure that will be the case later in the season.

I put it down to my stock ball hitting the stumps consistently because of a skiddier, deader surface. And I don't think I have played this much so early in the season before, so I've had a fair few games on these skiddy dead surfaces. If I can stay injury free I'm on course to bowl over 100 overs this season, which will be the same as all my other seasons put together.

Only thing I'm struggling with the flipper now is when I'm bowling it, the timing of the 'flip' action at the right arm position in the action. If I get it perfect, it comes out super fast, but if I get it slightly wrong it comes out a bit slower than my legbreak which is not ideal.

I bowled some flippers mixed in with 'around the loop' to a batter yesterday and ended up getting my first wicket to the flipper, among getting smashed after bowling some flippers too short and slow. The batsman went back to pull, it skidded on him and trapped him lbw. Pretty happy about that one.

Just timing and practice, eh? I'm sure my flipper got better from doing loads of hand to hand practice and many press ups. And then bowling it full blooded with good timing and follow through.

I also think bowling loads of them, quick fire, off a one or two step run up is a good drill.

I think it's down to the rain mostly, my stock ball turns and bounces pretty comfortably past off stump on harder wickets and I'm sure that will be the case later in the season.

I put it down to my stock ball hitting the stumps consistently because of a skiddier, deader surface. And I don't think I have played this much so early in the season before, so I've had a fair few games on these skiddy dead surfaces. If I can stay injury free I'm on course to bowl over 100 overs this season, which will be the same as all my other seasons put together.

Wow, you must hardly play any games or your captain mustn't have bowled you much before unfortunately. I remember my first season as a leggy (I've had 3 seasons so far) I bowled 120 overs in 22 games. Second season bowled 75 overs in 15 games, third season 50 overs in ten games. I don't really count last season as a proper season, only playing ten games due to poor scheduling, weather and being away.

Just timing and practice, eh? I'm sure my flipper got better from doing loads of hand to hand practice and many press ups. And then bowling it full blooded with good timing and follow through.

I also think bowling loads of them, quick fire, off a one or two step run up is a good drill.

Yeah for sure, I think getting the release drilled is the most important part.

Wow, you must hardly play any games or your captain mustn't have bowled you much before unfortunately. I remember my first season as a leggy (I've had 3 seasons so far) I bowled 120 overs in 22 games. Second season bowled 75 overs in 15 games, third season 50 overs in ten games. I don't really count last season as a proper season, only playing ten games due to poor scheduling, weather and being away.

I bowled 36 overs in 12 games in my first season and 33 in 16 games last season.

Last season tried bowling pace for the first half so that’s probably why I have less.

I bowled 36 overs in 12 games in my first season and 33 in 16 games last season.

Last season tried bowling pace for the first half so that’s probably why I have less.

Damn, do you guys play mostly t20s or something? I usually play half and half, half t20s half one dayers. One dayers I usually get 8-10 overs, t20s 2-4.

Damn, do you guys play mostly t20s or something? I usually play half and half, half t20s half one dayers. One dayers I usually get 8-10 overs, t20s 2-4.

Mostly one dayers, with a little 3-4 T20 break mid season.

I’m a semi decent batsman (for my grade) and my team has a ton of bowlers and not many good batsman so I was batting at 3 for most of the year and getting a couple of overs before/after drinks. Took a wicket first ball in my last 2 matches tho, dunno why I decided to bowl pace for a bit.

Back