Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

What do you deduce from the answer? Ask them to give a detailed definitive explanation of the Slider - wrist position - direction of spin - release point - how much spin? The details.

I don't deduce anything from it, I just thought I'd give it a whirl. I don't trust the answer.

I asked it the details you wanted and it then said the slider is a googly that spins in the opposite direction.

Wow that looks like a really beautiful city actually. I’m from outer Perth and I always appreciated the space, I don’t know how I’d do in a cramped up city like you get in the UK.
Yeah, it is beautiful. Though big city has its own pros, for example they have cricket fields. We have to make do with baseball nets for practice, and go to the next city for the league (50 mins drive).

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 8.46.35 am.png
This is the area near where I live, from the "Rockingham" club at the top to Peelwood Reserve at the bottom its just under a 30 minute drive.

The evolution cricket place is actually a new coaching clinic which is cool, i dont have to drive for 45 minutes up the freeway if I want cricket coaching.

I am glad that I live in a cricketing country though haha.

View attachment 2035
This is the area near where I live, from the "Rockingham" club at the top to Peelwood Reserve at the bottom its just under a 30 minute drive.

The evolution cricket place is actually a new coaching clinic which is cool, i dont have to drive for 45 minutes up the freeway if I want cricket coaching.

Look - now your showing off... All those surfing beaches and cricket!

View attachment 2035

The other thing I've noticed about Australia, so many of your sports grounds which look pretty basic as though they are 'Council/municipal' grounds, but loads of them are kitted out with massive flood lights. That is so rare here in the UK.

The other thing I've noticed about Australia, so many of your sports grounds which look pretty basic as though they are 'Council/municipal' grounds, but loads of them are kitted out with massive flood lights. That is so rare here in the UK.

Out of that map I sent you before 2 of them have floodlights (as far as I’m aware)

Lark Hill sports complex (premier team’s home ground)
023d5b0242abf0b68ca77b41468aac7d.jpg

And peelwood reserve (hosts regional day night games)
6174926c2e0a256d22d015200bbaf502.jpg

Tough away league game today. We lost the toss and were made to bowl first. The openers took 1 wicket between them, bowled okay. Then I was first change at one of the ends after the 9th over. I started tight and rhythmically and the second over was a wicket maiden, so all was going well.

Then I lost some rhythm, the bad balls got put away and there was a huge partnership between their number 3, who made 128 not out, and their number 4 who made 65. The number 3 was blocking my good balls and putting away the bad ones and picking up 1s and 2s in between. I finished my spell with 8 overs 1 maiden 49 runs 1 wicket. In the circumstances and on reflection, I'm glad that I did some damage limitation, got another league wicket to my name and after seeing what happened to some of the other bowlers it could have been worse. But also being honest with myself, definitely my worst spell of the season after the first two overs and something to try and learn from.

After that there was eventually a run out to break the huge partnership, and I took a catch at long on late on from one of the openers who had returned to finish his overs. Their team finished 267/4 from their 40 overs, ouch.

In reply we were never likely to get near them, but the team a acquitted themselves well to reach 140 all out. I was lowest scorer with 1 and out, I need to work on my batting at some point but I'm so lazy with it and not talented.

So a tough day and I'm just glad to salvage a wicket from it.

Figures for the season.

Screenshot_2023-06-03-21-08-19-79_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Tough away league game today. We lost the toss and were made to bowl first. The openers took 1 wicket between them, bowled okay. Then I was first change at one of the ends after the 9th over. I started tight and rhythmically and the second over was a wicket maiden, so all was going well.

Then I lost some rhythm, the bad balls got put away and there was a huge partnership between their number 3, who made 128 not out, and their number 4 who made 65. The number 3 was blocking my good balls and putting away the bad ones and picking up 1s and 2s in between. I finished my spell with 8 overs 1 maiden 49 runs 1 wicket. In the circumstances and on reflection, I'm glad that I did some damage limitation, got another league wicket to my name and after seeing what happened to some of the other bowlers it could have been worse. But also being honest with myself, definitely my worst spell of the season after the first two overs and something to try and learn from.

After that there was eventually a run out to break the huge partnership, and I took a catch at long on late on from one of the openers who had returned to finish his overs. Their team finished 267/4 from their 40 overs, ouch.

In reply we were never likely to get near them, but the team a acquitted themselves well to reach 140 all out. I was lowest scorer with 1 and out, I need to work on my batting at some point but I'm so lazy with it and not talented.

Figures for the season.

View attachment 2042
Similar story for me, I'm watching our first XI game (premier league) on Youtube at the moment and it's making me feel better that everyone is getting tonked for 7+ an over which I think I went for today. I'll come back with the details a little later.

Figures for the season.

View attachment 2042
What's XI do you play in and do you check on playcricket to see if batters like that one have been dropped down a couple of XI's? I'm sure when I have a look at the bloke that scored 120+ in our 5th XI game I'm going to find he's a 2nd or 3rd XI player normally rather than the 4th XI he was supposed to be!

What's XI do you play in and do you check on playcricket to see if batters like that one have been dropped down a couple of XI's? I'm sure when I have a look at the bloke that scored 120+ in our 5th XI game I'm going to find he's a 2nd or 3rd XI player normally rather than the 4th XI he was supposed to be!

I play in our second team on Saturdays in the league (40 overs) and in the friendly team on Sundays (35 overs).

The guy who got 128 not out was one of their first team batsmen and they were relegated last season, so they are basically a division above us in standard as we are second bottom of our division as things stand. They are third place and pushing for promotion.

The second team is a tough gig, it's patched up with different players each week, not many regulars and a lot of games get cancelled so it's stop start. This is my first season playing for the second team. However, I am enjoying the challenge. I've got four league wickets under my belt in three games, typically I'm finding myself in situations where there is only 1 wicket down and I'm encouraged that I'm breaking partnerships and getting top order players out. Also today's wicket was another bowled so I'm really pleased to have another bowled, that's 6 now.

On the downside, I need to stay more consistent for a whole spell and not let the bad balls or overs get to me. But overall, I'm pretty happy and just want to practice more but just enough so that I don't over practice and get tired for games.

This is the most cricket I've played in a single season for quite some time. I want to keep it going , iron out the kinks and get as many wickets as I can.

I play in our second team on Saturdays in the league (40 overs) and in the friendly team on Sundays (35 overs).

The guy who got 128 not out was one of their first team batsmen and they were relegated last season, so they are basically a division above us in standard as we are second bottom of our division as things stand. They are third place and pushing for promotion.

The second team is a tough gig, it's patched up with different players each week, not many regulars and a lot of games get cancelled so it's stop start. This is my first season playing for the second team. However, I am enjoying the challenge. I've got four league wickets under my belt in three games, typically I'm finding myself in situations where there is only 1 wicket down and I'm encouraged that I'm breaking partnerships and getting top order players out. Also today's wicket was another bowled so I'm really pleased to have another bowled, that's 6 now.

On the downside, I need to stay more consistent for a whole spell and not let the bad balls or overs get to me. But overall, I'm pretty happy and just want to practice more but just enough so that I don't over practice and get tired for games.

This is the most cricket I've played in a single season for quite some time. I want to keep it going , iron out the kinks and get as many wickets as I can.
All sounds good. They use me in a similar role, so it's either well set openers or middle order batters coming out to put some runs on. We've lost 5 on the trot now, down to the fact that we have no batting I've not looked yet, but there's a chance I was in the top 4 scorers with that bat coming in at No.10 and I can assure I am not a batter! Last week I was the 3rd best bat with 11, so you can see how poor a side we are with the bat. So far I've bowled virtually 95% flippers in the games and I generally haven't done well with the Leg-Breaks. The thing is I know I can get wickets with the Leggies because when I practice in the nets I tend to bowl against better bats and I have my field on a piece of paper that I give to the batters and say that's my field, you tell me whether you're scoring runs of getting out. Because of the field and how protected on the leg-side it is, normally they concede that I've got them within 10 balls either caught or bowled. But I never put it into practice in the league games because the likelihood of the catches being taken are quite low and I don't think the captain would buy into it unless maybe he saw me bowling in the nets which he never does. So I play it safe bowling flippers trying to contain runs with the occasional wicket. Off the top of my head today was 7-0-50-2, but I had to bowl at their best batters - one of whom went on to score the 120 plus. The captain today was saying that he wasn't expecting us to win any games, in which case I reckon that's a licence to bowl how I'd prefer to bowl for at least 4 of my 8 overs and see how it pans out. *I've just checked the bloke who scored all the runs and that's only his 2nd game for the oppo and in the previous game he was stumped for 2 runs. Can't find any mention of him playing for other team. God knows where he's learned to bat like that! Unless of course he spent his youth on the Maidans of Mumbai or something like that as a kid?

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a similar day to me.

I think you would get more wickets with the leg break as your stock ball, but it would be harder to control the runs.

Absolutely mate if I could rely on people catching the ball!

I've still only had one catch taken from my bowling this season. It's not that they're being dropped either, just when it does go in the air it has evaded fielders and there haven't been that many airy shots overall.

I think as the season goes on the pitches will harden and I'll start creating catching chances. But so far this season it's so weird: 6 bowled, 2 stumped, 1 lbw, 1 caught.

Hey guys, have a match tomorrow. Just wanted to ask if any of you have experience with artificial pitch. Does a new pitch (our league just installed a new artificial pitch) offer more or less spin? If I want the same turn as before should I lower my speed or increase it? Share your experience, it would be a great help.

Hey guys, have a match tomorrow. Just wanted to ask if any of you have experience with artificial pitch. Does a new pitch (our league just installed a new artificial pitch) offer more or less spin? If I want the same turn as before should I lower my speed or increase it? Share your experience, it would be a great help.

New pitches typically have longer “grass” because it hasn’t been worn down a bunch. They turn quite a bit actually (compared to used synthetic).

It should just turn more regardless of what you do, but in general I think bowling a bit quicker is a good idea because the ball also tends to sit up off the wicket.

So don’t bowl short either.

If you manage to get it nice and full you should have a blast, assuming you can keep the ball on the pitch.

Don’t you practice on synthetic? It tends to bounce a lot, doesn’t provide much natural variation, *apparently* turns less than turf. New synthetic is very nice to bowl spin on though.

Back