Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

It was definitely right to take me off.

It's not the first time he's been involved in something like that, though. Earlier in the season, he was captain and put me onto bowl. The first over i took a wicket, the second over went for a couple of fours and he took me off.

I just don't think he's a fan of my bowling.

Sorry to hear that man. Legspinners are always getting the most hate when things go wrong for them to be honest. It's a tough job.

I've got a ton of cricket coming up in the next few weeks. This weekend I'm playing Saturday and Sunday (40 overs) and then in the coming weeks there's a whole series of 'Cricket weeks' run by ours and other clubs. I'm down to play every day during our week - 40 over games. Be interesting to see how I go. 😬

Yep, it's been a great series so far, I've loved it. Surely England can't come back from 2-0 down haha.

It’s been a great series for sure but I can’t help but feel that the actual cricket has been pretty mediocre.

The only people I feel have really played well is Woakes, Wood, Stokes, Marsh, Head and Starc.

Everyone else has had some really terrible outings.

Ashes has been scintillating. Would be great if it was 2-2 heading to the Oval, that's what the fans and the series deserve.

Both my matches cancelled this weekend. I'm grateful for a week off.

Sorry to hear that man. Legspinners are always getting the most hate when things go wrong for them to be honest. It's a tough job.

It was absolutely brutal last week. The ground is in a unique location, at the foot of a valley surrounded by hills a couple of miles off the coast. The wind was coming in from the sea and picking up pace as it rolled down the valley and was directly head on as I was bowling. It was unrelenting with stronger gusts. Just ridiculous. I like to arrive an hour early to assess the conditions and get myself rested after the drive in time for the game. So I went out to the middle before the game with the vice captain, bowled a few deliveries from each end. With the wind behind me the ball was carrying through near to the boundary. Bowling into the wind, I could barely get it off the square. I told the vice captain there was no way I could bowl from that end but the message didn't get passed on, or the captain just wasn't listening.

Looking back I should have ditched my leg spin and bowled my crappy slow medium to keep the score down, or I should have flat out refused to bowl from that end. It was obvious after a few deliveries it wasn't going to work. Ah well, shit happens.

Ashes has been scintillating. Would be great if it was 2-2 heading to the Oval, that's what the fans and the series deserve.

Both my matches cancelled this weekend. I'm grateful for a week off.

Yeah, I'm actually hoping England win this one so it can be 2-2 going to the final test.

Yeah, I'm actually hoping England win this one so it can be 2-2 going to the final test.

Not to be, eh.

England messed up in the first two tests and left themselves too much to do.

The decisions to declare under 400, with no threat of rain, and then bat on to nearly 600 knowing there was two days of rain coming are inexplicable. Not that I think it would have made any difference in this test, but I still think it was wrong and that Stokes was overindulging his mate Bairstow

I'm not one of the Bairstow haters - I like the guy a lot and he's worth his place. However, I don't think his century served much of a purpose other than to lift his ego. If it was man-management from Stokes, it was the wrong time and place.

Played 2 40 over games back to back this weekend. The league game on Saturday was beleaguered by rain pretty much 5/6ths of the game, we had a really weak side with 10 players against a strong side. We had hardly any batting again and our key batter was playing with an injured foot and after hitting a big six in his first over was bowled the next ball, we only managed 75 and opposition knocked that off in 10 overs winning by 9 wickets. I took a wicket with my flippers, but didn't bowl or field that well as I tweaked my lower back when batting at number 11.

By the time I got home I was considering messaging the captain of the Sunday game to say I wouldn’t be able to play, but thought I’ll have a hot bath and see how it feels in the morning. Woke up and it felt better, but was still sketchy and thought, maybe I’ll play and just field and bat at 11, so as to not let them down. I took some Ibroprofen and that seemed to help and thought I’d do the same at 20 overs – I might actually get to bowl? At this point I was still in two minds whether to call the captain and say If you’ve got someone that wants to play that wasn’t selected give them my place. I didn’t.

Got there and there was a first XI player watching and I asked him whether he wanted to play explaining the situation with my back, he didn’t want to, so I decided to play and in the meantime noticed that they were filming the game for Youtube.

27 overs in and the oppo were 128 for 3 with their international player an Aussie having retired on 50 off of 46 balls. I’d been okay running around the field and my back didn’t feel too bad and I was thrown the ball. I’d thought “Crap – watch this on Youtube, I’ll make a complete dick of myself. Watch what happens my spell starts -5.27.44 and the Aussie international comes back on for my penultimate over.

Do you lot struggle to get left handers out at all?

I find it ridiculously easier to bowl my off spin to left handers than right handers. Most of my dismissals bowling to right handers come from caught and bowleds, caught at mid on or caught at cow corner. I don’t see how I’m supposed to get the classic bowled through the gate or LBW. But when I’m bowling to lefties I beat the edge constantly, would get a lot of bowleds on turf, my arm ball cramps them up and often gets the inside edge, and I pretty much never get middled.

Might be because I bowl on syntho though.

Last edited:
Wow Dave, well done! Clutch bowling performance - I called it, knew you'd get a five fa soon enough! It looked like you were bowling mostly flippers, right? Most of your wickets were bowled too so that's pretty good.
Exclusively Flippers, only tossed up one leggies to the Aussie bloke towards the end and it was too full and he it on the full leg-side thankfully he didn't get all of it and it went for 1 I think. Yeah had to happen at some point! The captain said he thought I was bowling a little faster than normal.

I find it ridiculously easier to bowl my off spin to left handers than right handers. Most of my dismissals bowling to right handers come from caught and bowleds, caught at mid on or caught at cow corner. I don’t see how I’m supposed to get the classic bowled through the gate or LBW. But when I’m bowling to lefties a beat the edge constantly, would get a lot of bowleds on turf, my arm ball cramps them up and often gets the inside edge, and I pretty much never get middled.

Thankfully I don't see that many of them and I just try and bowl full and at the leg stump and try and follow them if they step back to try and hit through their off-side. But I must admit they're quite difficult to bowl at I feel.

I find it ridiculously easier to bowl my off spin to left handers than right handers. Most of my dismissals bowling to right handers come from caught and bowleds, caught at mid on or caught at cow corner. I don’t see how I’m supposed to get the classic bowled through the gate or LBW. But when I’m bowling to lefties I beat the edge constantly, would get a lot of bowleds on turf, my arm ball cramps them up and often gets the inside edge, and I pretty much never get middled.

I actually feel the only thing that makes it harder for me is the accuracy, I'm a little less accurate to lefties which is only natural. But the thing is if I get it right I find it easier to get them out because if they miss, I hit, whereas if a righthander misses a legbreak it will most likely miss off stump. And additionally the leftie also accentuates the danger of the wrongun.

Just had a look on the Playcricket website here in the UK where all your data gets collated. Well happy with that, I don't think I've ever been so high! Nice too that I've been given so many overs as well. The bloke below me is the one I'd like to beat - Tony, he's my mate and we've bowled together in the 4th XI before over a couple of years. He's a really good bowler as you can see by his strike rate and average. Got to try and build on my success now if possible.
Stats 25th July 2023.jpg

Back