Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Three)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Three)

Jim2109;395595 said:
had indoor nets again last night (theres one more session next week before the outdoor season begins), having bowled for 2 hours or so on Sunday. i was still aching from that, so didnt expect too much from myself.

i bowled pretty well, my new action is definitely way more consistent. and unlike before, if im struggling with wides its easy to reel it back in again, as the arms are doing all the work and are much easier to take control of. i bowled an average match performance i reckon, and my bowling didnt go off, i was still bowling well at the end. it was consistent and controlled, but not hugely aggressive. but at the same time, i wasnt bowling balls 6 feet wide or gifting lots of runs. theres definitely room for improvement against batsmen, but im almost there now. compared to last year its a night and day improvement.

also, my zooter is finally a genuinely match-worthy delivery. i can pretty much land it on demand now, and it had every batsman i used it against in trouble. they played for turn (which i now acheive on 95% of deliveries, albeit only about 15-20% turn big) off a ball that looked near enough identical to a leg break. and then it stayed low and straight on them. plenty of opportunities for LBW and bowled.

my batting methodology took a bit of a knock though. i batted against 2 proper leg spinners last night, both of whom were turning it miles every ball, but landing it short. it was easy to rock onto the back foot, but cutting a ball that is turning 2+ feet on you is hard! the only method then is to get to the pitch of the ball, which has its inherent dangers (stumping). i need to work on getting my feet more nimble, im way too heavy footed at present, and i need to work on this for my bowling as well. whenever they pitched it full on that "ideal" length that coaches teach, i swept them easily. i love the fuller ball, the harder ball to play is the really short one that you cant get to the pitch of (which would normally be a back foot shot).

You're lucky to have a couple of other Leggies at your club, what are they like - do they share your enthusiasm for the art, do they have variations and are they willing to impart advice?

someblokecalleddave;395597 said:
You're lucky to have a couple of other Leggies at your club, what are they like - do they share your enthusiasm for the art, do they have variations and are they willing to impart advice?

i dont think myself so lucky. id rather be the only leggie because then the awe of the leg spinners would be greater, and not split 3 ways lol.

there are actually 4 leg spinners at the club in total. one of them doesnt show that regularly. the 2 that do are both youngsters (about 16 at a guess). so they dont really have any insight into how they bowl, they just bowl and thats how it comes out. i sometimes offer advice, but mostly we all just go about our own bowling. the full time leggie and me discuss bowling and tactics sometimes, but thats about it.

one of them is a seam bowler and opening batsman that bowls leg spin for fun and when hes too injured to bowl fast. hes pretty good though, but his only variation is an arm ball thats easy to read but still tricky to play because its on you so fast. this guy is also an amazing batsman, one of the best at the club, and probably the most likely player to make it to county level.

the other guy is a full time leg spinner that can bat a bit. he bowls pace very occasionally, but leg spin is what he does. he was the 2nd highest wicket taker at the club last season. hes already suffered and recovered from googly syndrome, and you can see it in his action. but his leg break is excellent and turns consistently big. i think he lacks control of the seam angle, e.g. he turns it big or not at all, he cant vary the overspin. and this causes him issues because he always beats the outside edge, but never gets wickets from it. he reckons most of his wickets come from caught in the field or stumped. he got me stumped in a 1's v 2's friendly last season! he does however have an awesome wrong'un that he can bowl on demand but never practises. he also has a top spinner. ive seen him bowl arm balls as well, but he doesnt have a back spinner as such. ive also seen him try to bowl Murali off-spinners. ive tried as well, but neither of us has had any luck so far as i can tell.

the guy that hardly shows up has only shown up once in the whole time ive been playing there. he bowls solid line and length with subtle turn and occasionally a biggun. hes a more negative bowler, but he plugs away and forces errors. hes also an excellent batsman, i think he may even be a first XI batsman that bowls leg spin part time.

if i was the only leggie at the club i reckon regular 2nd XI would be quite easily accomplishable this year. the problem ive got is that there are 3 other leggies, all of whom are more consistent than me, but none of whom can do as much with the ball as i can. but the club seems to revolve around consistent bowling, and batting. so as an inconsistent leggie that doesnt bat well, im always going to struggle. the other guys get regular comments about how well they are bowling, but they are mostly bowling very negative lines and lengths. it seems that dot balls are rewarded, whilst cherries arent. i can bowl some absolute corkers (big drift and turn from outside leg to beat the outside edge) and people dont even notice. batsmen sometimes comment when they are leaving the net, but the other bowlers just dont seem to pay any attention at all. and batsmen hate facing me because i dont just pitch the ball on off stump for them all day long. all they want is batting practice against easy bowling, and they dont appreciate me bowling outside leg all the time because they cant drive me.

im going to see how the opportunities go for the first few matches, and if im not getting a look in then il move somewhere else.

Gents - seeking some feedback from you all.

As you know the wrist spin element of the site has carved a pretty interesting niche for itself and attracts a decent amount of traffic. How would you feel if spin bowling was given its own sub forum?

Sounds promising - so in the sub-forum we could break it up into smaller more specific sub-threads.......
wrong uns
Leg Breaks
Sliders
Flippers

etc?

Another point that we discussed a few weeks back, was whether we'd get more traffic if the next time we re-incarnated the forum we called it Leg-spin rather than Wrist-Spin, as the Wrist Spin description is possibly a bit obscure?

You could have that or whatever you want. We could call the forum 'Leg Spin' add in some appropriate keywords etc and then you guys could add whatever threads you wanted.

I would also be open to giving one of the regulars a mod role so they could move, merge, edit, remove threads etc if needed. I glance in here from time to time but I always think that moderation is best done by those that actually use the area.

Shahbaz;395547 said:
Alternatively, a 'flying saucer' kind of ball, with the seam parallel to the pitch, may have a similar effect, though it could be hard to bowl.

Yeah the "old flying saucer" also known as the "discus ball". Better kept in the backyard , except in extreme circumstances. Like when you have 0/350 against your name and you have only been on for 5 overs.

What sort of surface are you bowling on shabaz ?

Generally synthetic. Incidentally, having a ball for when you get hit for 70 per over does sound like a very useful precaution.

Shahbaz;395680 said:
. Incidentally, having a ball for when you get hit for 70 per over does sound like a very useful precaution.

Only jokin' mate, although mark nicholson and tony grieg went for worse figures on the billy birmingham boned tests of 2006! Grieg did get a wicket in bizarre circumstances though.

That flying saucer ball from a legspinner ,if by which you mean a very roundarm delivery, I'm all for it. Takes a bit of practise but can come in handy.

mas cambios;395640 said:
Gents - seeking some feedback from you all.

As you know the wrist spin element of the site has carved a pretty interesting niche for itself and attracts a decent amount of traffic. How would you feel if spin bowling was given its own sub forum?

having a dedicated leg spin forum would be excellent. rather than having the giant threads which are extremely hard to navigate for any newcomers (it would take a month just to read them!!) we could start multiple smaller threads on more specific subjects.

sounds like a great idea.

Jim2109;395687 said:
having a dedicated leg spin forum would be excellent. rather than having the giant threads which are extremely hard to navigate for any newcomers (it would take a month just to read them!!) we could start multiple smaller threads on more specific subjects.

sounds like a great idea.

Maybe I should put myself up as a candidate for 'Moderator'? Are there any other prospective candidates?

Im in. I have never used internet blogs or forums and must admit at first it was hard to find my way around

I'm definitely all for the sub-forum idea. Only luck brought me upon this thread today, I would love to read it but at over 3000 posts combined in one continuous line is way too hard to follow, especially for a non leg spinner myself.

Dave would be an excellent mod for this I think.

Sounds like a few are in favour, so I have little problem in making it happen.

If someone would like to mod then that would be great but not essential. I don't really think there will be much need for true moderation as such, more a case of moving, closing, sticking, editing and merging threads. General housekeeping really!

Seems like I'm the only candidate and as Boris has nominated me and there's no objections I'm the bloke for the job?
Mas, you just need to let me know what my job role is, who I'm answerable to, how many weeks holiday I get, if there's a share scheme or other incentives, the hours, how much notice I need to give you when I leave and of course how much I'll be paid?!

someblokecalleddave;395733 said:
Seems like I'm the only candidate and as Boris has nominated me and there's no objections I'm the bloke for the job?
Mas, you just need to let me know what my job role is, who I'm answerable to, how many weeks holiday I get, if there's a share scheme or other incentives, the hours, how much notice I need to give you when I leave and of course how much I'll be paid?!

Cor blimey! Where do I start? Would you like a company house or car? :eek:

Seriously, check your pm but please keep the offer private, don't want everyone knowing that we pay £20 per hour!

6 months ago everyone was looking for a legspinner. Three young blokes have put their hands up. Steve Smith, Cameron Boyce and Adam Zampa. They are all going to be around for a while i reckon. I hope they dont get in each others way.

macca;395833 said:
6 months ago everyone was looking for a legspinner. Three young blokes have put their hands up. Steve Smith, Cameron Boyce and Adam Zampa. They are all going to be around for a while i reckon. I hope they dont get in each others way.

Let's hope that none of them end up in the situation that Stuart McGill found himself in. Any of them going to be around for the Ashes do you reckon?

mas cambios;395718 said:
Sounds like a few are in favour, so I have little problem in making it happen.

If someone would like to mod then that would be great but not essential. I don't really think there will be much need for true moderation as such, more a case of moving, closing, sticking, editing and merging threads. General housekeeping really!

Looks like Mas is going to set this up in the 'Tips, drills and advice' section and will be probably entitled 'Spin-Bowling' and will therefore incorporate the other stuff as well as Leg-spinning. What we'll do then is have threads breaking up all our different variations...

Leg Break bowling - The Wrong Un - Bowling conventional Flippers - Off-spinning Flipper - Top-Spinning Flipper - The Slider - Leg-Spinning in nets - The Big Leg- break - etc.

Open to suggestion as to names. Spin Bowling is one option, 'leg spin, wrist spin, finger and off spin' is another. Any others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back