Australia in South Africa

Re: Australia in South Africa

Well! ;)

The Proteas' surge towards pre-eminence - "We want to create a dynasty," says coach Mickey Arthur - will take another twist when Pakistan-born Imran Tahir becomes eligible for his adopted country after a four-year wait since marrying a South African woman.

He's a prodigious turner of the ball, and Arthur, admitting wrist spin is the one missing link in his otherwise powerful unit, can rush Tahir into the international arena during Australia's tour of the Rainbow Nation. More immediately, he will represent the South African Board President's XI against the tourists in Potchefstroom from Friday.

"He will give us an option we've never really had," Arthur said. "He's a high-quality leg spinner. I'm excited about having him with us. If you look at our team, probably the one component that has been missing all the way through has been this kind of bowler. He's gone through all the processes, he's been playing domestically here for about three years, he married a South African girl, and he's about to become a naturalised South African. He's going to be an invaluable contributor.

"Australia have had Shane Warne, Stuart MacGill, but we've never had that. In the right conditions, it will be a whole new domain for us."

Tahir, 29, has 307 first-class wickets at 24.88. He was on the verge of Test selection in 2005 when he represented Pakistan A, but had to reject Pakistan selection for four years before South Africa could get their hands on him.

Proteas unmask their Warnie - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au

Interesting...As has been mentioned it will add another dimension the this South Africa machine.

Those who follow South African domestic cricket would know Imran Tahir is the most effective spin bowler going around.

I for one am excited at the prospect of a leg spinner part of the South African bowling attack.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;327076 said:
Good news for SA i guess, but really, what link does he have to SA other then the fact he married a SA women?

None. He has played domestic cricket in South Africa for the past four years and has now met the qualification requirements needed for him to play for South Africa. It is the exact same thing Kevin Pietersen did in order to play for England. Paul Harris might face some stiff competition for the spinners role this year if Tahir keeps improving. He has a pretty impressive first-class record.

If SA bring in Imran Tahir then it could solve their biggest weakness. The guy is a quality spinner and you'd have thought he'd easily push Harris aside for the spin spot.

Actually...i've changed my mind.
I think Australias batsmen will find some form and their bowlers to keep up the good form.
Look out for P.Hughes.

Australia are getting creamed in the practice match at the moment.
SABP XI 72/1 (13.0 ov)
Hilfy the only wicket taker.

Interesting to see the team:

RT Ponting, SM Katich, PJ Hughes, BJ Haddin, MJ North, AB McDonald, PM Siddle, MG Johnson, BE McGain, BW Hilfenhaus, DE Bollinger.

I'd say we bat like this:

Katich
Hughes
Ponting*
North
Haddin+
McDonald
Johnson
Siddle
McGain
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

Good to see both McDonald and North playing as well as all 5 bowlers.

Nice lineup Mousey, playing Johnson as almost an all rounder could be risky but efficient.

breeno;327608 said:
Nice lineup Mousey, playing Johnson as almost an all rounder could be risky but efficient.

Yeah, that's good to see too. With this line-up they see the contrast between North and McDonald, McDonald and Johnson, and Bollinger and Hilfenhaus.

Mousey;327611 said:
Yeah, that's good to see too. With this line-up they see the contrast between North and McDonald, McDonald and Johnson, and Bollinger and Hilfenhaus.

no one to contrast siddle with :cool:

Well once Clarke couldnt play then North and McDonald were always both going to get a game

Australia is crazy though if they go into the 1st test with the 4 pace bowlers and North as the spinner

Back