Sunday August 14 Hambamtota D/N
Tuesday August 16 Hambamtota D/N
Saturday August 20 Colombo
Monday August 22 Colombo

3 Tests

Wednesday August 31 Galle
Thursday September 8 Kandy
Friday September 16 Colombo

I missed the two T20 games on the weekend but not a great effort to lose the 2nd game from needing 88 of 87 balls with 10 wickets in hand in a run chase.

Yeah was pretty poor. Don't rate Cameron White as much of a captain either, been very ordinary so far.

Good win in the one-dayer though, Johnson starring with six wickets and then Watson, Clarke and Ponting all hitting 50's.

2 - 1 now, these days it's almost like no Watson, no Australia. Would also love someone to tell us what the point of still playing Dave Hussey is.

Yeah, Clarke moaning about the top order really made me laugh. No Watson, no Australia and the skipper basically admitted it.

David Hussey is in the team as he can bowl spin, but the problem is he's at 6 and he sure as hell can't play it.

2 - 1 now, these days it's almost like no Watson, no Australia. Would also love someone to tell us what the point of still playing Dave Hussey is.

Bowls garbage and still get blokes like Dilshan and Sangakkara out. :D

I just reckon it's silly to have 3 batsmen that are very unlikely to be in the next World Cup in the same side. I'm fine with Ricky Ponting and Michael Hussey because they are absolute champions and they would provide guidance through the transition but what is the point of D.Hussey when he's 34 and been pretty average at best?

Great to see a spinner actually doing well for Australia, Doherty did well. I say, forget anyone else and just concentrate on nurturing Doherty into being a permanent and keep Steve Smith and Nathan Hauritz as back up spinners. Good to see Brett Lee back to some of this good form, well done Australia.

David Hussey looks worse against spin every time he faces up. How has he got to the age of 34 with a first class record like his without being able to play even half-decent spin bowlers? I've never seen him play well for Aus OD team against slow bowlers with some ability. Curiouser and curiouser.

Nice to see Marsh relaxing enough to use his feet and the crease properly. Lovely to watch when he's on.

Massive collapse by Australia to lose their last 5 wickets for 1 run including a Malinga hattrick :oops: Will be tough to defend a total of only 211 now.

Australia lose the game but still win the series 3-2, not a bad effort certainly surprised me. Pattinson looks like a decent bowler.

Cricinfo preview:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-australia-2011/content/story/530381.html

Importantly, the Australians have now had a good look at Ajantha Mendis, whose mysteries they slowly began to understand over the course of the series. By the end of the ODIs, Australia's batsmen had worked out ways to cope with him, even if not all were reading his variations. However, handling Mendis over five days is a different proposition, especially on a pitch expected to turn from the first day. Watching the ball out of his hand and carefully trying to detect his subtle changes, over and over again, for every delivery in a long spell, requires supreme concentration. The Australians will find it draining.

Australia: Watson, Hughes, Ponting, Clarke (c), Hussey, Khawaja, Haddin, Johnson, Harris, Copeland, Lyon.
Sri Lanka: Dilshan (c), Paranavitana, Sangakkara, M Jayawardene, Samaraweera, Mathews, P Jayawardene, Herath, Randiv, Lakmal, Welegedara.

Australian captain Michael Clarke has won the toss and chosen to bat as he assumes the full-time Test leadership in today's first Test against Sri Lanka.
Heavy overnight rain threatened to significantly shorten the opening day's play at the oceanside Galle International Stadium the weather has cleared and play was due to get underway at 11am local time (3.30pm Australian time).

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...ects-to-bat-in-first-test-20110831-1jlg7.html

Nice first ball from Herath to get Watson, spin looking like it will be key.

edit - Hughes caught behind to Lakmal fending a lifting short ball, a fair start from Sri Lanka.

Lost Clarke for 23 and Punter for a more respectable 44. 4/118 at drinks, 2nd session. Hussey going along slowly but surely, probably what AUs needs right now, things are not looking brilliant.
Good chance for Khawaja to prove he really belongs. We need a solid innings from him. Hope he can deliver.

Herath is doing the bulk of the damage, so looking to Lyon to try and produce similar on a spinners deck. Unfortunately, with the demise of Katich, a very decent back-up spinning option was removed.

Haddin caught trying to work Randiv around the corner, 6 for 206.

A bit disappointing that so far everyone apart from Hughes have got a start at least getting to 20 with only Hussy reaching 50+.

Hussey's looking pretty good though (70no as I type). Hopefully he can hold the tale together once Johnson gets out. But yeah, it is a bit of a worry that not many will really make themselves count.

8/250, Hussey 74 not out, Copeland on 12. Lakmal and Herath have three wickets each.

Pretty poor batting effort so far, Ponting looked good but got himself out. Hussey has held the side together again.

Bah, Copeland out for 12. 9/251, Lyon in. Surprised he's even playing to be honest, I thought they'd pick Michael Beer.

Back