Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

Re: Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

Ljp86;402860 said:
And that's that, Tait gets rid of Swann and Australia win the final game. However, England win the series 3-2 having won the first three games in close encounters but Australia have thrashed England in the final two matches. Perhaps a tail of taking too long for the Australian machine to get going.

The batting hurt us in the matches. Wasn't it a surprise to see such impetus from the powerplay onwards in this match? Makes such a difference with 2 players looking to go after the bowling instead of one player having to do it all. Nice to see Marshy showing proper aggression and with those nice shots of his. He has been unneccessarily tentative for Australia for a long time. I hope this is the start of something different for him as he is really nice to watch.

Why was MJ replaced with a youngster when Nannes was bowling really well for Notts in England? Taity was bowling like crap for Glamorgan but even so, he was far too good for the English batsmen. McKay is going to be lucky to get a chance again. They obviously had no faith in him at all (rightly) by replacing Hauritz with Tait and picking him straight away.

Re: Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

No suprise to see that Ryan Harris has broken down again, been sent home and will miss the Pakistan series, was always a risk with a player with his history and lack of cricket

Beeswax;402876 said:
The batting hurt us in the matches. Wasn't it a surprise to see such impetus from the powerplay onwards in this match? Makes such a difference with 2 players looking to go after the bowling instead of one player having to do it all. Nice to see Marshy showing proper aggression and with those nice shots of his. He has been unneccessarily tentative for Australia for a long time. I hope this is the start of something different for him as he is really nice to watch.

Why was MJ replaced with a youngster when Nannes was bowling really well for Notts in England? Taity was bowling like crap for Glamorgan but even so, he was far too good for the English batsmen. McKay is going to be lucky to get a chance again. They obviously had no faith in him at all (rightly) by replacing Hauritz with Tait and picking him straight away.

Yeah, that left me puzzled a bit as well. I suppose Nannes is on the wrong side of 30 so that may have counted against him.

Agreed on Marsh, he should have been in the team sooner. Australia did look a a lot better when both players were on the attack instead of just one. Tim Paine didn't do himself any favours in this series in my opinion, just too slow.

Ljp86;402899 said:
Yeah, that left me puzzled a bit as well. I suppose Nannes is on the wrong side of 30 so that may have counted against him.

Agreed on Marsh, he should have been in the team sooner. Australia did look a a lot better when both players were on the attack instead of just one. Tim Paine didn't do himself any favours in this series in my opinion, just too slow.

He did Brad Haddin far more favours than he did himself. Anyone batting that slowly, consistently appears out of their depth in this format at international level. Luke Ronchi might have pulled up a few notches in the selectors head. The only times he has played for Australia, he has been very aggressive with the bat.

Beeswax;402900 said:
He did Brad Haddin far more favours than he did himself. Anyone batting that slowly, consistently appears out of their depth in this format at international level. Luke Ronchi might have pulled up a few notches in the selectors head. The only times he has played for Australia, he has been very aggressive with the bat.

Hopefully he has, we need another aggressor at the top of the order, Paine certainly isn't one. Can't afford to have another player of Clarke's ilk in there.

Ljp86;402901 said:
Hopefully he has, we need another aggressor at the top of the order, Paine certainly isn't one. Can't afford to have another player of Clarke's ilk in there.

I expected a lot more of Paine. It's a shame.

Ronchi was the best batsman for the Warriors last year.
I know that isn't saying much but he was very steady and he scores fast in all formats.

The trouble is, Paine appears to be designated heir apparent and you know how set these things become very quickly with Aus set-up. I'm hoping he bats well in the test matches at least.

Beeswax;402900 said:
Luke Ronchi might have pulled up a few notches in the selectors head. The only times he has played for Australia, he has been very aggressive with the bat.

Ronchi picked the worst possible time to have that massive form slump..

Kram81;402920 said:
Ronchi picked the worst possible time to have that massive form slump..

He really did. He's lost to the Aus team, so far back in the queue, even for short formats, now. Such a shame as he is a fearless batsman.

Edit: George is replacing Harris.

Beeswax;402936 said:
He really did. He's lost to the Aus team, so far back in the queue, even for short formats, now. Such a shame as he is a fearless batsman.

Edit: George is replacing Harris.

He'd only be behind Haddin and Paine, and would probably be on a par with Wade. Another good season and he'd be right up there in contention again in my opinion.

The tour is going well so far. After all, we did win the ODI series 2 zip and the 20/20's got called off, so the boys must be on top of the world. :eek:

The only problem with keepers right now is that there are too many to pick from.

Paine, Ronchi, Wade and Hartley were all some of the best batsmen in the last domestic season. They are all equally good with the gloves as well. It's really a guessing game as to who would be best. Paine should pull up alright with the bat this Test series IMO though.

Time for Pakistan vs Australia in a couple of days. Looking like a alright competition this time round with Australia in conditions that they haven't won in since 2001. The bowling was down a bit in the tour match that was far too short, but I think it will pull up alright. Bollinger, Hilfenhaus, ? and it looks like Smith is going to be in for his debut, will be interesting to see him watch. Also an interesting point to note is that of the last 4 tour matches (all in England), in 3 of them Hussey has scored a chanceless century in, as well as his last Test there. Hopefully he can prove his point that he is actually in form again this time round.

With all that is happening lately with the team, I can't follow who is in Pakistan anymore. All I know is that they have a captain that hasn't played for years making his reappearance (but is in good touch in the other forms, Afridi doing very well in ODIs especially of late), a couple of good bowlers, Kaneria being self explanatory, Umar looking much better of late and a more balanced side. They should make full use of the swing I'm going to guess, and will trouble the Aussie batsman more than anything. Hopefully someone else knows a bit more about Pakistan than I do.

Looks to be a bit better than what I would call one of the most boring summers in Australian history with those two whitewashes at home. Hopefully we will get to see some good cricket this time around too, last time was full of some mediocre stuff from all sides.

By the way, anyone see the second game between England and Bangladesh? Tigers ended up winning by five runs in what was a stellar encounter.

Ljp86;403289 said:
By the way, anyone see the second game between England and Bangladesh? Tigers ended up winning by five runs in what was a stellar encounter.

I saw some highlights. Pretty good match, well done to Bangladesh. First win against England in any format. Plus they tested them in the Test series earlier this year, they aren't the sort of team to roll over and die.

Boris;403261 said:
The only problem with keepers right now is that there are too many to pick from.

Paine, Ronchi, Wade and Hartley were all some of the best batsmen in the last domestic season. They are all equally good with the gloves as well. It's really a guessing game as to who would be best. Paine should pull up alright with the bat this Test series IMO though.

Time for Pakistan vs Australia in a couple of days. Looking like a alright competition this time round with Australia in conditions that they haven't won in since 2001. The bowling was down a bit in the tour match that was far too short, but I think it will pull up alright. Bollinger, Hilfenhaus, ? and it looks like Smith is going to be in for his debut, will be interesting to see him watch. Also an interesting point to note is that of the last 4 tour matches (all in England), in 3 of them Hussey has scored a chanceless century in, as well as his last Test there. Hopefully he can prove his point that he is actually in form again this time round.

With all that is happening lately with the team, I can't follow who is in Pakistan anymore. All I know is that they have a captain that hasn't played for years making his reappearance (but is in good touch in the other forms, Afridi doing very well in ODIs especially of late), a couple of good bowlers, Kaneria being self explanatory, Umar looking much better of late and a more balanced side. They should make full use of the swing I'm going to guess, and will trouble the Aussie batsman more than anything. Hopefully someone else knows a bit more about Pakistan than I do.

Looks to be a bit better than what I would call one of the most boring summers in Australian history with those two whitewashes at home. Hopefully we will get to see some good cricket this time around too, last time was full of some mediocre stuff from all sides.

Hussey or for that matter, Punter, being in form in a county level match means nothing. It was a second division team that was letting their kids play. And Hussey used to eat attacks like that for breakfast, lunch and dinner in England.

The bowlers should get some real help from the atmosphere. It looks like it could be raining on and off for the next few days.

Perfect conditions for the top 6 to 'perfect' their art of collapsing in a big heap.

Pakistan are getting talked up way to much for this test series. Afridi is an average test cricketer.

OhMyGodTheChips;403350 said:
Pakistan are getting talked up way to much for this test series. Afridi is an average test cricketer.

He is a better bowler than batsman that is for sure.

The chance of winning will depend on their catching which is generally hopeless at test level. Kamran Akmal is not wicket-keeping which is a big plus for them.

I live not far from Lords and the conditions should be reasonably James Anderson friendly if you know what I mean. Could make for a very good match.

Afridi's been in form lately, though. I think he will perform much better than his norm, but then again that isn't saying much considering his skill for Test cricket.

Given that Pakistan have sorted a few problems out (and caused a lot to go with it, though), the young side has matured a little and that Australia are playing in conditions where they are never really at their best, I do think this series will be closer than it was back in Australia. Saying that, though, Australia should walk all over them. If they don't then something has gone wrong, maybe I should put it.

Boris;403380 said:
Afridi's been in form lately, though. I think he will perform much better than his norm, but then again that isn't saying much considering his skill for Test cricket.

Given that Pakistan have sorted a few problems out (and caused a lot to go with it, though), the young side has matured a little and that Australia are playing in conditions where they are never really at their best, I do think this series will be closer than it was back in Australia. Saying that, though, Australia should walk all over them. If they don't then something has gone wrong, maybe I should put it.

Gee, this tour is going well.:eek:

Excellent bowling from the Pakistan team. They mostly pitched it up and let the conditions do all the work. Aamer can really get it hooping around, can't he? Such a good debut from that kid.

Punter looked pretty uncomfortable out there from the word go. I didn't see North's 3 ball innings and I'm really glad about that.

Now it's up to Mike Hussey to at least scare them a bit and keep Bolly off strike tomorrow for a few overs.

Pakistan aren't anywhere near the clear. If they post more than 350 when they bat I'll be surprised. The scores will be par come the end of the day tomorrow.

Huss has to bat quickly here, Bollinger isn't going to stay around that long.

Pakistan's number one fear isn't terrorism anymore. It must be Mike Hussey.

EDIT: Bolly out after a very defiant 28 balls, he was very solid until that yorker. Hussey on 56* and a first innings total of 253. Below par, but this will be a low scoring match overall.

Back