Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

Re: Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

Ponting gone too! Australia 29/4.

Asif, Aamer and Gul are bowling brilliantly. This is going to be very hard to get out of now. Pakistan now have to go in for the kill, they have North whose form has been questionable, get him early or not get him at all is his style, and Hussey whose form has gotten better, but by no means is good.

Re: Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

Hussey goes as well. Gul again. 45/5

What pressure this puts on the man out of form and the two debutants in Smith and Paine.

Best fast bowling I've seen for a long time.

Ordinary shot from North.

Well Smith's obviously trying to do things the only way he knows how, hit his way out of it.

He and Paine have a lot to do.

Boris;403830 said:
Well Smith's obviously trying to do things the only way he knows how, hit his way out of it.

He and Paine have a lot to do.

The bowling from Pakistan was something else. Seam and swinging movement. Bloody marvellous to watch.

Our boys' bowling was something else too, but not in a good way. How can Mitchell Johnson get absolutely NO movement at all when everyone else can? He wasn't even getting anything off the seam. Just nadir.

Even if Dougie was only getting movement when bowling 2 feet outside off-stump or one foot outside leg stump? Poor Tim Paine, his honeymoon is over.

Talk about gun-barrel straight. I found it kind of interesting in scientific terms, but really bloody tedious as an Aus fan.

I think Australia's bowling on Day 1 was almost worse than the batting.

Couldn't hit the same spot 2 balls in a row.

Pakistan's bowlers have shown them how to do it twice in a row now.

Worrying when Shane Watson is the leading wicket taker.

I don't care how Australia plays in this game now. I'm barracking for Pakistan for this one. Great bowling.

Pakistan were bowled out for 258, a lead of 170. Salman Butt remained Pakistan's top scorer with 45 on the first day and Imran Farhat made 43 which was also on day one. Pakistan had a real chance to bury Australia but didn't with the middle and lower order crumbling fairly quickly.

Shane Watson starred again with the ball taking 6/33 and looked like the only Australian bowler capable of causing any damage.

In reply, Australia are 2/106, trailing by 64 runs. Shane Watson and Simon Katich are the wickets to fall for 24 and 12 respectively. Ricky Ponting is 47 not out and Michael Clarke is with him on 16. Ponting also passed 12,000 test runs about five minutes ago so congratulations to Ricky on a fine achievement.

Slips Drive;403881 said:
I think Australia's bowling on Day 1 was almost worse than the batting.

Couldn't hit the same spot 2 balls in a row.

Pakistan's bowlers have shown them how to do it twice in a row now.

Worrying when Shane Watson is the leading wicket taker.

The pitch maps have been hilarious.

The Pakistan bowlers cluster theirs beautifully without much short stuff at all and ours are sort of, well somewhere on middle third of the pitch is about the best you can say. Looking at them I'm not sure how we've taken any wickets at all, as their has been no partnership bowling, far too much wide crap, too much short crap and such a range of short to half-volley stuff. We just haven't been able to exert pressure. A better batting side would have taken the Aussies to the cleaners, hosed them down and then shoved them on to a really hot wash for about a month

Shane Watson's individual pitch map is probably the only half-respectable one there.

Marcus North on very thin ice..

If Australia can scratch out another 60+ runs lead might be an outside chace.

Some handy slogging from S.Smith to score 77. 180 runs to chase for Pakistan, hopefully we'll get a close game.

Kram81;403980 said:
Marcus North on very thin ice..

Just about gone I reckon. I've defended North for long enough but he's really in poor form now. Wouldn't mind seeing Khawaja debut fairly soon.

Pakistan are in complete control, 3/140 needing only another 40 more runs to win. Australia will rue their poor batting in the first innings as it's what has cost them the game, much like Pakistan's poor effort in their first innings in the first test.

Top order is a bit of worry to be honest with the exception of Katich.

Ljp86;403993 said:
Just about gone I reckon. I've defended North for long enough but he's really in poor form now. Wouldn't mind seeing Khawaja debut fairly soon.

Pakistan are in complete control, 3/140 needing only another 40 more runs to win. Australia will rue their poor batting in the first innings as it's what has cost them the game, much like Pakistan's poor effort in their first innings in the first test.

Top order is a bit of worry to be honest with the exception of Katich.

A bit of a worry? You said it. Notice how once people are holding catches Watto suddenly isn't scoring as many runs?

Mind you, with the bowling burden he has had to carry I don't blame him for not performing with the bat up front.

North has always been the most inconsistent of players. I really doubt he has the temperament to be a long-term player for Aus. They need to bite the bullet and give a kid the kind of chances that both Hussey and North have had over the past year or so.

Honestly, I can't get that rotten shot of Punter's this morning out of my head. What the f**k was he thinking? No foot movement and just a 20/20 swipe. His head must be full of an awful lot of crap for him to do something like that in that situation.

I don't like judging Australia's batting in England. No matter how good they are rarely is it any good as soon as they step into that country.

The bowling, however, should have been much better. I think that's as good as batting is going to get over there, but the bowling should have been much better.

Very good game that one was though. That's what Test cricket is all about, the big collapse sparked by the most brilliant bowling performance seen for some time, the big never-say-die fightback, the underdog eventually coming through. Funny how the past year has been about Tests and ODIs dying, yet they are the only two forms that produce the consistent marvels. Saying that, though, Test cricket like this easily wins.

Boris;404012 said:
I don't like judging Australia's batting in England. No matter how good they are rarely is it any good as soon as they step into that country.

The bowling, however, should have been much better. I think that's as good as batting is going to get over there, but the bowling should have been much better.

Very good game that one was though. That's what Test cricket is all about, the big collapse sparked by the most brilliant bowling performance seen for some time, the big never-say-die fightback, the underdog eventually coming through. Funny how the past year has been about Tests and ODIs dying, yet they are the only two forms that produce the consistent marvels. Saying that, though, Test cricket like this easily wins.

It was a terrific test match and made for fascinating viewing from the first ball. I don't mind losing it so much as Pakistan's first up pace attack on Day One was mesmeric.

Back