Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

Re: Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

Hilfenhaus bowling far too wide and too many too short but his wicket was a good one. Bollinger bowling pies, too short and too wide and all over the place. Johnson bowling in the right areas, pity he can't swing the ball although he is moving it slightly.

Re: Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

Even if he is bowling a bit short and wide, 2/18 isn't too bad from 8 overs now. :)

yeah it's good, the way it's hooping around over there, and they aren't great batsman, he'll only have to bowl a few good ones to get wickets, gotta bowl full and straight though like they did. We might topple them for less than our score if we do that.

Pakistan all out for 148, Watson was the chief destroyer with 5/40 but proved to be a little expensive. Bollinger and Hilfenhaus took two wickets with Johnson getting the other.

Salman Butt scored 63 until he was clean ripped by a late swinging ball from Watson, Butt opened the innings but was the second last wicket to fall. Shahid Afridi made 31 off 15 balls in his usual whirlwind style but threw his wicket away in typical Afridi fashion.

Australia's second innings is already underway, they are 0/24 at the moment, 133 runs in front.

This game may only see four days of play the way things are heading.

Ljp86;403476 said:
Pakistan all out for 148, Watson was the chief destroyer with 5/40 but proved to be a little expensive. Bollinger and Hilfenhaus took two wickets with Johnson getting the other.

Salman Butt scored 63 until he was clean ripped by a late swinging ball from Watson, Butt opened the innings but was the second last wicket to fall. Shahid Afridi made 31 off 15 balls in his usual whirlwind style but threw his wicket away in typical Afridi fashion.

Australia's second innings is already underway, they are 0/24 at the moment, 133 runs in front.

This game may only see four days of play the way things are heading.

I thought Mitchell Johnson bowled mostly rather beautifully. Shame he didn't get much swing, but you can never tell when he will. he deserved a lot more wickets than he got, but considering his usual luck, I think he is more than even.

Bolly was horrid for his first session, little bit better in the second. He bowled far too short and wide. God knows why as he must have sat and watched Asif and Aamer the day before.

Hifly also too wide a fair bit of the time but at least was making them play a lot more and the wicket taking balls were rippers.

I can barely bring myself to write about Watson's fivefor. It's just too weird. I hope Pakistan feel pleased with their days work.

Especially Afridi.

Fun while it lasted, but really, as captain...

He must have felt that the ball with his name on it was coming up soon anyway so he'd have a bash while he was out there.

North picking up some wickets, brilliant catch from Katich.

edit - another one, Afridi you idiot.

Lolza, North picks up 5 wickets.

North finished with 6/55, Pakistan collapsed to be all out for 289, so Australia win by 150 runs. Steve Smith claimed three wickets in the second dig and bowled fairly well actually. Salman Butt made 92 and there were an array of players for Pakistan who scored inbetween 20 and 45 but no-one was able to go on with it.

Shahid Afridi has announced he will retire from test cricket after the match against Australia at Headingley stating he "no longer has the desire or temperament to play test cricket".

The second test begins on Wednesday.

Ljp86;403579 said:
Shahid Afridi has announced he will retire from test cricket after the match against Australia at Headingley stating he "no longer has the desire or temperament to play test cricket".

Pakistan news: Shahid Afridi to retire from Tests | Cricket News | Pakistan v Australia 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Headingley test to be Afridi's last provided he passes a fitness test. Stated that his temperament was not suited to test cricket and that the side would be better off with a younger player in his spot. I suppose his four-ball innings of two today which saw him get out slogging to mid-wicket sealed his fate.

I think he's doing a pretty noble thing, he obviously thinks he isn't good enough and is stepping aside so the Pakistan Cricket Board can build for the future rather than keep a guy who is much more suited to one-day cricket in the team. I actually think Afridi could play test cricket if he was able to curb his natural aggression and resist the temptation to try and smash everything but I guess he has realised he can't do that which is a bit of a shame.

Anyway, looks like Salman Butt will captain the side after Afridi's last game as captain but that will only occur if the England/Pakistan series goes ahead which is still down to PCB approval. Alternatively, Butt could skipper the side if Afridi isn't fit for the Headingley test.

One things for sure, the batting line-up looks a bit weak without Shoaib Malik, Younis Khan and Mohammad Yousuf in the side. Pakistan could actually be a fairly decent unit if those three were playing.

Ljp86;403594 said:
Pakistan news: Shahid Afridi to retire from Tests | Cricket News | Pakistan v Australia 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Headingley test to be Afridi's last provided he passes a fitness test. Stated that his temperament was not suited to test cricket and that the side would be better off with a younger player in his spot. I suppose his four-ball innings of two today which saw him get out slogging to mid-wicket sealed his fate.

I think he's doing a pretty noble thing, he obviously thinks he isn't good enough and is stepping aside so the Pakistan Cricket Board can build for the future rather than keep a guy who is much more suited to one-day cricket in the team. I actually think Afridi could play test cricket if he was able to curb his natural aggression and resist the temptation to try and smash everything but I guess he has realised he can't do that which is a bit of a shame.

Anyway, looks like Salman Butt will captain the side after Afridi's last game as captain but that will only occur if the England/Pakistan series goes ahead which is still down to PCB approval. Alternatively, Butt could skipper the side if Afridi isn't fit for the Headingley test.

One things for sure, the batting line-up looks a bit weak without Shoaib Malik, Younis Khan and Mohammad Yousuf in the side. Pakistan could actually be a fairly decent unit if those three were playing.

That particular three or at least two of them can barely inhabit the same city, let alone the same dressing room.

I bet Butt is looking forward to being the next head on the chopping block.

I feel like we step through the Looking Glass every time we play Pakistan. :confused:

They had some positives from this game, even though it's hard to see them. Their catching was good and they have a better bowling attack than we do. Much better really. That kid will hopefully become more consistent, then he will be a real star. Akmal didn't stuff up once from my recall with the gloves.

Pakistan just need a little bit of time and some consistency with selections and they should come along alright. The batting is the weak part, and I think they given some time they won't be too bad.

Afridi said before the game that if he was neither a good Test player or a captain he would step down from either the captaincy or Tests altogether.

His captaincy wasn't too bad until he seemed to give up a bit towards the end of each innings. Nothing really to write home about, but probably the best they have at the moment. It was his Test playing ability that he doubted, and proved that it was instead an inability. What he's done is the right thing, and shows some maturity.

I like Afridi for his respectability and responsibility off the field. I can't believe this is the same guy that beat up someone in the crowd, tampered with a pitch and bit a ball. Very odd mood swings.

North provided some laughter. He wasn't bowling too badly, but nowhere near good enough for a 6fa. Good on him, though.

Boris;403615 said:
Pakistan just need a little bit of time and some consistency with selections and they should come along alright. The batting is the weak part, and I think they given some time they won't be too bad.

Afridi said before the game that if he was neither a good Test player or a captain he would step down from either the captaincy or Tests altogether.

His captaincy wasn't too bad until he seemed to give up a bit towards the end of each innings. Nothing really to write home about, but probably the best they have at the moment. It was his Test playing ability that he doubted, and proved that it was instead an inability. What he's done is the right thing, and shows some maturity.

I like Afridi for his respectability and responsibility off the field. I can't believe this is the same guy that beat up someone in the crowd, tampered with a pitch and bit a ball. Very odd mood swings.

North provided some laughter. He wasn't bowling too badly, but nowhere near good enough for a 6fa. Good on him, though.

Afridi nominated himself to come back into the test side ages ago. PCB are stupid for even considering him. They need structure and consistency, not a new captain every series.

North's six for wasn't great, but it was good enough. A player that gets a life on the way to hundred should then be considered the same way.

OhMyGodTheChips;403628 said:
Afridi nominated himself to come back into the test side ages ago. PCB are stupid for even considering him. They need structure and consistency, not a new captain every series.

North's six for wasn't great, but it was good enough. A player that gets a life on the way to hundred should then be considered the same way.

The PCB as far as I can tell just wanted to get rid of all the old and bring in a brand new team. I think they've put together a half decent one as well. Even though it lacks the good batsmen now, these youngsters will grow into their rolls, and with any luck one of them will average 60 over 5 years in the future.

Afridi really was the only choice. Butt should now be the captain, but I wouldn't call him a captain, nor would I have picked him as first choice. But now they can start things from here.

What about Kaneria? Does he have any captaincy skills? I thought he would be on the list of probably players.

I don't see how you can consider Afridi your only choice when he is one of the most reckless players on the field and has poor decision making skills.

Afridi's out of the second test, retirement is effectively immediately after the first test. Salman Butt will captain the side for the last test against Australia and the next four against England. Butt is the fifth captain Pakistan have had since 2009.

Marcus North and Ben Hilfenhaus are in doubt for the second test. North has a stomach bug and Hilfenhaus sustained an injured shoulder in the first test. Peter George could make his debut if Hilfenhaus is not fit to play and Usman Khawaja could play in place of North if he is also deemed unfit to play.

Pakistan v Australia: Marcus North's illness adds to Australia's concerns | Cricket News | Pakistan v Australia 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Wow, Australia really are almost in second XI mode, luckily though the second XI seems better than the original first XI.

Going to be interesting seeing even more debutants if they happen to play. George could prove alright on English pitches.

Boris;403734 said:
Wow, Australia really are almost in second XI mode, luckily though the second XI seems better than the original first XI.

Going to be interesting seeing even more debutants if they happen to play. George could prove alright on English pitches.

I think I know what the first 11 is in terms of batting, but I don't know in terms of bowling. Does anyone?

Probably MJ is in there, but sometimes I think he really could do with being dropped just to get him out of his safe zone.

Geez Pakistan are bowling well here. Asif and Aamer are handing out good ball after good ball.

Watson and Katich gone, Ponting and Clarke are now doing everything they possibly can to survive.

Some light relief as Gul comes on, unless he starts bowling like Aamer was, who he is replacing.

2/27

Well Gul has accepted the challenge. Clarke bowled with the perfect ball in the situation.

Ponting and Hussey have to rebuild. This is the situation Hussey is good at recovering (or at least used to be) and Ponting can do anything. So there's hope... if you look really hard. :D

Back