Australian All-Time Test Team Draft

Re: Australian All-Time Test Team Draft

i dont want to go filling up this thread with my questions but do you think an ODI one will be done on here?
also what happens when everyone fills up there team? does the best team get decided? i'm not too familiar with this but would really like to be involved in any future ones.

Boris;348187 said:
i dont want to go filling up this thread with my questions but do you think an ODI one will be done on here?
It really depends on the interest. I'm not much interested in ODI cricket so I wouldn't participate, but I think a fair few of the guys were keen. I'd like to do a World Test Draft (either players of the last decade, or alltime), or an alltime English Test Draft.

Boris;348187 said:
also what happens when everyone fills up there team? does the best team get decided? i'm not too familiar with this but would really like to be involved in any future ones.
What happens at the end is up to the drafters... I think after this one probably not much would happen (it's mainly for our own interest). In other, more serious 'competitive' drafts I've participated in you can have a panel of judges who decide who has the best selection based on predetermined criteria.

In a couple of football drafts I've been in, the teams actually get drawn into groups for a tournament (like the World Cup or Euros). Then the judging panel decides who wins each match and with what score based on the competing teams' relative strengths and weaknesses. It's pretty crazy.

thanks heaps ceaser. i would have liked to do the test one here, but i will have to settle for an ODI draft instead. unfortunately i dont have much knowledge of other teams outside australia, an english one would be completely useless for me to do, and i'm too obsessed with australia for a world XI one and i would end up just drafting aussies :p.

i think i will just stick to fun drafts for the moment...but consider me in the next draft please!

Well, I'm heading home so I'll have to give up waiting for bundy and draft my next player. I expect to cop some stick from Eddie for this next pick, being a Victorian legend - I need a solid player for my middle order, and they don't come much more solid than...

W.W. Armstrong

Warwick_Armstrong_batting.jpg

Full name Warwick Windridge Armstrong
Born May 22, 1879, Kyneton, Victoria
Died July 13, 1947, Darling Point, Sydney, New South Wales (aged 68 years 52 days)
Major teams Australia, Victoria
Batting style Right-hand bat
Bowling style Right-arm fast-medium, Legbreak

Matches 50
Runs scored 2863
Batting average 38.68
Wickets 87
Bowling average 33.59

The 'Big Ship', at 6ft 3in and 133kg Armstrong was both literally and metaphorically a giant of the Australian game. The captain of Australia's 1921 Ashes whitewash triumph, he was a prodigious batsman and devious bowler who led his team of stars from the front. Admired by all who played with and against him, he retired after that tour after a Test career spanning 20 years.

Stats on selections thus far, by state of birth:

Code:
NSW	29	43%
VIC	16	24%
WA	8	12%
QLD	6	9%
SA	6	9%
TAS	2	3%
NT	1	1%
ACT	0	0%

Total domination by NSW and VIC. Not sure about the others, but surely WA, QLD and SA have more to offer from their stocks...

I'm surprised that Bill Ponsford hasn't been picked yet.
57722.jpg

Only phenomenal powers of concentration, a high degree of physical fitness and an insatiable appetite for runs could have sustained him through so many hours at the crease. Over Christmas in 1926, Ponsford was in especially devastating form. On the second day of Victoria's match against New South Wales at Melbourne, he dominated an opening partnership of 375 with Woodfull, and his 352, of which 334 were made in a day, contained 36 fours. It was the foundation of Victoria's 1107, still the first-class total. But in reviewing 1927-28 the gods must have deemed Ponsford guilty of hubris, after he had the temerity to amass 1013 runs in only four innings. Nemesis was soon to follow: his new world-record score of 437, made in 621 minutes against Queensland at Melbourne, was eclipsed two years later by the young Bradman's 452 not out.

Matches:29
Innings:48
Runs:2122
Average:48.22
HS:266
50's/100's:7/6

He dominated first class cricket, amassing an amazing 47 centuries and 43 half centuries.

Ashley Mallet

53075.1.jpg

Quiet, gangling, short-sighted, Ashley Mallett looked like a book-keeper at a bikers' convention in the Australian XIs of the 1970s, but his teasing finger-spin and superlative gully fielding were an important element of their success. He moved from his native Perth to Adelaide in 1967 to partake of the wisdom of Clarrie Grimmett, made the first of three tours of England the following year, then found Indian conditions to his liking. No finger-spinner has done better in Australia than his Test-best 8 for 59 against Pakistan at Adelaide in December 1972. A journalist by trade, he wrote two volumes of reminiscences, and has published biographies of Victor Trumper and his paterfamilias Grimmett.

Matches:38
Wickets:132
BBI:8/59
BBM:10/144
Average:29.84
Economy:2.36
SR:75.6
5 wicket hauls:6

1.Bill Ponsford
2.Justin Langer
3.Michael Slater
4.Mark Waugh
5.Allan Border
7.Rod Marsh
8.Alan Davidson
9.Ashley Mallet
11.Terry Alderman

Looking good boys.:D

Well I can't wait either- I was tossing up between my allrounder spot between Armstrong and this guy, but I guess my decision has been made for me! ;)

Monty Noble, takes my allrounder spot and number 6 in my batting order.

67564.jpg

During his long career, Monty Noble showed exceptional ability in every detail of the game, and by many people was regarded as the greatest all-round cricketer produced by Australia. He excelled as a batsman, bowler, fieldsman and captain, notably in placing his field to block a batsman's favourite strokes.

He had an easy graceful style as a batsman and was especially strong on the leg side. When occasion demanded it he could play with the greatest determination and restraint; his most famous effort of this kind was at the Manchester Test match in 1899, when he saved the Australians from defeat by staying in for over three hours in the first innings for a score of 60 not out, and for over five hours in the second innings for a score of 89.

His bowling was medium-pace with plenty of spin and cleverly concealed change of pace, and he was one of the earliest Australian bowlers to be successful with the swerve. He was a remarkable judge of cricket and a great captain, possibly the greatest that ever played the game.

Batting
Code:
     Mat Inn NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 6s Ct St 
Tests 42  73  7 1997 133 30.25 1 16 2 26 0

Bowling
Code:
     Mat Inn Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave  Econ  SR  5w 10 
Tests 42 71 7159 3025 121 7/17 13/77 25.00 2.53 59.1  9 2

Monty Noble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Monty Noble

Damn you, he was going to be a nifty twelfth man.

If he isn't your captain, you've wasted him and you don't deserve the pick. ;)

Damn you both :mad: :p

Armstrong was going to be my last pick but decided to get my opener sorted :( and then to lose Noble as well, my side is going to lack some batting depth

I know, had to change direction so time to complete the bowling attack with a bowler who should have played alot more test cricket but may end up making his name in another job in the test arena and nearly completes my teams off field abilities :D

Paul Reiffel

Australia

37576.jpg

Full name Paul Ronald Reiffel
Born April 19, 1966, Box Hill, Victoria
Current age 43 years 24 days
Major teams Australia, Nottinghamshire, Victoria
Nickname Pistol
Playing role Bowler
Bowling style Right-arm fast-medium
Other Umpire

Code:
      Mat Inns NO Runs HS   Ave   BF   SR  100 50 4s 6s Ct St 
Tests 35   50  14 955  79* 26.52 2042 46.76 0   6 103 0 15 0 

Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts  BBI   BBM   Ave  Econ  SR 4w 5w 10 
Tests 35   67 6403 2804   104  6/71  8/152 26.96 2.62 61.5 3  5  0

Paul Reiffel was a nagging right-arm seam bowler and a very capable lower order batsman. Throughout a career which saw him appear in many Tests and one-day internationals for his country, he was a player who distinguished himself with his ability to bowl an awkward line and length and to complement it with a capacity to cut the ball both ways off the pitch. His unstinting accuracy and control was also a key to his success. Reiffel experienced occasional problems with no-balling and was afflicted by a number of injuries that threatened to end his career at different times. But he remained an outstanding player and a highly valued member of Victorian and Australian teams for more than a decade. The laid-back Reiffel retired from international cricket after forming a part of Australia's victorious 1999 World Cup side, and from his state at the end of the 2001-02 season.

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Paul Reiffel

Completes a very fiery attack with Hughes and Reiffel steaming in and provides some much need stability to my lower order, Pistol will make a fine addition to an awesome bowling attack

Gotta be a quick reply, ive got 4 essays on the go here. will write up tomorrow or the next.

My pick is another great victorian batsman,

Keith 'stacky' Stackpole.

Team is looking like so far:

W.Lawry
K.Stackpole
G.Yallop
I.Chappell
G.Chappell (c)
-
-
R.Hogg
T. Cotter
W. O'Rielly
W. Oldfield (wk)

Not the mainstream, but an imposing line up.

Sorry about that.
This is getting tricky now.
But i'll take Norm O'Neill.
Thats of course if he's not already taken.

230px-Giffen1895.jpg

Full name: George Giffen
Born: March 27, 1859, Norwood, Adelaide, South Australia
Died: November 29, 1927, Parkside, Adelaide, South Australia (aged 68 years 247 days)
Major teams: Australia, South Australia
Batting style: Right-hand bat
Bowling style: Right-arm medium

George Giffen, born in Adelaide on March 27, 1859, died in a private hospital at his native place, after a long illness, on November 29, aged 68, thus surviving his old comrade, J. J. Lyons, a few months only. As a batsman Giffen possessed a wonderfully fine defence. He stooped a little but had a great variety of strokes with great freedom in his use of the bat, and was exceptionally strong in driving. He bowled right-hand, rather below medium-pace, with considerable spin and well-concealed change of flight and pace. He used to send down with much effect a slow ball, very high-tossed, which, seeming to be coming well up to the batsman, pitched short, and resulted in many a caught and bowled. It was expected that Giffen would have charge of the Australian team which toured England in 1886, but his merits as a leader were not commensurate with his merits as a player. Giffen first visited England in 1882 as a member of the team which beat England at the Oval by 7 runs. As the side included Spofforth, Boyle, Garrett, and Palmer--four of the finest bowlers of the time-- Giffen was overshadowed, and while they averaged l50 wickets at a cost of less than 13 runs each, he had to be content with taking thirty-two wickets for 22 runs each. Still, he had a brilliant success against the Gentlemen of England at the Oval, where he took eleven wickets for less than 10 runs each--eight in the first innings for 49 runs--and contributed largely to a memorable triumph. Nor had his batting powers at that period fully developed, but his record of 873 runs with an average of 18 was a vastly bigger thing than it would be regarded on the easy wickets of to-day. He showed a marked advance in 1884, and two years later, headed both batting and bowling averages, scoring 1,454 runs, for an average of 25, and taking 162 wickets for 16 runs each. Giffen declined invitation to join the Australian teams of 1888 and 1890, but was a member of the side captained by Blackham in 1893, and also of that led by Harry Trott in 1896. In these years, however, though he came out with a fair record for the whole of each tour, he accomplished little in the representative games. Giffen, indeed, in England scarcely reproduced his Australian form, which was of so high a class that he used to be referred to as the W. G. Grace of Australia. As a member of the five teams mentioned he visited the United States three times, New Zealand twice, and Canada once, besides taking part in two small games in Ceylon.

Batting & Fielding Averages

Code:
Mat   Inns   NO   Runs   HS   Ave   100   50   6s   Ct St     
  Tests   31   53   0   1238   161   23.35   1   6   1   24   0    
  First-class   251   421   23   11758   271   29.54   18   53   194   0

Bowling Averages

Code:
Mat   Inns   Balls   Runs   Wkts   BBI   BBM   Ave   Econ   SR   4w   5w   10      
Tests   31   43   6391   2791   103   7/117   10/160   27.09   2.62   62.0   7   7   1     
irst-class   251  46916   21785   1022   10/66     21.31   2.78   45.9    95   30

George Giffen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=348394

I'm going to go with Jack Gregory. He didn;t take as many wickets as he probably should have but he was one of the qucikest of all time. Also averaged 36 with the bat, which slots him in nicely to the number 8 position.

My side currently sits
Bill Ponsford
Mark Taylor
Charles McCartney

Stan McCabe
Doug Walters
Brad Haddin
Jack Gregory
Shane Warne
Jason Gillespie
Dennis Lillee

Good luck against that bowling attack

Well, it's been 48hrs since ants14 posted, so here's my pick. I'll PM Doccaau and Bundy along with el-cap to remind them. I draft one of Australia's greatest offspinners, to share the spinning duties with Bill Johnston.

H. Trumble

1900_05b.jpg

Full name Hugh Trumble
Born May 12, 1867, Abbotsford, Melbourne, Victoria
Died August 14, 1938, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Victoria (aged 71 years 94 days)
Major teams Australia, Victoria
Bowling style Right-arm offbreak

Matches 32
Runs scored 851
Batting average 19.79
Wickets 141
Bowling average 21.78

A magnificent bowler in his own right, Hugh Trumble was also a solid contributor with the bat to make him one of the greatest allrounders of cricket's Golden Age. At an imposing 6'4", and with uncommonly long fingers, he was able to bowl offspinners which not only turned with venom, but were impeccably placed and delivered at true medium pace. He was renowned for being able to bowl a virtually unidentifiable slower ball, and when called upon could extract significant swing with the new ball.

An excellent slips fielder and reliable batsman, he contributed in all facets to the team on the field - and with his renowned sense of humour, amiability and penchant for practical jokes, by all accounts off it as well.

Back