Australian All-Time Test Team Draft

Re: Australian All-Time Test Team Draft

My next choice is Alan Davidson.:)
cricket_davidson.jpg

Like his close friend and comrade Richie Benaud, Alan Davidson suddenly translated potential into performance when Australia toured South Africa in 1957-58. A left-arm paceman with a model approach and an economical action - summed up in the title of his autobiography Fifteen Paces - he took 72 wickets and scored four centuries on the trip. For the next five years, he would be the most menacing new-ball bowler of his day, not to mention a dangerous striker in the lower-middle order, and a versatile fielder at home in all positions. A martyr to injuries real and imagined, some of his best performances were reserved for moments when he seemed down and out: he took a broken finger into the 1960 Tied Test, and a bad back into the Ridge Test at Lord's the following year, yet made telling contributions to both.

He was a freak baller back then taking 186 wickets at an average of 20.53 with an economy of 1.97.He took 14 5 wicket hauls and twice taking 10 wickets or more in a game.

I had :( Running out of good bowlers

I started off with a large list of about 10 batsmen, 10 or so bowlers and a few spinners, now down to 4 bats, half a dozen bowlers and 1 spinner

I just hope no one steals my keeper

Still plenty of players remaining. Do you research and you'll find some gems. ;)

distributer of pain;344178 said:
do you guys think this thread is working ? i think the word game thread is more interesting. is there something im missing ??
Fuck off then.

I'm not too worried about my bowlers. Starting to get a little conflicted about who to draft though. I think I'll probably miss a couple soon. But right now my picks for the middle order are drying up, so I draft...

R.N. Harvey

Neil_harvey.jpg

Full name Robert Neil Harvey
Born October 8, 1928, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Victoria
Major teams Australia, New South Wales, Victoria
Batting style Left-hand bat
Bowling style Right-arm offbreak

Matches 79
Runs scored 6149
Batting average 48.41
Wickets 3
Bowling average 40.00

Every team needs a pillar in the middle order to build their innings around. Neil Harvey is that man for my team. He was not the most prolific runscorer in Australian history, nor was he the most flashy. But one thing that could be counted on when he walked out to bat, no matter the state of the match, is that he would occupy the crease and ensure the total steadily accumulated off his bat and the bat of his partner.

Attacking without being reckless, he was a constant learner. On his first tour of South Africa he suffered from spin bowling as a weakness. On his departure he focused with an unheard of tenacity on mastering the play of spin, to the point where he became the age's greatest player of spin bowling.

At the peak of his powers he was an aggressive batsman who sold his wicket dearly to any side. In his long career, he was the foundation of countless Test wins.

Ill start from the top, a man who is best know for his commentary but was a fine batsman and leader back in the day.

The pigeon enthusiast William Morris Lawry.

Full name William Morris Lawry
Born February 11, 1937, Thornbury, Melbourne, Victoria
Current age 72 years 58 days
Major teams Australia, Victoria
Batting style Left-hand bat
Bowling style Left-arm medium

Tests - 67
Runs - 5234
Average - 47.15

William 'Bill' Lawry was the rock at the top of the innings for the best part of a decade, standing up to the likes of Trueman and Stathman in the ashes of '61. A batsman of elegance as well as courage, carrying his bat twice in tests for australia.

An Australian captain with purpose and a wealth of knowledge for the game, and playing amongst the greats such as Sir G.Sobers, G.Pollock and R. Benaud would've only helped this along.

Not quite my captain, but the guy I want walking out when the toss is won and batting first on a greentop in England, or a express highway at the WACA.
054524.jpg

Sorry AB... the entries were actually capped at 8 for this draft, to ensure that there were enough top-drawer players to go around. Maybe the next one that's run you could be involved in?

Unless there's someone else like Pav who was looking to drop out and would like you to replace them?

Caeser;344242 said:
Sorry AB... the entries were actually capped at 8 for this draft, to ensure that there were enough top-drawer players to go around. Maybe the next one that's run you could be involved in?

Unless there's someone else like Pav who was looking to drop out and would like you to replace them?
can i play ?? i pick andrew symmonds 11 times. bradman as 12th man.

Caesar;344242 said:

He can take my spot if he wants. I'm not 100% dedicated and I have school coming up soon.

Caesar;344242 said:

Sorry mate, didn't realise there was 8 going around. but I'm happy to jump in at any time. got a couple of beauty's lined up already.

I'll know for next time :)

Caeser;344242 said:

maybe you should step aside and let some of the more senior posters have a crack, or maybe someone who knows a little bit about the game ?.

Back