City Of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2011/12

Apologies for the timing BW, but you did ask for some discussion!

Well it ain't no Dorothy Dixer, PP!

They're certainly a strong, brilliantly run club from their Firsts down.

I don't think anyone will be taking it easy against them, and certainly not us tomorrow.

If you give them an inch, I'm sure they'll take a mile.

And, for what it's worth, I'd still back them for another strong year. Still the team to beat IMHO.

OK, seeing that no-one else is courageous/stupid enough to put this up for discussion, I'll stick my head out.

Is Bentleigh Uniting still the flag certainties that everyone thought they were before Round 1?

Here's the argument against.

Round 1: Playing the Spiders at home after unveiling the flag, a win should have been a walk in the park. At first glance it looks like Uniting won comfortably, but they won by 25 runs having hit 21 off their last over to scramble to a competitive total. Plus a couple of fortuitous Spider dismissals (that's cricket - I know), the game could have gone down to the wire with the outcome on a razor's edge.

Round 2: Playing against Chelsea Heights. Again, surely a walk in the park for Uniting. But they find themselves at 5/26 with their Big Guns packed away in the shed. Ok, they brilliantly recovered to post a great score and made their point by rolling Chelsea. But still, 5/26 against the Newbies.

Round 3: Playing a great side in Elwood. Uniting would be targeting 220 plus and were on their way at 6/180, but were rolled in the end for 187 at the 67th over. The match is in Elwood's hands.

Great sides scramble their way to wins, but, for a side that would have prided themselves on a pre season that would be Second To None, with their Jurassic Park spare-no-expense budget, are Uniting showing some chinks in their top-of-the-line, fully featured Armour?

Apologies for the timing BW, but you did ask for some discussion!

PP I think the points you raise demonstrate why the BUCC should be flag favourites again not why they should not. May get rolled this week but I would not be putting my hard earned on that happening. And if it does it won’t do them any harm at all. Early season form always tough to gauge but Rd 1 they were never troubled in recording a solid win against an improving Spiders who remember rolled a pretty strong Union team in rd 2. And in rd 2 after being 5/26 they still win comfortably. Russell, Lalor, Turner, Britt Brisbane contribute 11 runs between them (can’t see that happening too often) yet they still win by 200 runs before tea on the second day. For mine the bowling may be a slight weakness. Not to the extent that opposition attacks will really get hold of them, just that they may struggle to regularly run through sides. With the battling depth they have I would back them to chase down most totals. I’m still backing them. What about you?

Clocker, we were on the receiving end to a 2 piece ball in D grade last round. We batted on and focussed on taking the 6 points first and foremost.

It would have been interesting if you had fallen short by a couple of runs. I wonder whether any appeal would have been upheld?
Just having a friendly joke Sugar not accusing the Royals of anything untoward.You have your work cut out for you tomorrow in what is surely to be an unusually hot Staurday.

PP I think the points you raise demonstrate why the BUCC should be flag favourites again not why they should not. May get rolled this week but I would not be putting my hard earned on that happening. And if it does it won’t do them any harm at all. Early season form always tough to gauge but Rd 1 they were never troubled in recording a solid win against an improving Spiders who remember rolled a pretty strong Union team in rd 2. And in rd 2 after being 5/26 they still win comfortably. Russell, Lalor, Turner, Britt Brisbane contribute 11 runs between them (can’t see that happening too often) yet they still win by 200 runs before tea on the second day. For mine the bowling may be a slight weakness. Not to the extent that opposition attacks will really get hold of them, just that they may struggle to regularly run through sides. With the battling depth they have I would back them to chase down most totals. I’m still backing them. What about you?

Is Bentleigh Uniting still the flag certainties that everyone thought they were before Round 1? I don't think so.
Is Bentleigh Uniting still the flag favourites? Yes.

I think cricket, even more than most other sports, is a mental game. There have been countless times where a team 'that looks good on paper' have failed to deliver the chockys.

I'm saying that maybe the gap has reduced. Bentleigh Uniting are obviously still a force to reckoned with, but other clubs maybe catching up slowly.

Elwood are looking strong, East Sandy and Mackie maybe back on track and other clubs have recruited well - Kingston Heath is a great example (very strong club, huge junior contingent to draw from and great recruitment this year).

I think it's going to be a different season compared to last year and a club only has to drop one vital game to lose the flag. If Uniting are perceived as beatable, then who knows for sure?

Obviously it's early days, and BU are on top of the ladder with a very healthy percentage. But it hasn't been as convincing as last year - so far.

You make some astute observations PP. I tend to agree, but I suspect that they have probably started slowly and will gather momentum as they get players back. Good teams dig deep and win the tough games and Uniting have proven this as have the juggernaut over the preceeding decade. Elwood has the best opportunity of breaking their winning streak. They should have won the 20/20 last season and hopefully they have learned from that experience. This will be a close finish tomorrow.
The Royals are batting for their season tomorrow. Lose and they will be 3 points from 3 games and they will need to 6 wins from the last 8 to make the finals.The big spending Panthers are in a similiar position and it is a must win, whilst the Cowboys can ensure that if they win they move away from the relegation zone.Centrals cant win, but the Hoops can lose it. The Juggernaut and Mackie will resume hostilities with the usual needle in their game. The Machine has a poor one day record and struggle to post big scores. They will need at least 150+ to have any chance tomorrow. The Golfers have a straight forward run chase, but they have struggled in the past with these sort of targets and can make it hard work. Be positive and play your shots Leroy and you will have early drinks.In Woolnough Cluden will win, Omega will decimate Hampton United and it was good to see the Weststars bounce back and grab 1st innings points against a woeful Cowboys outfit.No doubt they will be keen to try and get the Cowboys back in and try for the outright.Speaking of woeful the Hoops were not much better with Uniting eyeing an outright, whilst the Sharks defend a huge score and will go through the motions and win easily.It could be a quick game if Mr Manders gets going down at Aspendale. Meanwhile Army's Wanderers have done enough to win their Quiney encounter and remain undefeated.

It would have been interesting if you had fallen short by a couple of runs. I wonder whether any appeal would have been upheld?
Just having a friendly joke Sugar not accusing the Royals of anything untoward.You have your work cut out for you tomorrow in what is surely to be an unusually hot Staurday.
Great opportunity for our firsts to make an impression tomorrow, fingers crossed. As for the 2's, on a very interesting pitch, if we can get one or two big scalps out early, then hopefully we can make a game of it.

I usually do play my shots Clock, which is what normally gets me into trouble:). Hopefully the boys learnt a lesson last game and rectify it this week.

[Weststars bounce back and grab 1st innings points against a woeful Cowboys outfit.No doubt they will be keen to try and get the Cowboys back in and try for the outright.Speaking of woeful the Hoops were not much better with Uniting eyeing an outright,
#Bit harsh clock on the cowboys and hoops, it is their twos, and it is cup weekend. Woolnough has a really big divide between the haves and the have nots.

Is Bentleigh Uniting still the flag certainties that everyone thought they were before Round 1? I don't think so.
Is Bentleigh Uniting still the flag favourites? Yes.

I think cricket, even more than most other sports, is a mental game. There have been countless times where a team 'that looks good on paper' have failed to deliver the chockys.

I'm saying that maybe the gap has reduced. Bentleigh Uniting are obviously still a force to reckoned with, but other clubs maybe catching up slowly.

Elwood are looking strong, East Sandy and Mackie maybe back on track and other clubs have recruited well - Kingston Heath is a great example (very strong club, huge junior contingent to draw from and great recruitment this year).

I think it's going to be a different season compared to last year and a club only has to drop one vital game to lose the flag. If Uniting are perceived as beatable, then who knows for sure?

Obviously it's early days, and BU are on top of the ladder with a very healthy percentage. But it hasn't been as convincing as last year - so far.

PP. Enjoying the banter but how the hell can you be flag certainties before Round 1? I mean seriously. That is just plain disrespectful to the other teams. Flag favourite? Possibly. Maybe even a warm favourite but to call someone as being a certainly before a ball is even bowled is a bit much. A long, long way to go but the BUCC is travelling every bit as well as they were this time last season. A real challenge looming tomorrow and if Elwood ends the streak then well done to them. They are a good side and will be thereabouts once again.

[Weststars bounce back and grab 1st innings points against a woeful Cowboys outfit.No doubt they will be keen to try and get the Cowboys back in and try for the outright.Speaking of woeful the Hoops were not much better with Uniting eyeing an outright,
#Bit harsh clock on the cowboys and hoops, it is their twos, and it is cup weekend. Woolnough has a really big divide between the haves and the have nots.

The Hoops have been regualrly there or thereabouts in Woolnough. They have started poorly this season. Not much in the way of depth from what I can tell.The Cowboys are in the same boat i.e depth or lack of it. 46 is a pretty ordinary effort as was the 15 they made in Longy last season. I agree they will struggle thsi year as they have made a big jump, but if you intend to promote players you would prefer it from Wooly rather than Quiney.

i think that we are getting a bit excited about elwoods chances today against BUCC. 186 is not a horrible score and elwood have a horrible habit of losing when the pressure is on.

Uniting to win comfortably.

looks like being a 3 horse race in longy this year. elwood have proven again that theyre not good enough, as have mackie.
as last year itll be union, esbc, and uniting at the pointy end. as last year it SHOULD be a esbc and uniting gf. with the preview this week.
lets hope this year we get to see the gf that we all deserved to see last year

looks like being a 3 horse race in longy this year. elwood have proven again that theyre not good enough, as have mackie.
as last year itll be union, esbc, and uniting at the pointy end. as last year it SHOULD be a esbc and uniting gf. with the preview this week.

You were unlucky but Brighton had the benefit of finishing higher on the ladder. Would have thought just about every cricketer who has played the game would know that rule.

Why would Union be a force in Longy this year? They got rolled last round, their 2's, 3's and 4's haven't won a game and their fourths forfeited this round.

With the two's not putting any pressure on the one's and the Spring carnival causing a shortage of numbers, it doesn't sound like a club in a position to content. This, of course, is an outsiders point of view, but, as far as I'm concerned, they haven't proved much this season so far and you need good depth to win at the highest level.

QUASIMODO 13
IF I CAN I WILL 13
JIMMY OLSON 12
POST MORTEM 11
UNCLE MICK 11
BILLY THE KID 11
THE MENTALIST 11
PETER PARKER 11
ORDINARY BLOKE 10
BRIAN WILSON 10
BURGER 10
GOLF 9
BOTTSY 9
P'DOGS PIZZA 9
DR SQUEAK 9
CLOCKER 9
NORTHCLUBSDPP 9
BIG DUNC 6

PP. Enjoying the banter but how the hell can you be flag certainties before Round 1? I mean seriously. That is just plain disrespectful to the other teams. Flag favourite? Possibly. Maybe even a warm favourite but to call someone as being a certainly before a ball is even bowled is a bit much. A long, long way to go but the BUCC is travelling every bit as well as they were this time last season. A real challenge looming tomorrow and if Elwood ends the streak then well done to them. They are a good side and will be thereabouts once again.

I guess my point was that with Uniting's incredible success in Longy last year and throughout the grades, everyone on this forum and anyone that has anything to do with CMCA cricket would have only one answer to who they think would win the Longy 2011/12 flag - Uniting, of course.

And, yes, that's still the case, but I was just considering that, although they may serve it at High Tea during home games, Uniting may not be the Black Caviar of the CMCA this year.

PP - it seeming more and more that you've got quite the chip on your shoulder about Union. Why the beef?

Definitely no chip, I just don't think they've done anything to deserve a mention as a finals contender this year. Surely to be a finals contender you need pressure coming from below - in a word Depth.

I think that the gap is reducing between The Usual Suspects and The Rest, so the days of assuming to default results to The Usual Suspects without thinking are hopefully coming to an end. Early days though, early days.

Golfers Post Round Low 58
whilst Chelsea scale the Heights

It looks like a fantastic score, one even Tiger Woods would have loved but unfortunately for Kingston Heath they were playing cricket and the result was a firm handed cricketing spanking at the hands of Carnegie South in their Longmuir Shield clash on Saturday.
After restricting The Redbacks to a meagre 121 last week and being 0/9 overnight, day two was a rapid fire series of disasters for The Heath as they lost wickets in quick succession and were unable to tick the scoreboard over with any regularity. End result, a pitiful score of 58, a week of soul searching and a 1-2 record instead of a 2-1 record making this game effectively a 12 point game for both teams. The Redback’s miserly attack was sensational with Scott Adams (3/15), Rudy Schleiger (2/8), Scott Handley (2/19) and Glen Gallagher (2/11) all making major contributions and being deadly accurate as The Golfers laboured at the crease for 50 overs to scrape together their final tally.
There was another unexpected collapse at King George Reserve where Bentleigh ANA effectivelyabdicated, clearing the way for ChelseaHeights to post their first Longmuir Shield win. After sensible batting last week allowed The Heighters to set a target of 224, their under rated bowling line up shredded a disappointing ANA. ANA began well enough reaching 0/16 before the roof caved in as they lost 7/30 and showed very little resistance other than David Fulco who managed 32 despite a broken finger and were skittled for only 98. Luke Shelton was the destroyer continuing his impressive progress this season bagging 5/24 off 14 overs. He received great support from Erish Uthayakumar (2/22) and Shaun Ezard (2/32) as the Chelsea boys did everything right giving them cause for great celebrations.
Bentleigh Uniting and East Sandringham both went on their merry way notching up their third straight wins for the season. Uniting were impressive dismissing one of their main rivals Elwood for only 138. It was evenly poised at 4/87 at the tea break but The Woods collapsed after the interval losing 5/19 to bat themselves out of the contest. Sam “Cuppa” Tee (34) again looked good for the Beach Boys but Damian “Vita” Britt (3/38), Ash Russell (2/36) and 3 horrific run outs ensured a comfortable Uniting win. It was a disappointing chase from The Woods who looked a huge chance to end Uniting’s unbeaten run at the start of the day.
East easily accounted for Mackie in a one day contest after last weeks heavy rain left their ground unplayable on week one. There was little doubt East would take the 6 points after they posted a fine total of 7/195cc. in their turn at the crease. Brett Gibb (52) showed good signs and he and Guy Martyn (39) got things moving with a run-a-ball 95 run partnership after the loss of an early wicket and Mark Devereaux (32) and Luke Dallas (36) were ideal players to keep the score moving later in the innings, Craig Park (2/39) and Colm Kinsella (2/34) were tidy for Mackie. The Machines innings began disasterously losing big guns Dale Park, Damian Krotofil and Dean Bott cheaply to be 3/31 and out of the running but it got worse as they slumped to 7/74 before “Fabulous” Phil Verrall (31) and Chris Lavery (33) showed some resistance. Tim and John Wilson bagged two wickets apiece as did Glen Phelan and Mitch Strahan as the Mackie innings wrapped up at 133.
Le Page Park were in a must win situation and they were impressive in towelling up West Bentleigh by 70 runs. Batting first, useful contributions by their batsmen and a swashbuckling 67 from all-rounder Oshan De Silva saw them with an impressive 6/203 to defend. West opener Damian Casey (39) looked in ominous form early for The Sky-Blues but could not find a partner willing to stick with him and once he was dismissed the rest of the West bats followed quickly and the innings closed at 133. Michael Knight (3/23) and Michael Deiacovo (3/17) toyed with the bottom half of Wests batting and their lack of depth is a cause of some concern.
Brighton Union had no trouble accounting for Hampton Central. The Two Blues 114 was never gong to be enough and even though Centrals picked up a couple of early wickets Union pair Con Pothitos (52) and Darian Kuzma (45) got together in partnership continuing their impressive starts to the season and quickly killed the game off.
In Woolnough Shield, Highett West were terrific in their chase of Cluden 222 with an even team performance getting them over the line, Hampton United all-rounder Mark Bell smashed five 6’s in one over, letting the fourth ball of the over go through to the keeper (what were you thinking Belly?). Bell went on to make 86 out of his teams 180 in an innings that included eleven sixes but Omerga still got the win thanks to Glenn Beckett (73*) and Leon McGaw (62).

Back