Woolnough Shield
Moorabbin West
Omega
Hampton Central
Aspendale Gardens
E.S.B.C.
Bentleigh ANA

Round 5 Preview
Wash Ups Over Union just (Real flip of the coin, but will stick with the home side due to Brighton’s lack of depth in batting. Surely Ryan Heywood is due for some runs or a bag of wickets, however Covey will make sure it is not one way traffic at Packer Park)..

Uniting over West by plenty (If West Bentleigh salute here I will cut Mark Missen’s lawn with nail scissors! It is a case of four out all out at Victory Park and even if Uniting have a shocker they should win the Doug Quick Shield easily. Glen Lalor to ton up if Uniting bat first).

ANA over Chelsea just (This may turn out the closest contest of the round as the Heighters will not give up the points easily. I reckon the winner might come from who bats first and if Biggsy calls correctly, I will tip him to make a big score. Worry for ANA is batting out the overs and Shaun Ezard will ensure they struggle to do this).

East Sandy over Mackie just (Mackie are one of the few teams in the competition who have not been intimidated by the Juggies over the years and hence their reasonable record, however, Guy Martyn has East absolutely humming after a slow start and I expect them to show why they are joint favourites for the flag. I have a feeling this may be Cracker Devereaux’s match).

Le Page over Carnegie just (Intriguing contest this one as we have a favoured team on the rebound against a developing nation who have so far underachieved. I am going to side with the home team only because the Panthers are not nearly as bad as their ladder position would suggest. Going to make the relegation battle even more interesting after Mick De Iacovo does it with both bat and ball).

Elwood over the Heath easily (The Beach Boys play their home ground very well and Rob De Haan will rip through the Golfers top order, particularly if they just try to bat time).

Round 5 Review

4/6 (18/30 cumulative) was a fair return but I was way out in respect to the Panthers getting towelled up by Carnegie Sth. Recruit, Tom Lewis is a superb bat and one of the finds of the year and with Gihan Perera ensured the Spiders posted an imposing total that the Panthers never looked like chasing down. The big winners of the weekend were clearly The Machine who won a thriller at Mackie Rd against the Juggies. Cracker and Luke Dallas looked like getting East over the line, but an inspired spell from Col Kinsella put an end to that as Mackie claimed their biggest scalp for the year. Uniting should now be 1/5 fav for the flag after dismantling an insipid West Bentleigh team that gave precious little. An outright result in Longmuir is rare, but does indicate that the gap between the ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’ in this grade is widening. Full credit must also go to the Wash Ups who looked gone for all money early, but recovered to chase down Union’s 231. Darren Kuzma must have been a forlorn man come 6pm last Saturday as he could not have done more for the visitors. ANA won a thriller at Beazley Reserve with a concerted team effort and Elwood won easily at home to The Golfers. A superb round of Cricket, bring on Round 6.

Round 6 Preview

East over Union easily (The Juggernaut find themselves in unfamiliar mediocrity and cannot afford anymore ‘slip ups’ prior to Xmas. Hence they are my lock of the week with Guy Martyn due for a big score against a spirited but imperfect Hoops outfit).
ANA over West Bentleigh easily (The Royals have been most impressive this campaign and West’s batting has been the laughing stock of the competition. Even without Biggsy, Brad Dolman will rip through the Cowboys tail and dismiss them for no more than 150)
Carn Sth over Chelsea just (Really like the look of the Spiders’ Tom Lewis as he has an array of shots in his repertoire. However, down at Beazley he will not have all his own way and Luke Shelton is sure to trouble a few, No confidence on this one).
Mackie over The Golfers easily (Park, Bott and Kinsella will ensure Kingston Heath are never in this one and Damien Krotofil is well overdue for a big score. All going well for the Machine).
Le Page over Wash Ups just (Great win at home last week by WP, but the fact remains they were not playing one of the top teams and their bating has looked brittle on many occasions. Le Page has to win one soon and it may as well be here. Mick De Iacovo to be the difference).
Uniting over Elwood easily (Although you never know how much damage a quality spinner can do against even the best batsmen. Problem is, even if De Haan picks up three in the top order one of Manders, Russell or Lalor are likely to make a big score. Will be a high quality contest though).

Good luck to all

Quasi

BUCC knocked out of the statewide Kookaburra Cup yesterday. Lost to VTCA's South Caulfield 6/138 (cc) def BUCC 80 odd.

Run outs again the determining factor in their loss, similar to their loss in last seasons Longy GF.

Great T20 Semi between Bentleigh Uniting 186 and East Sandy 3/188. East getting home with a few balls to spare. Cracker smashing a great 104no. Shame it wasn't the GF. Hopefully next weeks game between East Sandy and Chelsea Heights will be just as good.

Current Tipsters Table after Round 6:
BILLY THE KID 2 4 6 4 5 4 25GOLF 1 5 5 5 5 4 25North Clubs don't pay 2 3 5 5 4 4 23JIMMY 3 3 5 4 4 4 23 CLOCKER 2 3 6 4 4 4 23QUASIMODO 2 2 6 4 4 4 22 Post Mortem 1 3 4 5 5 4 22
UNCLE MICK 1 3 5 4 4 5 22
IF I CAN I WILL 1 3 4 4 4 5 21Captain Who 2 1 6 3 5 3 20Peter Parker 2 2 4 3 5 4 20
Bit rich 3 2 4 4 5 0 18No Fox 1 3 5 0 5 0 14Past hack 2 1 5 5 0 0 13

Chocolate to Boiled lollies for the Juggernaut. Is the T 20 flag enough to keep them happy this year? Looks like it.
Great effort by the Hoops which gives them some well deserved breathing space from relegation trouble..
Mackie keeps finding ways to win. They won’t this week unless it rains. Their top order keep failing and rely on their tail. Can’t do that against good teams.
Golfers were terrible. Had the game under control when batting, then capitulated meekly.
The Royals just keep improving and are now a legitimate favourite to win the flag. Granted a distant second, but they are up there. Well done to Biggsy.
Spiders got a win and that is all they will be happy about. Not as convincing as last season but still there in the mix.
Wash Up’s now threatening for a finals position? Who would have thought that. They are safe from relegation and now can enjoy the rest of the season.
Le Page need the good Dr back desperately. Need some resolve and partnerships with their batting or start planning for Woolnough.
At 5/28 Uniting were looking forward to an early day. They got a scare alright. Not sure they would have coped with three defeats in 7 days.
Beach boys tail gave it everything and didn’t die wondering.

ROUND 7

Washington Park v Chelsea Heights
Bentleigh Uniting v Mackie
Kingston Heath v Brighton Union
Carnegie South v West Bentleigh
East Sandringham Boys Club v Le Page Park
Bentleigh ANA v Elwood

Cluden v Highett West
West Bentleigh v Hampton United
Aspendale Gardens v Washington Park
Hampton Central v Bentleigh Uniting
Moorabbin West v East Sandringham Boys Club
Omega v Bentleigh ANA

Tips for Round 7 - weather permitting

Washington Park v Chelsea Heights - Washups have steadily improved over the last few weeks
Bentleigh Uniting v Mackie - a big game for the top 2 sides, Uniting to win if their bowlers can stay fit.
Kingston Heath v Brighton Union - Union although they rely very heavily on Kuzma to score plenty of runs
Carnegie South v West Bentleigh - too much all round strength for West who are struggling in all areas of the game
East Sandringham Boys Club v Le Page Park - ESBC to bounce back, but their bowlers would want to improve
Bentleigh ANA v Elwood - match of the round, Elwood spinners to give them the advantage

Longmuir Shield
Washington Park
Bentleigh Uniting
Brighton Union
Carnegie South
E.S.B.C.
Bentleigh ANA

Woolnough Shield
Cluden
Hampton United
Aspendale Gardens
Hampton Central
Moorabbin West
Omega

ROUND 7

Washington Park v Chelsea Heights
Bentleigh Uniting v Mackie
Kingston Heath v Brighton Union
Carnegie South v West Bentleigh
East Sandringham Boys Club v Le Page Park
Bentleigh ANA v Elwood

Round 6 Preview
East over Union easily (The Juggernaut find themselves in unfamiliar mediocrity and cannot afford anymore ‘slip ups’ prior to Xmas. Hence they are my lock of the week with Guy Martyn due for a big score against a spirited but imperfect Hoops outfit).ANA over West Bentleigh easily (The Royals have been most impressive this campaign and West’s batting has been the laughing stock of the competition. Even without Biggsy, Brad Dolman will rip through the Cowboys tail and dismiss them for no more than 150)Carn Sth over Chelsea just (Really like the look of the Spiders’ Tom Lewis as he has an array of shots in his repertoire. However, down at Beazley he will not have all his own way and Luke Shelton is sure to trouble a few, No confidence on this one).Mackie over The Golfers easily (Park, Bott and Kinsella will ensure Kingston Heath are never in this one and Damien Krotofil is well overdue for a big score. All going well for the Machine).Le Page over Wash Ups just (Great win at home last week by WP, but the fact remains they were not playing one of the top teams and their bating has looked brittle on many occasions. Le Page has to win one soon and it may as well be here. Mick De Iacovo to be the difference).Uniting
over Elwood easily (Although you never know how much damage a quality spinner can do against even the best batsmen. Problem is, even if De Haan picks up three in the top order one of Manders, Russell or Lalor are likely to make a big score. Will be a high quality contest though)

Round 6 Review
4/6 (22/36 cumulative) was a fair return, but no one in CMCA circles could’ve envisaged the result at Hurlingham Park that has the Juggies labouring mid table, with the prospect of missing March action for the first time since Kim Pitt was in short pants, looming large. Darian Kuzma showed his fine leadership qualities again in a masterful display that allowed Union to win the match in the final over of the game by just two wickets. East Sandy were hardly disgraced but would never have dropped this game in season’s past. Cracker Deveraux still in great form. Conversely, Le Page are still displaying awful form and the Wash Ups did it easily, Nick Pryde having a fine game. Other games went as predicted, although a “chubbs” less Uniting let the Beach Boys get a lot closer than Messer’s Lalor and Russell would’ve liked. Simon Richards continued his stellar season with the bat. Being the half-way point of the season statistically, I reckon you can safely say that the top 3 are safe and one of Carnegie South, Elwood, Washington Park and East Sandy will grab 4th spot. Many will argue that ANA’s position is still up for grabs due to a soft draw, but they may only have to win two of their last five to make it and that they should do comfortably.

Round 7 preview

Wash ups over Chelsea just (Strange as it may sound, one must place the boys from Packer Park into finals calculations and whilst this column is not convinced of their mettle against the competitions elite, you’d think they’d get over the line here. No certainty though as Chelsea pushed the Spiders all the way last time out and I rate these two teams as very even. Ryan Heywood to prove the difference).

Uniting over the Machine just (Top of the table clash at Centenary is clear match of the round and should be a high standard game of much pressure. A great deal of interest with the toss and who is therefore able to put runs on the board and gain the psychological edge – although the forecast rain may place a spanner in the works as teams ponder bowling - Cannot select against Uniting even if Chubb’s does not come up from injury due to the guns they have in reserve. Tommy Backman to make a big score).

Union over the Golfers just (You just have to select Union on form due to the current ‘purple patch’ their Captain Darian Kuzma is in. Throw in Covey and Bell and their top end players are clearly better than the home side’s. The Heath will look to Pasialis with the ball to give them some hope, but they will just fall short).

Carn Sth over West Bentleigh easily (The Cowboys have often pummelled the Spiders in years gone by, but that was when Damien Casey was playing and Chopper Reid was still thundering in. It is a far different West outfit these days, as it is with Carnegie whose imports such as Lewis and Pereira have put a real polish on a finely run Bruce Haley unit. Can only go one way surely).

ESBC over Le Page easily (If I get this selection wrong I will begin following Richmond in the AFL. Guy Martyn and Mark Deveraux will feast on the Panthers feeble attack and post a 300 plus total if they bat first. Could be an outright on the cards if they bowl).

Elwood over ANA just (Real test for ANA in this one and I will be completely sold if they can beat the Beach Boys. However, Chawla and De Haan will bamboozle the home side who will struggle against two quality spinners. Biggsy is ANA’s hope and if he can get some support they are a chance, but Elwood possess the bigger guns in my view).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Jimmy has asked me to place his tips on the forum this round:

ROUND 7

Washington Park
Bentleigh Uniting
Kingston Heath
Carnegie South
East Sandringham Boys Club
Elwood

Highett West
Hampton United
Aspendale Gardens
Bentleigh Uniting
Moorabbin West

Omega

Longy:
Washington Park
Uniting
Union
Spiders
East Sandy
ANA

Wooly:
Highett West
Hampton Utd
Aspendale Gardens
Uniting
Westars
Us

Round 6 Preview
East over Union easily (The Juggernaut find themselves in unfamiliar mediocrity and cannot afford anymore ‘slip ups’ prior to Xmas. Hence they are my lock of the week with Guy Martyn due for a big score against a spirited but imperfect Hoops outfit).ANAover West Bentleigh easily (The Royals have been most impressive this campaign and West’s batting has been the laughing stock of the competition. Even without Biggsy, Brad Dolman will rip through the Cowboys tail and dismiss them for no more than 150)Carn Sth over Chelsea just (Really like the look of the Spiders’ Tom Lewis as he has an array of shots in his repertoire. However, down at Beazley he will not have all his own way and Luke Shelton is sure to trouble a few, No confidence on this one).Mackieover The Golfers easily (Park, Bott and Kinsella will ensure Kingston Heath are never in this one and Damien Krotofil is well overdue for a big score. All going well for the Machine).Le Pageover Wash Ups just (Great win at home last week by WP, but the fact remains they were not playing one of the top teams and their bating has looked brittle on many occasions. Le Page has to win one soon and it may as well be here. Mick De Iacovo to be the difference).Unitingover Elwood easily (Although you never know how much damage a quality spinner can do against even the best batsmen. Problem is, even if De Haan picks up three in the top order one of Manders, Russell or Lalor are likely to make a big score. Will be a high quality contest though)

Round 6 Review
4/6 (22/36 cumulative) was a fair return, but no one in CMCA circles could’ve envisaged the result at Hurlingham Park that has the Juggies labouring mid table, with the prospect of missing March action for the first time since Kim Pitt was in short pants, looming large. Darian Kuzma showed his fine leadership qualities again in a masterful display that allowed Union to win the match in the final over of the game by just two wickets. East Sandy were hardly disgraced but would never have dropped this game in season’s past. Cracker Deveraux still in great form. Conversely, Le Page are still displaying awful form and the Wash Ups did it easily, Nick Pryde having a fine game. Other games went as predicted, although a “chubbs” less Uniting let the Beach Boys get a lot closer than Messer’s Lalor and Russell would’ve liked. Simon Richards continued his stellar season with the bat. Being the half-way point of the season statistically, I reckon you can safely say that the top 3 are safe and one of Carnegie South, Elwood, Washington Park and East Sandy will grab 4th spot. Many will argue that ANA’s position is still up for grabs due to a soft draw, but they may only have to win two of their last five to make it and that they should do comfortably.

Round 7 preview

Wash ups over Chelsea just (Strange as it may sound, one must place the boys from Packer Park into finals calculations and whilst this column is not convinced of their mettle against the competitions elite, you’d think they’d get over the line here. No certainty though as Chelsea pushed the Spiders all the way last time out and I rate these two teams as very even. Ryan Heywood to prove the difference).

Uniting over the Machine just (Top of the table clash at Centenary is clear match of the round and should be a high standard game of much pressure. A great deal of interest with the toss and who is therefore able to put runs on the board and gain the psychological edge – although the forecast rain may place a spanner in the works as teams ponder bowling - Cannot select against Uniting even if Chubb’s does not come up from injury due to the guns they have in reserve. Tommy Backman to make a big score).

Union over the Golfers just (You just have to select Union on form due to the current ‘purple patch’ their Captain Darian Kuzma is in. Throw in Covey and Bell and their top end players are clearly better than the home side’s. The Heath will look to Pasialis with the ball to give them some hope, but they will just fall short).

Carn Sth over West Bentleigh easily (The Cowboys have often pummelled the Spiders in years gone by, but that was when Damien Casey was playing and Chopper Reid was still thundering in. It is a far different West outfit these days, as it is with Carnegie whose imports such as Lewis and Pereira have put a real polish on a finely run Bruce Haley unit. Can only go one way surely).

ESBC over Le Page easily (If I get this selection wrong I will begin following Richmond in the AFL. Guy Martyn and Mark Deveraux will feast on the Panthers feeble attack and post a 300 plus total if they bat first. Could be an outright on the cards if they bowl).

Elwood over ANA just (Real test for ANA in this one and I will be completely sold if they can beat the Beach Boys. However, Chawla and De Haan will bamboozle the home side who will struggle against two quality spinners. Biggsy is ANA’s hope and if he can get some support they are a chance, but Elwood possess the bigger guns in my view).

Good luck to all

Quasi

A pretty impressive bowling performance by Le Page's "feeble" attack on saturday. Justin Greer (5/45 off 15) & Oshan De Silva (3/51 off 19) bowling quick and getting good movement. Spinner Scott Hendy returning helped with 2/26 off 14.
As we all know, it makes a massive difference when you can get close to your best side on the park.
Only a new recruit for East Sandy could bat for an extended time, Brett Hampton made 76 not out.

Looks like a ripper contest next week!

The final round for 2012 is certainly looking very interesting.

Chelsea will make the Wash Ups work very hard, and if they want to be part of the finals then this is a must win for the Sharks. No doubt the close encounters of two seasons ago will not be forgotten when the Heighters managed to pip the Sharks in two big finals. Oh how the Sharks will want to repay avenge those losses.

Uniting has a match on their hands against the precocious Mackie combination. Budha would love to add the Uniting scalp to his collection. Uniting bat very deep and Mackie has a very good attack so it is game on. Lalor will be the key to this match.

The Golfers really need a win and they have done the hard work. There is no Typhoon Kinsella to deal with this week and they should get the points. Schwarze and Warner will be the key to the Golfers winning.

The Royals are in a good position, but Elwood will be buoyed by their big score against Uniting in the previous round. The small and fast Bertie Reserve will make this one a lot closer than it appears on paper. Andy Lee will play a big role in this game.

Sixteen wickets for 130 odd runs.Unbelievable.The Cowboys are on the ropes and look nearly out on their feet. If they can survive the first hour then it will be a very interesting finish to this match. The Spiders seemed to have returned to their wayward batting habits of three seasons ago. Peter Parker was last seen asking for a double scotch. Do you think Collo 3/0 will be keen to have a crack at the Cowboys batsmen?

The good Dr has come to the defence of his comrades pointing out what a lot of us have known, that the Panthers have a very good attack; when they can get them on the field. Unfortunately it has been their batting which has let them down this season. If the Juggernaut is not careful they could let this one slip and they will then be relying on others to determine their future. Young Greer can bat and has a couple of hundreds to his name. If he can put his head down and a few of his team mates do the same then game on.

To all a safe and merry Xmas and bring on the New Year if we can overcome the 21st December 2012.

Just in case Quasi:

Oh, we're from Tigerland,
A fighting fury, we're from Tigerland,
In any weather you will see us with a grin,
Risking head and shin,
If we're behind then never mind,
We'll fight and fight and win.

For we're from Tigerland,
We'll never weaken 'til the final siren's gone.
Like the Tigers of old,
We're strong and we're bold.
For we're from Tiger yellow and black,
For we're from Tigerland.

Been very quiet on the old forum front of recent times. Quasi seems to be safe, Clocker... for now...

Hope everyone enjoyed Christmas and has a great (& safe) New Year so we can all return to go to war in whites after the break!! :cool:

Back